gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 07:33:52 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: TDK Lambda 100 watt chip
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: TDK Lambda 100 watt chip  (Read 33171 times)

Offline joubjonn

TDK Lambda 100 watt chip
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
just built a mod with the TDK Lambda 20 amp chip.
http://www.us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/specs/iaf.pdf
basically the same specs as the raptor 20amp or OKl2 chip. but
it's smaller and does not have all those options we really don't care about. only one on board we don't use would be the +sense which was easy to wire. I used a 20kohm pull up for the remot on/off, a 1kohm resistor plus 2kohm pot to give me  2.9V - 7.49V (I never go that high, probably should use a little larger set resistor).
using a 1300mAh 7.4V 2cell lipo. works fantastic. all day vape more or
less on one charge. this is a good chip. and usually in stock.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: TDK Lambda 100 watt chip
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
Smashing great finds jou..

What good is a search function if it no turns up these regs.  I have used digi and mous, their search function time and again,  put in proper specs and this module did not show up I have also just went thru all of them from main selection..

Must be newish I wanna hope it is or I have no idea how to use search  :laughing:

ya its badarse at 7.4v input really good eff
yeah it says 3%= .21 max over 7Vi,  stretching it at 6Vo 

Here's the full spec sheet
http://www.us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/appnotes/iaf12_datasheet.pdf

Nice addition  :thumbsup:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
Yes, nice find.  I use TDK capacitors a lot, but had never noticed they're in the POL regulator business as well.  One odd thing though, the full spec sheet shows a part with lots of capacitance on it implying you don't need external caps, but the other document shows very little capacitance on the board.  Which represents the actual part.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
actually TDK bought Lambda which was in the power supply buisness. this from the sales guy that called me. the one I used in my mod is iAF12020A007-003-R. no capacitors used on mine. I really believe for our application they are not nessessary. a lot of these non-isolated modules are used on servers and telecom equipment where line noise could be an issue. we really don't care about that, in my opinion.

I love this chip. it's so small. fits in the smaller alum Hammond box with my lipo, volt reader, three way switch and that nice big expensive vishay pot. if I was building and selling mods this is the chip I would use in every one.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
I really believe for our application they are not nessessary. a lot of these non-isolated modules are used on servers and telecom equipment where line noise could be an issue. we really don't care about that, in my opinion.

Yes, voltage ripple is not a concern so you don't need large amounts of capacitance, but there is an amount of capacitance required just for the converter to function.  They must have come up with a way to reduce that requirement.

The board in the data sheet with more on-board capacitors is what I'd expect to see for any converter.  The one without them is impressive for the lack of them, unless of course that part calls for external capacitors which they do sometimes.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
Jou its been noted that using caps extends batts a bit.  Its the main reason they are used on mods built by Mamu or Break fully tested with and without..  You may wanna give a mod a go with caps and see if it does offer a bit more legs to the battery.

Of course using em w/ a passthru  option makes no sense but ya...

I love the 600k freq vape its smooooooth  much nicer vape than 150-300k IMO both are great but ya 600k ftw..  the raptor/okr's are ~600k vapes.  I would love this chip its solid at 600k..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »
500 to 600kHz is sort of sweet spot for small, high power DC-DC converters, gives a good trade-off for efficiency and component size.  The lower frequencies are typically used with larger parts where larger components can be used for an improvement in efficiency.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
I'll give it a try. more battery is always nice. I will say I started vaping today on my 30 min ride to work at 7:15AM with 8.4V on lipo. vaped all day and today at 5:30 I still had 8V. this is with a .5ohm coil at 3.6V. same setup with an OKR chip I don't think I would have lasted as long. I have a few 100uF tantalum caps I can use. also have some SMD low ESR neo tantalum caps I can try.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
So it's been a couple weeks on this TDK chip, my everyday vape, it's been fantastic. I sometime switch to my OKL2 20A box, but it just doesn't compare. I don't know really know why. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the lipo vs the 18650 VTC5's in my OKL box, or I skimped on a solder joint. . I run a .6 ohm 24ga coil on a veritas RDA. Just can't beat it. Now I just need to figure out how to USB charge a 2 cell lipo in a small package! Right now I have to pop off the magnet cover and pull the charge cord so it's no big deal but a little micro USB would be nice.

Offline ambivalent

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
I'm quite interested to see that there is also a chip available for 2.4-5.5v input with 0.6-3.6v output which can still handle 20 amps,  this would need low ohms coils to work well but could make it alot simpler in terms of on board chargers and such wouldn't it?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
You'd have to check the drop-out on that, usually it makes it impractical to use a single cell or parallel cells with a step-down converter.

It would be a lot easier (and better for charge time) to simply add a balance charger plug to the mod and use an inexpensive balance charger to charge you series cells; 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49338__Turnigy_E3_Compact_2S_3S_Lipo_Charger_100_240v_US_Plug_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9735__JST_XH_2S_Wire_Extension_20cm_10pcs_bag_.html

Offline ambivalent

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »
I realise its most commonly used in a 2S set up with an 8.4 input voltage,  but is there any reason why this couldn't be run using a 3S lipo pack for a 12.6v input?   I'm thinking about this because with 12v out batttery output available small solenoids become possibly useable as a squonking operator option. :)  Its just a vague idea in the back of my mind at the moment though.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
You can use a 3S if the input voltage range is there.  Not sure which converter you're talking about at this point, but most can accept up to 14V.  Higher input voltage is better.  You get a wider output voltage range and these converters are designed to run optimally with a 12V input anyway.  Their intended application is for telecomms stuff that usually has a 12V rail.

Offline dravell

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
Im going to have to pick a few of these up, their size makes them very tempting to play around with. Havent seen them before.

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »
I'm a long time lurker here getting ready to build my first mod. I've been vaping for almost 3 years and using rebuildable atomizers for the majority of that.
I am very intrested in using this converter with a 3s lipo and using a balancing charger like Craig suggested.
This mod will not be used for "cloud chasing". I'm just tired of tolerating voltage sag. It will probably never be used over 50 watts but I do like the idea of performance redundancy.
In the intrest of keeping things simple, I don't need reverse polarity protection (battery will be hard wired), also no volt meter I'll use an external.
I am somewhat challenged when it comes to electronics, but I am very capable when it comes to fabrication and machining.
Ive read most of the threads in this forum and am sure that I could order a pile of parts and breadboard everything but would rather not fry a converter in the process.
Would someone be willing to draw a schematic that I could follow for this build?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If no one wants to, I will throw something together and post a schematic myself. I truly appreciate this forum and all of the members. I think it is such a great thing, the way you all share your knowledge and thank all of you for what I have learned here so far.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
I actually just used the datasheet and went from there. It's like an instruction booklet. It's not any different (except chip pin-out) then okr-t10 schematic, just the resistor for the pot. I used a 1k (I think) set resistor with a 2k vishay pot. And also a 1.4k pull up resistor. If I ever get some time I'll try and write out a schematic for you.

One little issue with this board, I didn't notice until recently. It's limiting me at around 75 watts for some reason. I think maybe it would like an 11v battery instead of a 8.4v battery. Either way, I have built 2 of these TDK mods and they work great.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
I actually just used the datasheet and went from there. It's like an instruction booklet. It's not any different (except chip pin-out) then okr-t10 schematic, just the resistor for the pot. I used a 1k (I think) set resistor with a 2k vishay pot. And also a 1.4k pull up resistor. If I ever get some time I'll try and write out a schematic for you.

One little issue with this board, I didn't notice until recently. It's limiting me at around 75 watts for some reason. I think maybe it would like an 11v battery instead of a 8.4v battery. Either way, I have built 2 of these TDK mods and they work great.

Wondering  what ohms your at when you try above 75watts as the data sheet @5v it should shred up to 120 watts.  It's  most  efficient @5v or any vaping voltages using 7vin even better @4.5v up to 20a. 

It is only pulling up to 7 watts dissipation @20a  too,  hmn maybe fudging capabilities a bit..  :laughing:

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
I take it back. I think it might have been the error in the pot, or it was sticking. I just tried it and got 6.66V with a .48 coil. which is around 100 watts. I'll have to try it on my other one. it was happening to both of them.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
I take it back. I think it might have been the error in the pot, or it was sticking. I just tried it and got 6.66V with a .48 coil. which is around 100 watts. I'll have to try it on my other one. it was happening to both of them.

Great news cause thats a healthy chipset.  They went thru a lot of  trouble posting every which causation heaving badarse out there..

My pots acted weird all the time well if I didn't swing it frequently but I found ground.  After I re-wired and soldered and direct batt ground not many problems, less jumpy, and no brownout.  Weird..

Troubleshooting these chips without knowledge of ohmages are mindboggling all pins show continuity lol
WTH   freaked_out:

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:34 AM »
How is the battery life with this converter? I saw in your earlier posts that you were using a 1300 mah 2s battery and getting a full day with it. I currently am using a Orchid atomizer at .4 ohm for my all day vape using 3 to 4 mil per day. Just asking because Mamu said the battery life with the okr2 was impressive but it sounds like that converter is a pita, and you said you prefer this converter to your okr.
I'm just asking because I want to build as small of a Mod as possible and only charge at night. The Hammond 1590 is just too big for me to use all day. I'm thinking of using 3 of the 1200 mah turnergy lipos from hobby king or possibly a 3s lipo. Just trying to change up the form a little bit, but it is hard to beat the 18650 form. Also I haven't seen very many 11.1 volt mods out there.
Am I correct in thinking that a 1200 mah 11.1 battery is going to have the equivalent of a 3600 mah 3.7 volt battery? I am currently using a mechanical mod and a Sony VTC5 2500mah. It just barely gets me through a day.
I'm starting to see how I'm probably going to end up building 10 mods before I get a design worked out. Lol

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
Converters conserve power so you actually need to look at Watt-hours, not Amp-hours.  In that case it's roughly mean voltage times Amp-hours (the exact number is the area under the discharge curve, an integral).  One 1200 mAh cell would provide approximately 4.4 Watt-hours and three 1200 mAh cells in series would provide approximately 13.3 Watt-hours.  There would be three times more run time with three cells in series compared to a single cell. 

There is a small loss to be considered since converters are not 100% efficient, but it's usually under 10% and as little as 5% so it doesn't throw off the estimation a whole lot.

Oh, the hobby LiPos are specified with the Amp-hour rating of each cell in the pack.  A 2S 1200 mAh battery has two 1200 mAh cells and a 3S 1200mAh battery has three 1200mAh cells.  So a 2S 1200mAh battery has about 8.9 Watt-hours and a 3S 1200mah Battery has about 13.3 Watt-hours.

An additional thing you can do with Watt-hours is look at run times in terms of hit counts.  Here's an example,

A single hit is about 3 seconds long and if the power level utilized is say 20W, then each hit is 16 milli-Joules. 

That 16mJ comes from 3 seconds divided by 3600 seconds times utilized power.  Watts are Joules per second so Watt-hours are actually Joules by definition, but in terms of hours instead of seconds. 

8.9 Wh divided by 16mJ is about 530 hits, 13.3 Wh divided by 16mJ is about 800 hits.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:55:12 PM by CraigHB »

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:59 PM »
Thanks Craig! That was an awesome explanation

The battery life is very good with this chip. I get all day with heavy vaping. I try not to let the battery go to below 7.4V. But you can go as low as 7V 

I did have that problem again, only go as high as 5V with a .4 ohm coil. With atomizer off it will fire 7.4V. Tried two different atomizers on two different mods that have the TDK chip will all the same components including the battery. It's a EFlight 2S 7.4 1300mAh battery. I'm thinking the batt must be doing this?  I don't get it. The other night it fired correctly, same Atty with same build it fired 6.66V. It's weird.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
Welcome.

I don't know what is causing the problem you are seeing, but one thing to consider is that small resistances can have considerable effect at higher power demands.  With high power comes high current demand which can make a small resistance cause a considerable voltage drop. 

For example, if you are asking say 60W output then you need about 60W plus converter losses (10% worst case) from the battery.  Divided by a mean 7.4V that's going to be about 9A with demand going up as battery voltage falls off.

The effect of a 9A draw from the battery is made evident by the resistance seen in the current path.  Each cell has probably about 15 mOhms DCR (internal cell resistance) plus there's probably another 5 or 10 mOhms in the connection to the board.  So with 40 mOhms in the path of current flow, there's going to be a drop of 360mV or about a third of a Volt.  If you are measuring say 7.4V open circuit on the battery, then under load the board is going to see about 7.1V. 

Another thing that happens with Li-Ion batteries is cell DCR goes up quickly as the battery approaches a discharged state.  So the sag in voltage under load becomes more pronounced when the battery gets low in charge.

There's also regulator drop-out.  This is the amount input voltage needs to be higher than output voltage to maintain regulation.  All regulators have this requirement.  It varies from regulator to regulator, but for buck or step-down converters it can be a pretty large amount, as much as 2 Volts.  In that case, input voltage needs to be at least 7V to maintain a 5V output voltage.

I can't say what's causing your problem, but battery voltage sag is always something to consider.  Assuming a battery can deliver the open circuit voltage under load can be the cause of some headaches.  You may want to verify that you are not seeing big losses in the power connection to the converter board.

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »
I ordered the supplies that I'll need to build a lambda box mod. I'm going to use a 850 mAh 3s 35c battery with a balance lead. I'm hoping using a 11.1v battery will be a good test to see if voltage sag is the problem you're experiencing. Also using Craig's advice this battery should have about 9.44 watt hours if I did my math right. (3.7v X .850 X 3 = 9.44 watt hours
Using this formula  my VTC5 is 2500 mAh and gets me through a day of vaping (3.7v X 2.5 = 9.25 watt hours)
I think I'm cutting it close but I'm sure my VTC5's capacity is starting to fall off so the only way to find out is to build it and see what happens
I also ordered a balance charger. The $12 Hobby King charger is back ordered so I ordered a $30 charger from Amazon.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm still trying to educate myself. This charger can discharge the battery and recharge from a completely dead state, I'm assuming this refreshes the battery's memory so that it will continue to have complete capacity. This option seemed worth a couple extra bucks.
With my limited knowledge of electronics...
Will there be a problem charging while the battery is hard wired in, or do I need to make the battery connections removable?
It doesn't seem like it would be a problem but then I remembered reading a thread that BreakTru was using a multi-pole switch with series batteries so that they would be taken out of series during charging.
I can't find the thread but I'm thinking it must have been so that a single USB charging chip could be used but that doesn't make sense either.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:12:44 AM by NLvapor »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
This charger can discharge the battery and recharge from a completely dead state, I'm assuming this refreshes the battery's memory so that it will continue to have complete capacity.

I'm not sure which "option" you're talking about, but one of the advantages of the Li-Ion battery type is they don't suffer any memory effect.  The hobby LiPos are one of several types of Li-Ion batteries.  The NiMH and NiCad rechargeable battery types do suffer from the memory effect.  What that means is the cells need to be cycled from fully flat to fully charged on occasion or they lose charge capacity. 

The NiCad type is pretty much obsolete superseded by the NiMH type.  NiMH cells are rarely used in e-cigs, though they can be with the advantage of no safety concerns.  Since they carry a nominal 1.2V per cell compared to a nominal 3.7V per cell for a Li-Ion battery, they are not terribly practical since you need a number of them.  And then they don't deliver power nearly as efficiently as a Li-Ion battery.

Li-Ion batteries have safety concerns in that they are flammable and can ignite violently if super heated.  This can happen electrically due to a short circuit or overload.  Another issue is they suffer chemical damage when drained below a minimal voltage.  It varies depending the Li-Ion type, but the LiPos can not be taken below 3.0V per cell (9V for a 3s battery).  They come off the charger at 4.2V per cell.  They are also highly sensitive to terminal charging voltage.  They suffer damage if charged above the maximal 4.2V per cell and can ignite if taken grossly above that voltage.

One additional concern with the LiPo type is they are encased only in a thick foil instead of a steel tube like the round cells.  They are highly vulnerable to physical damage so they need to be enclosed in a way that protects them physically.  Any puncture will invariably cause the battery to ignite.

To be honest, there are so many safety concerns with Li-Ion cells you would think that nobody would use them, but they are safe when protected electrically (and physically for the LiPos).  They perform markedly better than any other battery type.

In terms of a balance charger compared to a single cell charger (like the USB type) there's no difference other than a single cell charger uses one channel and a balance charger uses two or more channels.  When charging a 3s LiPo for example, the charging connector allows each of three channels to connect to each cell individually.  The charging profile used on each cell is exactly the same as a single cell charger. 

An additional requirement of a balance charger is it needs a supply voltage equal to the total terminal battery voltage plus some overhead.  Since a USB connector only supplies 5V, it can only charge one cell or a set of parallel cells.  A 3s balance charger requires a 14V supply.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:12:45 PM by CraigHB »

Offline wshappley7496

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 04:22:29 AM »
I'm a noob, but already switched to lipos, for cheep charger i been using these about 2 months so far so good.Upgraded 7.4V Li-po Battery Charger Box Set DH 9101-24 DH 9101-25. use coupling sent with package lipo hook up wires. cut square hole bam you got charging port.is there more info on this chip.wiring and where to buy thanks.also been thinking about 11.1 volt lpos. nowhere as experienced as you guys but thankful for this forum. learn sooo much thank all of you all!

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
so this will be wire exactly the same as the OKR builds?

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
the same except for the pot and set resistor. I think I used a 200 ohm resistor as the set but should have used a larger one. like 1k maybe. then I used a 2k vishay pot. the nice one that's small and can be mounted on the outside of the box. I used the Hammond smaller size box for both my TDK 100 watt Lipo builds. and also used magnets so I could pop the top off and just grab the charge cord. it works well. for my OKR box I used the larger Hammond box with a lipo and the only thing on the outside is the 510 and a little tactile. I keep one of those Lipo testers you can buy off ebay for like $5 in the box and just pull it out and connect the charge cord to check the battery voltage.

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I've got most of my parts in for building my Lambda mod.
I will be using a 850 mAh 3s 50c battery ( 9.44 watt hours). I'm planning on hard wiring it with a balance port exposed. Possibly on the bottom and making a charging cradle for it to sit in while charging.
Does anyone have a suggestion of how I would go about having a low battery voltage safety cut off and possible LED warning for 3s 11.1v? 10v cut off?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:25:09 PM by NLvapor »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
You can use a comparator if you can find one with 12V tolerance.  Here's one;

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmp7300.pdf

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
Thanks CraigHB!
I'm trying to read through the spec sheet to figure out how to wire it.
I saw that Mamu used one on her okl20t mod. She was kind enough to show how she wired it so I could copy hers but hers is for 7.4v. Was hers set for 7.4v by factory specs or was that manipulated by her resistor choices?
It sounded like she still over discharged her bat.
Didn't notice LED or coparator values set too close to bat failure point?
Guess I should read up on how one works before I go any further.

I was thinking that I should use a MOSFET for the main power from bat to converter, and have a main power switch and fire button ran in series to trigger the MOSFET.
I'm thinking of a MOSFET being like a relay with only one trigger line either positive or negative ( p logic or n logic) depending on the unit specs. Hopefully I've got that right.
Could the comparator be used in series on the control circuit ( normaly closed )in line with the master switch and fire button so that it would interrupt during a low voltage situation.
Sorry to sound like a bone head.
Just trying to wrap my head around electronics.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
Yes you can drive a MOSFET with that comparator.  Should be able to make the MOSFET do double duty so it operates as a trigger switch as well as control for under-voltage detection.  That particular comparator is "micro-power" so there shouldn't be a problem with the draw when the mod is idle.  Thresholds for detection are set by resistor values so you can set it to trip at the correct voltage.

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
One last question before I go beat my head against a wall for a while.
By using a MOSFET for double duty on this mod. Would I also be able to use it in conjunction with a touch switch as well?
If so do you have a suggestion for which fet to use?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Possibly.  To use one MOSFET you would put a tactile trigger switch in series with the comparator output.  Maybe use a touch pad there instead with the high value resistors as required. 

In terms of the FET, you don't have the limitations of a single cell.  Pretty much any MOSFET will do, needs to be N-channel I think, have to look at the logic polarity on that comparator, active low or active high.  Just go for the lowest on-state resistance in the preferred package.  Make sure it has a gate-source voltage tolerance of at least 20V.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:08:53 PM by CraigHB »

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
Do I still use a 1.4k ohm pull up resistor for the on/off circuit when using a 11.1v 3s?
Are the sense + / sense - needed? If so, connect to the atty connections?
I picked up some 9a Littelfuse SMD fuses. Thinking of paralleling 2 or 3 of them direct to the back of the converter. I'm trying to get everything as compact as possible. Even thinking of using SMD resistors for the trim and on/off circuits.
There are 2 different variations of this board. 1 without caps and 1 with caps.
I bought the one with caps I believe...  IAF12020A007V-007-R
Should I still add a cap?

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
yes you will need the 1.4k pull up. look at the digi key website for this chip part number and see the data sheet summery, this chip doesn't have all the features like -sense. see the pinout on the summery page. connect +sense to Vout. you can jump it across the board. I did not use caps on mine, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. soldering SMD resistors would be difficult unless you make a board and mount it all on. let me know how it goes, I still seem to be limited to about 65 watts on mine. it works great besides that. I use a 7.4V lipo 1300mAh.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
jou its because of sag it wont give ya the full 20A page 11 of the data sheet

If you hadda capped it may give ya the full 20A @ 7.4v without caps its hella noisy and they act goofy when noisy..

Sony's vt batts would hold out the longest per Vin 2s
forget efest they definitely wont do it unless 3s..

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
your probably right Visus. when I get to work in the morning and get my hands on a decent soldering kit I'll hook up a couple SMD neo-tantalum caps and see what happens. my OKL t20 mod has no problem getting 100 watts without the caps. have to admit, I got one of those Sigelei 100watt mods and have been using that primarily for everyday vaping. need to get back to my homemade boxes!  waiting for a Lemo RBA in the mail, that will go on the TDK mod for driving vape I think.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »
update: added 22uF to the output and 320 uF all tantalum to input (which is about what the datasheet suggested in an example circuit diagram) and I'm right at exactly 120 watts, which is overclocked slightly but slightly twice what the output was without them!! Melted a couple coils on accident. This thing is powerful.

Did some experimenting and you really do need 320 uF or above to get the 120 watt output. I tried 220 and was limited to 80 watts

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Do you have a link to the 320uF cap?
I tried to search on Mouser for a SMD Mlcc cap but the only 2 I found were 2.5v and 4v.
Should I be using a 16v for a 3s battery?

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
yes 16V, i used a 337E yellow color SMD tantalum capacitor. it's more square then rectangular.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
their is a lot of debate on what is the best capacitor to use. I just picked what I had. you could use radial tantalum, SMD, or MLCC which is probably the best. 

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
good find jou

nl you can use three 100uf and a 20 or just 4 100's or a 220 and 100
I think 4 is the limit I am not sure craig says something about cancellation if use to many
16v is fine but usually double input voltage is minimum.
i picked up the wrong caps and are using a 100uf 6v on a 4.2v reg mod
no issues very tight but I rarely vape @6v lol..

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »
if you have scrap electronics, you could torch off the SMD tantalum caps and use those. just check the numbers and cross reference with an AVX PDF file. that's what I did. tantalum caps are difficult to ruin with heat, same for MLCC's but I have no idea how to tell an MLCC rating by sight alone and they are not marked

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
The best ones to use for DC power filtering are the tantalum polymers and the OSD type which utilize a solid organic polymer.  They're more expensive, but they have the lowest ESR which makes them most effective in doing the job the capacitor is employed to do.  They are available in high values such as 330uF.  However, the tantalum polymers get real expensive at higher voltage ratings.  The solid polymer electrolytics are probably going to be the best way to go on that.  Here's an example; 

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/RR71C331MDN1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvR1wrj203KOCqOaCjKxmF5iub%2f7JWhFSs%3d

Standard tantalums are the worst capacitors to use for power filtering as they have the highest ESR.  They are used only for signal conditioning primarily because of that reason.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:09:15 PM by CraigHB »

Offline uncletattoowhat

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
First post here, but I've been watching this thread and this forum for a while now and love the information.

I just wanted to say that I built my first TDK box the other night using this thread and the datasheet as a guide. I managed to fit it all inside a 1590G box with an Integral Vapes G drop in sled, 12mm switch, and volt meter. Since its my personal box, I decided not to use caps, fuses, a P-fet or a zener this time around. Its a really REALLLY tight fit, but it works.

I was having the hardest time getting it to fire as I used the OKR diagram as a reference until I read far enough down the datasheet to realize it's actually wired more like the OKL and the switch activates off the negative, not the positive. Not bad for a 2:30am on a Sunday night epiphany.

I used the 2kohm pot and 1kohm resistor as suggested with a 20k pull up resistor from on/off to VIN per the datasheet. For its compact size and power output, my OKL and Raptor B boxes have been sitting on the shelf since I built it.

Cheers for the info! If anyone wants, I can put together a quick diagram of how I wired mine (as i work better off diagrams and had to draw my own on the datasheet to follow lol).

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
Nice going uncle tat. Congrats on your build.

Offline NLvapor

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
Great job Uncle Tat!
What chip did you use? The iAF12020A007-003-R or iAF12020A007-007-R?
The iAF12020A007-007-R is rated to have on board capacitors as far as I understand.
A schematic would be awesome if you have the time.
Pics too! Box porn is always awesome.
Ive picked up everything to build a couple Lambdas but just haven't had time.
In the mean time I'm embarrased to admit that I broke down and bought a IPV3 150w and a Yihi SXmini 60w.
These are my first two regulated mods. Still playing with different atomizer setups.
One thing I've learned is that 150 watts is a lot of POWER.
The SXmini is an AWESOME mod! 45w seems to be plenty of power for my all day Orchid atty at .5 ohm.
I'm really hoping to build these Lambdas as compact as possible so I can get more life between charges.
Really liking the look of the Zero mod. I might shoot for that type of design rather than doing the Hammod box thing.

Offline uncletattoowhat

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
Great job Uncle Tat!
What chip did you use? The iAF12020A007-003-R or iAF12020A007-007-R?
The iAF12020A007-007-R is rated to have on board capacitors as far as I understand.
A schematic would be awesome if you have the time.
Pics too! Box porn is always awesome.
Ive picked up everything to build a couple Lambdas but just haven't had time.
In the mean time I'm embarrased to admit that I broke down and bought a IPV3 150w and a Yihi SXmini 60w.
These are my first two regulated mods. Still playing with different atomizer setups.
One thing I've learned is that 150 watts is a lot of POWER.
The SXmini is an AWESOME mod! 45w seems to be plenty of power for my all day Orchid atty at .5 ohm.
I'm really hoping to build these Lambdas as compact as possible so I can get more life between charges.
Really liking the look of the Zero mod. I might shoot for that type of design rather than doing the Hammod box thing.
I used IAF12020A007V-007-R.

Here's the quick PowerPoint schematic I made at home and used to wire mine. (Like I stated it’s similar to the OKL so any master switches, fuses, caps should be similar).

And here's a few pics of the box I did it all in. They're not the best, it's what I had at 2am when I finished it. The inside isn’t the cleanest as some of the wires were placed while diagnosing the firing problem I had and the chip is buried underneath everything. I also wish I had waited longer before working on it after painting it to give it time to cure, as you can see the brown primer under some of the paint lol. I'm also upset that the slide switch i used was too long to fit in the hole I cut above the voltage meter, even after snipping the legs down to the base. And, the voltage meter is a 0.36" I had laying around, so next time I really want to use a smaller one. It just looks too cramped for my taste. No pics of the chip wiring either. If I do another one, I have things I want to do differently and will try to do some step by step pictures.

I wouldn’t be ashamed of picking up an ipv3! Heck, every time I see a deal for one I'm tempted. I have a Sigelei 100w for my wife and just sold an ipv2 I was using before I built my first OKR box. Right now, 110w is plenty for my needs, but I still wish I had a little more overhead for running my super low 0.12-0.18ohm builds I run on my mech mod lol.

As far as battery life, I put fully charged batteries in when I leave for work. I take four to five 20min vape breaks a day. Then come home and vape all night. Before I took the batteries out last night, the voltage was at 7.37v on the meter in the box. I'm left to assume I could easily go two full days on one set of batteries if I wanted to.

Also, if anyone sees any issues with my “diagram”, please let me know so I can change it.

Offline joubjonn

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
I would suggest adding the capacitors suggested in the data sheet. I could only fire mine at around 60-65 watts without the caps.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: TDK Lambda 100 watt chip

gfxgfx
gfx gfx