gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 19, 2024, 02:59:43 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Side x Side Copper Bullet - V.V. w/ Digital Pot & Touch Switch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Side x Side Copper Bullet - V.V. w/ Digital Pot & Touch Switch  (Read 92606 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Side x Side Copper Bullet - V.V. w/ Digital Pot & Touch Switch
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
Digital Potentiometer:

Note on Parallel resistor for pot wiper - The way I have the 18 ohm across the 10k D.P. wiper will effect the Linearity of the pot making fine adjustments impossible as voltage stepping are large jumps. It is very hard to adjust with a 1s6s DM because you have to wait for the pulsing display and a little more practical to adjust w/ a multi-meter. Several attempts maybe be needed to find your desired target voltage.
See graph image below.
To calculate your own values see: http://www.mindspring.com/~clist/PotGraph.html

Just found this but haven't tried it yet:
Tricking a pot to be Linear w/ parallel resistor see: http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html
and image below..

UPDATE: I have tried the tricking a pot method and it does not help make the pot Linear. Adjusting voltages through-out the voltage range jumps in leaps and is hard to adjust for accuracy.

Schematic visible to logged in members...........
Circuit sa ibaba makikita lamang sa mga naka-log sa mga miyembro
Circuito de abajo sólo son visibles para los miembros conectado
Schaltung unten nur sichtbar für eingeloggte Mitglieder auf
Circuitul de mai jos vizibile numai de catre autentificat pe membrii
Circuit ci-dessous uniquement visible pour les membres connectés
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:54:40 AM by Breaktru »

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
Thanks for the pointer to this breaktru.  Exactly what I was looking for....now just to play with the parallel resistor values to get what I want.  May mess with that "trick" to see about getting it more linear.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
Hey BT...have you ever tried messing with the parallel/linear pot "trick"?  Was just drawing it out and it doesn't seem like it would be possible (well, at least not with those exact numbers) here because you where you should be placing a 10 ohm for R2, there is already the limiting 220 ohm resistor in place, so you would essentially be running 230 in series on the R2 leg.

ETA - OK, I think I read that wrong...in this case you would want to run R2 to Rh (V+ in this instance), correct?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:31:43 PM by MidnighToker »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »

ETA - OK, I think I read that wrong...in this case you would want to run R2 to Rh (V+ in this instance), correct?

Haven't yet tried it but yes I believe the value of R2 should be between Rh to V+.
Remember, the values are in KiloOhms. So that would be 100 ohms for R1 and 100 ohms for R2.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Haven't yet tried it but yes I believe the value of R2 should be between Rh to V+.
Remember, the values are in KiloOhms. So that would be 100 ohms for R1 and 100 ohms for R2.
Thanks for catching that...I really need to learn to not look at any of my technical $#!+ after the kids have gotten me all pissed off.  :thumbsup:

Just waiting on parts from Digikey (don't feel like pissing my money away at RS...).  Thankfully I grabbed an assortments of resistors to stock up (including 100 ohms)  Will let you know how this works out.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
I dunno what my problem is, but I can not get anything out of the DS1869-10 on the breadboard.

With no power I get a reading of 8.7k from Rh to Rl.  Open circuit from either to Rw.  When I power it up, the meter shows a dead short from Rw to both Rh and Rl.  A few times I did get a reading  from Rw to Rl when pressing the DC adjust button (have tactiles on there right now) repeatedly, but went right back to a dead short when I pressed UC.  Never got any reading (dead short) from Rh to Rw.

Offline matt_jv

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi all i am currently trying to build my mod using the OKR-T/6 with DP but am strugling with how to wire the resistors for the linear pot trick if any one could
help id be very grateful

thanks all

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 06:57:03 PM »
Just came out of my work shop (garage) after trying the Linear pot trick.... It does NOT work as stated in the authors documentation. If you try it as described w/ a standard 10k trimmer pot w/ the two 100 ohm resistors, you'll get 110 - 200 ohms at the halfway point, then the resistance decrements from 200 - 110 ohms.

On the D.P. the best method is my original schematic shown w/ one 18 ohm resistor. I want to point out that this method has a negative effect on the linearity of the pot especially the higher resistance end (lower voltage scale). The DS1869 has 64 steps. More steps would help the linearity. 128 or 256 steps would make a smoother scale.

The OKR, 08100w and the 08060w require a 200 ohm pot. Substituting it for a 10k ohm pot has some drawbacks. It will work but not as good as a 200 ohm pot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:55:37 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline matt_jv

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
thank you for the feed back you have saved me ALOT of brain ache. i think I'm going to stick with the 200 ohm pot with the okr and keep with the 100k DP on the 4050c until someone comes out with a DP more suitable with push button control.

On a slightly different note do you think these mosfets would be OK for a tact switch

IRLU9343PbF

Vds 55v
Vgs 20V
Id 20A
Vgs(th) -1V

Once again thank you for your help its been a real help since vaping not only am i saving money feeling healthier i have also found my self with a new hobby  :thumbsup:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
thank you for the feed back you have saved me ALOT of brain ache. i think I'm going to stick with the 200 ohm pot with the okr and keep with the 100k DP on the 4050c until someone comes out with a DP more suitable with push button control.

On a slightly different note do you think these mosfets would be OK for a tact switch

IRLU9343PbF

Vds 55v
Vgs 20V
Id 20A
Vgs(th) -1V

Once again thank you for your help its been a real help since vaping not only am i saving money feeling healthier i have also found my self with a new hobby  :thumbsup:

Looks like that Mosfet will work.

Offline PoppaVic60

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
Breaktru:

Is that 2 diameters of tubing, or a pair of couplers and 4 tubes? (I can see 4 endcaps Jus' Fine ;-)

I'm trying to plan a trip to Home Depot ;-)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

As shown in the photos, we have....
4 End Caps
4 Tubing
2 Couplers

Offline PoppaVic60

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Thanks, Chief..

I couldn't tell if that was next-size-larger tube or couplers.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2013, 12:33:14 AM »
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but do you have to insulate the outside of the switch from the tube?  If you used two different contacts instead of one inside the other, would you insulate both?  I know they have to be insulated from each other, but from the body?  Excellent mod, by the way, but it's a long way off for me.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but do you have to insulate the outside of the switch from the tube?  If you used two different contacts instead of one inside the other, would you insulate both?  I know they have to be insulated from each other, but from the body?  Excellent mod, by the way, but it's a long way off for me.

Not a dumb question. If you look at the circuit in "Reply #50" you will see that the touch switch is triggered by the ground/negative. The tubing is ground/negative. So NO it should NOT be isolated. It is necessary to have the switch outer rim contact ground/negative and the center wired to the mosfet gate while maintaining isolation between center and outer portion of the contact points (the so-called switch).

Offline hilltopnumbah92

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
Hey how's it goin. Hey break thru i really do admire the great amount of quality craftsmanship that you display in the mods you create. Especially when I came across this side by side copper mod. This thing is rad. Its exactly what I'd like to build being that its not skinny long and lanky. But looks solid the way you put it together I think I would like to do a side to side piece like yours but without the circuitry and just do like a plunger style switch rather than the touch switch. I guess its Cuz all the eletronics kinda freaks me out me not being well versed in the circuit. But  I'm gonna take a stab at it and show you guys my progress. I guess I caught that bug.  Hey breakthru the thing that leaves me dumbfounded is the way you fit the two tubes together side by side. Are you using flux and solder? Or epoxy? Hardware nut and bolt?  Damn this thing is cool man. I really gotta know how you fit everything in such a tight spot and put it all together. Awesome . Peace and aloha from hawaii to everybody on this forum seems like the vibe on his forum is cool  compared to some of the others.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
Hey hilltop. Thanks, glad you like my work.

I used two brass .22 cal casings to connect the two top caps and the two bottom caps. They're hollow so I can route wiring through them. They are soldered to the caps.
If it's a mech mod w/ no circuitry you can use a cut down nut and bolt for the bottom cap being you won't need to connect any wiring. Mine were series batteries so I had to run a jumper wire thru it.
On the two top caps you can use a threaded nipple with a nut on each end and run a positive wire thru the nipple to the 510 connector.
The tubing will conduct your negative for the 510 outer base and the battery negative spring.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:26:33 PM by Breaktru »

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 12:46:16 AM »
Breaktru,

I'm getting ready to build this board for my 1st. mod. You diagram shows batteries in series. I'm planning 2x 19650 Panasonic NCR18650PF 3.6V 2900mAh. Question; can I wire them in parallel? would make usb charging easier.

Jasen

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »
Breaktru,

I'm getting ready to build this board for my 1st. mod. You diagram shows batteries in series. I'm planning 2x 19650 Panasonic NCR18650PF 3.6V 2900mAh. Question; can I wire them in parallel? would make usb charging easier.

Jasen

Series batteries for step down converters (such as this) which require an input between 4.5v - 14v. You would need to use a boost converter for parallel batteries and require and input source between 2.95v - 5.5v which is a different circuit not used in this Side x Side thread.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
I fallow ya  :)

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »
Breaktru,

I've determined a big atty switch isn't going to fit in my mod and I want a flush mount switch, so it looks like I'll be using a tact switch. Can I use the smaller IRLU9343PbF mosfet in place of the STP12PF06 and wire it off my NTE 500-0099-BU 200ohm pot the same as you have here in your digital pot schematic.

Picture isn't showing up. I'm referring to the bottom schematic in your post #50

Jasen

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
I think this P-Channel Power Mosfet IPD90P03P4-04 would be better suited as it has a Low Drain-source on-state resistance RDS(on) rating of only 4.5 mOhms
Gate threshold voltage VGS(th) is: Min -2.0, Typ -3.0 Max -4.0

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I see what your saying. I'm starting to glimpse into this stuff.

Thanx again

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »
Forgot to mention, being you are not using it as a touch and using a tact, you can use a 15K resistor rather than the 100M ohm

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
Now you tell me, after I got out my 20x magnifying glass and quad halogen lights to read the stripes  raged:  :laughing:

Thanx

Hey whats a good operating force for a tact switch

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
My earlier mods were 100g force but they became hard to get (out of stock). 300g is a bit stiff. The 200g are nice. Been using them in my latest mods.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
I'll second the 200g tactiles.  All tactiles lighten up a bit with wear and the 100s can get too light. 

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
Haven't found any 200's yet, but did see a lot of 160g's.

At least now I have a starting point.

Thanx

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:38 AM »
I think this P-Channel Power Mosfet IPD90P03P4-04 would be better suited as it has a Low Drain-source on-state resistance RDS(on) rating of only 4.5 mOhms
Gate threshold voltage VGS(th) is: Min -2.0, Typ -3.0 Max -4.0

Need to find an alternative for the IPD90P03P4-04 mosfet, digikey and mouser both have it listed on back order for a few months and haven't found any through chipfinder. I couldn't find anything within those specs and don't know how far I can stray. Any suggestions?

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
I think either of these FET's will do. Not sure what rise time is (power recovery?) but the second FET has a quicker rise time.

Vishay #SUP75P03-07-E3

Transistor Polarity:   P-Channel   
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage:   30 V   
Gate-Source Breakdown Voltage:   +/- 20 V   
Continuous Drain Current:   75 A   
Rds On:   7 mOhms   
Configuration:   Single   
Maximum Operating Temperature:   + 175 C   
Mounting Style:   Through Hole   
Package / Case:   TO-220-3   
Packaging:   Tube   
Brand:   Vishay / Siliconix   
Fall Time:   210 ns   
Minimum Operating Temperature:   - 55 C   
Power Dissipation:   187 W   
Product Category:   P-Channel MOSFETs   
Rise Time:   225 ns   
Factory Pack Quantity:   50   
Typical Turn-Off Delay Time:   150 ns

------------------------------------------------------------
Vishay #SUP75P05-08-E3

Transistor Polarity:   P-Channel   
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage:   30 V   
Gate-Source Breakdown Voltage:   +/- 20 V   
Continuous Drain Current:   75 A   
Rds On:   8 mOhms   
Configuration:   Single   
Maximum Operating Temperature:   + 175 C   
Mounting Style:   Through Hole   
Package / Case:   TO-220-3   
Packaging:   Tube   
Brand:   Vishay / Siliconix   
Fall Time:   175 ns   
Minimum Operating Temperature:   - 55 C   
Power Dissipation:   250 W   
Product Category:   P-Channel MOSFETs   
Rise Time:   140 ns   
Factory Pack Quantity:   50   
Typical Turn-Off Delay Time:   115 ns   

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
I like the Vishay FETS a lot, though it's getting harder to find through hole parts anymore.  At some point they're going to disappear altogether.

The specs like rise time and gate charge only become a consideration for high speed switching applications like for a power converter.  When using a part as an on/off switch or any other application that does not require high speed switching, you can ignore everything in the "dynamic" section of the specs.  That stuff indicates how fast the part can turn on and off.

If you're curious, rise time and fall time and just what they sound like, how long it takes for voltage to rise and fall when switching the transistor on and off.  These are very small amounts of time in the billionths of a second, but at higher frequencies they become considerable.  Specific conditions are defined for how these measurements are taken so in your application, you may or may not see those stated values, it's just to give you a quick idea.

Everything that has an "nC" dimension in the spec is a capacitance value in terms of charge.  Those come into play in driving the part on and off since it takes an amount of time and an amount of loading for current to overcome the capacitance at the junctions inside the transistor.  When driving a FET at high frequency, instantaneous peak currents on the gate can peak as high as an Amp or two.  Those peak currents are purely a function of the transistor's gate charge.  The capacitance values are what you use to determine the actual switching times in your specific application.

Offline Jasen

• Ultra Member
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
Craig, I'll never get a serious grip on this stuff, but I have been getting a better feeling for it from you, Break, Muma and some others here.

Thanx 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2014, 03:00:56 PM »
Well, you don't have to be an electrical engineer just to build a few mods.  I think it's always nice to have more understanding than required and I find it interesting anyway, always have.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Side x Side Copper Bullet - V.V. w/ Digital Pot & Touch Switch

gfxgfx
gfx gfx