gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 19, 2024, 05:39:18 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage  (Read 502238 times)

Online FlameOut

Re: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
hi there, got most of the parts to  make this mod just wondered what voltages are the caps you have used cheers....love this mod...

You want to consider the maximum voltage the cap would be charged at and allow a margin of safety. A  10v or 12v cap would do. You can also go higher but the cap would physically be larger.

Offline energeticrain

« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
cheers for that.......

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
Are there any other PChan mosfets you guys would recommend?  I'm reading spec sheets, and it's making my head hurt trying to balance the one depicted vs the ones at http://www.onlinecomponents.com/

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #353 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
Are there any other PChan mosfets you guys would recommend?  I'm reading spec sheets, and it's making my head hurt trying to balance the one depicted vs the ones at http://www.onlinecomponents.com/

http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,616.0.html

http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,470.msg2357.html#msg2357

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:45:29 AM by Breaktru »

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
I think I'm reading this right, but please run a sanity check for me: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/si9434dy.aspx?p=12421764&Resource=1 .  It looks like the values are right based on all the info above.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
I think I'm reading this right, but please run a sanity check for me: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/si9434dy.aspx?p=12421764&Resource=1 .  It looks like the values are right based on all the info above.

The specs looks very similar to the FDS6576 that Craig recommended HERE:thumbsup:

The ON resistance RDS(on) is higher for your mosfet than the FDS6576.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:56:56 AM by Breaktru »

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
So that should equate to a lesser pull up resistor, right? I'm starting to feel like im too old to be learning this fast.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
So that should equate to a lesser pull up resistor, right? I'm starting to feel like im too old to be learning this fast.

Less Lossy
Lossy: causing appreciable loss or dissipation of energy

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Okay, ordered my stuff.  I'll have all the parts for several mods once it comes in.  I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use for the actual switch components, but I have a bit to think about it.

Offline mick8844

« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
Well, have read everthing on his thread andI feel like I have a good grasp of what to do. I have just one question that I need hel[ with. I would like to use one of those metal switches that have a led circle in them. someone called it a tron switch. I don't know where but I did see one somewhere but it was rates at 2 amps. If I canfind i again will it work and if not does anyone know where to find one.

Thanks Mick 8844

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
Well, have read everthing on his thread andI feel like I have a good grasp of what to do. I have just one question that I need hel[ with. I would like to use one of those metal switches that have a led circle in them. someone called it a tron switch. I don't know where but I did see one somewhere but it was rates at 2 amps. If I canfind i again will it work and if not does anyone know where to find one.

Thanks Mick 8844

Like this?

It's too large for a AA battery box. Comes in different colors. See --> HERE

Offline asnider123

« Reply #361 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
Really cool switch!!!!!  ;cheers;

Offline energeticrain

« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
Thanks breakthru followed  u guide works a treat.....my vv emergency booster box range 3.5v to 5.5 v

Offline methos

« Reply #363 on: August 30, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
Thanks breakthru followed  u guide works a treat.....my vv emergency booster box range 3.5v to 5.5 v

Nice work!!  Isn't it great to Vape with something yourself?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #364 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

Well done  ;cheers;
Looks good in that box. I think a have one or two of the same box somewhere. I stock pile stuff and forget where things are  :facepalm:

Offline methos

« Reply #365 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
I stock pile stuff and forget where things are  :facepalm:

Been there, Still do that.  LMAO :laughing2:

Offline gknowes

« Reply #366 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
I've uses that box before, looks great!!! if you trim the tabs down on the box, the cover slides on & off easier  :thumbsup:

Offline energeticrain

« Reply #367 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
Cheers im looking for a box to use for a booster vv using a 18650 next any ideas

Offline asnider123

« Reply #368 on: September 02, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I used the same emergency power supply (only in white), but I am "old school" so I used 2 batteries and an LM350 linear regulator. The adjustment screw is behind that little hole. The USB is still functional, did away with the light.

Shown here with an EVOD tank. Oldie but goodie, still works great. Like yours a lot better!!! Clean build. Is the toggle spring-loaded?

Forgive the crummy picture, never been any good with photos, but you get the idea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #369 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
I used the same emergency power supply (only in white), but I am "old school" so I used 2 batteries and an LM350 linear regulator. The adjustment screw is behind that little hole. The USB is still functional, did away with the light.

Shown here with an EVOD tank. Oldie but goodie, still works great. Like yours a lot better!!! Clean build. Is the toggle spring-loaded?

Forgive the crummy picture, never been any good with photos, but you get the idea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Alan  :wave: I remember that mod that you made back HERE. Nice to hear it's still working good  :thumbsup:

Online Avamil

« Reply #370 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »

Welcome back Alan. Great mod  :rockin smiley:

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #371 on: September 04, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Like this?

It's too large for a AA battery box. Comes in different colors. See --> HERE
That looks EXACTLY like the E-switch, but without the price tag.....nice find.

I've also found that the round tactile switches fit perfectly in the primer hole for a 45 ACP, so will most definitely be using that in a future mod.

Offline energeticrain

« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
nice box alan my switch is spring loaded if thats what u mean like the white box  might ave to get one of those but want to use a switching reg from texas instruments i have a couple  of these ready just have to wait for some more deliverys from good old china...........

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:09 AM »
Great job Breaktru!! this is an awesome mod. I want to thank you for all the hard work you put into designing your mods AND THEN taking the time to run this forum and share your inventions and your knowledge. (that goes to all the contributors of the forum as well) It takes a lot to make the mods but you go even further and help everyone else too. WAY TO GO!!!

This mod has all the features i wanted to incorporate when i found this forum. At that time i was just going to put a vamo board into a box but this seems like it will be much more satisfying. Ive read through this and a few of your other topics related to variable volt mods and I think I'm ready to order parts but before I do I wanted to double check a couple things. (normally I would just buy parts but I'm unemployed at the moment and trying not to spend too much on unneeded or wrong parts)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the ptn04050c sample from TI.  That's OK, Arrow has em for $12-$13 ea.
I also wasn't able to find the digital pot you referenced and was hoping i could get your guys expertise on this one
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5228.pdf
and double check to make sure my wiring of it is correct.

http://i.imgur.com/GL0Jj9e.jpg

I really don't like that its connected straight to the battery before the mosfet but according to the data sheet (pg 17) it needs to be or wont retain wiper setting  :no:

Also, do you think that 1 to 10uF loesr cap is absolutely necessary? Hate to have to cram another one of those in there.

Parts list
resistors - 270 series http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/351/XC-600046-204245.pdf
100uF caps - http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/88/SXR-9343.pdf
1uF caps - http://product.tdk.com/capacitor/leadmlcc/en/documents/leadmlcc_commercial_midvoltage_en.pdf
mosfet - recommended by you in another post so you're familiar
digital pot - http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5228.pdf

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:14:01 PM by bobaganoosh »

Offline methos

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
Looks like you have a well thought out mod going there Bob. I'm not the best person to comment on the schematic but it looks correct to me. That pot is a unknown to me.
As for the DS1809 I found then at Digi Key. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DS1809-100%2B/DS1809-100%2B-ND/1197191
Hope that helps

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
Looks like you have a well thought out mod going there Bob. I'm not the best person to comment on the schematic but it looks correct to me. That pot is a unknown to me.
As for the DS1809 I found then at Digi Key. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DS1809-100%2B/DS1809-100%2B-ND/1197191
Hope that helps

Breaktru thought it all out, i'm just gonna try to stuff it all in a box .
yep there it is,  thank you.  i think i skipped searching digikey because the ptn04050c was so much more expensive there and i didn't want to pay separate shipping fees.  or maybe i was searching for the wrong part number because mouser has that one too. 

EDIT : I was searching for the ds1869 which is 3v, the ds1809 is a 5v operating voltage

After I posted that i read through all the sample parts posts, so i think i'll be filling a few of those requests out today, maybe one of those suppliers will have digital pots.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:28:09 AM by bobaganoosh »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »
Great job Breaktru!! this is an awesome mod. I want to thank you for all the hard work you put into designing your mods AND THEN taking the time to run this forum and share your inventions and your knowledge. (that goes to all the contributors of the forum as well) It takes a lot to make the mods but you go even further and help everyone else too. WAY TO GO!!!

This mod has all the features i wanted to incorporate when i found this forum. At that time i was just going to put a vamo board into a box but this seems like it will be much more satisfying. Ive read through this and a few of your other topics related to variable volt mods and I think I'm ready to order parts but before I do I wanted to double check a couple things. (normally I would just buy parts but I'm unemployed at the moment and trying not to spend too much on unneeded or wrong parts)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the ptn04050c sample from TI.  That's OK, Arrow has em for $12-$13 ea.
I also wasn't able to find the digital pot you referenced and was hoping i could get your guys expertise on this one
and double check to make sure my wiring of it is correct.

I really don't like that its connected straight to the battery before the mosfet but according to the data sheet (pg 17) it needs to be or wont retain wiper setting  :no:

Also, do you think that 1 to 10uF loesr cap is absolutely necessary? Hate to have to cram another one of those in there.

Thanks boba. Glad to help.

Call Arrow before ordering. I have ordered 0450c's from them and was charged 14 bucks for shipping. Maybe my locale. Some users have paid only 5 bucks.

Yes to retain the wiper settings it must be powered all the time. Note: if you are removing the battery for charging, with the Pre pin 7 to gnd it will set the wiper to mid position when re-installing the battery. I do not see a problem with leaving the AD5228 powered as it only draws 1ma while idle. Or, you can use a built-in USB charger and not remove the battery.
The DS1869-100 that I used has a wiper memory but they are now obsolete. If you have a lot of money, you can get 5,000 of them from Digikey  :laughing: See --> HERE

I believe you can fore-go the 1 to 10uF caps. They are needed for filtering ripple of a power supply. We are using straight battery voltage so it should not be a concern.

I would like to suggest not using a 14500 battery. Much better results are had with a high drain 18500, 18490, 18650 or Li-Po 20C battery.

The parts list look good. I wouldn't recommend the tactile switches you linked to though.
1% resistors are great. You can use 1/8 watt. They are half as big as the 1/4 watt. You don't have to use metal. You can use carbon as well.
The mosfet source to gate resistor. 15k will most likely not work. It depends on your skin moisture and humidity. I have found that 100 meg ohm works for me. You can start at 10 meg ohm and work up as needed. You want the mosfet to completely turn on and completely shut off a volt meter on the Drain to Ground will let you know that. Also when testing use a coil/atty as a load when determining what size resistor works best.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:05:17 AM by Breaktru »

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
I have ordered 0450c's from them and was charged 14 bucks for shipping.
WOW. i will def. make sure that isn't the case.
I think I will work on a new e-mail address today and try TI again later.

I believe you can fore-go the 1 to 10uF caps. They are needed for filtering ripple of a power supply. We are using straight battery voltage so it should not be a concern.
Thats what I thought too but wanted to make sure, they are so big.

I would like to suggest not using a 14500 battery. Much better results are had with a high drain 18500, 18490, 18650 or Li-Po 20C battery.
My original idea was to use cell phone batteries. I have a couple Li-ion 1700mah that I planned on running in parallel. Then adding an internal charging circuit. I've searched everywhere to try to find data sheets on them to find a C rating to no avail. I don't imagine the 1 battery could handle it but I think 2 in parallel would make it and i could still fit the batteries and all the circuitry into a 3xAA box. My main intent is to keep it small. (i know...  why not series then the step down regulator? charging would be a pain in the ass, removing them or integrating a circuit to parallel them for charging to keep them balanced...   ehhh)

how do i find out the actual C rating of a certain battery without having the data sheet for it? Is there a simple bench test without pushing it to its limit and blowing up a spare one? they are protected so i guess i wouldn't have to blow one up.

i think VV mod with 3400mah in a 3xAA box w/recessed cartomizer would be awesome

The mosfet source to gate resistor. 15k will most likely not work. It depends on your skin moisture and humidity.
I'm not planning on using a touch sensor, just a tactile switch to save room.

why wouldn't you recommend those tactile switches?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:28:30 AM by bobaganoosh »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
how do i find out the actual C rating of a certain battery without having the data sheet for it? Is there a simple bench test without pushing it to its limit and blowing up a spare one? they are protected so i guess i wouldn't have to blow one up.

i think VV mod with 3400mah in a 3xAA box w/recessed cartomizer would be awesome
I'm not planning on using a touch sensor, just a tactile switch to save room.

why wouldn't you recommend those tactile switches?

A cell phone battery has a low C rating and will not handle the demand of an atty coil. I think it's like 2C.
To calculate the C rating you would need to know the battery internal resistance. See --> HERE

Okay then on the 15K with a tact. Tweaking will be required.

Tacts for up/down. Don't like the plunger. You need something that protrudes through the box like a standard tact. Looks like you would have to use a pointed object to poke thru the box to engage the tact.

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
A cell phone battery has a low C rating and will not handle the demand of an atty coil. I think it's like 2C.
To calculate the C rating you would need to know the battery internal resistance
2C is actually higher than i guessed. If they are 2C then ....   paralleled 1700mah = 3400mah     3.4Ah x 2C = 6.8Amps   Thats gotta be more than what a 14500 trustfire is putting out, no?

I wish I had one of those high end chargers to check IR

You need something that protrudes through the box like a standard tact.
I planned on using rubber buttons that i have from devices I have torn apart but I probably could find a low profile tactile that has a protruding actuator, probably be easier.

thanks again for the advice, helps a lot!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:05:59 AM by bobaganoosh »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
2C is actually higher than i guessed. If they are 2C then ....   paralleled 1700mah = 3400mah     3.4Ah x 2C = 6.8Amps   Thats gotta be more than what a 14500 trustfire is putting out, no?

thanks again for the advice, helps a lot!

The 2C was just a wild guess. Not sure what they really are.

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
The cell phone batteries were just an idea that I plan on doing some experimenting with.

I'm not a real heavy vaper. I've been vaping for about 3 yrs but until a little while ago I've been satisfied with an ego kit (600-900mah batts and standard cartomizers) The main reason I've stuck with those for so long is the price and the size. Never wanted to carry around a huge tube mod but now that a Vamo is only $24 I might get one just for home use.

I built my first NicoStik and have the modding bug now so I will definitely let ya'll know what I come up with

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
DC-DC converters create a lot of ripple and noise.  The capacitor is needed to keep the supply voltage stable for the pot.  Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "loesr", but now I see that's "low ESR".  The best capacitor to use for that purpose is an MLCC cap.  Use a 1uF.  They are small, inexpensive, and have the lowest ESR of any general purpose capacitor.

The capacitor needs to be connected as close as possible to the pot leads, both power and ground which are pins 8 and 4 on the pot in your drawing.  You may or may not have a problem without one, but it's standard practice to add a .1 to 1uF cap at the power and ground pins for any chip that uses digital logic. 

Cell phone batteries are typically 1C.  They are probably the most hazardous batteries you could use to power an atomizer except maybe those 3.2V CR2 Li-Ions, those are horrible too.  They're not designed for the drain currents you would see with an atomizer.  I've seen lots of people talk about using cell phone batteries and even actually attempt it.  If you use a flat LiPo cell, it should be at least 10C and must at least have short circuit protection.  Just use an IMR cell.  Those are the safest ones for our purposes.

Digital inputs from tactile switches typically need to be "debounced".  I don't know about that chip, it may have debouncing already built into the switch inputs, but that's normally something that needs to be considered.  Switch contacts make a lot of noise when opening and closing that digital inputs mistake for multiple switch activations.  You usually have the option of debouncing in software or hardware with MCUs, but with that one, you can only hardware debounce.

You can try it as wired in the diagram, but if the pot jumps around on you, that's what's causing it.  Hardware debouncing is usually not a big deal, just a matter of two resistors and a capacitor, but since you are trying to minimize part count and it's already known to work without it, should be okay.  Just bringing up the issue of switch debouncing as a matter of practice.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Thanks craig for the heads up on the filter. Since the datasheet mentioned filtering of a power supply, I assumed it was not needed.

The AD5228 does have a built in de-bounce circuit.

Offline methos

« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Ok I have my 4050 mocked up on the bench. I'm using the DS1809-100 with 2 tach switches. When I test fire it its at 3.8 volts on the meter. I tried to adjust the pot and nothing  :wallbash:
I followed the org post but used a tach switch to fire (that seems to be working)  all is good except the DP  here is the set up I used

Any help would be awesome. After 2 hours I'm Outta ideas  :(

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
Ok I have my 4050 mocked up on the bench. I'm using the DS1809-100 with 2 tach switches. When I test fire it its at 3.8 volts on the meter. I tried to adjust the pot and nothing  :wallbash:
I followed the org post but used a tach switch to fire (that seems to be working)  all is good except the DP  here is the set up I used

Any help would be awesome. After 2 hours I'm Outta ideas  :(

Here is a hint................
The DS1809 Operating Supply Voltage:    4.5 V to 5.5 V

Offline methos

« Reply #386 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
Ahhhh so it won't work with 3.7-4.2  Doh: is there any way with a cap to get it to work or should I try and find a different chip for a DP?

Offline methos

« Reply #387 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »
Ok. I think I found a work around for this ID10T move I made. LoL. I was looking for a small step up to get 5v from my 3.7 and I came across this http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2115
It looks like it will fit the bill and be small enough. Any feedback would be appreciated  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:13:14 PM by methos »

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #388 on: September 08, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
DC-DC converters create a lot of ripple and noise.  The capacitor is needed to keep the supply voltage stable for the pot.  Took me a while to figure out what you meant by "loesr", but now I see that's "low ESR".  The best capacitor to use for that purpose is an MLCC cap.  Use a 1uF.  They are small, inexpensive, and have the lowest ESR of any general purpose capacitor.

The capacitor needs to be connected as close as possible to the pot leads, both power and ground which are pins 8 and 4 on the pot in your drawing.  You may or may not have a problem without one, but it's standard practice to add a .1 to 1uF cap at the power and ground pins for any chip that uses digital logic. 

Cell phone batteries are typically 1C.  They are probably the most hazardous batteries you could use to power an atomizer except maybe those 3.2V CR2 Li-Ions, those are horrible too.  They're not designed for the drain currents you would see with an atomizer.  I've seen lots of people talk about using cell phone batteries and even actually attempt it.  If you use a flat LiPo cell, it should be at least 10C and must at least have short circuit protection.  Just use an IMR cell.  Those are the safest ones for our purposes.

Digital inputs from tactile switches typically need to be "debounced".  I don't know about that chip, it may have debouncing already built into the switch inputs, but that's normally something that needs to be considered.  Switch contacts make a lot of noise when opening and closing that digital inputs mistake for multiple switch activations.  You usually have the option of debouncing in software or hardware with MCUs, but with that one, you can only hardware debounce.

You can try it as wired in the diagram, but if the pot jumps around on you, that's what's causing it.  Hardware debouncing is usually not a big deal, just a matter of two resistors and a capacitor, but since you are trying to minimize part count and it's already known to work without it, should be okay.  Just bringing up the issue of switch debouncing as a matter of practice.

thanks for your input Craig, i changed my order and switched out the 1 cap i had for a smaller 1uf MLCC and switched out the 271 series 1/4w resistors for smaller 270 series 1/8w.
and like breaktru already posted that chip does have built in debounce

next thing i'll need to do is figure out a new enclosure plan, since i'll be going with a bigger battery.  :(    i've looked at so many different options and i'm not happy with any of them.

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #389 on: September 08, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Ok. I think I found a work around for this ID10T move I made. LoL. I was looking for a small step up to get 5v from my 3.7 and I came across this http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/211
It looks like it will fit the bill and be small enough. Any feedback would be appreciated  :thumbsup:

i think you link got cut off,  got a page not found error

i think instead of adding more circuitry ( keep it as simple as possible) your best bet would be to get a different digital pot that has 3v operating voltage.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:51:15 PM by bobaganoosh »

Offline methos

« Reply #390 on: September 08, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
i think you link got cut off,  got a page not found error

i think instead of adding more circuitry ( keep it as simple as possible) your best bet would be to get a different digital pot that has 3v operating voltage.

Your probably right there. I jumped the gun and ordered the 1809's .  I might have to order the one you are looking at. 

P.S.  I edited the link so it works now.

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »
Your probably right there. I jumped the gun and ordered the 1809's .  I might have to order the one you are looking at.

$1.07  @ mouser http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=AD5228BUJZ100-RL7virtualkey58430000virtualkey584-AD5228BUJZ100-R7

dont forget to get that 1uF MLCC capacitor to go with it

Offline methos

« Reply #392 on: September 08, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Ordered the new DP's and few other things I needed. I've got 1uf caps from older projects so good there. Thanks for the help guys. I really need to look before I leap on some stuff. LMAO

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »

Question:
The datasheet for the AD5228 calls for a 1uF to 10uF Electrolytic or Tantalum capacitor. The MLCC cap it a MultiLayer Ceramic Cap. Would that be a problem?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
Shouldn't be.  Usually it's only linear regulators that require the use of a tantalum since output stability depends on the high ESR of one.  For bypass or decoupling as required on the power supply for digital chips, MLCC caps do the best job there.

That may be an old part.  Inexpensive high value MLCC caps are a fairly a new innovation and probably were not around when that data sheet was written.  A single 1uF MLCC cap will do a better job of filtering power than the configuration shown in that data sheet.  I typically use a .1uF MLCC cap and sometimes a .47uF MLCC cap, but as noisy as a converter is, you'll want the higher value.

In terms of actual ESR values, a 1uF MLCC cap typically has about 20 mOhms ESR at 100kHz.  A 10uF electrolytic has about 100 mOhms and a 1uF tantalum has about 3 Ohms ESR.  The lower ESR is more significant in smoothing high frequency ripple than the higher capacitance.  However, higher capacitances are sometimes required if you need a tank capacitor to cover low frequency, high magnitude power irregularities.

Sounds weird but both ESR and capacitance value come into play when filtering power supplies.  if you input a 100kHz square wave on a RC circuit using a good circuit simulator that accounts for ESR, you'll see a lower ESR does a better job at higher frequencies even with lower values of capacitance.  High capacitance does a better job with with lower frequency and higher magnitude ripple.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
Thanks buddy. The info was great.

Offline methos

« Reply #396 on: September 19, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
I've been tring to solider up the AD5228 and this chip is just way to small!!!! Is there any other chips still in production that will work for a DP for us? Sorry to be a PITA but I'm hell bent that this mod will have a DP...lol

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
I've been tring to solider up the AD5228 and this chip is just way to small!!!! Is there any other chips still in production that will work for a DP for us? Sorry to be a PITA but I'm hell bent that this mod will have a DP...lol

Yes the the AD5228 is tiny. It's a TSOIC foot print. It is also a 32 step.
I searched long and hard for a replacement for the DS1869 and finally found an OnSemi PDIP-8 that looks like it will work.
Part number is CAT5113LI-00-G. Has 100 steps, supply current 100uA, 2.5v to 6v supply, PDIP-8 foot print and retains wiper memory.

Also a DS1804-100 is about the same except the supply current is 400uA

Offline bobaganoosh

« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Yes the the AD5228 is tiny. It's a TSOIC foot print. It is also a 32 step.
I searched long and hard for a replacement for the DS1869 and finally found an OnSemi PDIP-8 that looks like it will work.
Part number is CAT5113LI-00-G. Has 100 steps, supply current 100uA, 2.5v to 6v supply, PDIP-8 foot print and retains wiper memory.

Also a DS1804-100 is about the same except the supply current is 400uA

i looked at both of those and several like those. my concern with those was simple operation. appeared to me that you need a signal input via microprocessor instead of just simple tact switches. how do you get around that?

you don't think 100 steps to get from 3.5 - 6 volts is too many?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
i looked at both of those and several like those. my concern with those was simple operation. appeared to me that you need a signal input via microprocessor instead of just simple tact switches. how do you get around that?

you don't think 100 steps to get from 3.5 - 6 volts is too many?

The more steps the better. Ideally a 256 step would do. Finer voltage output tuning w/ more steps. You don't have to press the PB a hundred times. Just hold it depress to cycle through.
The pins and nomenclature are the same for the image DP in the attached......
Note: these DP's do not have a debounce circuit. It is added in the circuit below.....

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: .44 mini Booster Box Mod Variable Voltage

gfxgfx
gfx gfx