gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 16, 2024, 07:32:18 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: my DNA'd mini
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: my DNA'd mini  (Read 8719 times)

Offline silverslayer

my DNA'd mini
« on: July 21, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
It's nuttin special but I had to try to get some of my money back out of that dna.... Originally I had it pinned up in a altoids box but the ic17670 i had was cutting it. So now I put this thing together with the high drain 14500 to see if it would work any better. Well it works. Does it work better not really.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: my DNA'd mini
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
Looks nice.

You're probably getting too much cell impedance even with the IMR 14500.  That's the trouble with boosters, they're real finnicky about the power supply.  With that rig, you'll want to keep your load above 2.5 Ohms.  Make sure the connection is solid as possible to the battery.

That's what's really nice about the 20C LiPos when using them with boosters, they have exceptionally low cell impedance.

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »
Looks nice.

You're probably getting too much cell impedance even with the IMR 14500.  That's the trouble with boosters, they're real finnicky about the power supply.  With that rig, you'll want to keep your load above 2.5 Ohms.  Make sure the connection is solid as possible to the battery.

That's what's really nice about the 20C LiPos when using them with boosters, they have exceptionally low cell impedance.

Thanks for the tip Craig. Where do you guys get those Lipos? Are they phone or Rc batteries? Never mind I'm being lazy I should just get off my but and look. I've sure it's been said before. I'll give those a shot on my next mod. Thanks.

Offline Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
Very nice indeed. Congrads  :rockin smiley:

Surprised to see the DNA fitting in a 2xAA box.
That DNA needs a lot of battery to handle it.
Also the battery contacts in a 2xAA box are pretty cheesy. A good source to voltage loss. Another thing is the on/off switch that comes with the box has internal resistance. You can see that by measuring the voltage on both sides of the switch. I replace mine with a 3A one. You can find a miniature w/ the same physical size.
Heavy short wires help as well.

Thanks for posting your photos.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
I get them from the hobby RC shops.  Hobby King has amazing prices on them.  Look at the 1S cells from Turnigy.  The quality seems good and they seem to hold up well.  However, they do ship from China so it takes a week or two to get them.

You can also try the larger IMR cells.  They have much lower cell impedance, but not nearly as low as the 20C LiPos.

I've also played around with some 5C LiPos and the cell impedance on those is not nearly as low as the 20C LiPos.  The 5C LiPos are probably similar to the IMR cells.  They're hard to find though.  The ones I tried were some factory samples I was able to get a hold of.

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean by cell impedance, but in effect, it just means how much the voltage drops when you load them.  For most electronics, cell impedance is not an issue, but at the higher currents we use for an e-cig mod, it becomes significant.   The RC guys really load the crap out of them and will take the 60C ones to their maximum current output routinely, especially for the stunt planes.  That's a lot of power, as much as 1000 Watts.  That's well over a full horsepower!

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Very nice indeed. Congrads  :rockin smiley:

Surprised to see the DNA fitting in a 2xAA box.
That DNA needs a lot of battery to handle it.
Also the battery contacts in a 2xAA box are pretty cheesy. A good source to voltage loss. Another thing is the on/off switch that comes with the box has internal resistance. You can see that by measuring the voltage on both sides of the switch. I replace mine with a 3A one. You can find a miniature w/ the same physical size.
Heavy short wires help as well.

Thanks for posting your photos.

You're right about the contacts. They are cheesy I should have done something else there. My box doesn't have an on off switch just the momentary I installed. I would have liked to have had an on/off but there isn't a lot of room left and I didn't have one on hand. Thanks for the suggestions I will remember them on my next build.

Offline silverslayer

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
I get them from the hobby RC shops.  Hobby King has amazing prices on them.  Look at the 1S cells from Turnigy.  The quality seems good and they seem to hold up well.  However, they do ship from China so it takes a week or two to get them.

You can also try the larger IMR cells.  They have much lower cell impedance, but not nearly as low as the 20C LiPos.

I've also played around with some 5C LiPos and the cell impedance on those is not nearly as low as the 20C LiPos.  The 5C LiPos are probably similar to the IMR cells.  They're hard to find though.  The ones I tried were some factory samples I was able to get a hold of.

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean by cell impedance, but in effect, it just means how much the voltage drops when you load them.  For most electronics, cell impedance is not an issue, but at the higher currents we use for an e-cig mod, it becomes significant.   The RC guys really load the crap out of them and will take the 60C ones to their maximum current output routinely, especially for the stunt planes.  That's a lot of power, as much as 1000 Watts.  That's well over a full horsepower!

Ugh :wallbash: After I just spent 40.00 on aw imrs. Those things are like three bucks a piece. LOL. I have a charger too for the 450 hobby king helli I bought and never finished. Man some one please just kick me.... :laughing2: Well I'm sure the wife will take care of that (the kickin' part).   

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: my DNA'd mini

gfxgfx
gfx gfx