gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 01:51:53 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Trying to find a non taper Metal enclosure found Hammond 1455 extruded aluminum
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Trying to find a non taper Metal enclosure found Hammond 1455 extruded aluminum  (Read 5384 times)

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
OK so I have been in contact with several enclosure manufacturers and can not find an enclosure in the 1590B size range that is not tapered unless I go with extruded aluminum or plastic. 
The manufacturers told me the reason for the taper is so they can get them out of the mold for the die-cast.  Having done some metal work in the past it doesn't make much since to me considering the thermal expansion of the two metals are different the Die-cast should come out of the steel due to the aluminum having a higher thermal expansion. But I am not an engineer and I am sure there is a true reason for the taper. 

The bad part about it is that I have built projects using the Hammond boxes long before I knew about any PVs other than the older Blu and I never noticed the taper away from the door side.  Now I notice it with all of the boxes at the shops I frequent. 

One upside to it starting to get noticed is I am being asked to make some new boxes for people.  Most are finally seeing the light(safety) when it comes to using regulated boxes over these slap together (Custom) jobs that they have all spent money on.

If anyone has seen any of the boxes that do not have a taper and would like to share I am sure we would all be very appreciative of it.  I know I would be.

One thing I have found is the 1455 Extruded Aluminum boxes from Hammond that are kind of nice.  The only problem I see with them is to get a removable panel besides the top and bottom I have to go to a three inch wide box.  and man are those things tall, almost 4.75 inches.  The nice thing is they come in clear(natural), black, blue, and red anodized colors so they should be pretty durable.  And the anodizing looks to be of good clarity and quality.

These boxes would be great options for some of the builds I have seen on the site.  They are a bit more expensive than the usual Hammond boxes unfortunately. 
They are also slotted on the inside to accept pcb boards.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:18:45 AM by nwooley83 »

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
Just picked it up from the shop

This thing has a gorgeous satin feel finish that the pictures on Hammonds site does not do justice.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Same box that I used HERE

They are a pain to install parts with only access from the top and bottom.

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
How has the finish held up on that box Breaktru? 

Yea I ordered a J sized one as well so I can get a removable side panel, but it is 3.07 inches cross so it will be a bit on the larger side but it may give me an excuse to try the 40A raptor build using three batteries.  Hopefully since these things are so thin the extra width will not feel as bad as it sounds to hold.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
The finish is like it was a year ago. It's durable.

Offline nwooley83

• Nathan Wooley
Glad to hear that.  It did seem to be fairly thick on the enclosure.  Bad part is I think I am going to use it to put the guts from a broken variable ego twist in and cut it down shorter for the wife.  Hoping when the J model and my 510 decks from FDV get here it fits in the hand well since it has the removable belly plate and the room for three batteries and the raptor board.

BTW just have to put this out here... This is THE best site I have found for all of this and my wife is really starting to hate it because of the amount of time I am spending at my desk/workbench when I get home from work.

And since my order from wizard showed up today I am going to be spending even more time there.

Thinking a Brandy/Cherry/Almond.   Should be a nice evening vape.   ;cheers;

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Trying to find a non taper Metal enclosure found Hammond 1455 extruded aluminum

gfxgfx
gfx gfx