gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 03:45:43 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My First VV Mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My First VV Mod  (Read 13056 times)

Offline irco

My First VV Mod
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »
Thanks to all for the inspiration and information to try my first VV mod. See attached photos. It uses two 18650's in series with an 08100 connected as the schematics shown on this site by "breaktru" and using the components as specified. Works great. I tweaked the pot till I got to the ideal taste, vapour and TH point then I checked the voltage (No built in meter) found that my ideal voltage was 4 volts no matter if I used cartomizers or my 510T attys. N.B. this has a range from 3.24 to 5.6 volts with no load using my multimeter.

Alternatively two 18650's in parallel are still giving 3.99 volts after 20 hours use so the conclusion for me is that a standard mod, as shown, is my best option. I am not knocking VV as everyone has their own preferance so it's been a worthwhile excercise.

One problem I am having is that my push buttons seem to deteriorate very quickly and I have to press progressively harder to get them to work/fire up, what make/model does anybody suggest as the best. Size to fit in an AA box would be preffered.
Cheers

Ian.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: My First VV Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »
Good job irco. Looks good. My pleasure to help out.
What switch is giving you a problem?

I use C&K 3amp switches 8552MZQE2. It has a lighter g force (170g) than the 8551MZQE2 and is 0.050 shorter. If you bend the tabs down it will fit in an AA box.

Offline irco

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
Thanks again for the inspiration and the info. I've tried 2 types of switched so far, both unbranded from ebay, cheap and not so cheerful. I don't mind paying for quality items that will last. It is a problem finding good stuff that is suitable. I'll have a look at your recommendation.

Thanks again.
Ian

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
I bought those same switches as your Sw2 on eBay. 10 for $7.99. I bought them to take apart and use the threaded barrel and nut and not use it as a switch. Unfortunately the thread size was not what I wanted. They are cheaply made although the spec says they are 3 amp.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
C&K has those knurled dress nuts, D.

They also have chrome plated flat washer-types too, for the 8552MZQE2.

Got a handful sitting right next to me.

Offline irco

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi, I checked on the availability of these 8552MZQE2 in the UK, the only places I can find them have very expensive postage costs for small quantities. I investigated the SW1 in the picture and found that the solder tabs were loose in the body allowing the inside contacts to move about and down inside. Repositioning the tabs and adding a drop of super glue has transformed them. Now working perfectly - for now at least. Will keep looking for supplier of your recommendation.

:)

Offline cliffbtc

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
looks like it was a tight fit to get all that in there, wonder if there is a way to squeeze a voltage lcd in their too.

Offline tek

• Free lancing modder
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »
looks like it was a tight fit to get all that in there, wonder if there is a way to squeeze a voltage lcd in their too.

mamu and i have both done it, but for the amount of trouble it has caused me on this type of body, i wont be soon doing it again lol, i made a dual barrel, version, that used a horn switch, and a 1k 25 turn pot, and trying to get it all to fit with the two 3 amp regulators i was using was very very tricky..

Offline irco

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

Yes it can be done. Also I've found better switches on ebay

Offline cliffbtc

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
looking good, moneys a little tight right now, so most my time has been spent brain storming mod ideas. Can't wait till I have something to post of my own  :yes"

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
Hey irco looking good mate did you end up modifying the door on that case as i have the same one and they have a lip over the top when closed.. Also you might want to try breatru's 4050c mod in the same box with parallel batteries or fit a regulator and some resistors to limit only to 4-4.2v

Offline irco

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »
Hey irco looking good mate did you end up modifying the door on that case as i have the same one and they have a lip over the top when closed.. Also you might want to try breatru's 4050c mod in the same box with parallel batteries or fit a regulator and some resistors to limit only to 4-4.2v

Hi warlord, I take it you have a wee swatch over here from ukvapers as well. How are you doing with the 4050c's you received on 4th March? Didn't modify the box as you said, I tried to keep it as simple as possible and just get something that worked - and it did very well. The 08100's dont limit the current as much and are a bit more versatile or so I've read, its just that they need the batteries in series for the higher voltage input which a lot of people don't like.

Offline warlordxxx

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »
Fingers in all pies mate lol i've got an 8100w on the way so im going to give that a whirl as well when it gets here - i think i'll end up modding the doors slightly as the overhang annoys me - i've got plenty of boxes and thanks to you plenty of 4050 chips to start whcaking them in :)

Online wwwest

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
I wonder how irco is doing?

Offline irco

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Hi, Still alive and kicking but have given up with VV mods. Getting every thing I need from an unregulated 18650 with an LR Carto or cheap Chinese Genesis with the coil wound to the resistance I require. Keeps life a lot simpler - too much other s**t going on in my life at the moment to make any useful contributions or share experiences. But once things improve you never know. Main thing is I've kept clear of tobacco since June 2011, so many thanks to those whose advice has helped me since that time.

;cheers;

Online wwwest

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Good to see you back irco.
Sorry to here about what's going on in your life. Hope things turn out well for you.

As long as you're off the stinking sticks, that's what really matters. Whether it's a mechanical mod or VV or VW.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My First VV Mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx