gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 03:43:35 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Short wick vs. Long wick
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Short wick vs. Long wick  (Read 26205 times)

Offline sterling101

Short wick vs. Long wick
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
I've been using a vision stone knock off lately and I'm having some decent success now I've modded it to make it wick evenly and not flood/gurgle.
Now I've been seeing the vivi-nova versions out there and there seems to be a split on which is best - long wicks or short wicks.  I'm using long wicks on the stone but I always unwind the wicks before using as when they're twisted up they tend to struggle a bit when you're chain vaping.

So I suppose the question is, who's tried both and what were the advantages of each?  I know the theory of the long wicks is they should keep going right down to the bottom of the tank, but the short wicks should avoid dry hits as there's less wick for the juice to run up so it's quicker to reach the coil.

Confused slightly, but I suppose unless someone's tried both which I haven't you don't really get an idea of the differences :)

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Short wick vs. Long wick
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
I've been on an atomizer quest lately.  I'm getting down to the wire on my stock of standard Boge cartomizers and I'm intent on finding something better.

I tried a rebuildable Vision Stardust recently.  It can take the same heads as the Vivi Nova.  I did not have great success with the long wick Vivi Nova heads.  I also orderd a short wick head and did not notice a big difference one way or the other.  I've always had a lot of trouble with that type of wick and coil cartomizer keeping up with my chain vaping.  Though, I may try the mini Vivi Nova that has come out recently. 

This is a tangent, but I've recently had great success dripping with an inexpensive rebuildable atomizer.  I never liked dripping with a 510 atomizer because they only hold three drops and they flood really easy, but with the rebuildables, they have juice wells so they can hold like half a ml and they're pretty much flood proof.  They drip beautifully.  I have one called a VH-Rebuild I configured as a dripper, but I ordered a Bullet and a Phoenix.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
I think the thing with the wicks is how you vape too.
I had either dry hits or flooding all the time on the stone as the stock silicone cap would either sit too low and strangle the wicks or sit too high and flood the coil causing the gurgles.
Modded it with a silicone mouthpiece from a carto and a cut down carto condom with a hole punched dead centre.  Now vapes every tume without dry hits and never floods.  Only chancr of a dry hit is if I run the tank too low and there's not enough juice to feed the wick up to the coil.

Liking the look of the phoenix atty - even better is they're in at vapourhut and soon be in at health-e-vape at under $15 if he does the same discount as the ego version!
Will make testing new flavours a dream as the 306 I use is great but even de-bridged and de-wicked some flavours just keep lingering!

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:14 AM »
I think that's what happenned with the Stardust, the narrow top strangles the wick a bit.  I think the mini Vivi Nova will work better since it's wider at the top.

The Vivi Nova heads have a flange to act as a stop for the head's silicon rubber cap so there's now way it can strangle the wicks.  They have a spacious opening and I did not run into any issues with leaking.  Still, not enough wicking speed on the Stardust for me.

I may give up on that type of atomizer though.  Dripping with the rebuildable is looking like the solution for me.  Been using it for almost a week now and it's brilliant, way cleaner tasting than the filler type cartomizers.  Also, you can run an SS wick on the Phoenix;

http://pinoyvaper.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/reinventing-the-phoenix-rebuildable-atomizer/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:15:02 AM by CraigHB »

Offline sterling101

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:18 AM »
With the size of the phoenix there should be enough room if the wick's done right to let it store about 1ml of juice so a perfect dripper that doesn't need topping up very often at all!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »
I've been watching this thread so I can pick up some of the tips you guys are posting.
I'm a late starter with Rebuildable attys/tanks. I'm waiting on the VH-Rebuild that Craig mentioned. Got some Silica wick, cotton yarn, 440 SS mesh, Kanthal 32ga and Nichrome 60 32ga.
Looks like I have my work cut out for me getting it to work satisfactory.

P.S.
What do you think of this new Forum theme. Is it hard on the eyes? Would you prefer the original theme?

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
I like the new theme Dave easy to read and cool good luck making rebuildable if you have any questions feel free to ask

;cheers; ;cheers; ;cheers;

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
I like the new theme Dave easy to read and cool good luck making rebuildable if you have any questions feel free to ask

Thanks fsors,
Do you dry burn cotton wicks or juice them up first? I've seen people do both.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Like the theme a lot, will stick with it.  Clean looking and it's not hard on the eyes.

One note about rebuildables is I'm actually having the best results with vaping performance using 34 AWG wire.  32 AWG can also work well if you want something thicker with lower resistance, but for some reason, I'm getting best flavor with 34 AWG.  It's kind of a mystery to me why that's the case.

I really am happier dripping with this rebuildable than using the cartomziers I was using forever.  The vapor is cleaner and I can really tell the difference after using it for almost a week now.

I'm excited to get the other two rebuildables so I can try some vertical SS wick & coils.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
New theme took me by suprise but yes I like it!
Only thing I have noticed is the new image next to posts doesn't work and just shows a broken image.  Think there was more on the full reply page too but on the android tablet at the mo so can't check properly.

Dripping is the way for full flavour for sure.  Only thing I don't like with the 306 is you get the 'pepper shot' when you run it too low.  Loads of vapour but it's like being dry cleaned from the inside out!
Kinda hoping the phoenix doesn't do that so bad as that's a real bummer when you're driving and can't top up very easily :(

That's the reason I picked up the super cheap vision stone copy - too dangerous to drip and drive lol

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Yes, if you drive a lot, that's a consideration.  I spend most of my time in an office so I don't have any limitations there.

I used to have a strong aversion to dripping because of the hassle factor, but with this type of atomizer, they hold so much juice, it's not a big deal.

I used to refill the cartomizers when they needed about 20 drops.  I can load the one I'm using right now with 12 drops at a time.  From what I understand, the juice cup on the Phoenix is even bigger.

The other thing when dripping with a standard atomizer, I'd always get dry hits by surprise and I really hate dry hits.  Seems like I can't get rid of that taste in my mouth when it happens.  The one I'm using now gives you plenty of warning before that happens.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

One note about rebuildables is I'm actually having the best results with vaping performance using 34 AWG wire.  32 AWG can also work well if you want something thicker with lower resistance, but for some reason, I'm getting best flavor with 34 AWG.  It's kind of a mystery to me why that's the case.

I was debating with going with either the 32 or 34ga. My thinking was that I would use more coils with the 32ga which would cover more of the wick? Does that sound logical? Well being you tried both, actual experience is best. Thanks Craig.
Do you see a missing ICON like sterling? I don't see it missing but dungog said the same thing.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Yep that's it Dave - the icon next to a post title when there's a new post.  Nothing major, just wonderef if it was something you knew about.

I'm using 32 kanthal on my genesis and it's quite springy but if I burn it well before winding it's nice and easy to use.  I use 5 wraps (5 on one side and 4 on the other when you look at it) and that gives me 2.8ohm every time.
Not tried any other wire yet as I've got a few feet left and it didn't cost me anything but I'm happy with it for now.

Leigh

Offline SmokeRings

• Puff Master
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks fsors,
Do you dry burn cotton wicks or juice them up first? I've seen people do both.

I'm also curious about cotton for a wick and if it needs to be fired dry. Anyone worried about inhaling silica?  :Thinking:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »
Yes, I noticed a missing Icon on the new messages listing, the one you can click on to jump to the last unread post.  I see it's fixed now.

Both the 32 and 34 AWG work well.  They're different though.  You'll want to try both and see what you like better.  I keep waffling back and forth.  A couple days ago, I was liking the 32 AWG better, today I like the 34 AWG better.  They are definitely different.  Since I got my rebuildable last week, I think I've made 30 coils with different lengths of wire in varying thicknesses from 34 to 28 AWG.  At this point I like the 2.8 Ohm 34 AWG coil best as a regular vape.  The high power coils are fun though, but not to vape on routinely, too much vapor (I never would have thought I could say that).  Having a lot of fun with it, fascinating.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »
Dry burning cotton would be a no go as it has a much lower flame point than silica and will burn like a carto filling if it's dry.

I don't think inhaling silica is too likely though with a well wetted wick although I'd be wary if the wick was quite flaky and running dry.

Tempted to try some cotton wick though to see how it differs from silica and SS.

Edit: thanks Dave - icons are working fine now :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
Dry burning cotton would be a no go as it has a much lower flame point than silica and will burn like a carto filling if it's dry.

I don't think inhaling silica is too likely though with a well wetted wick although I'd be wary if the wick was quite flaky and running dry.

Tempted to try some cotton wick though to see how it differs from silica and SS.

Edit: thanks Dave - icons are working fine now :)

Thanks for the reply on dry burning. Makes sense. Also about silica.

Offline sterling101

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has the same result but when I bought my Innokin LEA I used to cough all the time with it.  Seemed to produce a really harsh vape which is strange as it's pretty much the same as the ego-t system.
Does make me wonder if that is wick related or not as I don't get it with the 306 with or without wick nor the vision stone unless the liquid's caramelising a bit and going dark.  Then it's more the strength of the flavour that does me - especially with the swedish fish flavour I'm addicted to at the minute lol
And for those who don't know, swedish fish are like gummy bears - not real fish! lol

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
Dave I would not dry burn these materials  ;cheers;

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »
Anyone worried about inhaling silica?

I have to dry burn a freshly assembled silica wick and coil before applying any juice or I get a bad taste that doesn't go away quickly.  Don't know if it's just the particular wick I'm using or if all silica wicks are like that. This is the stuff.  In any case, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than the filler type cartomizers I was using.  They never taste perfectly clean and after two years using them, I've probably vaped an amount of that filler.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
I have to dry burn a freshly assembled silica wick and coil before applying any juice or I get a bad taste that doesn't go away quickly.  Don't know if it's just the particular wick I'm using or if all silica wicks are like that. This is the stuff.  In any case, it's a hell of a lot cleaner than the filler type cartomizers I was using.  They never taste perfectly clean and after two years using them, I've probably vaped an amount of that filler.

Craig it's prob not the wick that gives a foul taste. Try burning your wire with a lighter before you make the coil. ;cheers;

Offline carmine

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
i  unraveled my wick wicking  much much bettter

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
i  unraveled my wick wicking  much much bettter

I did that w/ my Vivi Nova and it's been wicking good

Offline carmine

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
i bet works like new now i know mine does since
i  unraveed the wick lol

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
i bet works like new now i know mine does since
i  unraveed the wick lol

Actually, I did that after depleting the first tank full. Yes much better.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Short wick vs. Long wick

gfxgfx
gfx gfx