gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 19, 2024, 03:13:50 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  eJuice Calculator  |  Topic: eJuice Calculator - HOW TO
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: eJuice Calculator - HOW TO  (Read 541605 times)

Offline midnightron

Re: eJuice Calculator - HOW TO
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
Hello, yes I do use a sweetener. I use Ethyl Maltol (E-Cig express) and I use it at 5% to start out with so I don't waste a whole batch by making it too sweet. Remember, you can always add more and it is really hard to try and take away what you added. The only things I use a sweetener are strong tobacco flavor or  brands that really need a kick. You put it in the calculator when you are making your batch under other flavors. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and welcome aboard.
midnightron

Offline reb181

« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
I have bought my base with the nicotine mixed in so how do I tell the calculator my mix is made? for example i want to make a 10ml amount my base is 20%=80% with 12mg nicotine allready in the base (1% density) how do i put that in the calculator then I want to add flavor  the help said I have to guess on the PG amount that's in the flavor bottle hit and miss trying here I have no idea 30%-50%-70% 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:57:56 PM by reb181 »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
It sounds to me like you bought a 12mg Nic that is PG 20%/VG 80%.
Adding flavor will dilute your Nic strength.
Most flavoring is 100% PG based.
How strong do you want your flavoring? (percentage)

The image shows 10ml.
9ml Nic
and 10% PG flavoring = 1ml flavoring
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:53:19 PM by Breaktru »

Offline reb181

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
I like the 20% PG & 80% VG... you said adding the flavoring dulites the nicotine I think you are correct about the nicotine I have in my mixed base is 12mg if after adding the flavor it only goes down to say 10mg that would be fine with me I think...on the flavoring thing I may want to increase it a little I have been going for 20% flavor and I think I want to try alittle stronger flavor should I or can I tell the calculator 30% instead of 20%?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:12:04 PM by reb181 »

Offline reb181

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
Maybe next time I order base I will buy the nicotine seperate and add it as the calculator shows to get the 12mg that i want thanks for your help
I will keep trying mixing to get better at it.....

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »
Yes play with the Tool, "Combine Nic" to see your Nic strength out come. For 30% flavoring (seems high) use 3ml and for Nic enter 7ml.

Definitely the way to go by buying Nic, VG and PG separately. This way you have more options on your final out come.
My advise is to buy Nic at 100mg, 50/50. It will go a long way and you can swing your final target PG/VG easier.
If you are a low nic strength user, than 48mg is good.

Offline reb181

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
Thanks alot for your help I will get the nic and do it that way.......

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Maybe next time I order base I will buy the nicotine seperate and add it as the calculator shows to get the 12mg that i want thanks for your help
I will keep trying mixing to get better at it.....

:wallbash: :wallbash:   Reb:   This is a series of products I wish they would take off the market.  It is too limiting.  As you move through the DYI spectrum there will be situations where you are going to adjust one of the elements in the mixture and it will be difficult at best, most likely impossible.  Buying the PG, VG, and Nicotine separately does not cost much, if any, more than locking yourself in with those pre-"messes" .  I don't know  what you are paying, and worst yet where it is made, but you can safely buy from Wizard Labs, High Desert Vapes, and/or Mt. Baker Vapor, just to point out a few, without concern from the where the chemistry comes from.  Dekange, a Chinese manufacture, will not use some of the raw materials FROM CHINA.  So, you buy some of this cheap chemistry and you could be getting something harmful to your body.

Buying your base materials from a known source can put your mind at ease when it comes  your base, which is the largest part of you mix.  Your cost could end up being less going this way.  It also allows you the freedom to adjust the throat hit and vapor volume to your liking.  some people like to really get nailed in the throat while others may be allergic to the PG or just don't want any TH.  You can adjust all that, easily, when you have individual bottles. 

Eric

Offline reb181

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
Hi Eric I just ordered PG,VG,and Nic from high desert Vapes...had a long chat with the girl there and we figured out what I needed to get to do it right...Thanks for your input sound advice....have a great day!

Offline olsofty

« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
I have a question about mg... If I follow the recipe and I test the stuff and it is lower than what I wanted how many drops of nic juice will I add if the base juice is 48mg/l. for simplicity I want to make 1 ml of 24mg/l of juice. I noticed that 20 drops = 1ml what is the ratio of non-nic to nic to reduce or increase potency?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I have a question about mg... If I follow the recipe and I test the stuff and it is lower than what I wanted how many drops of nic juice will I add if the base juice is 48mg/l. for simplicity I want to make 1 ml of 24mg/l of juice. I noticed that 20 drops = 1ml what is the ratio of non-nic to nic to reduce or increase potency?

Hint: use the "Nic Combine" in the Tool menu

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
how can the calculator come up with a negative number when you are putting in  a50/50 mix?

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
in my venture to attempt doin some diy one of my regular vendors totally wicked e-liquid offered a sale on a diy kit 4 fluid ozs. each pg/vg,50 ml. 54mg/ml. platinum ice pg  based nic. mixing liquid your coice 5/10 ml. bottles of gold standard flavors.so now i just need to get all my measurements right and start my own diy juicey juice :rockin smiley:

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »
in my venture to attempt doin some diy one of my regular vendors totally wicked e-liquid offered a sale on a diy kit 4 fluid ozs. each pg/vg,50 ml. 54mg/ml. platinum ice pg  based nic. mixing liquid your coice 5/10 ml. bottles of gold standard flavors.so now i just need to get all my measurements right and start my own diy juicey juice :rockin smiley:

Hi Yuck:   Let me answer your question about the calculator telling you you have a PG deficiency (- negative amount of PG).  You wanted a 50/50 PG/VG mix and the calculator plugged in a quantities based on the amount of juice being made; basically the data entered at the top of the form.  Now you plug in the concentrates to be used and the % (percentage) of each.  The calculator knows that the flavors molecules (ingredients) are in a PG base, unless you tell it differently (through the PG and VG boxes on each flavor line) and adds iit up.  If that sum is less than the number calculated in the beginning, you have a PG deficiency and that notice will come up.  You can play with concentrate %s or simply change the PG/VG desired blend.  The choice is yours.  To me, the small change in the target blend is undetectable. 

To answer the question of what you need to DIY mix,I am going to give you what will be a comfortable kit that you can (and will) add to the kit.  Here is a list with suggested quantities:

1 ml (eg.,1 cc) syringes - 4 ea
      3 ml syringes - 2 ea
      5 ml syringe - 1 ea
      22ga x 1/2" blunt needles - 6 ea
      18ga x 2" blunt needle - 1 ea
      18ga x 3" blunt needles - 1 ea
      10 ml Graduate cylinder (.01 ml graduations) - 1 ea
      25 ml Graduate cylinder (.05 ml graduations) - 1 ea (optional)
      5 ml bottles with drip nozzle and caps - 15 ea or 3 ml bottles - 20 ea (6 ml bottles can be substituted for 5 ml)
      10 ml bottles w/   "         "        "    "     -  4 ea
      10 transfer pipettes of each of the 2 sizes (they cost about a buck for 10 of them)

That will get you started.  Get bottles from U.S. Plastics (Cat. on line) and other lab where is available at Mt. Baker Vapor, High Desert Vapers, and Wizard Labs as starters.  I found another source this morning.  It is RTS Vapers.  They seem to have it all and where I would go if just starting out and building my mixing space.  The only thing I DID NOT see were the small blunt needles that fit into the nozzle opening of the concentrate bottles (to draw the liquid into the measuring seringe(s)).

Good Luck and have fun.        Eric
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:34:06 AM by Erck89 »

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2014, 12:22:10 AM »
:begging:
 erck 89 thanks for the help i was curious is there somewhere that shows like the calculator and what to put exactly where out there somewhere kinda like a guideline to go by? :begging:

Online dennis15

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »
 erck 89 thanks for the help i was curious is there somewhere that shows like the calculator and what to put exactly where out there somewhere kinda like a guideline to go by? :begging:

Look at the first (OP) post in this topic. It has a link to a .pdf guide and below that several youtube videos.

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »

Yuck:  I wrote a line by line guide for the forum.  Let me find it and either copy it and drop it here or give you the location.

I found the abridged version and will drop it below.  The full version I wrote on another forum and will have to bring it over if you would like a more complete and suscient explanation.  Let me know in a private message (see top of forum page "Messages") and I will post it.  Good Luck and have fun.

First, lets establish which calculator you are using.  This is to allow me to get on the same page with you.  At the top of the calculator form, kit should say "e-Juice Calculator"  and the first line says "Enter Your Amounts".  If we are not on the same calculator, I need for you to get the e-juice calculator, available thru a link on the forum.  I believe we are on the right calculator. 

Next, check your nicotine bottle.  It should have sticker on it that says "24mg in PG" or a statement to that effect on the bottle's label.  DO not confuse the issue by providing the size of hte bottle (i.e., "60ml").  If it is 24mg, enter that number in the very first box, in the upper right of the form and directly below the 'Print Image" box framed in blue.  On that same line, where it says "PG    %", put 100.

The next line is labeled "Target Nicotine strenth" .  At the far right, enter the nicotine content you desire the finished product to contain. In this case, enter "6".  Your finished juice should now have 6mg or 6% nicotine.

On the line "Amount to Make" enter the size of the batch you are making (3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, etc) in the box proceeding the "mg" label.

Next enter the name of each of the concentrates you are going to use in you juice, one to a line.  DO NOT enter anything else on an individual name line, except all the way to the right in the box adjacent to the last % mark.  This is a percentage of the total amount of flavor concentrates to be added to the dilutants.  Not a percentage of the total bottle volume.

Last step before we hit the button.

In the lower half of the forum, there are two lines that determine how much dilutent, PG and VG, will be in the final mix.  In either box put the number 50.  You indicated you wanted a 50/50 mix so we don't have be concerned where the 50 is entered.

Hit the "Calculate" button at the bottom of the page and read your recipe for 6ml of x juice, with 6mg nicotine, and a 50/50 base mix.

With few exception, your mix will need to step from 48 hours to 4 to 6 weeks before it will reach it's final flavor.  The concentrate requiring the longest steeping time is Peach.  What you are doing when you steep a mix is allowing the chemicals (e.g., molecule) to oxidize and melt with the other flavor molecules of the mix.

I hope you find this helpful.  Happy mixing (it is fun) and happy vaping.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:19:26 AM by Erck89 »

Offline ngeb528

« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

edsendemic:  First, lets establish which calculator you are using.  This is to allow me to get on the same page with you.  At the top of the calculator form, kit should say "e-Juice Calculator"  and the first line says "Enter Your Amounts".  If we are not on the same calculator, I need for you to get the e-juice calculator, available thru a link on the forum.  I believe we are on the right calculator. 

Next, check your nicotine bottle.  It should have sticker on it that says "24mg in PG" or a statement to that effect on the bottle's label.  DO not confuse the issue by providing the size of hte bottle (i.e., "60ml").  If it is 24mg, enter that number in the very first box, in the upper right of the form and directly below the 'Print Image" box framed in blue.  On that same line, where it says "PG    %", put 100.

The next line is labeled "Target Nicotine strenth" .  At the far right, enter the nicotine content you desire the finished product to contain. In this case, enter "6".  Your finished juice should now have 6mg or 6% nicotine.

On the line "Amount to Make" enter the size of the batch you are making (3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, etc) in the box proceeding the "mg" label.

Next enter the name of each of the concentrates you are going to use in you juice, one to a line.  DO NOT enter anything else on an individual name line, except all the way to the right in the box adjacent to the last % mark.  This is a percentage of the total amount of flavor concentrates to be added to the dilutants.  Not a percentage of the total bottle volume.

Last step before we hit the button.

In the lower half of the forum, there are two lines that determine how much dilutent, PG and VG, will be in the final mix.  In either box put the number 50.  You indicated you wanted a 50/50 mix so we don't have be concerned where the 50 is entered.

Hit the "Calculate" button at the bottom of the page and read your recipe for 6ml of x juice, with 6mg nicotine, and a 50/50 base mix.

With few exception, your mix will need to step from 48 hours to 4 to 6 weeks before it will reach it's final flavor.  The concentrate requiring the longest steeping time is Peach.  What you are doing when you steep a mix is allowing the chemicals (e.g., molecule) to oxidize and melt with the other flavor molecules of the mix.

I hope you find this helpful.  Happy mixing (it is fun) and happy vaping.     Eric
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
Just had one of those AH-HA moments where it brought it all together.  I was having trouble understanding the PG/VG ratio because I had 100% PG 24mg nic juice and couldn't figure out why the calculator was asking for more PG.  The Gump in me (to borrow someone else's expression) was putting the 50/50 outcome I desired into the percentage boxes at the top, under Enter Your Amounts, instead of the Target PG/VG % boxes.  Now it makes sense!!!

This is my first day on the forum (just found it) and I've been reading non-stop for about 3 hours and have learned A LOT!

Looking forward to collecting lots of valuable nuggets from everyone and (hopefully) sharing things I figure out too.

Nancy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:58:02 PM by ngeb528 »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »

This is my first day on the forum (just found it) and I've been reading non-stop for about 3 hours and have learned A LOT!

Looking forward to collecting lots of valuable nuggets from everyone and (hopefully) sharing things I figure out too.

Nancy

Welcome to the forum Nancy  :wave:

Offline gladheart

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »
 :wave: Nancy,

Welcome.... Your post reminded me it's been a long time since I've posted and that I'm a newbie in many ways or else just a slow learner....

:thankyou: Breaktru for this program!!!  It helps me each time I make any e-Juice.  Appreciate the knowledge you have shared in formulating too.

Keep 'tinkering' with amounts of PG/VG and also flavorings.  Wound up diluting honey in PGA because it 'stank' to me.  And made up some Maltol using PGA too.  Believe I finally have a taste that I like, even if the ml &/or % amounts of ingredients may seems 'weird'.  Keep getting the PG lower and bout as low as is easy to use... reckon could go to total VG and dilute it... still occasionally have some side effects if I get e-juice in my mouth over needing to change atomizer or whatever I do to cause the tank to not function as intended...

Using 6 of the 7 flavor lines.  And am glad to have 2 basic recipes to use.  Wound up mixing 2gm menthol crystals in 10ml PGA.  The person using the blend likes the e-juice better than a name brand .... this surely made my day, blessed me to the max to think that I made the e-juice and it was considered better to the person than the name brand.  Believe it was using Breaktru's program  .... just trying to learn to use the program and believe the program has made it possible for me to learn a little bit and make an e-juice with a satisfactory taste to me.  (my personal e-juice blend: Peach, 555, Commercial Tobacco, Malto (PGA dilution), Honey (PGA dilution), and only 5 drops of TA.) And I paid attention to what Eric said about using Peach flavor.

AND, I'm and so grateful to have not smoked a cigarette since 15 of June 2013.  I'd smoked over a pack a day for over 50 years.

... Gave up on adding the amount of PGA and just posted calculated % and it shows 5 drops.  Seems funny how 0.23% TA can make a difference in taste.  Just can't figure out how to put the amount of PGA in alcohol/water in the right place .... don't know how to do alcohol percent of a dispersed amount.  EX: 4 drops honey that is from Wizard Labs dispersed into 400 drops or 10 ml. PGA.  Oh, and long ago using the same dropper each time it came out as 40 drops per ml not 20.  Checked drop count and the same applied with flavors.... weird?  Stay with using syringes and occasionally check weight on digital scale.... go by the syringe because there is a difference in gram weight and ml weight.  Depends upon the ingredient...

Tobacco Absolute is no longer available to order it seems ...

Well, just want to say hi to Nancy.  Thank Breakhru,  and to thank everyone for posting.  I do read posts and truly am grateful for them.  :thankyou: Breaktru and  thank you posters.

Well, this post went from a 'hi' to a rather convoluted post, eh? 

gladheart

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:52:51 PM by gladheart »

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
 :rockin smiley:  :applaude: well i still have not been able to get the calculator to come up right keep grttin the negative pg error but i was able to successfully mix a 5 ml. test batch that worked out my nic juice is 100%pg tried 50/50 pg/vg mix in the calc.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »
List every thing you have and want it to be. Also what you want your target nic and PG/VG ratio to be and I'll post an image of the calculator with the settings.

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
nic.54mg/ml 100%pg
nic. target 36 mg
50/50 pg/avg 10 ml.
20% flavor using totally wicked's gold standard flavor
thanks for the help

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2014, 07:30:15 AM »
This is the highest VG ratio that you can get out of what your have.
You can't turn water into wine.
Because of the Nic being 100 PG and the small difference from 54mg to 36mg it would be impossible to make a target ratio of 50/50.

Offline horton

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
I think everyone can learn from your recent example, Breaktru..... it's one of the clearest ones I've looked at yet.   Thanks very much and also a belated kudo for the new design of the calculator.  I really like the more "horizontal" format!!

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
thank you breaktru i see on the right side it shows 0 for pg diluent

Online FluGlone

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2014, 05:27:46 AM »
thank you breaktru i see on the right side it shows 0 for pg diluent

yes NO additional pg will be added by you.

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
thanks i'm guessing it's because my nic base is pure pg, it showed in that example a small amount of vg,what if i want more vg, cause from what i have gathered so far pg is more for throat hit where vg is more of the vapor production am i correct in that idea?

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »
 :wallbash:

Mr. Yuck:    Most nic is in a 100% PG base.  This is not your problem or everybody would have the problem.  You are hung up on the numbers.  If the calculator tells you you have a negative amount of PG for your mix and your recipe has no wiggle room, change the ratio.  You are looking for a 50/50 PG/VG mix and you don't have enough flavors to offset that pg in the amount of nic you are using.  Change the ratio to 40/60  or start playing with the percentages of the flavors you are using.  Going to a 40/60 ratio, i doubt you will notice the difference.  If you do, add some water or vodka to the recipe.  I suspect you are using low percentages of flavor concentrates in you mix.  If this is the case, increase the % of the flavor concentrates in the mix.  You said you are using TW concentrates.  these are good with regard to increased % of a flavor.  Do not get hung up on numbers.  There are those that swear you can't use more that a 20% flavor profile.  I have developed around 300 unique ready to use flavors for my friend's shop.  Some of these have a 35 or 40% profile.  Since people want to use the juice right away and it is made when they buy it, there is no time for steeping and you mix heavy knowing it is going to mellow as time passes.  Another thing you can do if the ratio is just not right for you.  Add 2 drops of FA's MTS for each 6 ml you are mixing,  If you still have a problem, send me a private message and include a screen shot or picture of the calculator sheet you want to use. but keep getting the neg pg message for.   Hope this helps.

Eric

Offline mr. yuck

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »
o.k. at this point i'm not looking to mic different flavors just one flavor at a time until i can begin to mix just one flavor :thankyou:

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
 :beer-toast:    ;cheers;

Yuck, that is very smart, not to mention cool.   But.  Don't get hung up on the numbers.  Especially, mixing singles.  When you mix a single, start with 18 to 22% on your flavor concentrate.  You may find your pg neg. problem goes away.  The only time you want to start with a lower % is if the concentrate is a super concentrate.  Then you will start down around 5%.

Try this:  Make a 1 ml test batch of:

13 drops PG  =                           .65ml PG
            6 drops VG  =                           .3ml VG
            1 drop flavor concentrate  =   0.05ml

That gives you a 5% flavor profile.  For a 10%, add 2 drops of concentrate, etc..  For each added drop of flavor concentrate, eliminate 1 drop of the PG (unless you are buying 100% VG based concentrates.  Then you would eliminate a drop of VG.).  3 drops = 15%, 4 drops  = 20%, etc.  What you have just mixed is a 70/30 test mix.

This also makes it easier to see why the negative PG message.  (i.e.,  At 50/50 the it would be 10 drops Pg
                                                                                                                                                          10 drops VG
 Add 1 drop of flavor to this flavor concentrate with a VG component and your PG drops below 10 and you get the Negative PG message.  I am not absolutely certain. but I believe that concentrates are made in a base that contains "some" VG.  You can lie to the calculator and the message won't come up.  On each flavor line you use, check the 100% PG box between the flavor name and the % box.  Now you don't get the message, but you really are not 50/50 either.

Hope this helps.       Eric

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
:beer-toast:    ;cheers;

Yuck, that is very smart, not to mention cool.   But.  Don't get hung up on the numbers.  Especially, mixing singles.  When you mix a single, start with 18 to 22% on your flavor concentrate.  You may find your pg neg. problem goes away.  The only time you want to start with a lower % is if the concentrate is a super concentrate.  Then you will start down around 5%.

Try this:  Make a 1 ml test batch of:

13 drops PG  =                           .65ml PG
            6 drops VG  =                           .3ml VG
            1 drop flavor concentrate  =   0.05ml

That gives you a 5% flavor profile.  For a 10%, add 2 drops of concentrate, etc..  For each added drop of flavor concentrate, eliminate 1 drop of the PG (unless you are buying 100% VG based concentrates.  Then you would eliminate a drop of VG.).  3 drops = 15%, 4 drops  = 20%, etc.  What you have just mixed is a 70/30 test mix.

This also makes it easier to see why the negative PG message.  (i.e.,  At 50/50 the it would be 9 drops Pg
                                                                                                                                                          10 drops VG
 Add 1 drop of flavor to this flavor concentrate with a VG component and your PG drops below 10 and you get the Negative PG message.  I am not absolutely certain. but I believe that concentrates are made in a base that contains "some" VG.  You can lie to the calculator and the message won't come up.  On each flavor line you use, check the 100% PG box between the flavor name and the % box.  Now you don't get the message, but you really are not 50/50 either.

Hope this helps.       Eric

Offline Dragos

« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
OK I still do not understand why the calculator gives a neg number for pg, when you put that your nic base is 100% VG, your target blend id 100 VG and the flavoring has no pg.

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
OK I still do not understand why the calculator gives a neg number for pg, when you put that your nic base is 100% VG, your target blend id 100 VG and the flavoring has no pg.

:wallbash:   OK.  Had to go experiment with this before I answered.   Look to the right of each of the flavor entries.  There is a box and at the top it says "FLAVOR ZERO PG/VG"  Make sure there is nothing in those boxes where there is a flavor entry.  Next to that is PG 100%  VG 0 %.  This is where your getting the message from.  The program is getting a mixed message and it is choosing what would be a normal condition.  Go to the VG box and change 0% to 100%.  Do this for each place you have a flavor entered.  That will take care of your problem.  Good luck.  I think you will find DIY is a lot of fun.

Offline Dragos

« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »
If I uncheck the no vg/pg box and make the vg 100% everything is fine but if you check that box it makes the vg and pg fields 0 and gives you a neg pg. The about says version is 14.0.0.1 Maybe I have have found a bug?

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »

Your up Dave.  Be gentle.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:01 PM »

Your up Dave.  Be gentle.

Hey Eric, I deleted the post. He has posted this before about such a minor difference in PG/VG ratio of nic. It's not worth arguing about.

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
Ok, Dave.  It was such a small delta and he even said not counting the flavors.  I love helping the folks, but how many times have all of us gone into the calculator mechanics.  Also, 1000ml:  I suck up a lot of juice, but even I don't go through that much juice a year.

Ok, Thanks Dave  Eric

Offline joshleeman

« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »
Search for Flavoring

Looking for a recipe to support your flavors on hand?

Use this: Harddisk Search and Stats Freeware software to find it. http://www.harddisksearch.com/
This program does not need to be installed. Just extract the file contents into a new folder and create a shortcut to the file HDSearchAndStats.exe

Type each flavor on a new line and HDsearch&Stats will search inside the recipe files for your search word or words.

Results:

Harddrive Search and Stats can be downloaded here: http://www.harddisksearch.com/

This is absolutely brilliant, such a help for a newbie diyer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:26:33 PM by Breaktru »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
 This program is the bomb. It is easy to understand and work with. My problem is not with the calculator at all but lack of experience. Even working with single flavors they taste rather bland and lack sweetness. So I add more flavoring and sweetener, then more and then more. Before long what I am vapping is not even close to the recipe I started with. As of yet I have not made a single brew that was right from the get go. I have adjusted 10 to 15 times some times before I get something I like. I am using only fruit flavors thus far and that is okay because that is what I like but I like them real fruity and rather sweet and seems to be a problem . Any ideas?...............Bruce

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
This program is the bomb. It is easy to understand and work with. My problem is not with the calculator at all but lack of experience. Even working with single flavors they taste rather bland and lack sweetness. So I add more flavoring and sweetener, then more and then more. Before long what I am vapping is not even close to the recipe I started with. As of yet I have not made a single brew that was right from the get go. I have adjusted 10 to 15 times some times before I get something I like. I am using only fruit flavors thus far and that is okay because that is what I like but I like them real fruity and rather sweet and seems to be a problem . Any ideas?...............Bruce

Bruce:   I don't know whose concentrated flavors you have, so I can not make a blanket statement on the percentage of flavor to use.  What I can do, and this is probably the best thing to get you familiar with the manufactures, is send you out to each manufactures web site and have you find their flavor % recommendation(s).  One of the toughest one to find is FlavorArt.  Most of their flavors are recommended for use at 5 to 15% with an average being 12%.  That's a quote from there site.  Then they turn around and provide different info on (http//www.flavourartexpress.biz/index.php?dispatch+pages.view&page_id=20) site and get more definitive.  Unless someone tells you about this site, you never know to go there.  In two list they still don't cover all concentrate flavors.  I will then go with a test or a test mix at 12% and adjust from there.  I would recommend a single flavor mix of 2 - 3 ml.  Single flavor mixes don't really have to steep.  They can be vaped after mixing with just a good shake and are about all they are going to be after 12 hours.  For more supplier recommendations, Google "Guide To Flavouring" and go to latest updated info.  Nine of the suppliers have provided their recommendations in individual list.  There is also a flavors pairings list you may find interesting.  the Bottom line is go to the site of the supplier(s) of the concentrates you have.  Also as a guideline, check for super concentrates.  These usually start at 2 to 2.5% per 10 ml mix.  Happy Hunting.

Eric

Offline pendragon1950

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »
love this calculator, maby i'm paranoid but has any one found any information on weather these flavorings are safe for our lungs. as in our stomachs have hydrochloric acid but our lungs do not. i would love to do flavorings but are they safe for our lungs. :Thinking:

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
love this calculator, maby i'm paranoid but has any one found any information on weather these flavorings are safe for our lungs. as in our stomachs have hydrochloric acid but our lungs do not. i would love to do flavorings but are they safe for our lungs. :Thinking:

If you buy flavors concentrates made in the USA, Europe, and from only DeKange or Hugan (I know, I spelled them wrong.  Will correct the spelling in a follow-up post unless someone else put in the correct spelling) in China, you are good unless they are oil based.  DO NOT buy oil based flavors/extracts.  Lor Ann use to have oil based flavors, but I read, just yesterday, they longer offer any oil based concentrates for vaping.  Same article mentioned FlavorArt as offering one or two oil based concentrates, but clearly mark them not for vaping.  VZ's super concentrates are all acceptable as far as I have been able to determine.  Bottom line:  Stay away from Chinese juices and oil based concentrates and you'll be OK.

Offline pendragon1950

« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
    If you buy flavors concentrates made in the USA, Europe, and from only DeKange or Hugan (I know, I spelled them wrong.  Will correct the spelling in a follow-up post unless someone else put in the correct spelling) in China, you are good unless they are oil based.  DO NOT buy oil based flavors/extracts.  Lor Ann use to have oil based flavors, but I read, just yesterday, they longer offer any oil based concentrates for vaping.  Same article mentioned FlavorArt as offering one or two oil based concentrates, but clearly mark them not for vaping.  VZ's super concentrates are all acceptable as far as I have been able to determine.  Bottom line:  Stay away from Chinese juices and oil based concentrates and you'll be OK.

thank you very much for the quick response,  but i was actually searching for some links to tests done showing that these food flavorings are harmless to the lungs. i don't think they exist but I'll keep searching.

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
thank you very much for the quick response,  but i was actually searching for some links to tests done showing that these food flavorings are harmless to the lungs. i don't think they exist but I'll keep searching.

Pen dragon:   I have been trying to answer your  every since you posted, but the server would not let me.  Kept getting a 403 error code.  There has been somewhere around a 100 to 150 heath test done.  Go to the SFATA or the CASCAA site and check for links to research.  Have run.  Eric

Offline pendragon1950

« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
thank you much, i will.  :thumbsup:

Offline Darkwater

« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
Hi all, forum newbie here...

I am missing something I am sure, but I cannot figure out how/why the Nic Juice, PG and VG have separate line items in the calculated product.

This is my first batch, so please be patient with me. :wave:

The input asks for only the Nic Juice and flavorings, so how do I calculate what to use to mix, when the PG and VG are listed as separate items? There are no inputs for PG and VG as separates.  Doh:

Sorry if this is a dumb question (most likely) but I am stumped. I thought that the Nic Juice was pre-mixed with all the VG/PG I need. Does this mean that I need 2 more ingredients I had not counted on buying?

I am hoping I did not get my own answer....  :no:
Thanks

D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:07:41 PM by Darkwater »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
Hi Darkwater and welcome to the forum.
What we are doing is taking a concentrated nicotine liquid and diluting it to a lower level of your choice.
The 1st line of the calc is the strength of your Nicotine liquid and the base percentage of PG and VG. Ex: 100mg in 50/50 PG/VG.
The next line is what we want your eJuice strength to be (Target).
The calculated result shows how much PG and VG to add to your mix to bring down your higher strength Nicotine to a lower strength to vape.

It's not pre-mixed eJuice that you put on the 1st line but unflavored nicotine.
Pure nicotine is 1000mg. If you bought 100mg of unflavored nicotine it would be 10% nicotine. That means it was diluted down. When buying it you have a choice of what was used to cut it down to 10% was. 100% PG, 100% VG or 50/50.

Offline Darkwater

« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
Hi

So what I am hearing you say is that I cannot use this calculator with a premix base/nic, unless there is some formula that I can use to simulate the PG/VG numbers the recipe calc is looking for, in order to come out 0% for both? Is that correct? The base I am using is supposed just need flavoring to vape it. I am just needing a calculator to give me the amounts of each  flavor to produce the recipe. Am I right or am I still missing something.

If I was using a nic concentrate, with PG and VG as separate ingredients, the calc would work as designed. But with a base that  is customized with the target VG/PG and nicotine levels already in the base, the calculator cannot determine just the flavor levels needed? Or did it anyway?

Can I just take the calculated Nic, PG & VG and add them together and assume that is the amount of pre-mix base to use, along with the flavor results as shown in the calculation? It comes out to 80% and the flavors add the other 20%?

Thanks

Doug

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
Give me the details on what you have and what you want it to be. There is a Tool in the calc that may help.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  eJuice Calculator  |  Topic: eJuice Calculator - HOW TO

gfxgfx
gfx gfx