gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 03:58:54 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: RBA Questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RBA Questions  (Read 20366 times)

Offline marlow57

RBA Questions
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »
I want to try an RBA. What should I look for? Genisis style, Silca wick or something other?
Something easy to clean.
What size coil wire works good? 32, 30, 28 gauge or ?
I normally use 1.5 to 2.0 ohms.

Online FlameOut

Re: RBA Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
Good questions. I would like to know as well. Anybody watching this thread?  :Thinking:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »
Cleaning is typically just a matter replacing the wick and coil with a few dry burns inbetween.  So, one that's easy to rebuild is going to be the lowest maintenance.

Generally, the silica ones are easier to rebuild.  The Genesis type can be tricky since you have to deal with keeping the heating wire insulated from the wick.  It's usually not a big deal, but it can be frustrating for some.  The Genesis type usually perform better.  They wick faster than the silica type and tend to vape cleaner longer.

I like the 32 AWG nichrome 60 heating wire.  My atomizers are usually around 1.5 Ohms.  Kanthal A1 is a brand and type of heating wire that has better heat tolerance, but I use the nichrome 60 with no issue.  Here's a source for nichrome;  http://jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm     E-cig shops usually carry Kanthal A1 (be sure it's the A1 grade).  Some people use a ribbon wire with the Genesis type that supposedly improves performance.  That stuff is hard to find.

I use a Genny type for a rebuildable tank and the silica type for a rebuildable dripper.  I like the drippers because they're compact and easy to use when out and about.  I have to use a needle bottle to fill the Gennies where I can just drip into a dripper.  Plus the drippers are a lot smaller and more stylish looking.  Gennies tend to be pretty ugly as far as I'm concerned.  They can look good when matched with an 18650 mod, but those things are huge.  There's no way I'd use one in public.  My Gennies perform better than the drippers, but the drippers work decent. No complaints about them really.

These guys probably have the best selection of rebuildables I've seen in one place with the best prices;  http://www.discountvapers.com/rebuildables/

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:18:15 PM by CraigHB »

Offline marlow57

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
Thank you so much Craig. Your explanation is highly appreciated.
I will be checking out the DiscountVaper.
I'll get some 32ga and probably go with silca at first to avoid the frustration  :laughing:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
Welcome, best of luck with it.  The best thing about a rebuildable is I don't have to buy atomizers all the time.  That gets tiresome, though re-coiling comes with its own monotony.  The performance is quite a bit better than any non-rebuildable atomizer I've used.

Online FlameOut

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Great info Craig and thank you very much. You are truly a life saver.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
Again, good ole Craig comes to the rescue  :rockin smiley:

This forum is full of "Watchers" but very few participants. I wish that more members would join in as well.
Thanks again Craig for all your knowledgeable postings  :yes"

Online yogi

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
Cleaning is typically just a matter replacing the wick and coil with a few dry burns inbetween.  So, one that's easy to rebuild is going to be the lowest maintenance.

Generally, the silica ones are easier to rebuild.  The Genesis type can be tricky since you have to deal with keeping the heating wire insulated from the wick.  It's usually not a big deal, but it can be frustrating for some.  The Genesis type usually perform better.  They wick faster than the silica type and tend to vape cleaner longer.

I like the 32 AWG nichrome 60 heating wire.  My atomizers are usually around 1.5 Ohms.  Kanthal A1 is a brand and type of heating wire that has better heat tolerance, but I use the nichrome 60 with no issue.  Here's a source for nichrome;  http://jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm     E-cig shops usually carry Kanthal A1 (be sure it's the A1 grade).  Some people use a ribbon wire with the Genesis type that supposedly improves performance.  That stuff is hard to find.

I use a Genny type for a rebuildable tank and the silica type for a rebuildable dripper.  I like the drippers because they're compact and easy to use when out and about.  I have to use a needle bottle to fill the Gennies where I can just drip into a dripper.  Plus the drippers are a lot smaller and more stylish looking.  Gennies tend to be pretty ugly as far as I'm concerned.  They can look good when matched with an 18650 mod, but those things are huge.  There's no way I'd use one in public.  My Gennies perform better than the drippers, but the drippers work decent. No complaints about them really.

These guys probably have the best selection of rebuildables I've seen in one place with the best prices;  http://www.discountvapers.com/rebuildables/

Great X-plain-in. Your the best  :applaude:

Online Avamil

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Good info here.  :thankyou:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
Here's an update on the info I posted before.

I managed to find some ribbon heating wire on eBay pretty cheap.  Just search on "Kanthal ribbon".  The .4x.1mm is probably the best size since it's pretty close to 32 gauge nichrome 60 in terms of resistance per length.  However, I only found one listing for it on eBay where there's several for the .3x.1mm and .5x.1mm.

There's a few e-cig shops that now carry the Kanthal ribbon wire, but they tend to mark-up the stuff quite a bit.  It's a lot cheaper on eBay.  I ordered some .6x.07mm from a US seller and got it pretty quick.  The order I made for the .4x.1 is coming from overseas so it's going to take a while.  The wider stuff is almost exactly the same resistance as the 32 gauge nichrome, but it's a bit wide.  The .4x.1 would probably be better and it's also similar in resistance to the 32 ga.

I tried the ribbon wire on both my genny and my dripper which uses a silica wick.  I got notable performance improvements in both with it.  It improves flavor in the dripper with a small increase in vapor production.  On the genny, it improves vapor production with a small improvement in flavor.   I'm probably going to stick with ribbon wire from now on since it's pretty cheap on eBay.

One other note, if you try a genesis atomizer, be sure to get one that has an insulated wick hole.  The ones that allow the SS mesh wick to ground out going through the wick hole are much harder to get working well.  When the wick is grounded, it allows the heating wire to short between the contact area and the positive terminal.  When the wick is not grounded, the wire can only short between turns.  In the latter case, it makes insulating the wick from the heating wire much easier.

Check out the pulse method as opposed to the oxidation method for insulating the SS mesh wick and heating wire.  It only works with a non-grounded wick, but it's much faster and easier.

A final note, I was under the mistaken impression that the A and D grades of Kanthal wire were more inferior than they are to the A1 grade.  I finally looked up the specs at Kanthal's web site and found all the grades have the same melting point with a spread of only 100C in heat tolerance between the D and A1 grades.  So, if you find something in an A or D grade instead of the A1 grade, it should be fine.  All are still superior in heat tolerance to nichrome 60.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:48:22 PM by CraigHB »

Offline elzakivis

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the update craig. Do you know off hand which RBA has an insulated wick hole?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:50:21 PM by CraigHB »

Offline elzakivis

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »
Any thoughts on the RBA's that use spring loaded positive posts? Never read a complaint about them but it seems that perhaps it can lead to a resistive contact point

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
If I were to buy one, I'd mod it somehow to remove the spring and make it a hard screw-down contact.  Spring contacts are no good at all.  Lots of corrosion and oxidation builds up on the metal being exposed to juice all the time.  At some point the metal gets tarnished and then power is wasted at the contact.  In any case, I probably would not buy one of those particular ones because I don't like big atomizers.  Waiting for a better mini to come out.  Not everyone uses an 18650 tube.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:50:05 PM by CraigHB »

Offline rrtwister

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
If I were to buy one, I'd mod it somehow to remove the spring and make it a hard screw-down contact.  Spring contacts are no good at all.  Lots of corrosion and oxidation builds up on the metal being exposed to juice all the time.  At some point the metal gets tarnished and then power is wasted at the contact.  In any case, I probably would not buy one of those particular ones because I don't like big atomizers.  Waiting for a better mini to come out.  Not everyone uses an 18650 tube.

I always had doubts about the spring loaded connection  :thumbsdwn2:

Online jomurp

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
There is nothing like a screw and washer for a tight sure connection

Offline lazydog

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
I have read a few posts on other forums where people like the spring connections as they can do a rebuild without using tools,but to be honest I rebuild in my den so tools are not a problem and I prefer a solid connection.But I have a spring on my MMV shorty Did but it is between the bottom nut and the second nut and the coil feed is made between the second and third,the spring is there just to stop the middle nut coming loose and creating a weak connection. 

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
somebody gave me today a couple of wires and I am not sure if I am just to thick on ohms law of just pretty dumb with numbers :)

currently I ve been rebuilding on thick wire from 32ga-35 ga I think...not sure since wires here are not sold by gauge..
crazy country right? well if anyone can spot them on google and be able to tell from photos that great...wires are called bakero,and forgot the other names...

so..i am comfortable on that wire..i more or less know how to make it work..

Now I have like a very thin wire...like hairstrand thin...

in a regular build to get more vapor,more loops?or less loops?
planning to do microcoils...

thanks

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
It's probably metric.  It's only the US that uses gauges because unlike the rest of the world, we've not adopted the metric system.  32 AWG (American Wire Gauge) is .20mm which is probably the most popular size of wire.  If you have some calipers, you can measure the wire and see what it is.  It's actually an inexpensive tool.  You can find them for like 10 USD on eBay; link

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »
somebody gave me today a couple of wires and I am not sure if I am just to thick on ohms law of just pretty dumb with numbers :)

currently I ve been rebuilding on thick wire from 32ga-35 ga I think...not sure since wires here are not sold by gauge..
crazy country right? well if anyone can spot them on google and be able to tell from photos that great...wires are called bakero,and forgot the other names...

so..i am comfortable on that wire..i more or less know how to make it work..

Now I have like a very thin wire...like hairstrand thin...

in a regular build to get more vapor,more loops?or less loops?
planning to do microcoils...

thanks

The thinner wire requires less turns (loops).
If you are not sure of the gauge and amount of turns, use an ohm meter to measure a length of the wire before cutting it and allow for the length to connect it to the screws. I use NR wire welded to the ends so the piece I cut will be the exact ohmage that I measured.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »
I actually did a crazy build the other day on a chi era,
not sure exactly what ohm they are,will not after a week after my meter is replaced by wife...

what I did was put the 35ga wire side by side with the thin stranded wirethen built it like a microcoil..10 loops,i am guessing its sub ohm since the vape is completely warm and I am running on like a 3.7 battery plus the switch goes hot so I am guessing that's more of a short,re did the whole thing and added more loops///now its really nice...
5 loops more...looks crazy thou...

between the did and the era,a dripper and a genny fro some weird reason I can taste that genny taste better in a way not sure why...
ive been a dripper whole my life thou,,,

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: RBA Questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx