gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 09:04:12 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: What is the correct gauge wire ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What is the correct gauge wire ?  (Read 6239 times)

Offline midnightron

What is the correct gauge wire ?
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
Please help. I am using the Kanger Pro Tank II and have been re-building them for several months now. I have a quick but very important question. Right now I use 32 gauge wire but this seems a bit too small. Can I go to 24 gauge with no problems? Thank you for your help.
Brother Ron

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: What is the correct gauge wire ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
Hey Ron,
When you say "too small" are you referring to the thickness of the gauge?
24 gauge can be used but more windings are required to equal the resistance of your 32ga coil.

Offline midnightron

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Thank you for replying so fast. In answer to your question, when I say too small I am referring to the thickness. 32 gauge is extremely thin. I am someone told me to use 32 gauge but another person told me 24 gauge so I thought I would go to the experts. Right now I am making my coils with 6 wraps. Having trouble getting the taste to come thru on any flavor and I thought that might be it? How many wraps would I use with the 24 gauge if I replace the 32 gauge with it ? Thank you.

Offline wa9w00d

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
Hi Ron,

I'd say there is no such thing as the "correct" gauge when it come to resistance wire.  It's a matter of the application, what you want to accomplish, and what works for you.

I've rebuilt quite a few protank coils, and have settled on 30 gauge wrapped on a .097 arbor.  I tried as large as 28 gauge, but was tearing up grommets during assembly, and the thermal conduction was burning the grommets too.

Note that a .097 arbor won't fit into the slots of most protank heads. to get around this, I wrap on a .097 arbor, then have another .097 arbor that I've flattened two sides of. I use this to support the coil during assembly.

As to the number of wraps, I use the steam engine  website to tune that to the target resistance, anything from 1.4 to 2.0 ohms.

Oh, and just my opinion, but I think it would be very difficult to use 24 gauge wire in a protank coil.  not much room, thermal conduction to the grommet, getting it assembled, etc.  I think it would almost have to be sub-ohm, and the protank really just ain't meant for that.

Wayne

Offline midnightron

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
Thank you very much Wayne. I truly appreciate your advice. Thank you for responding so quickly. Maybe I should stick with the 32 gauge. Thank you again.

Offline kerrybishop

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:50 AM »
28 gauge wire.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: What is the correct gauge wire ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx