gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 05:25:08 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Classifieds And Swaps  |  Topic: WTB: Soldering station
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WTB: Soldering station  (Read 10392 times)

Offline icky

WTB: Soldering station
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »
I want to buy a cheap temp controlled soldering station. I have been looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-936-Soldering-Station-MRO-NEW-in-BOX-AOYUE-/270585062186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0020632a which has some good reviews on youtube, or maybehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/937D-SMD-Soldering-Station-Hot-Iron-Gun-Desoldering-Digital-Adjustable-w-5-Tips-/221132115140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c804cc4 I would like a similar unit that someone still has that might have upgraded to a better unit or whatever. If not guidance would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:38:33 PM by icky »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
Re: WTB: Soldering station
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
Cheap isn't always a good deal.

If you want one that's gonna last many, many years without fail....stay with quality!

Weller is a very established and trusted brand name and you won't have any problems finding spare tips.

You can find this model on eBay used or new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Weller-WES51-Analog-Soldering-Station-w-Accessories-/120476486421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0cf54b15

There's a couple used ones on there now that are pretty reasonable.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
I have the exact Weller model (WES51) and I am very happy with it. I do a lot of soldering. Weller headquarters are in N.C. but have 16 international manufacturing plants.

AOYUE is a Chinese Company. Their soldering stations are knock-offs of Hakko soldering stations a Japanese Company. I've read that Hakko soldering stations are made in Malaysia.
Aoyue are popular because of the price. Not sure about the quality of the unit. Here are customer Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-936-AOYUE-Soldering-Station/product-reviews/B000VINMRO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You have to consider replacement parts and accessories. Are they readily available?
I can't say not to buy a AOYUE, the price is good but like Timesarerough stated, will it hold up.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:28:13 PM by Breaktru »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
Here's the cheapest new one I could find, don't think I've ever seen them this low as a complete set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-Wes51-Analog-Soldering-Station-/390484619195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aeab26fbb

Offline horton

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
You might want to check this site for soldering stations and other equipment related to electronics ( http://sra-solder.com/ ).  I've dealt with them for several years and they are very honest and reliable.  They sell the Aoyue products as well as others. 
Just my two cents...... eBay is also a great place to find deals, but many times I've found what the seller considers good condition, I might consider it not quite as good (hope that made sense...lol).

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
You might want to check this site for soldering stations and other equipment related to electronics ( http://sra-solder.com/ ).  I've dealt with them for several years and they are very honest and reliable.  They sell the Aoyue products as well as others. 
Just my two cents...... eBay is also a great place to find deals, but many times I've found what the seller considers good condition, I might consider it not quite as good (hope that made sense...lol).

Interesting electronic stuff besides SS. Thanks Matt

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
That digital power supply for $89 is a great deal.  I paid $200 for mine and the quality is probably not any better (both made in China).

Sometimes the China stuff is decent, other times it's junk, total crap shoot.

I have WESD51 which is the same one mentioned, but with a digital readout.  Don't think it's worth the extra $50 for that, but it's nice to have anyway.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
That digital power supply for $89 is a great deal.  I paid $200 for mine the quality is probably not any better (both made in China).

Sometimes the China stuff is decent, other times it's junk, total crap shoot.

I have WESD51 which is the same one mentioned, but with a digital readout.  Don't think it's worth the extra $50 for that, but it's nice to have anyway.

Yes I was looking at the two pwr supplies for $89 and $99 which are identical except for 10 bucks more you get USB and RS232 Interface for remote control of the Supply. That's actually sold out.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
Mine has a USB interface, but I haven't had a need to use it.  Allows you to program your own waveforms, sort of like a function generator.  I think the clock is limited though, you wouldn't be able to do anything more than a few hundred hertz.  Have to check the specs on that if it's even listed.  Probably find it in the user manual.

Offline horton

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
Glad I could be of a little help......  hope y'all find the devices you are needing.  I have a few other sites I'll try to dig up.   Some are for used larger equipment and some are for they type of stuff we want for say mods or repairs.......

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Classifieds And Swaps  |  Topic: WTB: Soldering station

gfxgfx
gfx gfx