gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 09:05:59 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Would this work? Anyone done it?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Would this work? Anyone done it?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline windxrunner

Would this work? Anyone done it?
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
So I'm in the process of learning to build my own mods. I'm currently undertaking my first project, an unregulated dual parallel 18650 box mod.

I just watched the tutorial on voltage regulators.  So I was thinking about how a battery starts out firing 4.2v and drops a bit with every vape. What if you ran the batteries in series and used a 4.2v voltage regulator?  You'd get the same dual 18650 unregulated box mod experience, but with literally ZERO voltage drop. Are there voltage regulators that can handle sub ohm amperage?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Would this work? Anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
That's basically what most of us have been doing here. Using a DC/DC converter keeps a consistent output voltage regardless of the battery declined voltage. Whether it be a step up (boost) converter (single battery) or a step down converter (batteries in series).
The DC/DC step up converter can handle sub ohms. Particularly the higher amp output models. All this info can be found in this forum. Check out the 20A Raptor and OKL2

Dual parallel 18650 unregulated suffers the same effect as a single 18650 as the 4.2v declines.

Offline windxrunner

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
yeah, but the 20A raptor is variable voltage, and I'm not sure about the OKL, but I'm familiar with the OKR and I know that is variable voltage as well.  Can you link me to a thread where someone uses a voltage regulator to keep it going at exactly 4.2v?  I'm wanting to do it basically exactly like the dual parallel 18650 unregulated box mod I'm doing now, with the only differences being the batteries in series and a voltage regulator keeping it at exactly 4.2v at all times.  I don't want to make one that is variable voltage.  I want to feel like it's a perfect unregulated box mod with zero voltage drop for the length of the charge (obviously because it is in fact regulated).  You get what I mean?  Like how I have sometimes wished all mechanicals could function.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
There's only one practical way for an e-cig to increase a DC voltage and that's with a boost converter.  There aren't any off the shelf that can handle the high currents of a very low resistance atomizer.  You can design one yourself with one of many controller chips available, but it's not a trivial task.  There are several practical ways for an e-cig to reduce the voltage when using series cells including linear regulation, step-down DC-DC conversion, and PWM. 

You can make regulation variable or fixed.  It's simply a matter of using a variable scheme typically done with a potentiometer or making it a fixed output typically done with a set resistor.

It may be possible to do something unusual to boost voltage.  You could use an inverter to go to AC and step up voltage in the process.  There's no reason you can't drive an atomizer with AC, but it's not something typically done for an e-cig due to the high overhead in part count.  Plus it requires a transformer and they're pretty large for the currents you would see with a sub-Ohm atomizer.  The efficiency is not that great either and efficiency is always key with battery powered stuff.

Offline windxrunner

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
Ok, thank you CraigHB, that was a more direct answer to my question. I appreciate your reply. It appears that while it sounds like a good idea to me, it is, in all actuality, too difficult to be worthwhile to do what I was wanting in any way other than building it like a VV device but leaving the voltage fixed. And I'm not going to do that because if I took the time to install a Raptor chip in a mod, I wouldn't want to limit myself by removing the variable aspect of the mod.  Thanks again.

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
With an OKR or Raptor, connecting a 324 ohm resistor to the trim pin (instead of the usual 220 ohm resistor in series with a 200 ohm potentiometer) will output about 4.24 volts.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=324%3D1182%2F%28V-0.591%29

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4DCT52R3240F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsPqMdJzcrNwk4M%252bI85OEMFfwv8COE6NOY%3d

With a 10 amp OKR-T/10 or Raptor NQR010 @ 4.24v you can fire a 0.42 ohm coil

With a 20 amp Raptor NSR020 @ 4.24v you can fire a 0.22 ohm coil

http://www.theecigstop.com/ecal.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:40:21 PM by david4500 »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Would this work? Anyone done it?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx