gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:22:27 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Organic Flavoring
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Organic Flavoring  (Read 15572 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Organic Flavoring
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
I just started to look into suppliers that have Organic Flavoring.
I have found Natures Flavors and according to their statements, sound pretty good. http://www.naturesflavors.com/index.php/flavors-organic-flavors.html

Is their anyone who can offer their opinion about this site or any other that they may have tried?

Offline horton

Re: Organic Flavoring
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
I know this is not much help, but I'd swear I read a post on ECF (the other guys) regarding organic flavorings.  Of course, I can't find it now, but if I can, I'll post the link.  I do remember that the person was satisfied with whatever they had purchased from Nature'sFlavors.  I believe there was a question about how strong the flavorings were, but being elderly, I can't trust my memory like I used to. 
That site sure has quite a few offerings..... could spend a day looking around there....lol.    horton -- out

Here's one URL.....    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/239617-organic-all-natural-flavor-concentrates-where-can-i-find-em-thanks.html

I see you already found another thread on ECF as well, Breaktru, so I did not include that one....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:35:13 PM by horton »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
Thanks Horton for the info. I kind of gave up on Organics. I went to the site and started to fill up my cart. When I was done I looked at the total and almost had a heart attack. I then realized that I can't afford to spend that kind of money for flavorings. Back to the old flavorings for me. Sounded good though.

Update:
Breaking down the cost per ml, organic is actually cheaper but the smallest bottle is 2oz ($12) which is 59.1470592ml. And that comes out to 20 cents a ml or 2 bucks for a 10ml bottle.
It's the initial start up to buy all the flavoring you need that would be costly (at first).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:55:35 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline bamsbbq

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
a few of the members on ecf have gotten rid of all of their DIY flavorings and strictly use the Organics now...

me personally, even if they are cheaper, they are largely untested and not enough reviews for me to switch from my favorite flavors from other vendors.

alot of flavors from other vendors are also organic..all that simply means that there was supposedly no chemicals used in the process of packages them. But certified organic means there was absolutely no chemical used in the process of packages them.

extracted using alcohol would is an example...i do have some bourbon vanilla beans being extracted in PGA right now...actually i added pg and vg because i want to use it to vape with :)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_makes_something_organic#ixzz1hs0WUmL5

Offline horton

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »
I guess I'm not understanding the whole organic thing.  When I farmed, I was in the process of getting my land certified organic.  There was a whole routine you had to go through, but the biggest thing was not using petrochemical based fertilizers.  The land had to be petrochemical free for a certain number of years and there were other criteria I can no longer remember.  With my beef cattle, I could not use any type of growth enhancers.  You used to be able to buy ear tags that were impregnated with various chemicals to help the critters put on mass faster.  So, when I think of organic, I am thinking of the packaging and to the actual production of say the fruit or tobacco that was used to make that flavor.  Was it grown on an organic certified farm?  Maybe that is not an important point in this discussion, but I thought I'd throw it out anyhow. 
This may be off topic, but could someone bring me up to speed about "organic extraction" or "extracted flavorings"?  I've been seeing more mention of them, but I don't get what it means.  Maybe there are some articles I could be pointed toward to read up on the subject.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much.   horton -- out

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
This may be off topic, but could someone bring me up to speed about "organic extraction" or "extracted flavorings"?  I've been seeing more mention of them, but I don't get what it means.  Maybe there are some articles I could be pointed toward to read up on the subject.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much.   horton -- out

Not sure if this helps but it's from the Naturesflavors site:
"Why use a organic flavor concentrate instead of an extract? Nature's Flavors Organic Flavor Concentrates contain no alcohol, and are more heat stable than a Flavor Extract. This makes organic flavor concentrates better suited for high heat applications."

Anyway that's their claim.

Offline horton

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
Thanks, Breaktru.... it does make sense.  Think I'll head back to the Nature's Flavors site and do some more reading.  They had so many products, I was a little put off the first time I visited.  Sounds like there is also information that will be useful.  They sure have some high prices though!!!  I can see why you almost had a coronary.  I'm in your camp --- I'll stick with the flavorings I have currently.    horton -- out

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
Thanks, Breaktru.... it does make sense.  Think I'll head back to the Nature's Flavors site and do some more reading.  They had so many products, I was a little put off the first time I visited.  Sounds like there is also information that will be useful.  They sure have some high prices though!!!  I can see why you almost had a coronary.  I'm in your camp --- I'll stick with the flavorings I have currently.    horton -- out

Per ml it comes out much cheaper because they are 2oz (59.1470592ml) bottles but when first stocking up, it's a lot of money to lay out.

Offline horton

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
Your math makes sense.  I took a quick look at the site and a few products.  I was not paying attention to the size of the containers.   But, as you said, it is a big outlay upfront.  Maybe at some point after I do some more reading, I'll try one bottle to see if it is worth going in that direction. 
Wonder what kind of shelf life the organic flavorings have vs what we currently are using?  Are there any special considerations for storage?  As I mentioned, I need to do a lot of study before taking the plunge.
Thanks for your reply.    horton -- out 

Offline gladheart

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »
I've looked at Natures Flavors and another site, National Olive I believe is the name.

Musings:
Mountain Rose Herbs has organic herbs and essential oils.  Their information data sheets can be a helpful beginning resource.

It may be good to compare vanilla and some other ingredients. 

Herbs and essential oils seem to be workable with DIY.

Add what I can that is homemade.  Personally I use 1% of a homemade essential oil concentrate combination.

Use tobacco (Seedman) that I have ordered from Wizard Labs. This can be ordered directly from the source.  Don't remember and will  have to check it again.  It is listed in the e cigarette forum

Have looked to see what is used to obtain black cherry and peach flavor remembering that apricot oil used the kernel of the apricot seed.   

Have an extract macerating with black cherry seed.   

Just sort of playing with some ideas. Don't know much about e-liquids yet and hope to learn to utilize some things from herbalism and essential oil usage.

Sometimes total price of all the ingredients used including S/H roughs out around $3.00-$4.00 per ounce. 

Appreciation to you Breaktru!!!

Blessings.

Happy and healthy vaping.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:42:11 AM by gladheart »

Offline Ash

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
I've used a few of NF's concentrates.  Not sure what the latest is but I could not get a guarantee from the vendor I was using that they did not contain diacetyl. Given the fact that NF do a range of diacetyl free and the one I was particularly impressed with was not on that list, I gave up with them.

I was using Malt which is awesome but I am naturally (excuse pun) frightened to use it again.  I also found out that their concentrates need to be refridgerated. The mix I made turned into vinegar after about 2 months.

Just my experience ... things may have moved on since

Offline Boavaper

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
a few of the members on ecf have gotten rid of all of their DIY flavorings and strictly use the Organics now...

me personally, even if they are cheaper, they are largely untested and not enough reviews for me to switch from my favorite flavors from other vendors.

alot of flavors from other vendors are also organic..all that simply means that there was supposedly no chemicals used in the process of packages them. But certified organic means there was absolutely no chemical used in the process of packages them.

extracted using alcohol would is an example...i do have some bourbon vanilla beans being extracted in PGA right now...actually i added pg and vg because i want to use it to vape with :)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_makes_something_organic#ixzz1hs0WUmL5

Damn dude!! THAT sounds sexy...OMG, I could vape that for a week....what about Jack D.s' Honey??

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  DIY eJuice  |  Topic: Organic Flavoring

gfxgfx
gfx gfx