gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 02:20:56 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Variable Voltage 50W / 10A Copper Mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Variable Voltage 50W / 10A Copper Mod  (Read 93990 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Variable Voltage 50W / 10A Copper Mod
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Variable Voltage Copper Mod. 3.6volts to 6.14volts with (2) 3.7v 18350 1200mah UltraFire batteries (7.4v).

**I am happy to share info with all that drop by this forum. So dropping a mention when you post your mod elsewhere would be a decent gesture.
Show your support by signing up as a member and please participate by posting**

Right click on image and click "View Image" for full size photo.
V.V. on far right:

On the bottom of the tube I cut a right angle grove to lock the cap in place.
I cut a 1/4" of tubing for battery stop. See diagram: http://breaktru.com/images/copper_mod.jpg

I used a 96% efficient switched regulator: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ptr08100w.pdf

3 amp CK switch - 200 ohm variable resistor in series w/ 240 ohm resistor.
(2) 100uf - 10v Tantalum caps

Collar used to lock top of batteries from moving. Punched dimple into side of tubing for collar stop.

Pressed collar in place with a socket

Low end voltage

Sweet spot voltage

High end voltage

Your fixed resistor will set your max voltage for the PTR08100W
With the pot zeroed out, the fixed resistor gave me a max voltage of 6.1volts

Circuit below only visible to logged on members.........
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:18:24 AM by Breaktru »

Online DRA

Re: Variable Voltage Evercool Copper Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
Wow dude that's awesome. Nice pix

Offline wwwest

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
Make me one. I've got to have a variable volt copper mod. My dream come true. I'll pay you what ever you want. I made a 3.7v copper mod but I can't fit the parts in the tube to make a V.V.

Offline FluGlone

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »
Count me into. I just PM'ed you with an order. I'll even take a 3.7v copper mod.

Offline Brian9523

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
Breaktru, simply amazing. I also have to have one. Put me on your order list. I'll send you my info. How much?

Online Squance

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
Please... count me in. Make me that lovely copper with (2) 18350's. I'll dye if I don't get one. PM sent with my details. Thank you.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
Hey Guy's, I'm flattered that you all like the V.V. copper mod but it took a lot of work to make the one. I am sorry to say that I really don't have the time to make any for sale. All the info is here in this thread for you to build your own. If I ever decide to make them for sale, I will contact you. If you have any questions about making one, feel free to contact me. Best of luck on your builds. You won't be disappointed making one, it is a fantastic vaping machine.

Online Dasen22

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
Thanks Breaktru for the diagram. I used it to built myself a fine box mod.

Offline shirl

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
Nicely done breaktru. This is the first Copper mod I've seen with the Evercool regulator. What a great convenience. Your photos have encouraged me to make one too.

Offline Jerseybob

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
I've got to have one. I'm not paying $$$ for a V.V. PV when I can make my own. Looks like I can get the same or better results with this for just a few dollars. And the copper is one solid piece of work. Thank you Breaktru. Rock on.

Offline Pantera

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:10 AM »
Great thoughtful layout you have here. Looks easy to follow. After I build my 3.7 copper I am going to follow your instructions here and do the variable volt thingy.

Update 4/22/11:
Built both mods and they work fantastic. I want to thank breaktru for all the wonderful information he provided on his web site.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:17:52 PM by Pantera »

Online geothee

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
That's a fantastic V.V. thanks for the detailed info dude. Good work and photos

Offline michamer

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
My cap ends came out real nice. I copied your photo and used a tiny machine screw in place of the ball bearing.
Twist on - Twist off

Offline elzakivis

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
IMHO, I think the 08100w regulator with 2 batts in series are hard to beat performance wise.

Offline Jerseybob

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Thank you breaktru for helping me build my VV mod. This thing is awesome. Many hours of great vaping. I'm am so proud of myself building my own mod. This thing out performs all my other crap PV's. Going to retire them.

Offline Darkreign

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
Heya Breakthru,

I love the Copper MOD you inspired me to build a while back, but I am itching to start a VV version and I was wondering if this regulator could be used in this http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,177.0.html MOD.  I would like to have the Evercool in a single battery configuration, I just don't know if it will work...

Thanks

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »
Heya Breakthru,

I love the Copper MOD you inspired me to build a while back, but I am itching to start a VV version and I was wondering if this regulator could be used in this http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,177.0.html MOD.  I would like to have the Evercool in a single battery configuration, I just don't know if it will work...

Thanks

Hey there Darkreign, glad I could help.
The link you have in the quote above will work with a single battery. It will boost your single battery and it is a V.V.
The evercool needs two batteries.

Offline Darkreign

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
Thank you sir,

I guess I should get my shopping list together then.  :)

Offline styl3r

• Styl3®mods
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »
I have now made this circuit first time with tantalum caps then looking through the data sheet on Ti they said not to use tantalum, instead electrolytic with low esr (audio standard). So made the second using electrolytic and it seems fine no different in fact from the first i made.
Any views on this much appreciated.
Many thanks
Styl3r

Offline Alamor

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
Awesome mod!!!!!

Offline pnguin

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
Great mod and terrific diagram. Just got my free sample 8100 in the mail. Headed to Gateway electronics for the rest. I am going to put it in a box however, I doubt my ability to cram that much in a pipe and come out with a working mod. You are the master.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
I have now made this circuit first time with tantalum caps then looking through the data sheet on Ti they said not to use tantalum, instead electrolytic with low esr (audio standard). So made the second using electrolytic and it seems fine no different in fact from the first i made.

The data sheet assumes the booster is going to be used to power other electronics which have much more strict requirements in the "clean-ness" of the output, for lack of a simple way to say it.  They also recommend using an electrolytic and ceramic in parallel which is not really necessary these days due to the availability of high value ceramics now.

We have little concern about the quality of the output since we're only powering an atomizer.  It only needs to be good enough for the regulator itself which is not real strict.  Tantalum capacitors have the highest ESR compared to ceramic and electrolytic.  They're popular because they offer high values in a  small package.  But, that's no longer true because, again, high value ceramics have recently become reasonably priced.   The effect of higher ESR it to cause a less clean output so you'll get the poorest performance with a tantalum capacitor. 

The difference in ouput quality between any of the filter capacitors you could use would not be something you'd notice powering an atomizer.  The cleanness of the input and output only has to be good enough for the regulator itself which has a wide margin.

To give you an idea about the difference, I recently moved to ceramic from tantalum on one of my booster designs.  It doubled output quality as measured on the bench.  I didn't need the improvement, but moved to ceramic because they are about the half the physical size for the high value I need.  They were also cheaper.  The improvement was a side effect, a welcomed one though.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
I understand the datasheet recommendation to use both an electrolytic and ceramic capacitor. The ceramic would filter the ripple current and the electrolytic would pass it. Like you said Craig, powering an atty would not need such a quality output.
An electrolytic has a reservoir and smoothing effect which I think is correct, and the ceramic would just filter the ripple. Correct me if I'm off base here
With that said, wouldn't the electrolytic be the better choice if you were using just one because it would aid in battery life. I don't think the ceramic has a reservoir capability ... or does it?

I haven't tested electrolytic vs ceramic on battery life but I have tested with and without a tantalum and w/ gave me almost twice the battery life.
I also understand that tantalum has a higher ESR (external series resistance) and a ripple current would create heat across the higher resistance plane which in turn causes a loss.

P.S.
I haven't used a Tantalum in a booster in quite awhile. I found some short Aluminum that fit nicely. A bit wider than the tantalum.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:03:47 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline styl3r

• Styl3®mods
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »
Hi heres my two cents worth  :2cents:, I have used both tantalum and radial electrolytic capacitors in this mod and to be honest i cannot see any difference. In fact with tantalum i do get a little noise but run time is about the same. For this implementation stability isn't really an issue if it was a more precise device then yes i would agree with you. These are my personal findings and my  not be very scientific. But i cannot see much difference in this particular application.
merry christmas
Styl3r

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 03:20:55 AM »
An electrolytic has a reservoir and smoothing effect which I think is correct, and the ceramic would just filter the ripple. Correct me if I'm off base here With that said, wouldn't the electrolytic be the better choice if you were using just one because it would aid in battery life. I don't think the ceramic has a reservoir capability ... or does it?

Yea, sounds pretty much like the right idea to me.  To be specific;

The MLCC caps in have really low ESR, typically around 10m at 100kHz.  Electrolytics are typically in the 50 to 100m range. 

For the high frequency stuff, ESR is has a more pronounced effect while capacitance value has less effect so a smaller value, lower ESR cap is all you need for that. 

For the lower frequency stuff, ESR has less effect and capacitance value has a more pronounced effect  so a higher value, higher ESR cap is all you need for that.

By using two ceramics in parallel, you can further improve output quality.  For example, two 100uF MLCCs in parallel will produce a cleaner output than a 200uF electrolytic and a 1uF ceramic in parallel.  That's because the total ESR for the ceramics in parallel is the 5m range (about half in comparison) which increases performance in filtering the high frequency stuff.  The capacitance value is the same so they filter the low frequency stuff just as well if not better with the lower ESR (it still has some detrimental effect even at low frequency).

High value electrolytics are still considerably cheaper than high value MLCC caps so that's a consideration.  If performance and compact size is of most importance, then high value MLCCs in parallel are going to be the best option.  If low cost is of most importance, a high value electrolytic and low value ceramic in parallel is the best option.

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
Loving the copper mods if only i could get copper to stay that polished :D

Offline SolarRay

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
I so want to build one of these copper mods. definitely a VV version - either the EverCool with a Digital pot, or Other VV shown elsewhere on this forum....

My question is this....what technique do people use to join together the copper?
  • Braze?
  • Silver Solder?
  • WB Weld?
  • Copper Glue for Plumping Fittings
(Sold at some supply houses)
  • expoxy?
ty

I've seen videos on the "flash light" mods that usually the 510 connector (or other) are brazed on with lead free solder.

Anyone have any comments Pro's / Con's for each technique...I have access to all off the above...I like the Idea of Silver Soldering for strength and conductivity, but may end up not looking very pretty.

Waiting for my free samples from TI and gathering up the other parts to make one these awesome Mods.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
I so want to build one of these copper mods. definitely a VV version - either the EverCool with a Digital pot, or Other VV shown elsewhere on this forum....

My question is this....what technique do people use to join together the copper?
  • Braze?
  • Silver Solder?
  • WB Weld?
  • Copper Glue for Plumping Fittings
(Sold at some supply houses)
  • expoxy?
ty

I've seen videos on the "flash light" mods that usually the 510 connector (or other) are brazed on with lead free solder.

Anyone have any comments Pro's / Con's for each technique...I have access to all off the above...I like the Idea of Silver Soldering for strength and conductivity, but may end up not looking very pretty.

Waiting for my free samples from TI and gathering up the other parts to make one these awesome Mods.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. In this Topic, the only thing that is soldered is the 510 connector in the top cap and the locking pin/ball bearing in the bottom cap (silver soldered).
Top cap is pressed on. You don't want to solder it on in the event that you may have to replace/repair a part.

The copper I made in several sections (VV Boost w/ D.P.) are all held together by friction. Even the bottom cap. http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,177.0.html

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

The 510 connector is soldered to the cap. Remove the center post and insulator so not to melt it. The copper absorbs a lot of heat. I used a torch to heat the copper cap first and pressed the 510 conn in and heated a little more then applied a tiny amount of solder around the connector. Be careful applying solder as it will run on to exposed copper and won't clean off.

Offline johnpencraig

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
P.S.
I haven't used a Tantalum in a booster in quite awhile. I found some short Aluminum that fit nicely. A bit wider than the tantalum.

Breaktru, Have you got a part no. for those capacitors please?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
These are not the same I mentioned. These are better (Low ESR)
Panasonic EEU-FR1A101

Offline johnpencraig

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
They look nicely compact, I'll go with them - thanks.

Ive got another question I'm afraid - The perennial pot issue - Most people (including Evolv!) seem to use the blue trimmer type, despite the specs showing a 200 turn rotational life - Does this matter in actual use, or do people find that there's no problem?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
They look nicely compact, I'll go with them - thanks.

Ive got another question I'm afraid - The perennial pot issue - Most people (including Evolv!) seem to use the blue trimmer type, despite the specs showing a 200 turn rotational life - Does this matter in actual use, or do people find that there's no problem?

It's not often that you turn/adjust the trimmer so 200 life cycles should suffice. Some trimmers are rated at 100 cycles so look at the spec's when ordering. This Vishay has a 2000 life cycle: http://www.vishay.com/resistors-variable/list/product-51021/

Offline SolarRay

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 03:16:32 AM »
The 510 connector is soldered to the cap. Remove the center post and insulator so not to melt it. The copper absorbs a lot of heat. I used a torch to heat the copper cap first and pressed the 510 conn in and heated a little more then applied a tiny amount of solder around the connector. Be careful applying solder as it will run on to exposed copper and won't clean off.

Solder Tricks from jewelers and musical instrument repair:

To prevent solder from running to unwanted areas:
  • Liquid Paper (White out, correction fluid) paint on to mask off areas
  • "Thermogel" get from the jewellry tools suppliers.
  • Bernzomatic Cold Coat which is available in many hardware stores here in the states.
  • Graphite, AKA pencil

Also parts to be joined CLEAN, Solder clean, use flux in small amounts.

Going to try some of the above tricks & also  lead free copper solder paste, will post results.

Soldering is like Vaping...most people need to figure out what works from them.

Offline raginredneck

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »
Great work Breaktru!! I have been working with a few different regulators and the 8100 seems to be the best efficiency wise. One question. Where do you get the board you used for the caps and resistor? I buy most of my stuff from mouser but cant seem to find anything of size there.

Thanks in advanced and keep up the excellent work  :thumbsup:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »
Great work Breaktru!! I have been working with a few different regulators and the 8100 seems to be the best efficiency wise. One question. Where do you get the board you used for the caps and resistor? I buy most of my stuff from mouser but cant seem to find anything of size there.

Thanks in advanced and keep up the excellent work  :thumbsup:

Thanks ragin, The board used in the photos were from Madvapes: http://www.madvapes.com/Mini-Pre-Cut-Interconnect-Circuit-Board_p_2567.html
But you can use any circuit board and cut it down to the desired size. You can use the larger boards from Mouser, Digikey, Radio Shack....etc...

Offline raginredneck

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
Thanks ragin, The board used in the photos were from Madvapes: http://www.madvapes.com/Mini-Pre-Cut-Interconnect-Circuit-Board_p_2567.html
But you can use any circuit board and cut it down to the desired size. You can use the larger boards from Mouser, Digikey, Radio Shack....etc...

I looked at those Madvapes ones before but wasn't sure how sturdy they were. Guess Ill give them a go Id rather have something already cut down so I don't have to mess with it. Thanks again

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
Is their anyway to test the 8100 before final product?  >:(  I dont have a breadboard  before anyone answers breadboard  :yes" I know I  know I need to get one.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
Is their anyway to test the 8100 before final product?  >:(  I dont have a breadboard  before anyone answers breadboard  :yes" I know I  know I need to get one.

If you look at the 1st/original post, you will see a photo of the parts out of the mod. You can solder directly on to the 08100w pins instead of on to a circuit board if you don't have one. Use a sleeve, insulation of a larger wire or shrink tubing to avoid pins and wire from shorting. Avoid excessive heat when soldering and unsoldering from pins to avoid damage.
Use a dab of solder paste to wires, pins, parts and thin before connecting. This way minimum heat will be need for solder tacking.

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
I have circuit board, maybe i damaged it with heat or something else, I have another maybe I will try it.  VI is where it should be just nothing on fire. 

IS the 0806 the same wiring?

Offline jester

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
yes and all the parts :thumbsup:jimmy

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
I have circuit board, maybe i damaged it with heat or something else, I have another maybe I will try it.  VI is where it should be just nothing on fire. 

IS the 0806 the same wiring?

The 08100w and the 08060w are the same pins and wiring. The 08100 is 10amps and the 08060 is 6amps.

Not sure what you mean: "VI is where it should be just nothing on fire"

When I said circuit board, I was taking about a board to mount the DC-DC converter like the one I linked for RaginRedneck.

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
Voltage in is good, everything is where it should be except when I go to "fire" the chip does nothing.   I may have damaged it when soldering it.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
Voltage in is good, everything is where it should be except when I go to "fire" the chip does nothing.   I may have damaged it when soldering it.

The converter could be fried. Just double check your wiring for shorts so you don't damage another. You could test the new one before you put on the caps.

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
I see you used 1/8 watt resistor and I used 1/4 1% would it make that much of a difference? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:12:34 PM by Dznutz »

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
It musta been the chip got one workin...  Thanks Break for the info.  :thumbsup:

Offline Dungog

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
First of all, very nice work you all do. Now i got hooked by doing my own mod, started to order bits and pieces around the world.

I am just such a noob when it comes to when it comes to those small parts, they tend to let out that smoke they run on  :wallbash:
After going thru forum posts several time i got to the point of starting drawing and putting some stuff together. I am not sure if this build, would be killing myself with a boom or if it is somehow safe.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:26:03 AM by Dungog »

Offline beamrider

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
Breaktru, where did you get that pot at, I'm having problems finding a decent sized trimmer @200ohms.  Also, does anyone make a nice 510 connector, preferable something that has a nut on the other end, for mounting?  I'm going to jam this circuit into a custom wood box, I just don't want to have to hotglue or epoxy it in place.  Also, only resistors MCM had on hand were 220ohm, and as I read it, that will just raise the max output voltage a little above 6.1VDC, correct?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
Breaktru, where did you get that pot at, I'm having problems finding a decent sized trimmer @200ohms.  Also, does anyone make a nice 510 connector, preferable something that has a nut on the other end, for mounting?  I'm going to jam this circuit into a custom wood box, I just don't want to have to hotglue or epoxy it in place.  Also, only resistors MCM had on hand were 220ohm, and as I read it, that will just raise the max output voltage a little above 6.1VDC, correct?

I bought them a long time ago from Goldmine electronics, 10 for a buck. They have removable stems and can be cut to length. Unfortunately I don't see them anymore on their site.

510 w/ nut: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shorty-510-510-Connector-extension-w-nut-5-pack-/330612401490
Can't say much for quality. I have stripped the nuts by over tightening.

yes the 220 ohm will give you a higher top end than the 240 ohm

Offline beamrider

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
Still searching on the pot, sounds like you got a nice deal on them!

Cheapest I can find the 510 connectors is here, they have sealed and unsealed for $2.99 each, if anyone else happens to be looking for them... :thumbsup:  http://www.smartvapes.com/Shorty-510-510-Extension-Connector-with-nut-sealed.html

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Variable Voltage 50W / 10A Copper Mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx