gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 18, 2024, 09:13:47 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: New mod builder has a few questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New mod builder has a few questions  (Read 4521 times)

Offline ghh3rd

New mod builder has a few questions
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
First off, I have scoured many websites about mods, and this one blew me away with all of the info.  Best site yet!

I have almost everything to build a couple of simple mods.  Have a Vamo board on the way for my son.   He wants to install in a small cigar box.  Mine will be in a 2D Cell aluminum Brinkman flashlight (I know HUGE, but think it will be an interesting conversation piece).

A 'couple' of questions -  I was thinking of using silicone as a fastener for the battery sleds, Vamo board ect. but realize that it requires a non acedic silicone which seems hard to find, and expensive.  My alternative is using JB Weld which is very permanent and won't allow disassembly and recycling parts.  Any thoughts?

I know that I won't need any heavy duty buttons on either mod since the Vamo board will handle the amps on one, and on the other mod I am using a Mosfet.  Any suggestions for a source of good buttons (rated for lots of presses) that won't break the bank?

My solder iron is 30W which I understand may be too hot since I am very rusty at soldering.  I was thinking of using a light dimmer to cut the power to the soldering iron - or would a smaller iron be better?

Thanks!    Randy

Offline drmarble

Re: New mod builder has a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »
You can use GE Silicone II. It is acetic acid free. It works fine for juice proofing circuit boards. Most any hardware store will have it.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
Yeah you're right, the electronics grade silicone glue is really expensive, cost prohibitive really, like $30 for a small bottle.  I just use the stuff mentioned above for all my electronics stuff.  It's not rated for electronics, but it works well enough, never had a problem.

Offline ghh3rd

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
Fantastic, and they just built a Lowes Home Improvement Center a half mile from my home :-) .

Offline vapetech334

Sorry to Hijack this thread!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:36:23 AM »
edit: removed to new topic
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:51:50 PM by vapetech334 »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: New mod builder has a few questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx