gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:02:14 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Copper Tube Mods - A 3.7v and a V.V.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Copper Tube Mods - A 3.7v and a V.V.  (Read 263942 times)

Offline fsors

• PV Master
Re: Copper Tube Mods - A 3.7v and a V.V.
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
another good way to go is brass musical instrument lac :thumbsup:

Offline utak3r

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
Ha, good point  :rockin smiley:

Offline Jahf

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
another good way to go is brass musical instrument lac :thumbsup:

oooo ... I hadn't even thought about that, and should be able to get tubes in a number of sizes. Are you scavenging or buying new tubes? I'd love to know a source for brass outer and bushing tubes!

Offline columbusbk

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
When vaping, does it make sweet music?  :laughing2:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
i think that tube is from a baritone horn re purposed and yes very sweet opus  :yes"

Offline DRA

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
 :laughing2: sweet  :laughing2:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Hi, breakthru, I just wanted to thank you for all your information about creating this mod. I've been vaping for about 8 months now and I have the mod bug bad. Your diagram of how to set things up is really great and very understandable. One thing I wanted to ask was, what did you use to put the small dents in the mod? I'm not sure how soft copper is so I figure that's important to me anyway.

Sharing your work is a really great thing. I know that all your members really appreciate it. Thanks for what you do!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
Hi, breakthru, I just wanted to thank you for all your information about creating this mod. I've been vaping for about 8 months now and I have the mod bug bad. Your diagram of how to set things up is really great and very understandable. One thing I wanted to ask was, what did you use to put the small dents in the mod? I'm not sure how soft copper is so I figure that's important to me anyway.

Sharing your work is a really great thing. I know that all your members really appreciate it. Thanks for what you do!

You are very welcome @jumper. My pleasure to share and welcome to the mod bug club  :laughing:

I used a metal punch to make the dimple to hold the retaining ring from pushing up under spring tension.
Before punching the dimple, put something inside the copper tube so it doesn't crush or dent the tubing making it out-of-round. I used a socket from my socket set.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
That's cool about the puncher. I don't have one of those but they shouldn't cost too much. I already got my shipment from Mad Vapes to start on my mod, but will have to wait until the first of the month to get the copper parts. And although I know nothing about it, I've been looking at a tool and die set that's pretty cheap. Would that work on the copper? If so, it would be another way to hold the caps on.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
That's cool about the puncher. I don't have one of those but they shouldn't cost too much. I already got my shipment from Mad Vapes to start on my mod, but will have to wait until the first of the month to get the copper parts. And although I know nothing about it, I've been looking at a tool and die set that's pretty cheap. Would that work on the copper? If so, it would be another way to hold the caps on.
Instead of trying to make your own threads, perhaps you can use these:

or with or
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:23:28 PM by Breaktru »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the help. The last one on the right looks pretty good and would go great with a copper mod. I'm guessing it's brass and that's why I'm saying it. Have to wait until the first of the month to get my copper and brass stuff. I've already have the guts to do the mod (connectors, buttons, etc). If it turns out halfway decent, I will post it so people can see.

Thanks to everyone here on this site who have come before me. There is so much good information here. A lot is over my head when you start talking about chips and things like that, but I'm going to try to work through it and learn as much as I can from everyone. You guys ROCK!

Offline Learfx

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »
The mod bug is one tough addiction to overcome.... :laughing:   Copper can be tough to work with if you don't have the right tools.  Just out of curiosity, what parts are you planning to use with your copper mod?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
The mod bug is one tough addiction to overcome.... :laughing:   Copper can be tough to work with if you don't have the right tools.  Just out of curiosity, what parts are you planning to use with your copper mod?

Hi there... let me first say that I love the copper mods you make. One day you will have to explain to me (like an idiot) how you get the designs on them.

I got some things from Mad Vapes. So far I have...
1. 510 connectors
2. Horn style switches
3. Some leds (but will probably not try to use them on my first go at it)
4. Some brass springs

It's going to be for 1 18650 battery. I still need to get a pipe cutter and one day a cheap tool and die set (which I know nothing about). I'm not sure if I should make a mechanical mod first or try to use the switches I bought. I've never made one so I'm flying in the dark some. I haven't bought any of the copper pieces yet. Still trying to gather information.

I would appreciate any help from someone like you who makes such beautiful mods (just a compliment again). I'm still taking baby steps and also pretty dumb about this :)

edit: My first thought is to make a mod like the one in this thread. Thanks so much to Breakthru for this great mod. Also, what tools do I need for working with copper?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:02:33 PM by jumper »

Offline Learfx

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »
Hello, and thanks for the complements  :)  I have to say it was breaktru's copper mods that got me started.  His diagram at the beginning of this thread is what I started out with.  I deviated from it a little, but all of my mods use his basic design to this day. If I were you I would probably make a simple copper mod using the diagram breaktru posted in this thread. Once you get the basics down and get a working mod under your belt, you can advance from there.

It's a little difficult to explain  in great detail but I'll do what I can.

First off....... Safety should be your #1 priority. You need to make sure you have a way to protect yourself from injury...  You know the drill..... safety goggles, gloves and anything else that will keep you and your surroundings safe.  Fire kills and a hot piece of copper will scar you for life. Be safe and have patience.   :yes"

Sounds like you have the things you need from mad vapes: 510 connector, horn switch and spring for negative battery contact. (what's the amp rating for the horn switch?)

As far as copper goes, you can use 3/4" copper pipe and two 3/4" copper hard caps.  It's the same type of copper that's used in domestic water piping for homes and buildings. I would go with breaktru's bottom cap design instead of using one of those copper or brass threaded fittings... They look nice in the picture but on a mod they look big and bulky and make the mod heavy. Breaktru's design is nice and clean and makes the mod look sleeker overall .  breaktru uses a small ball bearing to lock the bottom cap on to the mod. I use a small screw through a hole drilled through the cap from the outside and then ground down as not to interfere with the battery.  I can explain better at another time.

I am guessing you have some type of hardware store close to where you live?. 

I used a torch to solder the 510 battery connector  and spring.  you can buy a small propane torch setup for around 20 to 30 dollars.  I've never tried to make a copper mod without using solder.. I guess it could be done but I've never attempted it.

Things you'll also need......

Plumbers sand cloth or any type of sandpaper

Tubing cutters or hack saw

Flux....  ( cleans the copper and helps the solder stick to the copper )

Solder... I use the lead free type that you can get from an electronics store. It's about .022" in diameter.  It works the best for me.

Some type of drill and an assortment of drill bits that will work for the 510 connector and the horn switch. You'll need some smaller bits that are near 1/8 or larger as well.

Soldering iron for the electronic connections. Get something that puts out more than 15 watts.

Copper electrical wire, stranded 18 or 20 gauge wire would work the best.

An electrical tester for testing connections.

A Dremel tool would be handy at some point, but not a necessity.

This is most of what you'll need to make a decent copper mod, but not everything... You should check out youtube  for information on soldering and working with electronics. 

That should be enough to get you started... If anyone notices something I missed please reply. .... Oh yeah... Thanks again Breaktru!  :thumbsup:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
Wow... what a great reply. Can't thank you enough  :thumbsup:

Once I found this website and looked at Breakthru's simple (yet elegant) mod, I pretty much decided on following his design and instructions on how to make it. I agree with you, it's a great place to start for a first timer.

Thanks for bringing up safety. I'm a little nervous about making one because of all the stories I've heard about some of them blowing up and such. Electricity scares me a little so I think I will be patient no matter what.

The switch is 5 amps. Is that too much?

We have Home Depot and Lowes here. Lowes is the better place for copper stuff. I read somewhere that someone said the tube and cap sizes are different between the two stores and that Lowes is closer to what things should really be. I was told it was because of different manufactures. I've already been there several times looking at copper. Haven't bought anything yet. Have to wait until next month before I can buy.

Thanks for the info about the caps. I will look forward to what you have to say about them.

I can't swing a torch right now. If I did, I could afford the rest of the parts I need. What about using something like JB Weld or JB Quick? is there a way I can use that instead of a torch?

I can get a cheap cutter for around $6.00, and the sand cloth is cool. I don't know at the moment what Flux is, but I will look it up on the Lowes website when I get through with this reply.

No problem with the drill and bits. My lady has a soldering iron, but I have no idea what wattage. I think it's for lightweight stuff, but should be able to solder wires and such.

You talked about an electrical tester. I've never had one. Can you give me a ballpark cost on that? And thanks about the copper wire size. I'm not good at knowing what gauge to use for this type of project.

Thanks so much for everything you posted. You've really given me a lot to think about and a lot to look for and check prices. Yes, and thank you Breakthru. Your original design is what I'm going to try and do.

Going to take a break on the deck now and vape and drink my coke :)
thanks a bunch!!

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »
make sure and check everything with a meter before you push the switch! :laughing2: :applaude: ;cheers;

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2013, 07:02:18 AM »
Wow Learfx, that was a wonderful post. Very informative info for a beginner. Thanks for posting.

Using a tiny screw for locking the bottom cap is the way to go. Not long after I used the bearing, it fell out and had replaced it with a screw.

The tester Lear was referring to is a Volt/Ohm meter. You can pick up a cheap one for basic testing pretty cheap. Being you mentioned Lowes, heres one for $24.95 DMM

5 amp button switch is good. Never use anything under 3 amps. It can never be "too much".

A torch is a must for soldering the 510 connector base into the copper cap. It will complete the negative ground path from the 510 connector through the tube frame and to the battery negative. Never use glue/epoxy. Remove the 510 insulator before torching. Flux helps the solder to stick to where you put it on.

The copper caps, Look for caps that are flat so you can stand the mod. I found that they make a conical type also.
The copper tubing should by type "L". See image.

Thank you guys for all your compliments and for participating   :beer-toast:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:13:10 AM by Breaktru »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
make sure and check everything with a meter before you push the switch! :laughing2: :applaude: ;cheers;

Thanks for the info fsors, I will have to get me one. It might save me from having a heart attack, lol. Really appreciate the post.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
Yes Breakthru, Lear's post was very good and as far as I can tell it contains everything I need to have and need to know for now. I like the idea about putting a tiny screw in for the cap. It sounds more permanent and stable.

Unfortunately, I only have $50.00 to spend a month on this. I was hoping that I could start making my mod after the first of the month. The volt meter alone will take half my money. Don't mean for this to be a sob story. Just telling you the truth. A meter and a torch would wipe me out for my monthly spending. Bummer.

Glad the 5 amp button is ok, and it's good to know that it can't be "too much".

What's the cheapest route I can go (not counting the copper) and still do what I need to do. I would appreciate any help with that. I would like to swing it so I could start making my first mod this next month. Having to wait 2 or 3 months would be agony.

Thanks about the info about copper caps too. I've already looked at them at Lowes. I don't know if they were "L" type or not, but I would think so. It's in the plumbing section.

Thanks for the help, Breakthru!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:10:24 PM by jumper »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
Simple Single Cell Copper Mod

Parts:
18650 - use a good quality one
Spring - copper is best
20 gauge wire - stranded $4.39
two caps - $1.19 ea
6" of copper tube. Cut to length needed (4.5" - 5"). Use excess to make retaining ring. 12" "L" type $11.11
510 connector
N/O button switch
Piece of hard plastic (insulator) to hold positive pin of battery
Medium brass/copper bolt or screw to contact batt pos.

Tools:
Drill and bits
hacksaw or pipe cutter - $16.47
Punch or Heavy duty nail
Soldering gun or iron / solder
Torch - $12.97
Optional: Meter in case you need to trouble shoot. Cheap DMM: $5.29

Note: Soldering with an iron will not not work well on a large metal object like the copper cap or brass/copper bolt. It will absorb the heat from the iron and cause a cold solder (poor) connection.

How about holding the cap w/ the 510 connector in place over and open flame on your stove?  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:01:12 PM by Breaktru »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »
Thanks for all the help Breakthru.

650 I've got
Have a copper spring
Need to get the 20 gauge wire.
Need to get all the copper stuff
Got 510 connectors (gold)
Do you mean NO push button?
Don't have the plastic but might have some screws

Drill and bits I have
Will have to get a pipe cutter
Punch I have
Soldering gun I have
Torch, don't have
Meter, nope, don't have that either

Thanks for the info about what the solder WON'T work on (I'm learning thanks to you guys)

--- have an electric stove, lol

Thanks for all the links and prices. I know you put some work into that and I appreciate it :) If I get everything you gave me a link to, it would be right at my budget. The tax would take me over that, but I think I can talk my lady into letting me do it.

Great, great information and links. Thank you so much. I think I just might be able to start on my mod on the 1st of next month (yea).

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »

Do you mean NO push button?

--- have an electric stove, lol

N/O is Normally Opened. We use Momentary On Switches. It closes (makes contact) only when the button is held. If you purchased the horn button from MV then it's okay to use.

You can always light a bon-fire in the back yard  :laughing:
Don't know if a Sterno would be hot enough... perhaps

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
Ok... Normally Open (have to write that down <g>) Glad I got the horn switches from MV then...

Have to get a burn permit for the fire and I don't think the Sterno would work :) I would probably blow myself up!  raged:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
Me again... I have a friend who has a small butane torch. Will that work?

Hope so... It's the only thing I've got for a torch :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:42:45 PM by jumper »

Offline Learfx

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »

What's the cheapest route I can go (not counting the copper) and still do what I need to do. I would appreciate any help with that. I would like to swing it so I could start making my first mod this next month. Having to wait 2 or 3 months would be agony.

If you'd really like to just "make a mod" there are other options....  http://www.madvapes.com/advanced-pv-s/box-mods.html   You can  spend about 10 to 20 dollars on a mod kit and save some money.  you'll gain experience at mod building and have your very first hand made mod built by you.  :)

Thanks about the info about copper caps too. I've already looked at them at Lowes. I don't know if they were "L" type or not, but I would think so. It's in the plumbing section.

You don't need to worry about the fittings being L or M type........ You can make  a copper mod out of  L or M-type copper as well.  Just think of it as L copper being a little more heavy duty than M copper...  Both types will work.  If there's an issue with the battery wobbling around inside the copper, you can roll up a thin piece of sheet plastic and cut it to make a snug fit for the battery.

Offline Learfx

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Me again... I have a friend who has a small butane torch. Will that work?

Hope so... It's the only thing I've got for a torch :)

I've never used a small torch like that but I'd think you'd be able to make that work.  You just need to remember to pull the small silicone grommet out of the 510 connector before you put the heat to it, as breaktru mentioned in an earlier post... They are a little challenging to get back in without tearing them so be careful......  A ripped silicon grommet can short out your battery and make things rather unpleasant  :wallbash:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
If you'd really like to just "make a mod" there are other options....  http://www.madvapes.com/advanced-pv-s/box-mods.html   You can  spend about 10 to 20 dollars on a mod kit and save some money.  you'll gain experience at mod building and have your very first hand made mod built by you.  :)

You don't need to worry about the fittings being L or M type........ You can make  a copper mod out of  L or M-type copper as well.  Just think of it as L copper being a little more heavy duty than M copper...  Both types will work.  If there's an issue with the battery wobbling around inside the copper, you can roll up a thin piece of sheet plastic and cut it to make a snug fit for the battery.

Hi Lear. I haven't got the mod bug enough to where I want to buy something premade. And certainly no offense to anyone here, I'm just not found of box mods. I've seen some great ones on here, but for me I like the tube.

Thanks about the copper type too. I wouldn't know an L from an M unless it says so on the sticky label of the bin, lol. Thanks so much for your help.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »

I've never used a small torch like that but I'd think you'd be able to make that work.  You just need to remember to pull the small silicone grommet out of the 510 connector before you put the heat to it, as breaktru mentioned in an earlier post... They are a little challenging to get back in without tearing them so be careful......  A ripped silicon grommet can short out your battery and make things rather unpleasant  :wallbash:

Thanks about the torch. I think it would work too. I got my connectors from mv (gold) and I'm having a hard time seeing the silicone grommet. On the bottom side of the connector there is a "tiny" round piece around the center pole. Is that what you're talking about? And if that's it, how in the heck do you get it out??

Offline Learfx

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
Thanks about the torch. I think it would work too. I got my connectors from mv (gold) and I'm having a hard time seeing the silicone grommet. On the bottom side of the connector there is a "tiny" round piece around the center pole. Is that what you're talking about? And if that's it, how in the heck do you get it out??
  http://www.madvapes.com/help-desk/knowledgebase.php?article=21  you can use something small enough to fit in the back end of the connector and push the center pin out gently.  Then you can carefully pull out the rubber insulator with out tearing it.

Offline Learfx

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
Hi Lear. I haven't got the mod bug enough to where I want to buy something premade. And certainly no offense to anyone here, I'm just not found of box mods. I've seen some great ones on here, but for me I like the tube.

I understand, The box mod kits come un-assembled and can be a little challenging to put together.  The kits on that site are great for the first time mod builders who don't want to spend a lot of money and would like to get the experience of building a mod. To be honest, my first mod was an old flashlight and then a cell phone and then copper...  :thumbsup:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »
I understand, The box mod kits come un-assembled and can be a little challenging to put together.  The kits on that site are great for the first time mod builders who don't want to spend a lot of money and would like to get the experience of building a mod. To be honest, my first mod was an old flashlight and then a cell phone and then copper...  :thumbsup:

Cool about your first mods. I was going to try the flashlight one, but didn't do it. A cell phone has got to be weird unless it's an old one. The ones today (at least some) are pretty thin. I would think that would be hard to work with?? I got almost all of my hardware from mv... connects, springs, etc. The seems like the best place for DIY people.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
  http://www.madvapes.com/help-desk/knowledgebase.php?article=21  you can use something small enough to fit in the back end of the connector and push the center pin out gently.  Then you can carefully pull out the rubber insulator with out tearing it.

AGGG! Push the center pin out!! I'm guessing it will go back in, lol. I have some small syringes that I can probably use to push the pin out. So... take the grommet out then seal the connector, then put the grommet back in, then the pin. Is that right? Does the grommet hold the pin?

thanks.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
And certainly no offense to anyone here, I'm just not found of box mods. I've seen some great ones on here, but for me I like the tube.

I can understand that, they're not for everyone.  It's all I use though.  Once you get past the idea an e-cig has to be round, it's not a big deal really. 

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
I can understand that, they're not for everyone.  It's all I use though.  Once you get past the idea an e-cig has to be round, it's not a big deal really.

That's cool that you always use a box mod. I've seen some that are absolutely awesome. Also when a "tube" gets as large as the Vamo, I don't even compare it with a cigarette or e-cig I don't even hold it the same. I guess what worries me about a box mod is that it would tend to be uncomfortable to hold. But I guess you get used to what you use.

I will have to look and see if I can find some of your mods on the site.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
I use the term e-cig in the most generic sense.  Most people probably differentiate between them.  I even call my boxes "my e-cig".

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
I use the term e-cig in the most generic sense.  Most people probably differentiate between them.  I even call my boxes "my e-cig".

I love it that you call you box an e-cig because... well, it is one. I almost made a box mod as my first one. I liked it because everything was easy to get to. But my desire for a tube won out so here I am waiting to do that.

Breakthru, sorry if I'm getting the thread off topic. It's supposed to be for the 3.7 mod. So I will shut up now :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
I love it that you call you box an e-cig because... well, it is one. I almost made a box mod as my first one. I liked it because everything was easy to get to. But my desire for a tube won out so here I am waiting to do that.

Breakthru, sorry if I'm getting the thread off topic. It's supposed to be for the 3.7 mod. So I will shut up now :)

No problem @jumper.

When I was new to modding I couldn't imagine why people made box mods. Thought they were ugly and I only made tube mods.
But now that I am a seasoned mod builder, I exclusively build and use box mods. I have 7 styles of box mods right here in front of me and switch off from time to time. I have different circuitry and combinations in them. Still have my coppers.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy :) I've never actually tried one, but if I did, I would probably like it. I had one of those Altoids tins and was going to try and make it a mod, but didn't. And that's cool that you only make box mods now. I know you know enough about making mods that I bet you make some good ones.

Phesrr

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
Got all the stuff for a copper mod...and a 5v box mod.  Just waiting in one thing...connectors! I'm so happy I found this forum, you guys have given me confidence.

NO LONGER ONE OF THE 87%!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
Got all the stuff for a copper mod...and a 5v box mod.  Just waiting in one thing...connectors! I'm so happy I found this forum, you guys have given me confidence.

Great news on your parts and thanks for posting. Keep us updated
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:02:36 PM by Breaktru »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »

Hi Phesrr, Welcome. I'm just now getting my feet wet myself when it comes to mods. I was going to do some stuff today, but ended up having to do "Honey Dews". This is a great bunch of people here so you're in good hands. Plus, it's a cool place to hang out :)

Offline breakstuff

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »

Welcome to the forum Phesrr  :wave:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
Major announcement... My dremel tool arrived this afternoon (it's actually made by WEN). It's fairly big. I thought it would be smaller. It came with 100 attachments, but they all fit in a small box. If you haven't noticed yet, I've never had a dremel tool in my life :) Need to find some more documentation on the company site.

So now I'm looking through stuff and just trying to check out what I have... but this is definitely a step in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis15

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
Major announcement... My dremel tool arrived this afternoon (it's actually made by WEN). It's fairly big. I thought it would be smaller. It came with 100 attachments, but they all fit in a small box. If you haven't noticed yet, I've never had a dremel tool in my life :) Need to find some more documentation on the company site.

So now I'm looking through stuff and just trying to check out what I have... but this is definitely a step in the right direction  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yeah!

Phesrr

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Nice! A couple cautions on the rotary tool (dremel)...all learned the hard way.
1. Take the wrench that came with it, and if it has a hole in it, tie it to the tool in such a way that it can be used without untying it. It's used to change the bits like a drill chuck, and you will lose it.
2. Always use eye protection. Small particals (hot copper) will fly off at a terrible speed and seek your eyeball like a homing missile.
3. Wear gloves. Copper conducts heat like it conducts electricity, and both grinding and cutting will heat your work up quite a bit.
4. A rotary tool works by speed, not torque (power). So try to keep yourself from applying too much pressure to the bit. It can burn out your motor, not to mention that broken bits make dangerous projectiles.
I use mine all the time, and it's an awesome tool. Just respect it, and it'll be your best friend for small projects.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
Hey, thanks a lot for the beginners guide to safety. I just started playing with it and wasn't doing a thing that you said. Everything you said makes sense and something that I should be doing.

Really appreciate it!

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
Got a little farther today so I thought I would post some pictures (they're not that great but you get the idea). I managed to get the connector flush with the top cap. I also got the the locking cap part too. Since I'm new to the dremel, it's not that pretty underneath, but no one will see that anyway :)
Here's the pics.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Nice work  :rockin smiley: See, not that hard after all.
Looks like you just need to install the PB, wire it up and pop in the battery  :thumbsup:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Your base is more bulbous than the head :laughing2: but great 1st build bro!  :applaude: ;cheers;

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the great support. I want to work on it some more tonight, but it's getting late and I might wait until tomorrow. And you're right Breakthru, couple of more solder parts, a switch and I'm done. I know you said that it wasn't hard after all, but you don't know the state of my nerves, lol. Doing all the stuff I did today almost gave me a heart attack. I think the dremel was my first real tool I've ever had (hot counting a hammer and screwdriver). Can't wait to get it to work. I'm going to have to search through my tanks and stuff to come up with some low ohm heads for the 3.7 volt mod.

thanks again guys!

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Copper Tube Mods - A 3.7v and a V.V.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx