gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 17, 2024, 09:19:56 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask by Podunk Steam
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask by Podunk Steam  (Read 17544 times)

Offline Podunk Steam

SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask by Podunk Steam
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
It's been a little while since I checked in so I thought I'd share a build. As the title reads it's an SX350J built into a Vapor Flask type configuration that I am really liking!
I started out with some button that I milled and powder coated that ended up just looking too busy for my taste.

Then I milled a brass top cap with a recess for a 510 connector after setting up my layout on the power bank https://www.fasttech.com/p/1702204

Cut some .016" thick brass to the right width to fit into what are now channels for the interior assembly to slide into.

Stated to put the bends on it needed to enter the other thinner channel.

Narrowed the brass for the other channel, drilled out a hole for the 510 and soldered everything in place with some silver bearing solder.

A look down inside thinking this is going to be tight!

Yep, it is tight in there!

I realized mounting the SX350J to a flat surface wasn't going to work out as I though originally so I elevated the display and removed some of the board the USB port is mounted to.

Got the display hole squared up.

Then it was time to start working on the bottom, this little bugger took a few attempts at getting the thread correct and I ended up settling for what you see here.

Needed a receiving end for the threads that almost whopped me so I got it soldered into place.

The extra hole I set up for a spring loaded negative contact.

Then onto the part that is always tricky with a hand cranked mill, the bottom cap, nope wasn't any easier than the top cap.  :no:

Got the layout set up for the exterior edge and settled the nerves with some cold liquid barley beverage.

Milled a recess for the D-ring screw, this actually happened before the exterior shaping was done.

A little polish shine. 

Grabbed a piece of scrap acetate and milled out some insulators with recesses for copper beryllium spring, got some 18 gauge solder onto the spring and set them in the acetate, seemed to fit well.

After the fuss with the D-ring screw I really didn't want to loose it so I lagged some threads and made a recess in the battery cap for an o-ring that works as a retainer for the screw.

I noticed things were getting tighter than I had thought so it was onto some space saving adaptations of the parts incorporated as well as modifying the FDVs stainless 510 into a spring loaded 510.

Milled a bushing and lifted the 510 to gain some more space as well as guard against scratches to the top cap from atomizers. It now sits maybe 3/4 of a millimeter above the top cap.

Landed the wire for the spring loaded negative contact to the battery cap and coated it with some liquid tape.

The USB would have been sticking out firther than I'd like so I cut it down to size.

Needed more room up by the 510 the fire button board got a trim.

Checked the fit with some batteries to see how long to make the press fit posts in the battery cap.

Took some care in knocking some holes in the interior structure for the button actuators, display and USB.

Interior structure looked pretty good in the power bank.

This was making me happy.

Than I got started on new button actuators as the originals just didn't do it for more, with flat stock no less.

They turn out alright.

During the test fit I noticed the wires were going to have to be locked into place tight or they would bind up on the batteries so I got the wires trained and locked into place. I soldered up the copper springs and just had the springs and stanchions for installation to go.

Springs and stanchions, CHECK

Figured I better test everything before the final installation, skeleton vapage!  :thumbsup:

It slid into place but not so easily, scratched up the up/down buttons a little but I can deal with them.

And now I have one very functional SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask.  ;cheers;

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask by Podunk Steam
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
Congrats on your build. Nice work  :rockin smiley:

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »
Thanks! :)
Here's a coil wrap I've found to be very nice with the fruitier 50/50 liquids I've been vaping whilst I'm here.
It's quad twisted 32 gauge Ni200 wrapped on a 3.43mm mandrel showing .081 ohms when locking in the ohms resistance on the SX350J. I've been hitting it with 20 to almost 30 Joules at 320 to 375F on the standard power setting and I used a Cellucotton wick in the Lemo 2. Hoovering at 21 Joules and 320F at the moment, Mmmmm!

Offline columbusbk

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »
Great job Podunk. I really like how well it came out

Offline doobedoobedo

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
That's superb. I have one of those power bank cases too. I don't think mine will come out quite as nice as yours though.

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
Great job Podunk. I really like how well it came out
Thanks, I think luck played a part in the outcome, it's a very tight build that tested me. Tight enough I cut plasticized paper for participation to slide in the screw hole slots and the batteries bind up on them some.
That's superb. I have one of those power bank cases too. I don't think mine will come out quite as nice as yours though.
Much appreciated! So are you going for it?
I'd guess the build took me around a week of half days but much longer in the planning phases, the stanchions and springs was an application that came about after many hours of head scratching.  It's worked well so far although the pressure applied by the springs is something of a labor sometimes, too much pressure and the buttons are depressed and too little the actuators rattle.

Offline doobedoobedo

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Well I've made some simple brass caps out of some sheet which fits so it's flush at the top. A copper rivet as a tact switch actuator and a copper fatdaddy 510 and that's as far as I've got. Mine will probably end up as a simple mosfet job.

I'm afraid I'm probably going to steal your idea of a brass plate behind the hole for the USB charger :).

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »
Oh you already have something in the works with the enclosure than. Have at it with the USB, if it works for you all the better.  ;cheers;

Offline Mandro

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »
That looks fantastic  :rockin smiley:
Thanks for the build pictures and information.

Offline smokeless

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Bad asssssss just bad ass!

Online tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
Yes sir, fantastic and bad ass

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 12:53:19 AM »
Thank you folks!  :beer-toast:

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »
Just stopped in for a note on that coil build I posted, I've been under powering it.  Doh:
I took it up to 40 Joules last night and it held its own but was too much for me, 32 seems to be my happy place.  :thumbsup:

Offline VapingBad

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
Very nice work, very nicely down, but after owning a couple of DNA40s and an SX Mini M I can't help thinking you have downgraded your flask, but each to there own and as I said you did a great job of it.

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
Thank you although I don't understand your mention of downgrading?
If my understanding of the Sx350j is correct even with a 120 watt build there is only 50 Joules to work with in TC mode. Since TC was brought out by Evolv I really haven't vaped much else.

Offline VapingBad

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
Just that the DNA40 is better in temp mode than the SX IMO: refinement mode, pre-heat, no PWM, no silly profiles (OK in non temp mode, but pre-heat is better IMO), the up and down buttons do just that, power lock (no excuse not tot have this IMO & I hate how easy it is to end up in one of the profiles on the SX), a better than DOA warranty on boards and much more flexible for modders.  The SX I had has gone back as the temp was around 70F out compared to two DNAs judging by flavour (had to turn it down), but I think it was faulty, the PWM and reading R between the pulses was a big disappointment, I thought after keeping use waiting so long YiHi would have done better than Evolv, but so didn't.  If I had to guess they either wanted to be different for the sake of it or couldn't implement real time wattage regulation to their satisfaction. 

Offline VapingBad

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
Sorry, not meaning to derail your thread was just answering your question and I have no objection if my off topic posts are moved/removed.

You did a great job on that build Podunk Steam and a great write up to.

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
It took a while but I'm happy with both the DNA TC and the SXJ. The couple times I had to return DNA40s to Evolv sucked but they've worked that out and now offer the ohms lock feature as well.
http://www.vaporshark.com/dna-help-guide
I like the power settings of the SXJ although they don't ramp up heat like the DNAs does they do give you options of increasing, decreasing or maintaining the power to the coil some through the duration of the vape. I use the presets for different atties myself on the SXJ and locking in the ohms resistance is easy enough.
a better than DOA warranty on boards and much more flexible for modders.
The flexibility I do understand although tight wires can be soldered onto the SXJ for remote buttons and Evolv sure has stood by their product through thick and thin. The SXJ has been flawless for me so far so I haven't had to do anything in the way of returns to Yihi.
The SXJ I wouldn't consider as electrically efficient as the DNA.
Sorry, not meaning to derail your thread was just answering your question and I have no objection if my off topic posts are moved/removed.

You did a great job on that build Podunk Steam and a great write up to.
I wouldn't say you derailed the thread, they're TC devices and that's what these forums are supposed to be for, putting your opinions out to be read so others can be informed.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
Here's a spin on the Flask. Podunk wanted to do something a little differently. This is what we came up with, we call it the Bootlegger, 3D printed SXJ.
A few opportunities for improvements presented themselves while Podunk was building it, which I'm working on the drawings now.

Video

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yJCiJL9yVDA/VaKJJgP4TOI/AAAAAAAAADc/JAi-YCXqJa0/w426-h320/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:41:57 PM by Jasen »

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
Here you go Jasen  ;cheers;

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »
I was busy trying to pause the video to take a good look at the internals
I rolled over the screen a few times looking for the transport controls to pop up duh' gif   :laughing2:

That is uber sweet as is the OP mod wow you two have a winner there,  that is a sharp easy access pv..
Cannot believe I missed this when original post..

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 06:14:19 AM »
Very cool  :rockin smiley: Brilliant battery compartment design

Offline michamer

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:08:28 AM »
Super design podunk  :beer-toast:

Offline Podunk Steam

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Hehehe!  :laughing2:
Those GIFs are tricky little buggers aren't they! The interior isn't what we have planned for the 3D prints, this is our prototype I threw some modding at.

Thank you very much for the kind replies!

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: SX350J parallel 18650 Vapor Flask by Podunk Steam

gfxgfx
gfx gfx