gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 05:18:38 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Please help I need a 90 degree or less POT
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Please help I need a 90 degree or less POT  (Read 4072 times)

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
Please help I need a 90 degree or less POT
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »
I hate to keep being a newb but I am looking for a pot that only has 90 degrees or less of travel.  The project I am working on just took on a life of it's own and I am trying to accommodate it.  I am going to use a few gear parts I have to make a multi piece power adjustment on this beast of a project. 

Any recommendations would be great.  I am planning on using an OK chip once I find the one I want.  Any ideas there would be great to.

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
Re: Please help I need a 90 degree or less POT
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »
Would using a linear pot with roughly 3x the resistance and then just limiting the throw with mechanical stops on my gearing be an easier option rather than trying to find a 90 degree throw pot?

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:16 AM »
Hi Nathan,
I know this isn't helping, but I've worked in electronics for 30 years, and I don't remember ever seeing a 90 degree pot.  Do you need it to physically stop at 90?  Most "single turn" pots are about 270 degrees.  If you just want a certain resistance range from 90 degrees of movement, you could try a 270 pot that was about 3 times larger resistance wise than the range you desire.
Wayne

ETA: I see now that is prolly what you were saying in your second post. Linear pot made me think "slide". Sorry
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:01:21 AM by wa9w00d »

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
That is what I was thinking... while doing my search last night I kept seeing references to 90 degree pots but could not find a data sheet.  Then I was also seeing ones that were 90 and 180 that were full rotation that repeated themselves and I think that would be a pain to line up each pot in the boxes...  so it looks like I will have to find one with the resistance and find the range on it I need.  Thank you.

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
The 90 and 180 you were seeing was prolly refering to the mounting orientation, in reference to the PCB surface.
Pots are scratchy, the cheap ones especially, and using only a portion of one will amplify that. Just sayin'.
I would give any ideas a good testing on a breadboard before I built a mod.
Wayne

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
Yea probably... I would accept any alternative ideas for a solution if anyone has one

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Please help I need a 90 degree or less POT

gfxgfx
gfx gfx