gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:20:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Case for the DNA20D
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Case for the DNA20D  (Read 7857 times)

Offline memnoch

Case for the DNA20D
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
So I've been planning re-casing my 4050 mod for a while. It's currently using a 2 AA battery box with one 14500 and a touch switch using a 510 atomizer connection. It works great, though I'm thinking of going to a regular fire button (not sure yet, lately it's been firing with the switch off and I have to double check to see if I screwed up somewhere) and going up to 18650s. I love the size (well, it's a bit small for these big musician's hands), but the 14500s don't last all day at work. I have 4 and I am usually well into my 3rd battery or just into my 4th by the end of my work day. I should probably just buy another charger and keep one at my desk, but that's not the point!

I've always liked box / grip style mods, tubes aren't bad, but I'll be honest, I always feel like I'm going to (and have) dropped them countless times (not that I've never dropped box mods... I'm just glad the worst I've done with a drop is break the XL+ size clear-o-mizers when I still used them).

I repaired the VW Gripper that's popular for a friend of mine (poor ground battery plate / wire connection, re-solder was all it took). The form is one I've always liked, though the particular one honestly felt ... flimsy. Especially after popping it open to fix his and having to use hot glue to keep it shut again. Plus the rubberized coating is what I think was responsible for the battery door being so hard to open when he applied enough force to slide it over, the tab holding it "shut" snapped, so it isn't wonderful.

I found and bought a box for 2 18650s (2 in series should last me the day, I'd hope) that was designed for recharging cell phones. It isn't bad, but honestly, it's a little bigger than I would've liked. Here's what I picked up: http://goo.gl/e3ugB (eBay link). It has a cut-out with a membrane holding some plastic on the face for pressing a tact switch on it's own board, that could be used on another tact switch, especially since the dna20 solder points are only logic functions that don't require power handling. But as I said, it feels a bit big.

I was wondering if you guys had any wonderful recommendations. If you know of a case like the VW gripper that's just not a flimsy piece of crap, get the idea of the size I'm looking for (I'd prefer rubberized aluminum, but plastic is great, since I can cut a display slot in it). 2 18650s in parallel aren't required, just a thought. I'm sure a 1600 or 2k mAh AW would be perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Case for the DNA20D
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
If you want to use a round cell, a tube is actually a more space efficient enclosure.  The DNA20 is actually designed to fit in a tube

Boxes are really only advantageous when you want to use a flat cell.  LiPo flat cells 10C and over actually have somewhat lower energy density than an IMR round cell (they use more volume for the same mAh rating), but they are also more efficient meaning they have less voltage sag under load and waste less power.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:43:37 PM by CraigHB »

Offline synchro

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
Thats the same box I've used for a couple of projects now: http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,709.msg5999.html#msg5999

Its nice but doesn't stand up well, not good with RBA's. 

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:18:46 AM »
I also have used this box for a few mods

Mine was a evercool mod.

Offline poorboy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:52:06 AM »
Funny i have same enclosure and same placement of the display. :D

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Funny i have same enclosure and same placement of the display. :D

Seemed like the best logical way to fill the hole from the charger.

Offline poorboy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
Yep. I also covered the top with kinda black tint flexiglass to make it look more flush. :D

Offline Dznutz

• Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
Yep. I also covered the top with kinda black tint flexiglass to make it look more flush. :D

I set mine low about 1-2 mm then covered with epoxy and left on a level surface, gravity made it flush for me and sealed IR ;)

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Case for the DNA20D

gfxgfx
gfx gfx