gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:07:56 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: ***FREE NEXTEL 312 & 440 CERAMIC SLEEVING IN 1/8" & 1/16"***
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ***FREE NEXTEL 312 & 440 CERAMIC SLEEVING IN 1/8" & 1/16"***  (Read 34364 times)

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
***FREE NEXTEL 312 & 440 CERAMIC SLEEVING IN 1/8" & 1/16"***
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
For those of you wanting to build a Hybrid/Genisis/Rebuildable atomizer and don't want to use stainless steel 400 mesh, the Nextel ceramic sleeving in the 312 & 440 grades have proven to be excellent replacements!!

Omega sells this material, but must be purchased in 10 foot rolls and can be quite costly!!:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_XC4_SLEEVING

I've located a CONFIRMED sample source:

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/materials/braided_sleevings.html

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/misc/sample.html

I just received a confirmation e-mail stating that 1 foot samples of 312 & 440 sleeving are being sent in 1/8" & 1/16" sizes.

If you want to request the same sizes, (when filling out a sample request form), leave the "Samples" field drop-downs as they are, check mark the "Fabrication Assistance" field box, check mark the electrical box in the "Market Segment" field and explain the criteria you're using it for along with the grade levels and sizes needed, as follows:

Looking for Nextel 312 & 440 1/8" & 1/16" sleeving. Will be used for propylene glycol wicking and Kanthal wire coil wrap inside of a personal vaporizer atomizer.

AND DON'T FORGET TO CLICK MY APPLAUSE BUTTON IF YOU LIKE FREE STUFF!!!   :thankyou:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:56:31 PM by timesarerough »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
Re: ***FREE NEXTEL 312 & 440 CERAMIC SLEEVING IN 1/8" & 1/16"***
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Confirmed source, got my samples today.

The 1/16" sleeve sizes are about a foot long which should allow for at least 3 wicks to made from each of the 312 (white) & 440 (pink) grades.

Gonna use the 1/8" sleeve samples for testing on a rebuilt CE2 and see if the flavor improves using the existing CE2 coil.

Should be interesting.....

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:05:45 AM »
OUTSTANDING!

Just rebuilt a CE2 and I can taste my juice!!

No more disgusting juice flavor or that gross silicone after taste!!

Loads of vapor and flavor, what a HUUUGE difference the 312 wick makes, this is just fantastic....you gotta try this stuff!!

Offline Str8v8ping

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
Awesome WHat do you put for company ?

Offline kd0afk

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
For those of you wanting to build a Hybrid/Genisis/Rebuildable atomizer and don't want to use stainless steel 400 mesh, the Nextel ceramic sleeving in the 312 & 440 grades have proven to be excellent replacements!!

Omega sells this material, but must be purchased in 10 foot rolls and can be quite costly!!:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_XC4_SLEEVING

I've located a CONFIRMED sample source:

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/materials/braided_sleevings.html

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/misc/sample.html

I just received a confirmation e-mail stating that 1 foot samples of 312 & 440 sleeving are being sent in 1/8" & 1/16" sizes.

If you want to request the same sizes, (when filling out a sample request form), leave the "Samples" field drop-downs as they are, check mark the "Fabrication Assistance" field box, check mark the electrical box in the "Market Segment" field and explain the criteria you're using it for along with the grade levels and sizes needed, as follows:

Looking for Nextel 312 & 440 1/8" & 1/16" sleeving. Will be used for propylene glycol wicking and Kanthal wire coil wrap inside of a personal vaporizer atomizer.

AND DON'T FORGET TO CLICK MY APPLAUSE BUTTON IF YOU LIKE FREE STUFF!!!   :thankyou:

They declined to send me my sample.  Here is the response I received:

"Thank you for your interest in 3M products.  The material you have requested is intended for industrial applications only. In addition, 3M does not recommend this material for food, cosmetic, medical, or pharmaceutical use. Based on our review of the application description that was included with your sample request, we must decline to provide you with the requested sample because your proposed application is not an industrial application.  Kind regards,"

These guys probably have an MSDS next to the drinking fountain alerting all to the danger of the Hydric Acid.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:53:38 AM by kd0afk »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »
I requested a sample of this stuff;

http://www.hilec.com/210C-heat-treated.htm

They sent me 5 feet of it in size 12 AWG which is 2mm ID.  Haven't tried it yet, but it has a melting point of 1400C.  Probably too low so it might have been a waste.

Probably not the wisest thing to be honest about the application.  Tell them it's for a consumer electrical device of some kind.  I think I said it was for insulating wires in a heater.

I requested a sample of the the Nextel stuff.  Told them it was wire insulation for a thermocouple.  See if it shows up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:04:06 PM by CraigHB »

Offline kd0afk

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
I just told them what was suggested by the thread starter. Perhaps they caught on to what an e-cigarette was. Anyone who got some of this to replace their ss mesh, if you want to recycle it my way I won't say no ;cheers;

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
Shortly after recreating my wick, I was doing some reading on the ECF about the potential dangers.

In the end, I decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

So please ignore my recommendation for using it as wick material in an atomizer.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »
I don't know about putting too much faith in claims made on ECF.  People like to get on sometimes unjustified bandwagons about stuff there.  I stopped going there myself.  Too much BS.

You should be able to look as the MSDS and determine if there's anything wrong with the Nextel material.  I can tell you with some certainty the silica wick commonly used in all atomizers is not stuff specifically made for atomizers.  It's just generic high silica yarn for high heat applications.  The same argument could probably be made there.

Offline kd0afk

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
They probably have worries about silicosis.

Offline beamrider

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
Apparently there are 2 kinds, the XC and the XS.  The XC must be kiln fired, and is not recommended for our uses.  The XS tho, is supposed to work pretty good.  See more here :  http://vapersforum.com/showpost.php?p=986120&postcount=54

And the entire thread is here:  http://vapersforum.com/showthread.php?t=40893

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
really cool...hopefully this one still works...just made a request... and made a copy paste on what was on the first post...hopefully they send me some love... :) thanks to this thou

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
Been using the stuff for some time now.  The 2mm or 3mm Ekowool works just as well.  It's a lot cheaper and easier to get.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
Been using the stuff for some time now.  The 2mm or 3mm Ekowool works just as well.  It's a lot cheaper and easier to get.

I've heard a lot of great things on ekowool and Nextel,so far both of them i can't find in local vape shops..

silica and ss mesh/rope are so far available here...
currently on cotton..
wish there was a site that i can order just a couple of feet and wont cost twice as much to have em shipped here in ph...

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Ekowool is a fairly new product.  The makers are based in Russia and have been making the stuff for general application a long time, but only recently vapers have found it a great silica product for building atomizer coils.  People are talking about another silica product called Bastos, but that one is a yarn, not a sleeve.  The Ekowool is unique in that it's a braided tube.  In any case, it's getting out there pretty fast so I'd be surprised if one of your local vendors does not stock it at some point.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
Ekowool is a fairly new product.  The makers are based in Russia and have been making the stuff for general application a long time, but only recently vapers have found it a great silica product for building atomizer coils.  People are talking about another silica product called Bastos, but that one is a yarn, not a sleeve.  The Ekowool is unique in that it's a braided tube.  In any case, it's getting out there pretty fast so I'd be surprised if one of your local vendors does not stock it at some point.

bastos silica is from my country,and believe me its not anything special...ive tried various wicks available here and certainly bastos wick and wire is no more than a regular 33-35 gauge wire...
its more of a placebo effect....
just found out that there is someone,carrying ekowool here and ive asked why there aren't many,he said well yeah youre the first to buy in the last 6months,,,,

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »
I figured as much, silica yarn is silica yarn.  I wasn't going to run out and get it.  The Ekowool is special though.  I'm surprised nobody is buying it there.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
I figured as much, silica yarn is silica yarn.  I wasn't going to run out and get it.  The Ekowool is special though.  I'm surprised nobody is buying it there.

that's what kinda gets me off here in ph,they market things in a weird way,like put crazy names on gauges of wire and wont tell you exactly what ga they are,to keep exclusivity I think...same goes for silica,and mods.here we have tons of mech mods overly priced if you ask me...

tell me is hard to find ekowool here and xc threads..
vapers here are afraid to try stuff out unless it was endorsed by a prominent vaper in the local vaping scene,

I think I am if not one of the few who uses cotton wicks,and wheneve they see my build it takes like a 30 minute explanation...
and still wouldn't try them out. well that's them...hopefully someday I get to try xc,ekowool not I am able use so far so cool,thanks for this thread.got a few feet,but I kinda bought them. now I love it...ekowool and cotton combo...the best... :)

Offline kd0afk

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
I ordered ecowool from lightning vapes off of Ebay. Should be here tomorrow. I don't really know what kind of improvement I'm supposed to notice, I don't notice any strange taste with any wicking I use but we'll see.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
What's nice about the Ekowool is it's braided rather than twisted like a yarn.  It makes for a thick wick with only a single strand.  It's much easier to work with than multiple strands of yarn.  It's stronger and doesn't fray as easily either.  Being hollow, it wicks juice faster as well. 

The 3mm Ekowool is a more coarse braid than the 2mm.  I would recommend the 2mm for something that that's a little tougher and stays together better, but the 3mm is good for a fatter wick.  I'd say try both and see which you like better.

You can set the braid by heating it prior to use with a propane torch.  That's what I do.  The stuff is pretty clean to start, but torching purifies it ultimately and sets the braid so it doesn't unravel when you cut it or handle it.  Wetting a cut piece with juice prior to handling helps keep it together and reduces fraying.

Since it's hollow, you can do a couple interesting things with it.  You can use it as a sleeving for an SS mesh wick in a Genesis atomizer or you can insert some mesh in there to give it breadth when using it in a dripper.  Bigger coils are better.  I've not yet tried a mesh core in a dripper, but it works wonderfully when sleeving a mesh wick in a Genesis tank.  Some people still prefer a bare metal wick, but I'm a big fan of silica so I prefer a sleeve.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:40:50 PM by CraigHB »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
What's nice about the Ekowool is it's braided rather than twisted like a yarn.  It makes for a thick wick with only a single strand.  It's much easier to work with than multiple strands of yarn.  It's stronger and doesn't fray as easily either.  Being hollow, it wicks juice faster as well. 

The 3mm Ekowool is a more coarse braid than the 2mm.  I would recommend the 2mm for something that that's a little tougher and stays together better, but the 3mm is good for a fatter wick.  I'd say try both and see which you like better.

You can set the braid by heating it prior to use with a propane torch.  That's what I do.  The stuff is pretty clean to start, but torching purifies it ultimately and sets the braid so it doesn't unravel when you cut it or handle it.  Wetting a cut piece with juice prior to handling helps keep it together and reduces fraying.

Since it's hollow, you can do a couple interesting things with it.  You can use it as a sleeving for an SS mesh wick in a Genesis atomizer or you can insert some mesh in there to give it breadth when using it in a dripper.  Bigger coils are better.  I've not yet tried a mesh core in a dripper, but it works wonderfully when sleeving a mesh wick in a Genesis tank.  Some people still prefer a bare metal wick, but I'm a big fan of silica so I prefer a sleeve.

in connection with this,having tried ekowool now ,I can now say well its a better vape,still like cotton thou,,,i practically sleeved it over a microcoil since the coil was 1.5mm in diameter slid the coil inside ekowool asnd it was great,vaped like a champ/...
was wondering if I can insert cotton inside the coil now...cotton inside ekowool outside....just wondering

Offline mad scientist

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
Hi there I am new here, I am looking to use the 312 sleve to replace the silica wick in my ego evod. I applied for the wick sample from 3m and told them it was for thermocouple protection. Would anyone know if this wick would be a good choice for this device? And would torching this sleeving for 4 to 5 minuites make it safe to use?

Thanks in advance/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:25:46 PM by mad scientist »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
I've been using it for some time to sleeve my genny wicks.  Just make sure you torch it good, until it glows a moderate red.  It has a plastic film from production you need to clean off.  You could probably use the burner of a gas stove if you don't have a propane torch handy. 

The 1/16" Nextel is almost identical to the 3mm Ekowool in terms of the braid.  You can hardly tell them apart.  However, the Nextel has heat tolerance a good amount higher than silica, about 300C higher.  Makes a difference.  Though the stuff is so expensive I don't know if it's worth using it over the 3mm Ekowool.  In any case, you can use Nextel anywhere you would use 3mm Ekowool.  The Ekowool is a lot cleaner and a lot cheaper.  You don't need to torch it like the Nextel.  Works pretty much the same in terms of vaping performance. 

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
Well, so much for the free Nextel wick....

Thank you for your interest in 3M products. The material you have requested is intended for industrial applications only.  In addition, 3M does not recommend this material for food, cosmetic, medical, or pharmaceutical use.  Based on our review of the application description that was included with your sample request, we cannot provide you with the requested sample because your proposed application is not an industrial application.

Hey, it was worth a shot.  I still have about 6' left from when I bought it months ago.

ETA - I just saw that kd0afk got the same response that I did.  This happens when they start getting multiple requests for a products out of the blue.  They can check the referring address and see that we have this thread posted.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:50:20 PM by MidnighToker »

Offline mad scientist

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »
I tried it too And got told the same thing. I think that any request for this wicking material from anything short of a verifiable industrial company will be denied.

Cats out of the bag wit this I think. :(

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
Same thing happened about a year ago with VG.  We were ordering multiple gallons each.  They finally caught on and stopped even bothering to reply.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
I don't know about putting too much faith in claims made on ECF.  People like to get on sometimes unjustified bandwagons about stuff there.
This ^^^^^

I usually wrap my wick in SS mesh right where the coil sits.  This prevents breakdown and my thought is that it acts like a filter to hopefully reduce any potential risk of fragmentation being inhaled.

Offline mad scientist

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Sounds like a goood idea for piece of mind. Would you have a pic of how it looks? And how well does it vape as compared to just the ceramic wick itself?

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Sounds like a goood idea for piece of mind. Would you have a pic of how it looks? And how well does it vape as compared to just the ceramic wick itself?
It vapes perfectly.  You don't even notice that the mesh is there...until you have to do a dry burn, and then it has MUCH less effect on the actual wick because of the mesh.

I will post a pic when I setup a new one....I'm sure that one of my RBA's is due for a replacement.

Offline mad scientist

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
ok. I am curious ot see what it looks like.

Offline Lee1111

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Oops, asked for a free sample before reading. Ah well. No harm, no foul. I still hit the likes button though

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: ***FREE NEXTEL 312 & 440 CERAMIC SLEEVING IN 1/8" & 1/16"***

gfxgfx
gfx gfx