gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 19, 2024, 07:46:22 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Ever break a drill bit?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ever break a drill bit?  (Read 9810 times)

Offline blkbd

Ever break a drill bit?
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:51:48 AM »
I was modifying my V4 Fogger and in the process of opening the holes to a #43 drill bit I broke off a bit completely in the hole, raged: After some thought scared: I realized the bit was HSS and the base was 304 SS. So the best way to get it out was to dissolve it with a acid, I soaked the base in concentrated lemon juice and a teaspoon of table salt and about 24 hours later the broken bit fell out in a black mass that turned to black sludge when rubbed between my fingers. Now my Fogger is back up and running and able to lung hit from the small increase in hole size with the flavor still there. So next time you snap a bit it may not be the end of your mod/atty. Hope this helps.    :beer-toast:   

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Ever break a drill bit?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
Good tip on using lemon juice and salt  :rockin smiley:
Yeah SS is a bitch to drill. I bought some Cobalt drills for drilling SS and still struggled drilling out the air hole.

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
Very smart thinking!  :beer-toast:

Does make me think about a post I read, I think it was on Fasttech, where someone drilled an atty, and then was complaining that it had rust stains.  They were blaming the mfg., when it was they who contaminated it.  :(

Wayne

Offline blkbd

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »
Very smart thinking!  :beer-toast:

Does make me think about a post I read, I think it was on Fasttech, where someone drilled an atty, and then was complaining that it had rust stains.  They were blaming the mfg., when it was they who contaminated it.  :(

Wayne

No stains or streaks on the SS, I guess the lemon and salt completely dissolved it before it could bind in the pores. I know about SS contamination as you would never clean a SS firearm unlike a blued one with #0000 steel wool unless you wanted to ruin your firearm.

Offline blkbd

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
Good tip on using lemon juice and salt  :rockin smiley:
Yeah SS is a bitch to drill. I bought some Cobalt drills for drilling SS and still struggled drilling out the air hole.

TY  :beer-toast:

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »
No stains or streaks on the SS, I guess the lemon and salt completely dissolved it before it could bind in the pores. I know about SS contamination as you would never clean a SS firearm unlike a blued one with #0000 steel wool unless you wanted to ruin your firearm.

Yeah, IIRC, the guy had also broken off a bit, but didn't think as clearly as you, just attacked it with another bit, generating a load of non-stainless shavings in the process, I'm sure. I think your solution is probably the perfect one.  Kind of jealous,  wish I'd thought of it.  :D

Offline hyenaboy34

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
how many of you are using cutting oil when doing this too. I always use the right bit for the metal with cutting oil and low speed, yeah you have to clean it but you also save the blade on your bit  :)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
WD40 actually makes for a pretty good cutting oil, but yeah, makes a big difference especially for hard metals. 

Offline hyenaboy34

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
yeah wd40 is just fine for what we deal with. I have so much from dealing with titanium though, so much cheaper to buy in bulk and it lasts so stinking long with as little as I have to use now  :)

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »
FYI, broke a bit in a fastech kayfun clone, and this works great.  If your in a hurry, "steeping" it in hot water seems to accelerate the process.  Thanks, blkbd.  :thankyou:

Offline blkbd

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 06:30:24 AM »
FYI, broke a bit in a fastech kayfun clone, and this works great.  If your in a hurry, "steeping" it in hot water seems to accelerate the process.  Thanks, blkbd.  :thankyou:

:beer-toast: Glad it helped.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:33:25 AM by blkbd »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Ever break a drill bit?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx