gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 12:17:44 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My plan for mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My plan for mod  (Read 16312 times)

Offline TubeWatts

My plan for mod
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
Here is what im thinking about doing.
Hope someone will chime in about my circuit. I have not much experience but it looked like it would work to me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1 18650
LCD
Arduino Mini Pro
Current Sensor for volts ohms watts current measuement
mosfet switch

BTW this will be the first time ever touching micro electronics. So im hoping for the best. My next plan is going to be a VV, with the Digital Pot controlled by the Arduino.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: My plan for mod
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
Without confirming your inputs and outputs for your Arduino board, I would like to point out a couple of basic circuit things I noticed:
Your amp sensor IP+ and IP- needs to be in series with the load and voltage source. The IP terminals do not provide a voltage source.

The battery type won't provide a good source for using an Atty.
If that is a typical 16x2 LCD, I don't see a connection for Contrast on Pin 3 of the LCD (necessary).
The ACS712 is a 5v sensor so I assume your Mini Pro is 5v as well as the LCD.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:03:25 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
I didn't evaluate your circuit, but one thing you might want to consider is that solderless breadboards have a lot of parasitic impedance.  In fact, all breadboards do.  Basically, it just means they introduce a lot of noise.  Breadboards are worthless for high frequency stuff, but fortunately, you're not doing anything high frequency.  It may or may not be an issue, but it's something to consider.  They're fine for a lot of stuff, but you'll want to work out your code once you have a final hardware implementation.  Otherwise, you could end up pulling your hair out over bugs introduced by the breadboard.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
I didn't evaluate your circuit, but one thing you might want to consider is that solderless breadboards have a lot of parasitic impedance.  In fact, all breadboards do.  Basically, it just means they introduce a lot of noise.  Breadboards are worthless for high frequency stuff, but fortunately, you're not doing anything high frequency.  It may or may not be an issue, but it's something to consider.  They're fine for a lot of stuff, but you'll want to work out your code once you have a final hardware implementation.  Otherwise, you could end up pulling your hair out over bugs introduced by the breadboard.

How true Craig. Hair pulling indeed with breadboarding.
With the few MCU mods I made, I have always had to re-tweak the code after hard wiring. After the first one, you kind of know what to expect.

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
I was not planning on using a breadboard with any of the hardware. I just used the breadboard because i cant figure out how to fun wires between components in fritzing. After breaktru's comment i have decided to do a 7.4/5v system w/2 cr123a's. It just seems easier to do a 5v system. So many components are 5v.

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »
Alright well i modified it a little bit. I changed to a 5v system. Fixed MOSFET and Amp sensor. Does is matter if the MOSFET is on positive or negative side power?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
A decade ago, finding a chip with a supply other than 5V would be difficult.  However, that's changing, mainly due to the demand for micro-power devices.  More components are 3.3V now and at this point, it's probably more dominant.  In another decade, finding a chip that uses a 5V supply will be like finding thru-hole components now, pretty limited.  I run my MCU at 3V.  If I was building a dual battery mod, I would probably run the MCU at 3.3V since 5V ones are already getting scarce.

Not that it matters if you have already the 5V stuff available, just sayin.

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
No i havent gotten anything yet im still trying to figure out what to get. I'm getting most of my stuff from SF so thats why i was saying the ACS712 because thats what they have.  What is a good 3.3v sensor chip?

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »
I'm thinking this will work. Allegro ACS758LCB-050U-PFF-T. Its the only 3.3v i could find on digikey

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
I'm thinking this will work. Allegro ACS758LCB-050U-PFF-T. Its the only 3.3v i could find on digikey

Use this one: ACS711ELCTR-12AB-T

Also:
Your Atty is in parallel, needs to be in series w/ the amp sensor
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:40:05 AM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
Switches used for MCU inputs have to be "debounced".  Attached is what a hardware debounced tactile input looks like.  You can debounce in software, but I find it better to debounce in hardware.  It also affords some ESD protection (from static electricity).  I find it more than worth the extra components.

The power supply for the digital logic on your LCD should have a.1uF decoupling capacitor.  That simply means a capacitor connected from the supply pin to ground as close as possible.  All devices that use digital logic should have decoupling capacitors on their supply pins.  Sometimes analog ones too if they are supplying AD inputs like your current sensor.  They're probably already present for the MCU on your Arduino board.

It's best to post proper schematics to get help for your circuit.  You should also be using a proper schematic when designing your circuit.  Anything else is too hard to read.  For things like your Arduino board and LCD, you can represent them as simple blocks with the pins labeled.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:20:23 PM by CraigHB »

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
Oh jeez... ok i think i finally got this.  Im sorry about alll the dumb mistakes. Trying to take all this in.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/arduinopv103schem.png/

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Sorry TW but the atty is still not in series w/ the Amp Sensor. Do not put IP- to ground. Put IP- to Mosfet (+) output and IP+ to the atty center post.

Also, I would put the 3.7v battery (+) to RAW and feed your devices off of the mini Pro VCC pin which will provide a regulated 3.3v,
EXCEPT the MOSFET, use the 3.7v off the battery because of the higher current draw.

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »
Alright got those fixed. I think i got everything debounced and resistors right.

Darn i forgot im using aw imr's unprotected so how do i go about hooking up an LDO for a low voltage cutoff?

Thank you breaktru and craig you guys are MCU gods!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/arduinopv103schem.png/

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »
For a single cell, you can just throw a voltage detector on the LDO regulator enable pin, an On Semiconductor NCP300LSN30T1G will do the job nicely.

For a dual cell, you'll need to come up with something from scratch since single chip voltage detectors don't go up to 6V, at least I haven't come across any.  You might be able to find one if you do some digging.

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
would it be alright to use 330ohm resistor instead 100?

And i think im just gonna leave the ldo out and just make sure i watch the volts

Offline SmokeRings

• Puff Master
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Your plan for a mod..... did you make it?  :Thinking:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
Where are you TubeWatts?
Did you ever make your mod?

Offline TubeWatts

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
Hey guys sorry its been awhile, no i havent even started this mod i got side tracked by other projects and lack of funding has made it hard. Hopefully soon i might have a good way to pay for this. But its on hold right now.

Offline SmokeRings

• Puff Master
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
Hey guys sorry its been awhile, no i havent even started this mod i got side tracked by other projects and lack of funding has made it hard. Hopefully soon i might have a good way to pay for this. But its on hold right now.

Yeah, welcome back  ;cheers;

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: My plan for mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx