gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:40:26 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Soldering iron question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Soldering iron question  (Read 10354 times)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
Soldering iron question
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
I am currently using a 30w iron. I've heard a couple of you guys say you've toasted circuits, and now I'm kinda worried. I don't have a lot of money for a new iron (lack of funds is what got me Modding in the first place), so a station is out. Should I be looking at 15w irons, or will mine work and I should just be careful? And what temp are you soldering boards at? I have some TI samples inbound, and would hate to destroy them.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Soldering iron question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
Using a Soldering Station with temperature control is essential in not burning up sensitive electronic components. Using a 30W iron requires skill. A clean and properly tinned tip as well as clean parts that are being soldered plus using flux will help. Holding the tip on the joint for the least amount of time to avoid over heating is recommended.

http://youtu.be/Vh9pWu6K6tc

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
Using a Soldering Station with temperature control is essential in not burning up sensitive electronic components. Using a 30W iron requires skill. A clean and properly tinned tip as well as clean parts that are being soldered plus using flux will help. Holding the tip on the joint for the least amount of time to avoid over heating is recommended.

Have to agree with Breaktru. Although I don't have a soldering station yet, I use about the same wattage iron. It makes it hard to get used to soldering correctly, but when you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. I screwed up many parts before I understood how to solder. In my case, using flux on both parts to be soldered really helped. I also tinned the wire to be soldered and the iron too. When you get it down, it only takes a few seconds to do the actual soldering.

Of course I agree with Breaktru and all he said, so take his advice first. I was just trying to explain how I ended up learning how to solder with the iron I have.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
I don't think modding is necessarily a way to save money.  I've spent way more money building mods than I ever would buying them already made.  I suppose it can be if you do things as cheaply as possible, but then you end up with a cheaply made device.  Those abound for for not a whole lot more money than you can build them.

In any case, the 25 or 30 Watt pencils are fine for wires and terminals, but I would never attempt to solder anything on a PCB with one.  I've been soldering electronics for decades, but I started with a soldering pencil.  Until I got a proper station, I fried lots of electronic parts back then.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
I don't think modding is necessarily a way to save money.  I've spent way more money building mods than I ever would buying them already made.  I suppose it can be if you do things as cheaply as possible, but then you end up with a cheaply made device.  Those abound for for not a whole lot more money than you can build them.

I have to agree about building mods. My lady is complaining already that I'm spending too much on my new found hobby. One thing though... You get a lot of pleasure vaping something that you made. Not bragging but the only mod I've made so far vapes as good as my Vamo. I've been using only my mod since it was built.

And you're right Craig, there are some cheap devices out there for around $20.00... A friend sent me the new Winder from eGo (I think) and it's pretty good. Better than the spinner anyway. There are also some mechanicals out there that are fairly inexpensive too.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

I guess I sort of misspoke.  The money savings doesn't come from the mod itself, but in the modding.  For example, I have spent about the same as I would have for a high end vv mod.  Out of that, I have the raw materials for at least 3 mods, on top of the three I've already built.  I've also spent about 20 hours modding.  Frustrating at times, fun at others, but mostly entertaining and ultimately satisfying.  In addition, I've started learning a new skill, and justified the purchase of more tools (even if I have to save up for them).  All this at slightly below what I would have spent on cigarettes for the last 2 months (a carton a week @ $35).

Yeah, I could have spent $35 on a cheap mod.  But where's the fun in that?  ;)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

Thank you for the vid, it was very informative.  What has everyone found to be better? Higher temp for quick, pinpoint soldering, or lower temp for less chance of heating up the components?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
I guess I sort of misspoke.  The money savings doesn't come from the mod itself, but in the modding.  For example, I have spent about the same as I would have for a high end vv mod.  Out of that, I have the raw materials for at least 3 mods, on top of the three I've already built.  I've also spent about 20 hours modding.  Frustrating at times, fun at others, but mostly entertaining and ultimately satisfying.  In addition, I've started learning a new skill, and justified the purchase of more tools (even if I have to save up for them).  All this at slightly below what I would have spent on cigarettes for the last 2 months (a carton a week @ $35).

I understand where you're coming from Phestr. But my lady doesn't count the money I'm saving by not smoking, lol. Except for switches (I've burned up a few), I have enough left over parts to make 3 or 4 more mods. To me, it's all about the fun of trying to make something work. You get that "tickled" feeling when you finally get it up and working :)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
All this at slightly below what I would have spent on cigarettes for the last 2 months (a carton a week @ $35).

Move to NYC, you'll feel better about what you saved on ciggs. In Manhattan you can spend as much as $14 a pack. Here in the outer borough it is $12 to $14. 5 minutes over the bridge to NJ they are $7.50 a pack.
An on top of that Obama plans to tack on a 94 cent federal tax: Obama Tax

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »
Sure glad I don't smoke anymore.  I was getting pretty angry with the ridiculous taxes on cigs three years ago when I started vaping.  It's even crazier now.  I used to mail order cigs from overseas to dodge the taxes and it dropped the cost less than half.  And that's in a state with low cigarette taxes.

You wouldn't think governments could tax something like that with no consequence, but I guess they can do whatever the hell they want and nobody's going to say boo.  People say, "yeah fine, tax the crap out of them since they're bad," but then you're opening a doorway to start taxing everything like that.  It's a slippery slope and they've already gained lots of momentum.

One thing though... You get a lot of pleasure vaping something that you made. Not bragging but the only mod I've made so far vapes as good as my Vamo. I've been using only my mod since it was built.

Yes, there's a lot of personal satisfaction in using something you built yourself.  Plus it's built to your own personal specifications.  If you don't like something you can just change it on the next one.

Go ahead and brag, I will.  Nothing matches the performance, reliablility, and convenience of my mods.  I haven't used anything else for a couple years now.  It would be a downgrade.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Soldering iron question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx