gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 08:10:30 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: build for mech vs vw OR is a watt a watt?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: build for mech vs vw OR is a watt a watt?  (Read 7145 times)

Offline scottericsonon

build for mech vs vw OR is a watt a watt?
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
ok here lately I've been running kanger subtanks on my KBOX at 20 watts with a 1.2 coil in the subtank but recently picked up a RDA and a mechanical for cheap off of CL (as well as some nice sony 18650 batteries and a nitecore charger)

so far I havent really messed the RDA or the mech because I'm not sure what to build on it.....
theres some crazy
1 dual coils in it now that I took a couple puffs off of but WAY too much for me

according to our friend Mr.Ohm and his law 20 watts at 1.2 ohms is 4.89898 volts...

obviously the mech will only put out 4.2 volts maximum which brings us to my question....

if we assume a nominal voltage of 4.0 volts (halfish way discharged) a .8ohm build will putt us at the same 20 watts (although obviously more amps)
should I expect the same vape "experience" due to the same wattage  I.E. is a watt a watt?

or does the amperage also come into play? lower volts have anything to do with it (assuming I adjust resistance to keep wattage equal)

FWIW i have zero  interest in "sub ohm" and "blowing plumes"

thanks in advance Scott

oh yeah..i know i havent been on in awhile.....been busy with work and my stereo hobby

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: build for mech vs vw OR is a watt a watt?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
Power is not always power with an atomizer.  There's a pretty big dependence on coil configuration.  For example 20W with 32 gauge wire will vape different than 20W with 28 gauge wire.

Basically you have to dial-in any rebuildable atomizer for what you are using to power it.  For example, I like to use a genny type with a ribbon coil at 1.25 Ohms and 5V for 20W.  To run the same wattage at a lower voltage would require a heavier gauge of heating wire resulting in a somewhat different vaping experience.

Generally heavier coils perform better at higher power outputs.  You might find that increasing the thickness of the wire to obtain a similar power output with an unregulated mod may provide improved performance for you.  On the other hand, heavier coils are lower in temperature Watt for Watt so you may find the vapor cooler than you'd like.

Offline scottericsonon

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 05:29:02 AM »
I sort of understand...
I guess the amperage draw figures into it as well...

I think I'm going to pick up some 26ga,28ga and 30ga kanthal today and just start spinning some coils...

Wire and wick is cheap and the practice can't hurt...
;-)

My local shop sells 5ft lengths for a buck..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
Amperage does come into play because it determines wire temperature which has a considerable effect on the vapor.  Taking it to the extreme either way will result in an unsatisfying vape.  If you take two wires at the same temperature and different in gauge the vapor will be similar in heat, but greater in volume for the heavier wire. 

Amperage determines wire temperature since it's a function of the current flow over the cross sectional area provided there's no difference in the material.  So, if you have a narrow wire with less amperage you can get the same temperature as a heavier wire with a higher amperage.  Since the thicker wire has more area, current needs to be higher.  The result is similar temperature and higher vapor production.  That's why people looking to produce clouds use heavier gauge wire.

Offline scottericsonon

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
welp.....so far so good....

I spun up a 26ga coil at .8 ohms im pretty pleased with both the flavor and the vapor production (although I could honestly care less about vapor production)

tempature seems maybe a wee bit warm but ill vape with it for a week or so to see what I think

i think ill twist a couploe for the RDA section of my subtank minis as well just to have some options of stuff to play with

maybe .8 in 28ga as well to see which I like better

yeah...ill leave this 26 .8 in my dripper and build another for one subtank and a 28 .8 for the other ....apples to apples.....ill just do "comparison" vaping on the mech at home in the evening
that should work..

Offline vapetech334

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »
If your looking for a good flavor production.. try a Clapton of 32g wrapped tightly around a 26g or razor wire which us ribbon twisted around a solid core or one of my faves.. chain link coil.. using an electric drill twist two 28-30g wires then reverse direction and slowly twist a 32-36g until the other wires open up slightly forming the links..
All of the coils need to be built using an electric drill for maximum tightness
Each of these hold juice on the coils themselves and I've used all 3 for pretty effective wickless builds
Gl
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:37:38 AM by vapetech334 »

Offline kerrybishop

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:01 AM »
If your looking for a good flavor production. use RDA and 90% VG e liquid for great flavor.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: build for mech vs vw OR is a watt a watt?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx