gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:02:05 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  eJuice Calculator  |  Topic: Calculator not adding up???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Calculator not adding up???  (Read 16567 times)

Offline BaronRocco

Calculator not adding up???
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
I am having a problem with the e-juice calculator...or maybe I am not doing something correctly. (using most current version, updated today)
I used the calculator and measurements, as instructed, but have come up short.  Measurements are as follows (used the drip method):
5.67ml Nic-juice (vg)
7.93ml VG
1.36ml Flavor 1
1.36ml Flavor 2
0.68ml Flavor 3
*should* equal 17ml total...but looked as though it was lacking.  When finally measured with a graduated syringe, it totals up to only 12ml of actual liquid...
Am I not doing something right?

Thanks for the help!
Be Well,
Rocco

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Calculator not adding up???
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
I am having a problem with the e-juice calculator...or maybe I am not doing something correctly. (using most current version, updated today)
I used the calculator and measurements, as instructed, but have come up short.  Measurements are as follows (used the drip method):
5.67ml Nic-juice (vg)
7.93ml VG
1.36ml Flavor 1
1.36ml Flavor 2
0.68ml Flavor 3
*should* equal 17ml total...but looked as though it was lacking.  When finally measured with a graduated syringe, it totals up to only 12ml of actual liquid...
Am I not doing something right?

Thanks for the help!
Be Well,
Rocco

Yes Rocco, those amounts total to 17ml. But........... What are you putting into the calculator?
What is your PG/VG ratios for Nic and Final result? What PG/VG are you plugging into your Flavor ratio?
What's your starting Nic and what is your Target Nic?

Offline BaronRocco

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
Sorry, could not figure out how to post an image (new to the whole forum bit, lol)

Line by line from calculator:
Nic Strength e-juice:  pg-0% / vg 100% / 48mg
Target strength: 16mg
Amount to make: 17ml
W/V/PGA: 0%
Flv 1: PG 100% / vg 0 = 8%
Flv 2: PG 100% / vg 0 = 8%
Flv 3: PG 100% / vg 0 = 4%

In results:
nic juice: 5.67ml - 113 drops - 33.35%
PG: 20% - 0 - 0 - 0
VG: 80% - 7.93ml - 159 drops - 46.65%
W/V/PGA: 0-0-0
Flv1: 1.36ml - 27 dr - 8%
Flv2: 1.36ml - 27 dr - 8%
Flv3: 0.68ml - 14 dr - 4%

Be Well,
Rocco

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Okay let me see if I understand this, The calculations add up to 17ml and you measured the result amount in a graduated syringe and it measured 12ml. Correct?

The calculator came up with the correct amount but it sounds like you used a dropper to measure your liquids.
The dropper method is not recommended as I stated in a few posts.
See second from the last paragraph at: http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,130.0.html

The reason the dropper is not accurate is because each liquid will have a different consistency. VG drops are larger than a PG drop and different droppers give different drop size.
The drop box that shows "20" can be changed but remember if you use VG, PG and different droppers it still won't be accurate.
I always use a syringe. My preference is a 3ml syringe with a 12ga blunt tip for thick liquids such as VG and Nic that has a lot of VG and an 18/20ga blunt tip for PG based liquids.

Offline BaronRocco

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
That was it  :-[ ...I was doing it by drops.  I appreciate the help on this, thanks!

Be Well,
~Rocco

Offline dalelovelace

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »
There is a problem with the calculator when adding a Water/Vodka/PGA %. The Target PG + Target VG still must equate to 100%, which now isn't possible. Could you subtract the Water/Vodka/PGA % from the Target PG + Target VG total percentage? Currently you have to "fudge" the numbers to get the ratio you actually want. The software appears to subtract half the Water/Vodka/PGA % from each of Target PG and Target VG instead if just allowing you to enter the real percentages of each you would like.

EXAMPLE:

http://daleandkim.com/cinnamon-bubblegum-cheesecake.jpg

As you can see the Target PG % is 20%, however the % of total for VG is 15%, and there is no other VG added in any other ingredient. In order to make the % of total for VG equal 20% I have to bump the Target PG % to 25.

BTW this a very good recipe I've posted. Try it!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
There is a problem with the calculator when adding a Water/Vodka/PGA %. The Target PG + Target VG still must equate to 100%, which now isn't possible. Could you subtract the Water/Vodka/PGA % from the Target PG + Target VG total percentage? Currently you have to "fudge" the numbers to get the ratio you actually want. The software appears to subtract half the Water/Vodka/PGA % from each of Target PG and Target VG instead if just allowing you to enter the real percentages of each you would like.

EXAMPLE:

http://daleandkim.com/cinnamon-bubblegum-cheesecake.jpg

As you can see the Target PG % is 20%, however the % of total for VG is 15%, and there is no other VG added in any other ingredient. In order to make the % of total for VG equal 20% I have to bump the Target PG % to 25.

BTW this a very good recipe I've posted. Try it!

1) You are adding a total of 20% PG Flavoring to the mix so it is impossible to achieve a 100% VG target

2) Adding Water/Vodka/PGA will change the volume of the mix. The Water/Vodka/PGA needs to be accounted for so it is deducted equally from the PG and VG that you need to add.

Offline dalelovelace

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
As stated, I'm not looking for a 100% VG Target, with 10% Water/Vodka/PGA that would be impossible, however it is equally impossible to make VG + PG equal 100% when adding any percentage of anything that is not VG or PG. It just seems that making the VG + PG targets still equal 100%, even though that is now impossible, then indiscriminately subtracting an arbitrary percentage from the % of Total VP and PG is going to confuse a lot of (most) people. The best solution, as I see it, would be to subtract the % of Water/Vodka/PGA from the total of the VG + PG targets.

Example: I enter 10 % Water/Vodka/PGA, now the Target PG box changes to 90% and the Target VG box changes to 0%. Should I enter "20" into the Target VG box the Target PG box changes to 70%. 70% PG + 20% VG + 10% Water/Vodka/PGA = 100%.

It would also seem that the Flavor Zero PG/VG should work the same. If you add a flavor that contains neither PG nor VG, that amount of the mix should be removed from Target PG / Target VG, which can no longer equal 100%.

Offline Pantera

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »
I get your point Dale and I think it is a valid one but I like the calc as is. I think it would be more confusing for most users to not have the PG and VG target not equal 100%. Maybe a PRO user would benefit from what you are suggesting.

breatru: please do not change the calc

Online Mimms

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
breatru: please do not change the calc

I have been using the ejmu calc since v1.0.0.0 (8/8/10) 3yrs now.
Please don't change it. I would be totally confused if you did.
I also understand what Dale is saying but I'm a moron when it comes to math calculations.
Works great for me the way it is.
Thank you,
Mimms

Offline shirl

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
I also have been a long time user of eJuice Me up. I would too be lost if it was changed  freaked_out: I guess I'm a moron also  :laughing:
Add me to the voting list for NO CHANGE to the calc please

Offline eve413

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
I also have been a long time user of eJuice Me up. I would too be lost if it was changed  freaked_out: I guess I'm a moron also  :laughing:
Add me to the voting list for NO CHANGE to the calc please

Me too. Put me on the list Shirl

Offline d_walk

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:42:59 PM »
I vote to leave it be. I'm happy with it as is  :thumbsup:

Online cccsteel

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »
I vote to leave it be. I'm happy with it as is  :thumbsup:

I agree

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  eJuice Calculator  |  Topic: Calculator not adding up???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx