gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 09:12:06 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Genesis built - wicked but bad metallic taste :(
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Genesis built - wicked but bad metallic taste :(  (Read 19197 times)

Offline sterling101

Genesis built - wicked but bad metallic taste :(
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
OK so over the past few months I've been working on my own genesis atomizer which is a bit like the genesis line.

I did one using Nylon 6 for the base and centre but thought I was getting the nylon melting where the wick was passing through it so went crazy and got some Delrin which is much more temperature stable (so I've read anyway).

Finally got it all put together yesterday and wicked it up with a 2.8ohm coil which seems to be showing no hot spots although it is wicking a little slowly so might need to re-do the stainless mesh rolling.

I prepped the wick by heating over the stove and then burning juice on it then for good measure used some cigarette paper to oxidise under the coil.  All looked good and juice was added - I was all set and ready for a great vape.
First few pulls I just did mouth inhales to get it started but it tastes REALLY strong of metal.

Now being a bit of a clever one the first version had a polycarbonate atomizer chamber but I found some 316 seamless stainless tube which was the same ID so used that for this version.  So I swapped the poly top on - still really tastes of metal.
I don't know if it's something to do with how I made the wick, or the coils (using .32 Kanthal on 400 mesh) but right now I'm tempted to just try wicking with gauze to see if I can get rid of the taste.

So, does anyone know why it's so metallic tasting or have any tips?  I've tried searching ECF but after 14 pages of search results I kind of lost the will to live a bit lol

Leigh

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Genesis built - wicked but bad metallic taste :(
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
Not having experience with Genesis style coils and wicks, I found a number of people mentioning metallic taste and most say:
its because the wick is not fully oxidized.

See our good buddy Fsors comment: http://www.vapersforum.com/showpost.php?s=4e15936955453e51f63d67b15812aa7e&p=898389&postcount=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHn2IDgYhs
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:55:37 PM by Breaktru Admin »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
Okay, what you are tasting is manufacturing oil which can taste very metallic. So what you need to do is start over  at the coil end of things as your wick is fine and not the problem. Before making your coil, take your wire and a lighter and burn the wire along it full length but don't over do it about a second at each section will do just get it red and move on. This will remove the foul taste you are experiencing  ;cheers;

Offline sterling101

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Makes sense to me about the coating - will re-coil it later and see if it makes any difference.  One thing I did think last night is I used JB-Weld to seal the bottom of the tank and hold the 510 connector in place.  I'm wondering if I haven't mixed it 100% and it's leeching into the juice slightly?

It's one of those smells that could be that, but then again might be something completely different - might throw another one together using RTV silicon instead though to see if that makes a difference too....

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Makes sense to me about the coating - will re-coil it later and see if it makes any difference.  One thing I did think last night is I used JB-Weld to seal the bottom of the tank and hold the 510 connector in place.  I'm wondering if I haven't mixed it 100% and it's leeching into the juice slightly?

It's one of those smells that could be that, but then again might be something completely different - might throw another one together using RTV silicon instead though to see if that makes a difference too....

I really doubt the JB is your problem but let us know and your welcome  ;cheers;

Offline sterling101

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
I did wonder about it being the JB as I've heard of people using it before and it had a good 24 hours to set before any juice was added.

Got it all in soak at the minute and will completely re-coil with fresh kanthal.  Also going to give the stainless atty chamber a good scrub with the dremel wire brush to make sure there's no residue on the inside of there too :)

Once it's back together I'll stick a few images up so you can see what it looks like.  Not bad for a franken-atomizer built without a lathe or any real metalworking tools :)

Offline sterling101

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
OK, here's the pics - don't say I didn't warn you!!  Think I might need to re-roll my wick though - it's not wicking fast enough really as it ends up dry if you give it too much.  Still, with being washed out, the wick re-burnt and the kanthal given the heavy glow treatment a few times over the hob flame seems to have cleared the taste up!

Next bit then - how to make it wick faster??? lol

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
A big  :thumbsup: to fsors for his remedy

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
OK, here's the pics - don't say I didn't warn you!!  Think I might need to re-roll my wick though - it's not wicking fast enough really as it ends up dry if you give it too much.  Still, with being washed out, the wick re-burnt and the kanthal given the heavy glow treatment a few times over the hob flame seems to have cleared the taste up!

Next bit then - how to make it wick faster??? lol

How to make it wick faster well......I will give you the help because I had to figure it out the hard way and I like the look of what you have made so just warn you you will never have to buy chinese carto or atties again though bet that breaks your heart huh?

When you roll your wick, roll it around a straightened out paperclip just big enough to fit in the hole not too tight but not loose either and then put it in the hole and pull out the paperclip so you will be left with a tube like structure. ;cheers;

and Thanks Dave, for the kudos ;cheers;

on your next one you could make a intermediate connector from 6160 alum and that will also help wicking as if the rubber intermediate piece you have there on this one is too tight around your wick it is choking it. ;cheers;
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:22:54 PM by fsors »

Offline sterling101

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
Will have another go at making a wick up using that method, thanks fsors!

The intermediate connector is actually Delrin with a 3mm centre hole and it fits just about right in there, not too tight or loose.
But I do have a nice billet of 316 stainless to use as a centre piece which might be rather nice to use :)

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
Will have another go at making a wick up using that method, thanks fsors!

The intermediate connector is actually Delrin with a 3mm centre hole and it fits just about right in there, not too tight or loose.
But I do have a nice billet of 316 stainless to use as a centre piece which might be rather nice to use :)

You will love it with my wick method glad I can help if it's delrin then that is not a problem. Let us know how you like it.  ;cheers; ;cheers;

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Genesis built - wicked but bad metallic taste :(

gfxgfx
gfx gfx