gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 04:35:27 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: 10 Amp 14500 batteries for aa box mods
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 10 Amp 14500 batteries for aa box mods  (Read 7704 times)

Offline Visus

• PV Master

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: 10 Amp 14500 batteries for aa box mods
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
Looking at the discharge curves, DCR looks to be about 60 mOhms.  The table says 80 mOhms, but I've found that reviewer's measurement of DCR to be a little high all the time with respect to the discharge curves.  60 mOhms is really good for a 14500 in general, but it's a lot compared to the DCR of a VTC5 or HE2.  Though, you can parallel two of those 14500s to get DCR down to 30 mOhms which is pretty good, fine up to 40 Watts, maybe 50W at the outset. 

Don't know if I trust that stated 10A drain limit, especially from a China battery maker.  It's probably a burst limit putting the continuous rating down to 6A or so.  That's the latest fudge for China battery makers, using the burst limit instead of the continuous limit for the drain rating.  That's what eFest does on the purple 18650s.  That purple battery with 35A in big print is actually a 20A cell.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
Your calcs look to be on the money.

Yeah it says in big 10A but they do list 6.5A  and 9.75 burst but to someone who has no idea what either means and only sees 10A yeah lol..

Price wise, current,  and mah,  unbeatable in a 14500

so funny the guys on budgetlight forum chatting about being embarrassed because of the batts name and unknown brand status..

I love the look and feel of the aa mods, these just made it much easier to build more aa enclosures since I have a few left in stash.
They charge fast and I will have plenty 14500 sets after these so woot..

I have yet to build an 18650 mod and now, do not plan on it.. 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »
Yeah I like small mods too.  I'm not one who is ever going to use much more than 20W regularly so big power delivery is not of great need for me.  It's always nice to have the option though.  I build my mods as powerful as I can make them, but there's a side benefit of efficiency and reliability that comes with that.

Fortunately for use in e-cigs, the burst drain limit does apply.  So you can in fact utilize the 10A available with that 14500 in an e-cig.  However, there's a couple reason why it's better to use the continuous rating as a limitation.

For one, the higher the drain limit the better the power delivery.  Even though a cell can handle a burst limit, you're getting into a range of highly inefficient loading on the cell.  You're burning way more power in the cell itself than ideal.  You get big voltage drops when that happens.

Another reason to use the continuous limit is it provides a nice wide safety margin that ensures you will never overheat the cell in normal use.  Since an e-cig is something that spends a lot of time next to your face, safety is something you don't want to skimp on.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
Safety:
Just read a report about a 14500 shorting and the guy is a miner and said the explosion was louder than a stick of dynamite and ricocheted like a supersonic bullet..  The faulted 26650 battery at this months cloud contest in Texas vape bash did the same it took a huge chunk of marble flooring out and the ceiling with shrapnel going everywhere, there were a few scratched patrons by the shrapnel nothing serious, by miracle..
freaked_out:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/13539

Granted it wasn't an IMR14500 battery, it still makes a whoa and now changes my whole I am staying with 14500 and not 18650 batts cause if fault it will be smaller thoughts lol...  Seems it wont matter either way, lots of energy going on..

I am now rethinking purchase because of this statement on the testing
The curves tracks fairly well, but there is a small capacity difference between the two cells.

That would be a hurter on the charger since I charge them in parallel. 
We will wait and see with lots of hope.

One good thing in that post they did say that the charger was mtl issue, my homemade charger is awesome 4.15v on the button every charge...

:popcorn:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/13539

Can't think of a better example of A) why you should always use a quality charger and B) buy quality cells.  In his case, it probably was the charger since those chargers are maximal crap and can likely fail in a way that causes a battery explosion.

There's always going to be some small difference in charge capacity from one cell to the next just due to normal manufacturing tolerances.  Even so, quality makers have stricter tolerance for deviation and will reject cells that cheap makers would pass through.

Not many China battery makers can be called quality, generally it's the big name brands holding that distinction.  At least with China makers that are well known, they have some kind of track record there.

Any Li-Ion charger should have a dedicated channel for each slot.  If you make one yourself, you should design it that way.  For batteries permanently connected in parallel, they behave as one cell so there's no issue there.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: 10 Amp 14500 batteries for aa box mods

gfxgfx
gfx gfx