gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 06:04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Battery chargers circuits and thoughts
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Battery chargers circuits and thoughts  (Read 10615 times)

Offline utak3r

Battery chargers circuits and thoughts
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:03 AM »
Very informative document from Analog Devices about chargers: from NiHM to Li-Ion.

Offline steamEngine

Re: Battery chargers circuits and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
 :thumbsup: thanks for sharing utak3r

Offline tj138waterboy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
removed for saftey reasons
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:21:49 AM by tj138waterboy »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
You're not specifying much there so I can't tell, but if you're trying to charge an e-cig like that directly off a wall adapter without a charger controller in between, that would be hazardous.  Applying more than 4.2V to an e-cig like that has a high likelihood of causing a battery fire, aside from the severe damage to the battery it will cause otherwise.

Offline tj138waterboy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
post removed for saftey reasons
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:21:21 AM by tj138waterboy »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
I don't really understand what you're doing here since your description is sketchy, but generally speaking you simply can not safely charge a Li-Ion battery without a charger controller.  The thing is voltage has to be regulated to 4.2V exactly and current has to be limited to the maximal charging rate, usually no more than 1C or one times the charge of the cell.  To try and attempt this without using some kind of device that regulates voltage and current exactly is asking for trouble.  If you are charging without a controller it's your prerogative to attempt this despite any advice on my part, but for anyone else don't do it.

Furthermore, the eGo type batteries don't use a direct connection to the Li-Ion cell.  They use a scheme to handle the double duty performed by the atomizer connector.  As such, they require a special type of Li-Ion charger that is compatible with the e-cig's electronics.  So a normal Li-Ion charger will not work properly with one of these e-cigs.  Specifically, the e-cig's electronics poll the connector for charging voltage which confuses a standard Li-Ion charger.  The e-cig itself does not regulate charging voltage or current, it only performs the function of switching the connection between charging and vaping.

The more advanced eGo type battery units (like the variable ones) have additional safeties to protect the cell from various faults including over-voltage due to a charger fault.  In that case it will disconnect the cell once charger voltage exceeds an amount over 4.2V.  This is purely a safety feature to protect the cell in the event of a charger failure and is not something to be relied upon for normal charging.  Also you you can't assume all e-cigs provide these safeties.  The standard eGos have none of them.  If you put 5V on a standard eGo 5V will be applied to the cell, then boom.

Offline tj138waterboy

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »
Ok I see what you are saying. I figured since the protection board was keeping it regulated down because my multimeter would bounce between 3.8 - 4.19 until the fire button shut off indicating it was fully charged but I probably won't be doing any charging again or at least with this twist pen. I finally got my box mod finished so no need for this mod anymore.

Offline Zanderist

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
I see an old thread here sorry to bump it, but please do not attempt to make a li-ion battery charger from strach, I killed some scrap ego batteries that way.

Offline CoraDias

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
Hi...as per my knowledge the eGo type batteries don't use a direct connection to the Li-Ion cell.  They use a scheme to handle the double duty performed by the atomizer connector.  As such, they require a special type of Li-Ion charger that is compatible with the e-cig's electronics.  So a normal Li-Ion charger will not work properly with one of these e-cigs.

pcb assembly request
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:22:40 PM by CoraDias »

Offline GeorgeC547

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:12 AM »
very interesting and informative :)

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: Battery chargers circuits and thoughts

gfxgfx
gfx gfx