gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 05:50:10 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Tact switch and mosfet transistor questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tact switch and mosfet transistor questions  (Read 300859 times)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Tact switch and mosfet transistor questions
« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
That's a super handy part, just used it in a non-ecig application to detect a low battery for a 2S powered device (two cells in series).  Works great and has a really wide detection range, you could use it to detect a low battery on 12S if you wanted, though it has a limit of 18V on the power supply.  You can use it on 1S as it has a detection threshold down to 400mV and a minimal supply voltage of 1.8V.

There's a typical application circuit in the part's data sheet you can reference on how to wire it.  Pretty simple really, just a voltage divider on the detection pin and a power supply.  You can select outputs of active low (low when below threshold voltage) or active high (high when below threshold voltage) which is another super handy thing about that part.  Those are open drain outputs so you need a pull-up resistor on them which works out perfect since you would likely be using the output to turn a MOSFET on and off.  Open drain means the output pin behaves like a switch.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:02:40 PM by CraigHB »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »
Just got an email that my boards are on the way! :)

Offline dc99

« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »
Ok Craig, Ive been working on a board. May get done by next century. Haha. Anyway, I put two SI7157DP on it so far. No way that should get exceeded. What value resister would you suggest?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2015, 01:56:47 AM »
Probably a 10k Ohm should do fine, just tie the gates together and use one pull-up on it.  That's a pretty good part, use it myself.  With a single cell or parallel cells that will get you down to 1 mOhm with the two in parallel.  So with a 5W tolerance for the part, you're looking at comfortably driving a load up to 50 Amps on each MOSFET for a total of 100 Amps.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2015, 02:28:56 AM »
Just got an email that my boards are on the way! :)

I've been really happy with the service from Osh Park.  I'm only a couple states away from where they ship (Oregon) so I usually get them within 3 mailing days of the email notice.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
I've been really happy with the service from Osh Park.  I'm only a couple states away from where they ship (Oregon) so I usually get them within 3 mailing days of the email notice.

That's awesome!  I need to get the mosfets ordered now. Look forward to building with the boards!

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
mofets,  fuses and resistors on order!  :rockin smiley:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Got the boards today and they look fantastic. The other stuff should be in on wednesday so next weekend is the plan.  :rockin smiley:  :thumbsup: :laughing2:

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
Good luck with the board fsors.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/64815/sir404dp.pdf

I wanted to try that mosfet, but mouser doesn't have them in stock. I found one similar enough:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/SIR800DP-T1-GE3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi0mX49X1Ojk8bkorZS29FXY%3d

For this first version of the board, the holes for 24 gauge were perfect. Holes for 16 gauge were alright, a little tight. The vias on the drain pad were too large, too many and were sucking up the solder. The exposed copper for the drain on the back of the board cold be covered with solder resist. I've made a revision to the pcb to address those slight issues https://oshpark.com/profiles/david4500
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:13:50 PM by david4500 »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
Good luck with the board fsors.

I wanted to try that mosfet, but mouser doesn't have them in stock. I found one similar enough:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/SIR800DP-T1-GE3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi0mX49X1Ojk8bkorZS29FXY%3d

For this first version of the board, the holes for 24 gauge were perfect. Holes for 16 gauge were alright, a little tight. The vias on the drain pad were too large, too many and were sucking up the solder. The exposed copper for the drain on the back of the board cold be covered with solder resist. I've made a revision to the pcb to address those slight issues https://oshpark.com/profiles/david4500

I assume you are referring to the boards in my possession now? How would I cover it?

Offline dc99

« Reply #310 on: March 14, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »
Another nice board David. Man, if you would have just did that one for the 7157 p-chn you would have saved me a couple of weeks and a bunch of headaches.

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
I assume you are referring to the boards in my possession now? How would I cover it?

Just pointing out somethings that could be refined & improved upon on the first version. Functionally they should be just fine. You'll be (hopefully) insulating the whole board fully anyways after soldering and connecting the wires. Heat shrink, epoxy, hot glue, whatever.

Another nice board David. Man, if you would have just did that one for the 7157 p-chn you would have saved me a couple of weeks and a bunch of headaches.

Thanks. Seems like the nfets and usually superior so I haven't even thought about messing with those really. I'd love to see your board. I'm sure your hard work really paid off.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:08:50 PM by david4500 »

Offline dc99

« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
In some cases I think it would just be easier to use the p-chn. Don't hold your breath, Im still learning all this and it will take a while. Knowing what you want and how to turn it into a board are totally different things. Mabye not to you guys and gals but to me learning the software and knowing what to put where and how to isn't easy. Its ok though. I will learn it and not bug you guys. 

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:33 AM »
In some cases I think it would just be easier to use the p-chn. Don't hold your breath, Im still learning all this and it will take a while. Knowing what you want and how to turn it into a board are totally different things. Mabye not to you guys and gals but to me learning the software and knowing what to put where and how to isn't easy. Its ok though. I will learn it and not bug you guys.

p channel is good when you are using the body of the mod as the neg part of the circ  :popcorn: :yes" :beer-toast:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:42 AM »
Just pointing out somethings that could be refined & improved upon on the first version. Functionally they should be just fine. You'll be (hopefully) insulating the whole board fully anyways after soldering and connecting the wires. Heat shrink, epoxy, hot glue, whatever.

Thanks. Seems like the nfets and usually superior so I haven't even thought about messing with those really. I'd love to see your board. I'm sure your hard work really paid off.

sweet will insulate as norm when there is a chance of shorts  :thankyou: :yes" ;cheers;

Offline dc99

« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
I found my diagram for this one: NCP300HSN30T1G, Does this one wire the same: TPS3700DDCR. As you may have noticed Im not an engineer and I know you guys get tired of answering dumb questions but I at least want to learn

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2015, 12:20:50 AM »
Glad this thread is still alive and kicking :D and so many great things have been updated in it.

fsors you old dog, how you doing?

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2015, 01:52:29 AM »
Hey David4500 I did order a few of your boards, my hope is they fit better and slimmer in this 3 x 18650 mod I made, the 3034's are tight with that voltmeter in there  :D

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2015, 03:21:06 AM »
Wow nice looking mod. I'd imagine they'll fit for you. Check out the dimensions listed on oshpark. I'm working on a dual mosfet board right now that will be even smaller.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:21:13 AM by david4500 »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Glad this thread is still alive and kicking :D and so many great things have been updated in it.

fsors you old dog, how you doing?

Yes the old dog is still kicking and I'm well too  :laughing2:  How are you dz? :wave: Nice looking triple ya got there. 

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:04:25 PM by david4500 »

Offline tj138waterboy

« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
Still learning a lot here and have already started my own mod from info here as well as ecf. I am very interested in the Para board but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the only features that are missing is a 200 ohm pot and a couple of fuses?

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
Yes the old dog is still kicking and I'm well too  :laughing2:  How are you dz? :wave: Nice looking triple ya got there.

Good man, not really doing anything these days, thank gawd.  I have been playing in CAD for sometime and the triple is one of my creations, I made it so that top plate can be switched out and you can do either mech like that, blank, DNA40 and OKR with a master on/off and pot,   things get a little tight under there with the depth of the volt meter.  Here are a few of my creations and always playing and putting more out  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xmods

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:15 PM »
Wow nice looking mod. I'd imagine they'll fit for you. Check out the dimensions listed on oshpark. I'm working on a dual mosfet board right now that will be even smaller.

I think they will work perfect under there. I did have one question, I see SW +- is that just a standard slide switch for off on?

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:35 PM »
Good man, not really doing anything these days, thank gawd.  I have been playing in CAD for sometime and the triple is one of my creations, I made it so that top plate can be switched out and you can do either mech like that, blank, DNA40 and OKR with a master on/off and pot,   things get a little tight under there with the depth of the volt meter.  Here are a few of my creations and always playing and putting more out  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xmods

Nice 3D Printing! I really need a 3D Box for a sx350 chip that I have. I want one that's the size
 of a GBox with a mount built in for the chip, an on off switch mounting bracket built in, a hole for the screen, holes for the 510 and switch mounting on top like in my mod posted above in this thread, the dual  18650 batt sled built in non removable, holes to drop in mags and no usb charge hole as I want the batteries to be removable. It would also be cool if I could have my logo on the box as well. :yes" Glad you are still creating as I love your work!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:59:28 PM by fsors »

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2015, 03:36:03 AM »
I think they will work perfect under there. I did have one question, I see SW +- is that just a standard slide switch for off on?

Correct.

I like to use these latching pushbuttons

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GPTS203211B/CW181-ND/3190590

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GPTS203212B/CW182-ND/3190592
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:55:48 AM by david4500 »

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »
Still learning a lot here and have already started my own mod from info here as well as ecf. I am very interested in the Para board but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the only features that are missing is a 200 ohm pot and a couple of fuses?

I have boards with fuses or you can add fuses externally.

If you'd like to add a pot, you'd need additional components to make a pwm circuit. I have a board for that also and there are several others on oshpark as well.

http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,1505.0.html

http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,1496.0.html

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Nice 3D Printing! I really need a 3D Box for a sx350 chip that I have. I want one that's the size
 of a GBox with a mount built in for the chip, an on off switch mounting bracket built in, a hole for the screen, holes for the 510 and switch mounting on top like in my mod posted above in this thread, the dual  18650 batt sled built in non removable, holes to drop in mags and no usb charge hole as I want the batteries to be removable. It would also be cool if I could have my logo on the box as well. :yes" Glad you are still creating as I love your work!  :thumbsup:

DZ....You still here buddy?  :wave:

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Indeed I am, daughter had surgery the other day so its been a lot of babying her lol

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »

I can try but the dang thing on the back of the chip (brain farting atm so cant remember what its called) is huge, I have seen some cut the silicone from the screen and lay the board flat on top of the battery sleds to make that work, sadly I think everything will be close to a b size :(

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
@david4500 what I am looking for in a board would be something I can go from parallel to series in and use say the SX mini chip that can be ran in series or parallel.  So the question is can your series to parallel board you have up do that or is it over kill?  So in other words just a switcher from one to the other but built for the job and not using these underrated rocker switches I see so many using .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:24:32 PM by Dznutz »

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
That board is an unregulated voltage mosfet mod that can be switched from parallel to series. It's wasn't meant to be a stand alone board just to switch the battery configuration. I followed a schematic which was posted on BoxModders facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/boxmodders/625920007520019/?comment_id=626301614148525&offset=250&total_comments=295)

When I posted the board on BoxModders (https://www.facebook.com/groups/boxmodders/permalink/681090085336344/) there was one guy who was highly skeptical of the circuit. You may want to read through the posts there.

Take a look at the schematic... You might be able to make the board work for your intent. Instead of a momentary push button (fire switch) you could wire in an on-off instead. Only switch the orientation of the batteries with that switch in the off position. Don't connect anything to the voltmeter pads. The 510+ connection on the board, you could connect that to positive battery wire on the sx board. The 510- connection, connect that to the negative battery connection on the board.

As stated on the Oshpark page, that board is currently untested. According to the creator of the schematic, he has breadboarded the circuit and it functioned. I have the pcb and parts ordered and will find out for myself soon. If everything looks like it checks out to you, give the board a try if you like. I can't say with any certainty that the board works for it's intended purpose, or for what you have in mind.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »
I can try but the dang thing on the back of the chip (brain farting atm so cant remember what its called) is huge, I have seen some cut the silicone from the screen and lay the board flat on top of the battery sleds to make that work, sadly I think everything will be close to a b size :(

Oh Bummer :(  I think the part you are thinking of that is big is the Inductor.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #333 on: March 18, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
The good news is my other parts to go on the boards came in!  :thumbsup: :yes" :thumbsup:

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2015, 11:22:54 PM »
There you go fsors :D thats what its called lol

david4500 I do have the board on order already, the question now is, if left in the on position will it drain battery even if not in use.  Nonetheless I will test both mech and SX functions when all parts arrive :D

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
There will be some idle drain but it should be minimal.

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
The triple fet board with no fuses

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:27:16 PM by david4500 »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
Congrats David  :rockin smiley: Nice work

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
Awesome Work David!!!  :thumbsup: In my favorite GBox Too!  :thumbsup:

;cheers;

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2015, 03:10:13 AM »
Loooks good David  freaked_out:

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
David,  Where do you get the positive/negative stickers? They look cool and I would like to get some.  :thankyou:

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,1344.msg16503.html#msg16503

Wow Thanks So Much David You Rock! What do you print them on? Paper? Stickers? Card Stock?

:thankyou: :yes" :thankyou:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
The battery labels are great David. I've used them when you first posted them back in August 2014  :thumbsup:

I print mine on the portion of my DVD labels I don't use as shown on the attached............
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:33:37 PM by Breaktru »

Offline david4500

• Ultra Member
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »
Nice! Glad people are using them.

Sucks when I see shitty mods on facebook or ebay with them... or vape shops selling the stickers for $5... oh well.

I took the files for the 4x6 prints and had them printed online on walmart's site. When I did it, they had a deal for your first prints. On matte photo paper, I think I got 50 for $2. I just cut them out and use a bit of epoxy. Stickers would be nice but likely more expensive.

Here's an 8.5 x 11 print also: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qvkynzd8b7of0/keystone%20labels%208.5%20x%2011%20print.png?dl=0

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »
Nice! Glad people are using them.

Sucks when I see shitty mods on facebook or ebay with them... or vape shops selling the stickers for $5... oh well.

I took the files for the 4x6 prints and had them printed online on walmart's site. When I did it, they had a deal for your first prints. On matte photo paper, I think I got 50 for $2. I just cut them out and use a bit of epoxy. Stickers would be nice but likely more expensive.

Here's an 8.5 x 11 print also: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qvkynzd8b7of0/keystone%20labels%208.5%20x%2011%20print.png?dl=0

Awesome David I am going to try that. Love the look!  :thumbsup: :thankyou: :thumbsup:

Offline Emex

« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2015, 06:01:46 AM »
New member here.... I love this thread.

I'm so inspired by these projects!

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
New member here.... I love this thread.

I'm so inspired by these projects!

Welcome aboard :-)

Offline Emex

« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2015, 06:11:23 AM »
For the nfet, the rds on is too high. You'll want around 2 milliohms. Vgs th is also slightly high, 4.5v. You want it to be less than 2.5-3v. If for any the smd pcbs, of the packages shown in the data sheet they are all too large.

I think Craig has posted some well suited pfets in the past if you look through his posts.

Got the quad board today:

When soldering the drain tabs on the back, I didn't realize the solder was flowing though the vias to the other side.

Those look awesome.

Can you give me a little more insight into the charge pump used (ADM660ARZ) on the "GD" tri/quad boards when compared to the TriParaMos 1.1?

Looks like both designs use the same mosfet (PSMN1R1-25YLC,115)...

Does the charge pump essentially lower the resistance though the mosfet, what's the idea behind the boards with and without it? (just trying to understand the design side)

Just curious but how much current have you tried passing through those things?  Does the PCB generate any current limitations when compared to a TO-220 package size mosfet?

I was going to start my first project using the TO-220 sized package but I might abandon that all together since the PCB based stuff has really peaked my interest.  You have so many boards and very interesting designs... not sure which ones I want to start with and play / test, but I am thinking the fused TriParaMos 1.1 is a good way to start.  I don't do much surface mount work, mostly though hole stuff with my Arduino... should be interesting / challenging.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Tact switch and mosfet transistor questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx