gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 07:06:12 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: 510 Battery Connectors
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 510 Battery Connectors  (Read 36788 times)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
510 Battery Connectors
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
Best price I've found these is here: http://www.shop.goodprophets.com/product.sc?productId=88&categoryId=38. $0.99 if you buy 10 or more, $3 shipping.  Came out to $1.29 each delivered.  :rockin smiley: I'll let you guys know the quality when I get them in.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: 510 Battery Connectors
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
I've bought them from GP before. No different than MadVapes. Same quality

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
Good to know.  The description says the new style is shorter then previous ones, which, of course, leaves more room for guts.  I guess I'm hooked...

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
I dremel off most of the underside anyway leaving a small lip

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
Hmm...gonna have to try that.  Good thing I bought 10, I'm probably going to end up destroying at least one.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Do you guys prefer the press in / epoxy version instead of the connectors with a threaded body and a nut?
http://www.avidvaper.com/510-modders-connector/

I can see where each has a place, but I hate relying on epoxy for a mechanical connection like this.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
I'm a fan of the press in type.  I solder on metal, epoxy on plastic.  My goal is to save as much money as I can over smoking, and I like to build things, so the price per part needs to be as low as possible without sacrificing quality.  At $7 each, those connectors are a little pricey for me.  But I can absolutely see the advantage over a permanent attachment.

Offline cccsteel

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
Do you guys prefer the press in / epoxy version instead of the connectors with a threaded body and a nut?
http://www.avidvaper.com/510-modders-connector/

I can see where each has a place, but I hate relying on epoxy for a mechanical connection like this.

+1 for the press-in type

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »
-1 for the press in type, hate glue.

Offline mick8844

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
 Well Guys I have a good question,

I amworking on a vv vw tube mod that I would like to have the ego style connector on. lots of people using evod and the like. That saidI have not been able to find one. mad vapes list the ego battery top that includes te button. I want something more like the top of an vamo. so it will take 510 and ego devices both. Got any Ideas.

Mick8844

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
Your best bet is to use one of the 510 connections and this: ADAPTER - 510 TO EGO.  All the Ego connections I've seen have the button. I use these for my MT3s, works awesome.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
Well Guys I have a good question,

I amworking on a vv vw tube mod that I would like to have the ego style connector on. lots of people using evod and the like. That saidI have not been able to find one. mad vapes list the ego battery top that includes te button. I want something more like the top of an vamo. so it will take 510 and ego devices both. Got any Ideas.

Mick8844

You can cut the connector just above the hole for the button with a dremel cutting wheel
eGo Battery Connectors

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:37:03 PM by Breaktru »

Offline dezyner

510 Battery Connectors
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
anyone know where to score 510 connectors cheap? thanks in advance

Online breakstuff

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
anyone know where to score 510 connectors cheap? thanks in advance

How about Madvapes: http://www.madvapes.com/diy-parts/connectors/510.html?p=1

Offline kaddigart

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
The OP's link still has the best price as long as you buy 10 or more. If you only want a couple then Madvapes is the cheapest.

Offline mick8844

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Well, I guess I will tell the group what I use when making a mod that has a 510 and ego threads. I use an 510 to ego adapter, not only is it a lower profile than the ego top cap and button one but you can also put a nut on it to secure it in your box or top cap. It works fine and I like it better than the type sold as an ego top from madevapes etc.

Offline eris667

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Best 510 for a box mod?

The one I have is this:
http://www.boggerboxmods.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=92

I am looking for a few more...

Offline Brian9523

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
Well, I guess I will tell the group what I use when making a mod that has a 510 and ego threads. I use an 510 to ego adapter, not only is it a lower profile than the ego top cap and button one but you can also put a nut on it to secure it in your box or top cap. It works fine and I like it better than the type sold as an ego top from madevapes etc.

Is this the one that you are using Mick? 510 to eGo adapter and what size thread nut do I need?

Offline mick8844

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
It is a 7mm .5 pitch Not easy to find but it can be done. I bought a tap and a die so I make my own. It works great and is easy to solder the leads too as well neg. to your nut and pos. right in the middle of the addapter. Now that I have thetap and die I am making most of my own connectors but still use these ego type when the need for ego threading. I am not sure where I bought the first nuts I used but where ever it was I found it online and just did a search for haedware,7mm nuts.

mick

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »
If you have any old eGo cones laying around, it's pretty easy to pop the nuts out of them.  Just hit the nut from behind with a pin punch and a light hammer.  I have some I removed from a handfull of old eGo cones I had from the early days of vaping when I used a 510 cartomizer.  I use them to make my own beauty rings for my wife's eGos.  Those nuts will work perfect for cinching down the eGo connector in a box mod, probably look better than a hex nut too.

Offline mick8844

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
I guess I am not sure what Chb is talking about. but what I am talking about is using an 510 to ego adapter. The 510 threading will go in a hole in your box and be secured by a nut in the INSIDE of the box. No-one would see it there so it doesn't matter if it is a hex or a ring  or what shape it takes. It is again the Male 510 that goes in the hole in your box and is secured by a nut on the inside. solder a neg wire to the nut, and a pos. wire to the middle of the addapter. On the out side of thebox what you will be looking at is a ego/510 threading much the same as all of the vv,vw devices come with but it will be exposed not down in a well. In my case I build a black delrin drip well that goes around it too but you don't need that for it to look good and function. I hope this is more clear, Chb's post just sounded like it was making more confusion on this simple subject. the nut you need is not ego threading but 510 which is 7mm .5 pitch.
peace
mick

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Maybe I'm confused, I thought reply #11 was talking about using the 14mm threads on an eGo connector to secure the connector into the box by putting a nut on the front.

I can see where you could use an eGo adapter and cinch it down with the 7mm threads on the battery connector side.  You can do that with a 510 to 510 adapter as well.  In that case, you have an actual eGo connector on your mod (but I don't see that as any benefit)  Just need some 7x.5mm nuts but those are sort of like hen's teeth.  Certainly not found easily.  Pretty easy to make them with a tap and some metal stock.  The taps are not a whole lot easier to find either.  It's a really odd size they use, but that's because of the 9mm diameter of the 510 battery the connector was designed for.

Offline beamrider

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
Awhile back when my wife was on a Kanger T3 kick, I had to replace the 510 connector on her Bolt, so I decided to use an eGo-510 adapter as the connector.  Tapped the bolt for 7x0.5 threads,  added a drop of Loctite, and we were off to the races.  I was actually surprised at how well it worked out.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »
Well they finally started selling Stainless Steel 510 connectors. The center pin is nickel plated brass so it can be soldered. Unfortunately the negative can not be soldered because it is SS. Recommended mounting is to press fit it into a metal enclosure to complete the ground path.
AVID VAPERS

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
They'll hold up a lot better in terms of thread wear.  I saw in the other thread here where people were discussing how to solder SS, I've never tried it, well not successfully.  One thing that might work is to press it into a brass or copper tube, then solder that instead.  It was kind of a waste making the press-in ones out of stainless since most people don't press their connectors.  They should have done an SS version of the modders connector with the nut.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
They'll hold up a lot better in terms of thread wear.  I saw in the other thread here where people were discussing how to solder SS, I've never tried it, well not successfully.  One thing that might work is to press it into a brass or copper tube, then solder that instead.  It was kind of a waste making the press-in ones out of stainless since most people don't press their connectors.  They should have done an SS version of the modders connector with the nut.

Yeah should hold up to wear and tear. Just too expensive for the size of it. If I ever get one in the future, I'll try the torch, flux and silver solder.
Good idea with the copper or brass sleeve if the soldering don't pan out.

I press in my fittings anyway. I always drill a size smaller and slightly file before pressing it in. Still I back it up with epoxy.

Offline Madyicstik

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »

Offline Iamthebadass

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Highdesertvapes has solid press fit 510s, they are much better quality than the madvapes ones, but they are $3 a pop.

Offline kaddigart

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:48 AM »
I guess I am not sure what Chb is talking about. but what I am talking about is using an 510 to ego adapter. The 510 threading will go in a hole in your box and be secured by a nut in the INSIDE of the box. No-one would see it there so it doesn't matter if it is a hex or a ring  or what shape it takes. It is again the Male 510 that goes in the hole in your box and is secured by a nut on the inside. solder a neg wire to the nut, and a pos. wire to the middle of the addapter. On the out side of thebox what you will be looking at is a ego/510 threading much the same as all of the vv,vw devices come with but it will be exposed not down in a well. In my case I build a black delrin drip well that goes around it too but you don't need that for it to look good and function. I hope this is more clear, Chb's post just sounded like it was making more confusion on this simple subject. the nut you need is not ego threading but 510 which is 7mm .5 pitch.
peace
mick

This is what I use mostly here lately. I get 1/4 inch nylon fender washers from Lowe's (less than $1US for a pack of 6-8, can't remember exactly) and tap them out to thread up perfectly. For the ground I use a ring wire connector (also 1/4 inch bored out so that it threads to the eGo connector) between the washer and enclosure wall. Very cheap, and I haven't had one break or loosen up yet.

I've done the same with standard zinc plated nuts, but the are very hard on the tap I had to order from China. I'd imagine they will outlast the nylon, but have had no problems with either.

Offline memoevapor

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
This is what I use mostly here lately. I get 1/4 inch nylon fender washers from Lowe's (less than $1US for a pack of 6-8, can't remember exactly) and tap them out to thread up perfectly. For the ground I use a ring wire connector (also 1/4 inch bored out so that it threads to the eGo connector) between the washer and enclosure wall. Very cheap, and I haven't had one break or loosen up yet.

I've done the same with standard zinc plated nuts, but the are very hard on the tap I had to order from China. I'd imagine they will outlast the nylon, but have had no problems with either.

Do you have any pictures of these ??

Offline blkbd

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
Hello to everyone :wave: I'm lousy at circuitry but fabrication is my skill. I'm gearing up for my first mod build and do prefer a threaded connector and the 510 flush mount give a beautiful clean look and if they built a threaded version I'm sure it would sell. But as to using epoxy there is a alternate way that I believe will work just fine and that method is using a starwasher aka speed nut aka push nuts and so on. Just trying to give back for all the noob qustions I'll ask about diodes and capacitors.   

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:20:38 PM by blkbd »

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: 510 Battery Connectors

gfxgfx
gfx gfx