gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:03:44 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fake Batteries - BEWARE!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fake Batteries - BEWARE!  (Read 51487 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Fake Batteries - BEWARE!
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »
Must see:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:13:49 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline yogi

Re: Fake Batteries - BEWARE!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:46 AM »
That my friend is an out-right crime.
They should be SHOT

Offline novoleen

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
Scary to think that these piece's of crap can get away with this.
I hope no one gets hurt from a battery exploding in someones face  :furious:

Offline Sweet-Vapors

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
I just received a few sets from thecustomsabershop.com and thought they might be knockoffs too, but they insisted they ordered them directly from trustfire. They are not engraved on the bottom, but they do have the PCB on them. These are the flame wrapped ones, I ordered the blues, but they upgraded them free.

The batteries work fine, I just noticed they were a little longer than another pair I have.

Just a FYI for you

Offline Bocephus

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Man anyone has any info on this fake battery epidemic going on? I originally thought it was only the higher mah Ultrafire 18650's but the more I read I am seeing people claiming fakes from trustfires as well as AW brand. The thing that scares me is a ton of vape shops seem to be selling these knock offs and probably don't know about it. Where do you guys get your batteries from?

I do like the trustfires 2400/3000 mah batts and would like to get more that I know are real and wouldn't mind trying a AW as well but im gun shy with all this fake battery stuff going on. This all started with me buying some cheap Ultrafire 3000mahs from ebay and realizing they were fake. On the ultrafires you can tell because there are typo's on the case and it wont take long to tell from the performance on them. If your using a standard 3.7v setup with a standard attty/ce2 you wont notice as bad but once you put on something that needs more umpf you realize pretty quick.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:04:58 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »
I got a couple of ?? dunno if they're "fake" really, but they're 14500 Trustfire Protected Flames.

I got them in a trade on the ECF, all were brand new and still wrapped, but I recognized the wrapping and price sticker as being from Deal Extreme.

Some of the outer wrapping got a couple of nicks on them from a tight squeeze into a battery box and I notice a blue wrapper below the fire wrapping....

So that means that they've definitely been double-wrapped. But I haven't removed the outer fire wrapping to actually SEE what's below....and I'm only guessing that they're Trustfire blue wrapper protected 14500's???

But it make one wonder why they've been double-wrapped, hmm?

Offline Bocephus

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
The blue doesn't mean they are fake. Lots of battery company's like trustfire and AW use batteries from like Panasonic or a couple other places and from what I have been reading DX seems to be about as legit as anywhere because a lot of flashlight hobbyists buy from there and they are even more crazy about battery performance than we are.

The reason the 18650's are being faked so much is because laptop batteries use 18650 batteries inside the packs so they take old laptop batteries and break the pack down and rewrap with a protection circuit and the brand name casing. One thing to look for on fake flamers and this should work on the 14500 is look for the hologram on the silver part of the wrapper.

New genuine flamers have silver hologram on the case and usually come in a 2 pack wrapped in clear plastic with a trustfire hologram sticker on it. If you have a 18650 AW IMR with aflat top then it is fake also because AW have said they do not make a flat top IMR 18650. The place selling the volcano tubes got sold a large batch of fake AW IMR 18650's that they have been selling and sending out with their VT's.

EDITED as I got the AW flat/button tops mixed on the fakes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:02:50 AM by Bocephus »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
Are you saying that these are fakes?

Look like button tops to me, man.

And may I ask where you actually speaking with an AW representative?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:03:14 AM by timesarerough »

Offline Bocephus

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
I wrote it backwards I am sorry. They do not make a flat top version of the 18650 just a flat top version of the black AW. Sorry for the confusion. The fake AW's were flat tops. As for the rep if you go to their website they themselves posted that AW actually contacted them regarding the battaries as I guess they got a flood of customers asking about it and they told volcano they did not make a flat top version.

It doesnt mean that the battery is bad but it is not a AW with the panasonic batteries. Sorry for any confusion I have a wicked cold so im kinda out of it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:05:30 AM by Bocephus »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:38:42 AM »
I think quality resellers get the cells from makers like Panasonic and Samsung with no wrapper on them, just the silver metal battery case with solder tabs.  Companies like AW put the shrink wrap on there after adding the contacts and protection PCB if required.  I would suspect any battery that has an extra layer of shrink wrap.  I think it shouldn't be there. 

These guys are buying batteries meant for recycling then using them to make counterfeits.  Some are factory rejects.  Those are the scary ones.  Not a good idea to put a Li-Ion in front of your face that didn't pass inspection at the factory.

It surprises me that someone would go to that much trouble to counterfeit something worth only a few dollars.  Leave it to the Chinese.  They're so lame.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
I wrote it backwards I am sorry. They do not make a flat top version of the 18650 just a flat top version of the black AW. Sorry for the confusion. The fake AW's were flat tops. As for the rep if you go to their website they themselves posted that AW actually contacted them regarding the battaries as I guess they got a flood of customers asking about it and they told volcano they did not make a flat top version.

It doesnt mean that the battery is bad but it is not a AW with the panasonic batteries. Sorry for any confusion I have a wicked cold so im kinda out of it.

Please provide a link to AW's website....

Offline theDom

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
Scary video  :thumbsdwn: . Hate to see someone stacking mismatched batteries....

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
I have these Ultrafire 3000mah that I bought from a Chinese site, Dino Direct (never again). Had them for about 1 year.
The batteries were a bit longer and could not fit in to either of my two chargers. Had to place them on an angle sticking up and just barely made contact for charging.
About 80% of the time the charger would not go green and I would have to pull them out of the charger while the red LED was still lit.
The other day I pulled the batts out and one of them burned my finger and started smoking causing a blister. I immediately threw them outside over night not wanting to burn my house down while I slept.
Anyway the next day I examined the one that had been smoking and found that the circuit protection band that goes from the positive to the protection board shorted through the tape that insulates it from the body. Good thing it didn't weld together or it would have exploded.

I peeled off the wrapper and found SF US18650GR printed on the case. I Googled it and it looks like Sony/Panasonic batts rated at 2200mah, not 3000mah. I'm thinking that the Chinese vendor soldered their own protection on to non protected batteries.

These are the ones I had:

Ultrafire 18650 3000mA exploded
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:08:41 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline yogi

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
I have seen that same battery number in laptop batteries. They usually have a green wrapper, unprotected and are 2200mah.
http://www.wholesaleec.com/custom/Batteries-Chargers-Accessories/SONY-SF-US18650GR-19294.htm
Thank God you didn't get severely burned or hurt like that guy in the photos on the forum link you posted..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:11:12 PM by yogi »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
I wonder if the cgr's are fake ? anyone ever peel a label off them or aw's? This really makes my blood boil. I just got two which will have to be disposed of

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 05:33:33 AM »
I wonder if the cgr's are fake ? anyone ever peel a label off them or aw's? This really makes my blood boil. I just got two which will have to be disposed of

Where did you buy the fakes and why do they have to be "disposed"?

Your comment isn't very clear.....

And you didn't specify which brand your bought, even though Panasonic makes both core cells.

Offline DRA

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
I got suckered in too with Dino Direct. Their enticing low prices and free shipping. Some orders take months to receive.
Cheap prices begets cheap products. You know what they say: "You get what you pay for"

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
Where did you buy the fakes and why do they have to be "disposed"?

Your comment isn't very clear.....

And you didn't specify which brand your bought, even though Panasonic makes both core cells.

I got mine on ebay in the USA one was DOA the other one had a chip in the plastic casing I take my bad batteries to BestBuy they have a recycle bin by the front door where you can get rid of them Brand Ultrafire red 3000 mah 18650's I will never buy those again

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Mine looked just like this: :thumbsdwn:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
I have these Ultrafire 3000mah that I bought from a Chinese site, Dino Direct (never again). Had them for about 1 year.
The batteries were a bit longer and could not fit in to either of my two chargers. Had to place them on an angle sticking up and just barely made contact for charging.
About 80% of the time the charger would not go green and I would have to pull them out of the charger while the red LED was still lit.
The other day I pulled the batts out and one of them burned my finger and started smoking causing a blister. I immediately threw them outside over night not wanting to burn my house down while I slept.
Anyway the next day I examined the one that had been smoking and found that the circuit protection band that goes from the positive to the protection board shorted through the tape that insulates it from the body. Good thing it didn't weld together or it would have exploded.

I peeled off the wrapper and found SF US18650GR printed on the case. I Googled it and it looks like Sony/Panasonic batts rated at 2200mah, not 3000mah. I'm thinking that the Chinese vendor soldered their own protection on to non protected batteries.

These are the ones I had:

Ultrafire 18650 3000mA exploded

Here are some photos with the wrapper off.
(click to enlarge)

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks Dave absolute junk that I will never buy again. Do love my new CGR's!

Offline kevlarsho11

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
I have those same batteries the ultrafire 18650 are you saying i should get rid of them?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
I have those same batteries the ultrafire 18650 are you saying i should get rid of them?

I've had them for about a year before one shorted. It probably was due to me pulling them in and out of the charger many times over. Where, the metal protection band eventually wore thru the insulation and into the metal casing causing the short.

I doubt the protection circuit labeled Ultrafire that is soldered on the battery bottom is actually functional. It should have tripped. I had to manually pull the band off the casing as quick as possible before it exploded.
If you do decide to use them I would use them with care. But........... If this happened inside the mod.... no need to tell you what would happen.

Also, the bogus claim of being 3000mah pisses me off when they are really 2000mah as per the markings under the wrapper.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
Also, the bogus claim of being 3000mah pisses me off when they are really 2000mah as per the markings under the wrapper.

The Chinese typically exaggerate specs, but they're usually not *that* far off.   My bet is they were counterfeits.

With Chinese batteries, you pay your nickel and take your chances.

The main consideration is that you did not get a hold of a counterfeit UltraFire battery.  They're out there.  If there's any doubt of the battery's authenticity, dispose of it.  Always buy Li-Ion batteries from a trusted vendor.

Another consideration is that any Li-Ion from any maker can have a manufacturing defect that can result in thermal runaway (that's just the scientific term for a battery failure resulting in fire).  A quality battery from a quality maker is less likely to have a manufacturing defect that can result in thermal runaway.  The Chinese batteries are generally fine, but you are running a higher risk since the quality control is not as good with them.  I don't know what the frequency of battery failure is in comparing quality cells to cheap Chinese cells, but I'm sure it's higher for the Chinese cells.  Even in the worst case, it may be rare enough to be a minor consideration.  Of course, if it happens to yourself, statistics don't really matter.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »
Chuck em and gett pannys or aw's ;cheers;

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
The Panasonics are pretty much the benchmark in quality and safety.  Not only do they have better quality control, but they build safety mechanisms into the cell internally.  Samsung cells are also high quality, but are not as widely available.  Some Chinese makers like AW will use the quality cells then add their own protection circuitry and branding, however, AW also sells the cheaper Chinese ones.  You have to be picky if you want the quality cells.  Look for the AW batteries that have "cell made in Japan" printed on them.

Offline kevlarsho11

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
 :thankyou: I had one of them completely shit out on me today. Pretty dissapointing only had them a week. Will be finding a new battery supplier. Any recommendations?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
:thankyou: I had one of them completely $#!+ out on me today. Pretty dissapointing only had them a week. Will be finding a new battery supplier. Any recommendations?

Sorry to hear that. What is the battery doing? is it reading NO voltage or what?

Offline midnightron

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
Hello and thanks for the heads up on those batteries. Question. You mentioned "Vape TV" are you saying there is a channel for us now? If so would you happen to know what channel?? Any help would be appreciated.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
If you talking about the guy in the video mentioning Vape TV, that's not me. That is Cozzi. It's not a TV show it's a youtube thing. Google it..

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline midnightron

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
If you talking about the guy in the video mentioning Vape TV, that's not me. That is Cozzi. It's not a TV show it's a youtube thing. Google it..

Thanks for the advice. I feel a little foolish for asking that. I knew it was to good to be true. lol scared:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
wanted to know how can i spot fake batteries?

That's a really good question.  Lots of rumors abound.  With the documented cases, they were fairly poor copies where they criminals didn't even bother to remove the original shrinkwrap before applying the fake one.  Honestly, a good counterfeit job could be pretty undetectable other than poor battery performance.  I really wish these makers would start using some kind of security branding.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
That's a really good question.  Lots of rumors abound.  With the documented cases, they were fairly poor copies where they criminals didn't even bother to remove the original shrinkwrap before applying the fake one.  Honestly, a good counterfeit job could be pretty undetectable other than poor battery performance.  I really wish these makers would start using some kind of security branding.

too bad,and good at the same time,bad its a rsik buy,good atleast its cheap...
not sure if they were torn off a battery pack or were bought in boxes...

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Fake Batteries - BEWARE!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx