gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 19, 2024, 03:16:45 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage  (Read 502180 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage
« Reply #450 on: April 02, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
I meant heat sink :p
I asked because on italian forum they say that circuit fries if more than 12w are required
Thank you for the explaination btw

When running a converter beyond it's maximum specifications you run the risk of damaging it. The PTN04050c maximum specs seem to be underrated and can be pushed a bit above the max. How much over safely and for how long? I don't know.
I have successfully pushed several 04050's over it's limit with no ill effects for testing but I don't do that often so I don't know if it would be damaged if used like that continuously.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #451 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
The parts that get hot and can benefit from additional cooling are the inductor and switches.  For a heat sink to do anything with these parts, they have to be the type with an exposed die on top.  Here's an example.  The epoxy packages used on these parts has poor thermal conductivity so little heat can be transferred through the packaging material.  Since exposed die parts are not used there, a heat sink will not have a significant effect on cooling.

Since e-cigs are not powered continuously, there's time between loading that allows parts too cool.  Even when overdriven, the intermittent application of power with an e-cig keeps parts from overheating.  Though, if driven hard enough for long enough it's still possible to overheat the parts.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:06:45 PM by CraigHB »

Offline wreck

« Reply #452 on: April 03, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
While you're in there, check the integrity of all you connections

Well, I rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up and it is working much better than before... :)

I think some of my connections were a bit weak, and I'd also used longer runs of wire than in my previous build. I reorganised the internals to let me use less wire, and it's improved things greatly

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #453 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Well, I rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up and it is working much better than before... :)

I think some of my connections were a bit weak, and I'd also used longer runs of wire than in my previous build. I reorganised the internals to let me use less wire, and it's improved things greatly

Great to hear that. Well done mate.
Sometimes going over things 1,2,3, even 4 times can find a potential fault.

Offline Mandro

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
I'm glad you got it fixed wreck  :thumbsup:
I also had problems with my latest 04050 mod. All was working fine until I tried to charge the batteries with the micro USB charger, when I removed the lead, the cradle was still attached.
The enclosure was designed with the idea of not having to remove the batteries too often as it wasn't that easy with them being wired in parallel.
I didn't have another USB charging board so I swapped the 04050 chip for a 08060 and modified the enclosure to make swapping batteries easy.
Tbh, I prefer the 08.... chips so I'm happy with the result.

Offline wreck

« Reply #455 on: April 04, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
Cheers Mandro :)

Do be honest, I'm prefering the OKR chips... I like being able to pop my atties from my mechanical mods which I usally coil at about 1.0ohm onto it, without worrying about over working the chip.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #456 on: April 04, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
The step-downs are easier on the battery since they reduce battery current where the step-ups increase battery current.  The big advantage with the boosters is you only need one cell and you can throw a USB charger on there easily.  The big advantage with the step-downs is better performance, but you need two cells.  So yeah, the OKRs are probably going to work better for you.

Offline t-minik

« Reply #457 on: June 06, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
Hi

Thanks for your hard work on this mod !

I just get from TI a couple of PTN04050C, can you tell me what happens when battery goes lower than 2.95V (as said in datasheet it's the minimum Vin value) ?

- will the PTN cut off ?
- will it continue to works ?

thanks a lot and best regards.
t-minik

EDIT // I'm planing to use it with 2 N-mosfets (irlr7843), one for firing and one as a battery reverse polarity protection.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:49:03 AM by t-minik »

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #458 on: June 06, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
It will cut off at roughly 2.75v-2.95v but way before that,  the vape at approximately 3.2v starts pwm like a rattle snake with a limp. :laughing2: 
Both modules the buck 08100-8060/--- boost 4050, they will do that,  no more vapes at that time hopefully you can hear it,  especially if you do not have a battery monitor or cut-off installed.  When outside or busy area you cannot hear it...

I have ran my 4050 at 24-30 watts daily now for almost ~5 months.   I do however have it wired with 18ga and lipo batt,  previous had it wired with 22ga.  18ga wire makes a huge difference close to shut-off and warmth of battery and chip..  With 22ga the battery would get really warm the board also.. @ 18ga no warm battery or chip.  12w will not fry it if wired with heavier gauge and a good battery.  I noticed with a 14500, it gets warrm/hot either way I wired when above 15w,  with a 650mah 9 amp lipo round, no warmth even @ 24w but beware  of the cutoff with a lipo it definitely is bad below 3v..

Theres a guy on ecf who also uses the 4050 a lot and he has fried a couple of them so ymmv..  Solder good, connections good, caps direct on pin, 510, high c batts etc..

I pit this boost module against a provari any day, eyes closed you would not be able to tell which is in your hand by the vape quality until above 20w then the 4050 runs away from a provari and is awesome..  Voltage accuracy and smooth vaping, its silky smooth..

----
With standard resistance it was fine 2.0-2.8ohm any way I had it wired or type battery.  It was from Breaks finding with his mcu mod that I rewired and used a lipo..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:31:06 PM by Visus »

Offline t-minik

« Reply #459 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
ok thanks Visus.

rattle snake is perfect to me, i don't care about DMM and other things, just want to get a cool 9/10W little mod for everyday use.
I never go down to 1.8R coil with my Evods so it seems perfect to me.
It would be perfect with some 20A 18650 LG battery i get.

Thanks a lot for your advices on Wire gauge.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #460 on: June 06, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »
You really don't want to let the regulator buzz like that if you can avoid it.  What's happening is the regulator is cycling from startup at a high frequency which heavily loads the components.  That puts extra wear on them and increases chance of failure.  The repetitive heavy magnetic loading on the inductor is makes it buzz like that.  The inductor core physically oscillates and makes a sound.  Though, you need some kind of low voltage cut-out or low battery indicator to keep that from happening, there's really no way to avoid it otherwise.

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #461 on: June 16, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Two questions here:
  • What would be the best (efficient both parts and space wise) way to implement a low-bat shut off
  • For the 100k trimpot, is there a recommended mW rating we should be looking for? Or can we use just about anything?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
If using a tactile and MOSFET to fire the atomizer, you can simply put a voltage detector inline.  I've talked about that on the forum here a couple times.  Though the part is small and hard to work with.  Not a problem if you're not afraid to make little host PCB for it.  There's other options for power modules that have an enable pin.  The TI booster module does not have one.

You can use any pot you want really.  It's not a matter ratings since the currents are small.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #463 on: June 16, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
If using a tactile and MOSFET to fire the atomizer, you can simply put a voltage detector inline.  I've talked about that on the forum here a couple times.  Though the part is small and hard to work with.  Not a problem if you're not afraid to make little host PCB for it.  There's other options for power modules that have an enable pin.  The TI booster module does not have one.

You can use any pot you want really.  It's not a matter ratings since the currents are small.

You mentioned the voltage detector HERE

I have a question for Mr. Craig.
Rather than using a voltage detector, can a Mosfet with a threshold MINIMUM voltage of 3.0V be used so it won't turn on under 3.0V?
Something like THIS
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:29:28 PM by Breaktru »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #464 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
The problem with using a MOSFET is that you get into the active region of the transistor.  A transistor's most elemental function is to operate like a valve in controlling current.  A transistor can be used as a switch but it has to be operated in it's "saturation" region. 

To be used as a switch, a transistor has to be fully on or fully off in the same manner you would turn a valve all the way open or all the way closed.  If you apply a voltage (for a FET) or a current (for a bipolar junction transistor) that is in the "active" region, you end up in effect with a resistor, the valve is partially open.

To use a FET, you have to provide a signal that is either on or off.  A voltage detector can provide that signal or an array of discrete components can be used.  It would take a number of transistors and a Zener discretely so it's just a lot easier to use a chip designed for that purpose, albeit in a small and hard to handle package.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #465 on: June 16, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Thanks Craig.
Now that I think about it, I had the partially open effect using a mosfet with a touch point before finding a proper resistance value for the gate to source resistor.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #466 on: June 16, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Welcome,

In reading that older post I noticed I had said I rather avoid the 0402 (1005 metric) parts.  Well I'm back at it with the 0402 caps and resistors with my latest controller board project.  Just can't seem to stay away from those damn things.  I can't make the board bigger so I have to make the parts smaller to add more of them.

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #467 on: June 16, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Finally got my first 44 put together.

straightforward 2xAA box, point to point soldered all of the components.
My pot wasn't true enough, so I'm getting 4.0 to 6.2V, but that's juuuust fine by me.  tastes like a freshly charged battery on every drag!

Beats the pants off of my 2700mah ego-t board 3xAA box too!

Best part? Got 3 more 4050's to play with!

Now if that bottle of juice would stop stinking like rotting cologne...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:48:57 PM by XombyCraft »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #468 on: July 14, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
Finally got my first 44 put together.

straightforward 2xAA box, point to point soldered all of the components.
My pot wasn't true enough, so I'm getting 4.0 to 6.2V, but that's juuuust fine by me.  tastes like a freshly charged battery on every drag!

Beats the pants off of my 2700mah ego-t board 3xAA box too!

Best part? Got 3 more 4050's to play with!

Now if that bottle of juice would stop stinking like rotting cologne...

Congrats on your build.

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #469 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
Woot another break boost 4050c

pics?

Ya do know xomb
you can run it up to 14v,  I have one that does 9.2ish I ferget and its shelved until I get another lipo or toss it, cause only a 650mah lipo will fit the enclosure.  It is kinda cool being able to run them up or set em at  6ish whatever.

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #470 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Yea I figured by playing with the resistor values I could push the voltages around.  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get higher V-rated caps if you're going to push to/over 10v though.

My goal was not only to get un-rustified electronics wise, but to see what the performance improvement of higher voltages on my vaping experience.  This thing kicks like a mule on every hit now, and I'm loving it.

I did notice that at both ends of the 100k spectrum on the pot there seem to be "dead zones" where the V doesn't change, and I noticed this both with a trimpot and a modpots 100k pot i had laying around for testing purposes.  Is this normal?

Unfortunately, even at the higher end of its range, it failed to un-sucktificate a couple of lousy bottles of juice I got from MadVapes.

It seems as though the "modern" mixes are trending towards requiring high V or low/sub-ohm specs just to get a decent experience.  As I'm not much for cloudchasing, it's become irksome.  I may just be having a streak of bad juice luck.

Way way back when Altsmoke was still carrying "high caliber" brand juice, I could vape right out of the box... and got a great experience with the early tanks, cartos, and cartomizers...  But these days half of them you need to "steep" outgas for days/weeks, and its STILL hit or miss on if they're going to taste/smell like my grandfather's aftershave?  I just don't understand the logic, or why we throw away our $$$ on this crap, or why we work so hard to try to "fix" something that shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

My next 44 is going to be in a 3xAA box that fits perfectly in a small cell phone belt clip I got for free with some order from somewhere some time ago.  Currently that case is holding my 3xAA batbox setup (3.3 v regulated ego PCB holds 1,2, or 3x 14500s), but I'm better served by this little booster.  Planning an e-pipe build around this board too... going to have to call it the 12+ booster, lol.

I'll get some pics of my mods put up as soon as I've got a few minutes to spare.

Offline thinman

« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
Hi guys, I'm going to build the 18500 version and I'm checking to see if this cap will work.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/27526-tap107k016ccs-vp-tap-capacitor-tantalum-radial-100uf-16vdc-10.html

Also the watts for the resistors would be very helpful. I hope I put that correctly. I've had the board a couple of years so it's about time I'd say.  :D

And this trimmer.            http://www.jameco.com/1/1/29922-3306p-1-104-3306-resistor-trimmer-cermet-1-turn-0-2w-100000-ohm.html

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:53:29 AM by thinman »

Offline XombyCraft

• [¬º-°]¬
« Reply #472 on: August 04, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »
I used 10V rated electrolytic (tested low ESR) caps, so 16V rated tantalums should be more than fine.

I also used all 1/4W resistors, with no issues.

The trimpot goes on a low-signal area, so that one should suffice, HOWEVER with a 25% tolerance, you may find that your trimpot is not exactly 0-100k, but as low as 0-75k.
Mine turned out to be 98k on a 10%, so I lucked out royally.

Basically, it's rated 0-100k +- 25k  That's a broad range.
Will it really matter? Depends on how picky you are, or how much you want it to be SPOT ON.

Offline thinman

« Reply #473 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, been waiting to hear something before I order. ;cheers;

Offline modfo

« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
Could you tell me what watt the 100uf you used on the .44 mini

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »
Caps are not rated in watts.
I used a 100uF, 10V, 0.3 ESR
Panasonic Low ESR: EEU-FR1A101B

Offline modfo

« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
Ok thank I was down at the 3rd floor mendelson building and they have every type of resisters . Caps fuses mosfets you can think of and was hoping too get it way I was there but got alot of stuff today just still waitmg on the power converters but got some board solder pins that just drop in the for you put your stuff in the board and all you have too do is just hit them up ooooya they had the tactile switches for on and off but not the momentary off/on but they are getting some in soon . I want too ask you about the mosfets but that's on your new build .

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »
I finally broke my main passthru 08100 mod which I use 100% either on 12v passthru or in an 7.4v 18650 mod.  It got soaked in e juice from a leak that went un-noticed until it stopped firing.   :wallbash:

Anyway I pulled out my old 4050 passthru it's been a long long long time since used and I'll be a sack of potatoes it's so smooth,  I cannot believe how smooth it is comparing to the 08100 at same wattages.  I am in love with this darn thing again unfortunately it wont hit 70 watts but at 40 watts its an amazing vape...

Just had to reiterate on what i already knew of the different pwm frequency smoothnesss..  This is a great mod pcb if vaping under 40 watts...  Man o man is that 08100 a bruiser, rough as nails lol...

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #478 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »
Hey Visus,
I still use my 4050 and 08100. They both satisfy my vaping needs. I don't vape high wattage.
I mostly use my beta test version of the DNA 200 and rarely go over 10 watts. Seems like a waste using 10W on a 200W device  :laughing2:

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #479 on: March 16, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Hey Visus,
I still use my 4050 and 08100. They both satisfy my vaping needs. I don't vape high wattage.
I mostly use my beta test version of the DNA 200 and rarely go over 10 watts. Seems like a waste using 10W on a 200W device  :laughing2:

:laughing2:

There's a video on youtube of two senior ladies both over 80yrs old  driving a brand new Ferrari.  They drive around go to the shops and even pick up a guy while out.

Break its still badarsery that you have the 190watts on tap...  ;bow;

Good news very good news.  I played around with my 08100 passthru it was intermittently firing so i thought maybe its the switch-- ohm'd out the switch no,  maybe its a bad ground at the 510 buss nope.  I checked Vin and 12.7v but as soon as i fired an atty it would stop firing..   So I was gonna replace the 08100 but it started firing after wiggling the Vin wires and wouldn't ya know it the Vin 12v supply wires were damaged internally and would make contact as long as no load..   I rewired Vin and all is well again..   I hate stranded wire lol....  I even have it in a grommet but still they brittle and break and give me the flux but man o man was the 08100 soaked with e juice..

This is the second time this has happened in 3 yrs of use but I switched and used extra heavy duty wires  and the exterior of the wires look great,  before switching I knew right away..   

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
Ha, Ha, yes I saw that video a couple of days ago.

Glad you have the 08100 up and running again  :thumbsup:

Offline poorboy

« Reply #481 on: June 23, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
Hi Dave! Its been a while since I've posted and checked your page. I have made some mods using this specs and chip, hidden somewhere in my storage box. LOL! Btw, I was wondering if we can twick the specs a lil bit to fire sub-ohm coils? Or is there another module or chip we can use like this booster baby?
Thanks dave!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #482 on: June 23, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
Hey poorboy, welcome back.
The .44 booster won't handle sub ohms.
Check out: OKL2-T20 20A 110W dc/dc converter
and the: Naos Raptor - 20A, 120W dc/dc converter

Offline faaramin

« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
web design
DC-DC converters create a lot of ripple and noise.  The capacitor is needed to keep the supply voltage stable for the pot.  Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "loesr", but now I see that's "low ESR". web hosting The best capacitor to use for that purpose is an MLCC cap.  Use a 1uF.  They are small, inexpensive, and have the lowest ESR of any general purpose capacitor.

The capacitor needs to be connected as close as possible to the pot leads, both power and ground which are pins 8 and 4 on the pot in your drawing.  You may or may not have a problem without one,domain registration but it's standard practice to add a .1 to 1uF cap at the power and ground pins for any chip that uses digital logic. 

Cell phone batteries are typically 1C.seo  They are probably the most hazardous batteries you could use to power an atomizer except maybe those 3.2V CR2 Li-Ions, those are horrible too.  They're not designed for the drain currents you would see with an atomizer.  I've seen lots of people talk about using cell phone batteries and even actually attempt it.hosting  If you use a flat LiPo cell, it should be at least 10C and must at least have short circuit protection.  Just use an IMR cell.  Those are the safest ones for our purposes.

Digital inputs from tactile switches typically need to be "debounced".  I don't know about that chip, it may have debouncing already built into the switch inputs, but that's normally something that needs to be considered.renoyadak  Switch contacts make a lot of noise when opening and closing that digital inputs mistake for multiple switch activations.  You usually have the option of debouncing in software or hardware with MCUs, but with that one, you can only hardware debounce.

You can try it as wired in the diagram, but if the pot jumps around on you, that's what's causing it.  Hardware debouncing is usually not a big deal, just a matter of two resistors and a capacitor, but since you are trying to minimize part count and it's already known to work without it, should be okay.  Just bringing up the issue of switch debouncing as a matter of practice.

The datasheet for the AD5228 calls for a 1uF to 10uF Electrolytic or Tantalum capacitor. The MLCC cap it a MultiLayer Ceramic Cap. Would that be a problem? ???
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:28:01 AM by faaramin »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2019, 02:35:32 PM »

The datasheet for the AD5228 calls for a 1uF to 10uF Electrolytic or Tantalum capacitor. The MLCC cap it a MultiLayer Ceramic Cap. Would that be a problem? ???

I would follow the manufacturers datasheet and go with an Electrolytic or Tantalum.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage

gfxgfx
gfx gfx