gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:53:55 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Topic: Wood - Clear Coating
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wood - Clear Coating  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Woody

Wood - Clear Coating
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Hello, new here in the sense that I have never posted. Went to register and found out that I had done that back in March of 2014. My question is can I change my user name? Also wanted to say HI to everyone and just tell you about myself right quick. Started vaping on Feb. 13th 2014 to quit smoking and dipping and I have only had one smoke since that time and I thought I was dying after having it. I make wooden box mods, vape stands, wooden drip tips, and my own juice. Looking for a group to learn some new things from and not made to feel like an idiot for asking questions, hope I found the right place. Thanks

Offline Podunk Steam

Re: Wood - Clear Coating
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
Hiya Mech1
I'm not a real regular around here myself.
You mentioned wood mods and I've been having trouble clear coating Iroko wood in the high humidity of the winter months here, would you have any suggestions?

;cheers;

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Hey Mech1. Congrats on your first post. We have a great bunch of members here that can help out with any questions that you may have. There is no such thing as a stupid question. We all had to start somewhere.

Let me know what you want to change your User Name too. You will then receive an email to confirm.

Offline Woody

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »
Podunk Steam, if the clear coat is not wanting to dry move it inside the house after you spray it on. I'm still learning clear coat as well I normally put an oil finish on. Breaktru, if the user name  Woody is not used I would like that please. Thank you

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply Woody Mech1  ;)

I have been applying it in the house and drying indoors as well, I have a back bedroom I use as one of my shops and the garage is the other. Iroko could very well be the problem, it has somewhat of a bad reputation for being hard to clear coat. It's often substituted for Teak as it is a pretty resilient wood when moisture is taken into account.
I was thinking I was going to try an evacuation/vacuum chamber after warming the wood slightly and see how the rattle can Varithane I've been using likes it. Less humidity in the chamber from the vacuum I'd hope but it could be counter productive being as porous as the Iroko is with the coating on. Life's a learning experience anyways, just wish it involved less sanding with mistakes!  ;)

;cheers;

Offline Woody

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
Do you use sanding sealer?

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »
No I haven't used sanding sealer.

Offline Woody

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
sanding sealer works wonders for porous woods like that. Another thing you could try since you already have a vacuum chamber is stabilizing the wood, then it finishes like acrylic.

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:29:07 PM »
My mention of the wood being porous was referring to the trapped air inside the wood that would likely want to escape under vacuum messing with the applied finish. I haven't tried it so I don't really know what will happen.

I do impregnate woods although pieces as large as a complete e-cig mod are hard to get completely impregnation throughout the thickness of a lot of wood types as large as most e-cigs are. I do mainly dual 18650s and I'm not fond of seams where they can be avoided and all of my designs avoid seams completely.

I've been using the Cactus Juice for impregnating woods. If the wood has been milled for a mod to decrease the thickness prior to impregnation with the Cactus Juice it tends to flow out of the wood during the baking process unless hollow areas are filled and the wood is sealed in aluminum foil to hold the Cactus Juice in. If this is done than all the milling of the wood has to be done again to clear the empty spaces of fill material. Being I'm not CNC equip the extra work of the second milling costs me a lot of time and potential errors.

It's strange that the humidity has caused the issues it has because in drier weather the Varithane takes to the Iroko fine. Maybe the extra work is worth the effort being the wood is stabilized and won't crack over time although he extra time and effort isn't often understood by customers is the worst part.

Offline dc99

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Podunk, what brand are you using? A lot of them are water based (rustoleum). That would explain the problem with humidity. 

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
It's Valspar and not the Varithane I had used before. You ever get one of those feelings?  :wallbash:
I just went and looked and had one of those moments.

Offline Woody

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
Oh sorry, misunderstood that. So far all of mine are glued up boxes so the stabilize would work real nice for me. The milling seems more time consuming and like a lot of wood wasted, but want to try.

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
No worries,
Like I said the Iroko very well could be the worst of my problems, well other than previously coating a piece of wood with one product and trying to coat it again with another.
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!  Lets just call it an eclectic taste that would find this to be appealing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:15:25 PM by Podunk Steam »

Offline Woody

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
guess I'm eclectic, I like it

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
LOL! Thanks, I guess I'm just a traditional type when it comes to woods.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Topic: Wood - Clear Coating

gfxgfx
gfx gfx