gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:53:14 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: PTN04050CAD Fixed resistor questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PTN04050CAD Fixed resistor questions  (Read 7928 times)

Offline memnoch

PTN04050CAD Fixed resistor questions
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
So I've gone over the chart within the Ever Cool Variable Voltage mod using the 4050, went over the chart listed in the .44mm mod as well and was wondering if anyone w/ some experience futzing with the resistors could offer me some assistance.

I'd really like to get the widest voltage range possible, ideally if I had to pick, 3.5-3.7-ish being around the lowest, 7-ish being the desired upper end. I like the idea of the diode in place, though, it would seem from what people say, it isn't really required? No irregular voltage drop off without it?

So basically, does anyone know what resistor(s) should be used to accomplish this? Or should I go ahead and stick a rheostat in it's place and have 2 adjustments to make? This clearly isn't the most ideal setup. What are the range values if you simply bridge it with wire instead?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: PTN04050CAD Fixed resistor questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
If you use the 10k fixed resistor in series with the 100k pot as shown in my schematic between Pin 3 and ground (neg)
and you put a 10k fixed resistor in series with a slide On/Off switch between Pin 3 & 4 you should get these APPROXIMATE results of 3.7v to 7.1v:

With the pot zeroed and the slide switch OFF you SHOULD get around a little over 7 volts for the High end.
With the pot at max and the slide ON you SHOULD get somewhere around 3.7 volts

Warning do not short / put a switch alone between Pin 3 and Pin 4.

These figures are guess-timates and not an exact calculation.

Edit:
NO DIODE WAS CONSIDERED ABOVE
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:45:01 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline Pantera

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
Yes that would work for sure.
I would label the slide switch with the voltage range in both positions.

Offline tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
I've seen the same thread over at ECF.
Strange that no one there is jumping in with any info..
Looks like they are all busy over at the "PTN04050CAD Laser Toner Transfer PCB" thread.
And talking about how to setup voltage ranges for the first time, which breaktru already has laid out on the .44 mini booster thread. Don't they know how to read? Looks like they are discovering something new... NOT!   LOL

Offline memnoch

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
OK so, 10k resistor -> spdt switch, one lead goes to resistor with pin 3 on the other side, middle goes to pin 4, third goes nowhere, so in one position it connects the resistor, the other, is nothing?

That whole thing would also switch not just the 10k resistor, but the leads to the 100k pot in as well, which no matter what, is connected to the 10k higher up, but is only bridged with the switch in one position, am I understanding that correctly?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
OK so, 10k resistor -> spdt switch, one lead goes to resistor with pin 3 on the other side, middle goes to pin 4, third goes nowhere, so in one position it connects the resistor, the other, is nothing?

That whole thing would also switch not just the 10k resistor, but the leads to the 100k pot in as well, which no matter what, is connected to the 10k higher up, but is only bridged with the switch in one position, am I understanding that correctly?

Q: the other, is nothing? / only bridged with the switch in one position
A: yes / when switch is ON it's connecting the 10k, sw OFF it removes resistor.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: PTN04050CAD Fixed resistor questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx