gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 06:23:39 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG  (Read 29325 times)

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »

There is a huge taste difference.  CLARITY of Flavor and Viscosity

I have been vaping on Humco (Walmart brand VG) for a few months now, I ran out of my normal medical grade VG,  thought self hmn it says USP so all good.

There's a distinct taste difference when used side by side-- clarity and a band aidish type flavor in the Humco brand.  Its very perceptible when used side by side with medical VG.

My review: If its all you can buy or like the price which @$2.80 for 177ml is a bargain --yes it is its no big deal.  I could not discern the off" flavor before  running out of medical grade. 

Just a heads up there is  a bigger difference than I 1st perceived.

Medical Grade  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:55:05 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »
When I first started DIY, I heard people complain about the taste of HUMCO so I avoided it.
A bargain is not always the way to go.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
When I first started DIY, I heard people complain about the taste of HUMCO so I avoided it.
A bargain is not always the way to go.

When I first started DIy juice I used everything -- theres a Vg called NoW, its sold in beauty and health food stores.  Its so sweet its unbelievable also thick like tar.  It also makes you feel less manly  :no:..  I also used mc cormick flavoring man o man was i out in left field.  It made me believe that you could not make the juice at home after using loranns ...  Vendors juice so tasty and mine ewwwwwwwwww...   

:thumbsup:
Woot Friday
;cheers;

Offline Visus

• PV Master
:::UPDATE:::Re: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »
Humco has retooled their VG and its now as good if not better than medical VG
I ran out/low of Vg again and forgot to make an order since I make so many steepers...   :laughing2:
I reluctantly purchased 2 bottles of walmart vg Humco brand..
They have added a QR code to their labels now
if its Humco without the QR code it is not the updated VG..

It viscosity is really thick a tad bit thicker than my medical vg and it produces huge clouds..
give it a try I guarantee its now amazing VG..

Make sure it has the QR code there was one left in stock that did not have the QR code and its their old version of VG..

I have used a lot of Humco brand  in the past and was disgusted by a batch in October that had a band aidish type flavoring.  The off flavor is gone as is the blandish reaction to mixing -- mixing that only medically or vape approved vg gives.

Pictured: Medical Vg and  Humco Brand with the new packaging.  The packaging has changed 3 times since I started purchasing Humco in 2013.
Make sure you see the QR code

Offline novoleen

Re: :::UPDATE:::Re: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

Make sure you see the QR code

Good to know if ever I need some in a pinch.  :thankyou:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
Re: :::UPDATE:::Re: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Good to know if ever I need some in a pinch.  :thankyou:

Your welcome,  its good to know its ok to use for vaping -- being a test mule,  I was surprised expecting it to be just like before.  I noticed the new label right away because of the one elder labled bottle on the shelf.  Maybe they changed the filter,  IDK  :laughing2: 

Its good stuff now and I would recommend it to anyone.

I do not like buying too much pg/vg if not using right away because as a humectant it will absorb humidity out the air every time you open and will possibly take up a bad flavor.  So this size is perfect,  i use the whole bottle right away.  Need a squirt sealed delivery for big arse bottles lol..

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
Haven't heard that one.  I buy mine in gallon jugs and keep in the freezer.  The only time I open it is to put it in the small jugs I keep on the shelf for normal use.  I actually go through the stuff pretty fast since I mix for both me and my wife and we're not light vapers.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Yeah a gallon would last me a very  very long time.. 3-8ml a day  so about two or three years worth.  Its only 25 bucks savings so no biggie

Yeah it starts grabbing humid atmosphere as soon as exposed to it.  Its not a desiccant but damn near as good @ pulling, extracting, atmosphere.. 
Set a vg vial near some coffee grinds and it will have a slight coffee taste etc.. 

extra stuff:
a good coffee recipe is take some pg or vg use a 10ml flavor vial fill it up half with fresh coffee then fill it with pg/vg microwave 5-10secs..  the pg or vg will absorb in the coffee next fill it up again with pg or vg microwave again 10-15 shake it let sit overnight microwave again 5-10secs and filter it well.  Makes about 4-5ml really good coffee flavor really strong only needs  one or two drops every ten ml.. pg will be stronger than the vg results will vary..  Its pretty good   Salemgold on ecf recipe..

To filter use a syringe with a cotton ball in the base,  filter as many times as you like it will not have, if any particulate left in it..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:04:53 PM by Visus »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
Salemgold on ecf recipe.

Speaking of SG....anybody need any flavors?

SG is liquidating a portion of her, ahem...collection for next to nothing prices:

http://www.vapeatron.com/diy-flavorings-86865/#post412247

Send her a PM and tell her that Shek sent ya and you'll get a 10% discount.  :laughing:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:46 PM »

SG is liquidating a portion of her, ahem...collection for next to nothing prices:

Send her a PM and tell her that Shek sent ya and you'll get a 10% discount.  :laughing:
Good prices

She has some really good recipes I love the diy coffee/lemon tea and now today since post about;  I mixed M-type w/ diy  coffee recipe,  it is my ADV its the bees knees. Its like a cup of coffee with hint of cream and sugar.  Heckuva strong diy  flavor it makes..

Offline David-Bowser

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
I would imagine there is not very many different labs making ALL VG or PG.  Different companies buy their supplies from VERY few Labs and LABEL it as their own. 

You do know you can buy PG in a farm supply store AND IT IS graded as USP.  You buy it by the gallon by the way!  Have fun arguing over nothing.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Re-bottling process can pick up flavors that are not tasty.

Unfortunately I would try the pg from farm supply but theres not any farm supply close by the city here and gas would cost the same as having a vape approved gal shipped..   I wonder if it taste like cow and horse  :laughing:  I have had a bottle of pg for about 6 months 250ml, a gallon would last ten years since I buy 24mg pg nic and knock that down to 2-10mg..  It makes mixing 50/50 easy with very little need of pg and the 2mg is my night time rarely used vape cause its usually not on vape table during the day and lazy its over there whatevers..

I have had bad vg from humco so it was emergency surprise that it was again really good vg, definitely a retooling.  I could live with the slight band aidish tasting vg since it was not time to order nic and mixing supplies..  I hope it remains sweet and flavorless if it I get pinched again I probably will never buy it again lol.. :wallbash:

Offline dc99

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

I got quite a few flavors from SG (Smokefree on Vapetron) Great deal and according to her listing she still has quite a few left.

Offline phillip389

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »
Using the new version of humco glycerin, I have to say this would be something that would have to be used short term. In my experience, its given me stomach pains, as soon as I switched back to non-humco its been getting better. Not sure if anyone else has this. I was using it for almost 2 months, it wasn't terrible but the flavorings weren't as good as not using it. I 50/50 mixed it with 80/20 vg increasing it to 90/10 mix. I use sub-ohm Arctic and clouds were pretty thick. If I exhaled too fast, I would have a build up of liquid on the back of my throat. My humco has the QR code on the back. Cant say anything about the old version.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »
Using the new version of humco glycerin, I have to say this would be something that would have to be used short term. In my experience, its given me stomach pains, as soon as I switched back to non-humco its been getting better. Not sure if anyone else has this. I was using it for almost 2 months, it wasn't terrible but the flavorings weren't as good as not using it. I 50/50 mixed it with 80/20 vg increasing it to 90/10 mix. I use sub-ohm Arctic and clouds were pretty thick. If I exhaled too fast, I would have a build up of liquid on the back of my throat. My humco has the QR code on the back. Cant say anything about the old version.

Many people use it with no issues, I now use it all the time and have had no reaction to it.
IDK'  They do a full msds release on it and its 99.7% VG  http://www.humco.com/_pdfs/data-sheets/1031-Glycerin.pdf
The 99.5-7%, 3-5% is derived from atmosphere dust particulate in the huge batch they make of the stuff. 
It is not made in a medical environment by either filtration or clean room I suspect..

Sorry it doesn't suit your DIY vaping needs it is so convenient and inexpensive..
I still use it and as the post says side by side with Medical vg I could not discern a difference.
NOW brand is another good vg sold at health/beauty stores it's 100% vg and uber thick made with palm leaves it gunks atomizers more readily but if I was in a cloud comp its what I would use but day to day humco has worked for me..

You can buy a gallon of medical vg but every time you open it to atmosphere it grabs microscopic dust like a sponge so even though you buy medical vg it slowly across time becomes diluted with dust..
Unless humco wants a lawsuit by a vaper having issues such as yours by them adding other ingredients; ya its basically good vg.. 

They say its safe to vape on their msds sheet section 3..

BTW they changed the labeling again..

Offline KYBLUE

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
Good info in this thread. Now how about the PG from Tractor Supply? :Thinking:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Ky there was a test on youtube I should have posted it here.

A science guy weighed fresh out container vg and pg and a cup of water left them out in the lab overnight.  By morning both had picked up weight,  the water lost weight.  They grab atmosphere quickly.  IDK,  taste it and know..  :Thinking:

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:02 AM »
Good info in this thread. Now how about the PG from Tractor Supply? :Thinking:

This is a very common question. Some say they cannot tell the difference, however, others have the same view as I do.

And that is..."Is it worth a couple bucks taking the risk?"

You wanna buy PG from a tractor supply company or buy it from a place that has a proven track record of 'best there is'?

I just bought this tonight actually: http://www.essentialdepot.com/product/CUBE-4VG.html

(Take your pick/mix 'n' match): http://www.essentialdepot.com/category/VG-GLYCUBE.html)

Used code: SHIP20 and got 20% off shipping.

Total came out to $56, shipping and tax included ($14/gallon).

ED has the best VG and PG that I've ever used and they have some of the best deals anywhere.

Plus...their VG can be used for a wide array of other household uses. The most common are a shampoo extender, add a cup or two to your shampoo bottle to significantly extend it's volume without giving up lather or it's usefulness. This VG also works great for a temporary cure for dry skin, simply apply a thin layer on your skin right after you exit the shower. And it can be used as an artificial (although all-natural) sweetner. I use it in instant coffee as it mixes very well and cuts out the bitterness, it's almost as good as sugar and I think that it tastes better than other sweetners like Stevia.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:01:00 AM by timesarerough »

Offline claybuster

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Hello everyone, first post here!

To the best of my knowledge, all over the counter USP glycerin sold in the USA is made by one company...HUMCO.  From there it is contracted out, packaged and sold under many different labels to many various vendors.

Charlie

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Side by side Humco (walmart vs medical) VG

gfxgfx
gfx gfx