gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 18, 2024, 11:56:26 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Did Clone Success Story
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Did Clone Success Story  (Read 26174 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Did Clone Success Story
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
I've had this Did Clone for a couple of months and could never get it working right.
It always had a burnt taste due to poor wicking. I've tried dozens of SS wicks and coils and tipped it constantly to saturate the wick with poor results.

I made several porous wicks using the Airstone (fish wick) but broke them all while winding coils. They are extremely fragile. I tried a 3/32" stone due to the didi wick hole size and then drilled out the hole for 1/8" stone.

Today I rolled a 1/8" diameter SS #400 wick and wrapped a Kanthal 32ga for a 1.5 ohm coil.
This thing is now awesome. Fantastic wicking. What a super vape. I'm dizzy from the buzz.

So my suggestion is to drill a 1/8" wick hole and use a 1/8" diameter wick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:34:35 PM by Breaktru »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
Re: Didi Clone Success Story
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
Dizzy from the buzz......cool :beer-toast: ;cheers; :rockin smiley:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
That's the problem with SS wicks they're too tempermental.  You might find it works great this time and then works crappy the next time.  I run a sleeve on mine, works great every time and its really consistent.  I think you're talking about the same atomizer I'm using.  Been using them for several months now and I really like them.  Did some some modifiction though.  I'm using the original wick hole which is 2.4mm.  I roll the wicks so they fit with a little clearance in the hole and with the sleeve on there, the coil diameter is about 3mm.  Wicking speed is always excellent and flavor is super clean, best atomizer I've used.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
That's the problem with SS wicks they're too temperamental.  You might find it works great this time and then works crappy the next time.  I run a sleeve on mine, works great every time and its really consistent.  I think you're talking about the same atomizer I'm using.  Been using them for several months now and I really like them.  Did some some modification though.  I'm using the original wick hole which is 2.4mm.  I roll the wicks so they fit with a little clearance in the hole and with the sleeve on there, the coil diameter is about 3mm.  Wicking speed is always excellent and flavor is super clean, best atomizer I've used.

Can you describe what the sleeve is?
Believe me I tried every trick in the book w/ this didi clone and SS wicks. I couldn't for the life of me get it working good up until now.
I had great success w/ my converted Smoktech Vivi using SS wicks no matter how I made the wick.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
Here's the thread describing how I use it.  Been using it with excellent results going on 6 months now.

Here's where I get it. I order the XC-116-10.  That's 10 feet for $22.50 plus shipping, about $30 altogether.  Hoping to find a cheaper source one of these days, but the cost is tolerable since you only use a fraction of an inch at a time.

Here's a photo of how it looks, there's a 400 mesh roll in the middle a little over 2mm in diameter as I mentioned before.  The sleeve only covers the section under the coil, about a 1/2" in length.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »
I have been making and vaping genisis atties since Jan 2012 and Dave you just need more practice although Craig's method looks very intriguing I have never used it and if I can learn to do it consistently I believe you can too.  Though if Craig wants to share a small amount of the big rope of his, I sure wouldn't be opposed.
 :applaude: Nice video  :yes" and post link Craig! :applaude:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:12 AM »
I can probably send a little your way Dave and fsors if want to try it.  One of the guys on that other forum I hang out at is really good at the doing the bare wicks.  He tried it and wasn't overly impressed.  A few other people have said it was a huge improvement.  So, it's pretty subjective.  I'm really happy with it anyway.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »
I can probably send a little your way Dave and fsors if want to try it.  One of the guys on that other forum I hang out at is really good at the doing the bare wicks.  He tried it and wasn't overly impressed.  A few other people have said it was a huge improvement.  So, it's pretty subjective.  I'm really happy with it anyway.

I would love to try some Craig you are so kind I owe you Buddy.

Thank You,

fsors

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:48:34 AM »
I'll send you a foot or two when I get a chance, should still have your addy in my personal messages.  Let me know if want some Dave.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:21:41 AM »
I'll send you a foot or two when I get a chance, should still have your addy in my personal messages.  Let me know if want some Dave.

Thanks Craig I love to try new things. You are very kind! Someday I will send you something special in return. :thankyou:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:42:23 AM »
No problem, we're all vapers here.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »

Thanks Craig, I appreciate that. A couple of inches will do.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
I have been making and vaping genisis atties since Jan 2012 and Dave you just need more practice although Craig's method looks very intriguing I have never used it and if I can learn to do it consistently I believe you can too.  Though if Craig wants to share a small amount of the big rope of his, I sure wouldn't be opposed.
 :applaude: Nice video  :yes" and post link Craig! :applaude:

Great fsors. I do have much experience with making SS wicks. And they are very successful in other RBA's but just not this particular didi clone until opening up the wick hole.
I am very interested in trying Craigs idea. I remember now him talking about the sleeving previously.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
Hey, one note on coiling the sleeved wicks.  I was waffling between a coil with 4 turns for about 1.5 Ohms versus a coil with 5 turns for about 1.8 Ohms, this is with 32 ga nichrome 60.  I think I like the 4 turn coil better.  It seems to run longer between cleanings since the coils have more space between them.  It takes longer for the gunk to build up.  Just thought I'd mention that since one disadvantage with the sleeving is it's more sensitive to gunk buildup than a bare wick.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
UPDATE:

After several tank refills the Didi clone is still going strong with the 1/8" wick.

When it dies, I'm going to make the wick with Craig's sleeve method.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how that works for you.  Works brilliantly for me, but these things are pretty subjective so people have to try things for themselves.

Online Haileah

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »
I have tried my hand at the fish wicks and  Doh:
All I have is a pile of broken wicks. Dang these things are so fragile  raged:

Offline columbusbk

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
I have tried my hand at the fish wicks and  Doh:
All I have is a pile of broken wicks. Dang these things are so fragile  raged:

I know exactly what you mean. I gave up one them myself  :thumbsdwn2:
It's just not worth the aggravation

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how that works for you.  Works brilliantly for me, but these things are pretty subjective so people have to try things for themselves.

I made a wick w/ your nextel wrap. I struggled a bit with trying to not have too much of the sleeve unravel even with torching it first. I made sure I cut it longer than needed and trimmed the unraveled ends.
It vaped okay but took a full tank full to loose the metallic taste from the un-torched SS wick. I liked the fact that the coil is insulated from the SS wick so hot spots are not a factor and the juice stays clean.
On the 4th tank vapor started to decline. Not sure if I used Nichrome or Kanthal. I've been having issues with my Nichrome dieing and sometimes popping. Any way I was not overly impressed w/ it's performance. Guess I'm one of the people w/ issues.

I pulled out the wick and made a Fishstick wick. So far so good. I used the hot wrap method for winding the coil and it was pretty easy to do.
Here is a photo of the porous wick...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:47:19 PM by Breaktru »

Offline fsors

• PV Master
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
wow still waiting on mine Craig ??? really want to give it a try. I still have glass tubes in the box if you want to trade?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
Hmm, I sent a piece to you some time ago fsors.  Should have got it like a week ago.  Might be because the address you gave me uses "fsors" instead of a personal name?  Maybe they didn't deliver it because of that.

Sorry to hear you didn't have good results with the Nextel sleeve Dave.  It really should work well right out of the gate.  When i do mine, they work perfect from the first hit and stay that way.  If you want to give it another go, here's how I handle the sleeved wicks, maybe that will improve your results.

The stuff has to be cut with flush cutters or a sharp pair of wire cutters else it will unravel.  Torch a good length of it and make the cuts well within the torched section.  When I do that, I get no unravelling at all.

I've never done any heat treatment on the SS mesh.  I don't see where that would help anything so I don't bother.  I've not had any issues neglecting to do that.

I do a rubbing alcohol flush right after assembly then a dry with compressed air.  That gets rid of any finger grease which tastes like, umm, finger grease.  I do have to clean the coil every few tanks which I do with a water flush then a rubbing alcohol flush.  I dry with compressed air then do a dry burn.  A sleeve can usually run through about 100ml of juice before I replace it.

A loose wire wrap would be the only thing I can think of that would cause a metallic taste.  It's pretty critical to get the wire wrap fairly tight or it won't work well.  I usually give the wire a pull on both ends and even go over the coils with tweezers to get them tight as possible.  If you drop an unfolded paper clip down the center of the mesh, that will allow you to put some force on the wick while wrapping.

The one thing that it is definitely an issue with a sleeve is it's more sensitive to gunk buildup.  I stick to clean vaping juice with one.  I get the best results with 4 well spaced wraps of heating wire.  5 wraps also works well as long as they are liberally spaced, but the coil gunks up faster.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
Up date on the ceramic (fishwick). Still using the same wick and coil wire. Wicking can not keep up with the vape. Have to tilt the tank often to wet it.

I'm using a fish wick in the didi clone and a SS in a Smoktek Vivi. I like the SS better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:04:33 AM by Breaktru »

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
  • Username: Virus
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
Shows us some images of your converted SS Nova, D....pleeeease.   :yes"

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »

Have to clean it up first T. Been using it for several months as a Genisis style conversion.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »

T, basically I used Scubabatdan's method shown here: Here.....
My air hole is smaller than what he used. I found that a 3/65" hole was too airy. Start with a hole as small as possible. You can enlarge it if you feel the draw is to tight.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 01:03:04 AM »
Uuum, that isn't a Nova Tank....

This is an image of my 10ml Nova Tank that I converted into a carto tank:

And here's a standard 3.5ml sized Nova tank:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
Yes T, the Smoktek Vivi (genesis convert) and Vivi Nova (silica) are two different animals.
I also like my Vivi Nova. It works great and is reliable. Always consistent.

Offline timesarerough

• PV Master
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
Sorry D...I read "Vivi" and thought Nova.  Doh:

Silica sux, down with silica... :thumbsdwn:

Cartos rule!   :rockin smiley:

Offline tommygun

• Cloud Maker
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
I luv my Vivi Nova. Less fuss. My wick and coils seem to last a long time. Hate dealing w/ SS mesh.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Did Clone Success Story

gfxgfx
gfx gfx