gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19851 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild April 19, 2024, 05:00:00 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Holy crap...I think I bit off too much...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Holy crap...I think I bit off too much...  (Read 29295 times)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
  • That which doesn't kill me...better start running.
Holy crap...I think I bit off too much...
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
So, I finally got all the component I need for the .44 mod.  Unboxing was like a kid at Christmas...until I realized how small so many of the components were.  freaked_out: I'm gonna fry me some electronics!  fainting: And Mouser FedEx service is hella fast, by the way.  Pics when (if) I get a working unit.

Offline fsors

• PV Master
Re: Holy crap...I think I bit off too much...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »
Very cool .44 mag boom boom ........looking forwaed to your build keep usup to date :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave:

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »
Way 2 go Phestr! Glad to hear you're doing a new mod. I look forward to hearing about your new trip into .44 land :)

You'll do great  :thumbsup:

Online elzakivis

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
Nice  :rockin smiley: - Good luck with it  :popcorn:

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
...until I realized how small so many of the components were.

Yes, electronic components can be shockingly small these days.  Electrical paths in chips can be as narrow as about 10 atoms in width now.  They're saying they'll have to move to quantum logic to reduce things any further.  Quantum logic being the state of individual atoms.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
Well, i got the caps and resistors soldered onto the 4050C, using a combo of Dave's schematic and raceengine's pics.  Then I ran out of time, had to hit the sack.  As soon as I get home from work, I'll get the switch (tactile) and pot going.  Hopefully, I didn't fry the 4050C, and I'll be vaping on a .44 this evening.  Maybe I'll post a pic of the innards, but it's not pretty, I can tell you that much.  I def need a btter soldering iron, or need to pick up some paste.

They're saying they'll have to move to quantum logic to reduce things any further.  Quantum logic being the state of individual atoms.

Yeah, I know for a FACT I ain't soldering that.  The PMOS you reccommended scared me half to death, it'll be a while before I try to build a SideXSide with that tiny tick looking thing.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
Below is the bottom view of the board I use in my mods.  You can see the smallest stuff I'm soldering by hand now is chips with .5mm pin pitches and 0603 SMD components.  Those are 1.5mm x 0.8mm.  I have to use a 10x stereo microscope to solder that stuff.  If they reduce the size of packages smaller than that, I won't be able to build stuff by hand anymore.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
WOW Craig! That is one board that is tiny and has a lot of stuff on it. Don't know how you do it. Do you have like a soldering iron with a "tiny" tip?

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
Yeah, Craig, you're the man.  I got mine together, but no no matter how many times I turn the trimmer, it's stuck at 3.9 volts.  I have the battery charging, to see if It comes out higher on a full charge, but I must have bypassed the 4050C somehow...or blew out something on it.  Taking a hiatus until my 200ohm trimmer come in for the Evercool.  I think I'll stick to circuit bosrds and larger enclosures (and mechanicals) for a bit.

BTW...How much would you charge for your 18650-D mod? 

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 03:37:04 AM »
Do you have like a soldering iron with a "tiny" tip?

Yes, I use a .015" conical tip with .015" wire solder and a Kester #186 flux pen. 

That's one thing where I a disagree with the guy on EEVBlog that did the soldering tutorials.  He really pans the fine conical tips, but his problem is the Hakko fine conical tip he has really sucks.  I've tried that one and it does suck big time.

The Weller fine conical tip works really well.  I actually had trouble finding a Hakko tip that works well, not too happy with the Hakko tips in general.  I use a WESD51 Weller station mainly.  The Hakko station I have is a FX888D and it's a really nice station, but the tips just don't work as well as the Weller tips.

BTW...How much would you charge for your 18650-D mod?

I don't actually build these mods to sell them.  I build them for myself and I've given a few to friends, that's about it.  Problem is it takes me too damn long to build one since it's all assembled by hand.  It's not really worth my time at any reasonable price.  To take orders, I would have to have them mass produced on a line and it's a pretty big deal to do something like that, mostly a matter of money, but also logistics. 

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
I don't actually build these mods to sell them.  I build them for myself and I've given a few to friends, that's about it.  Problem is it takes me too damn long to build one since it's all assembled by hand.  It's not really worth my time at any reasonable price.  To take orders, I would have to have them mass produced on a line and it's a pretty big deal to do something like that, mostly a matter of money, but also logistics.

I completely understand. I have a couple hobbies that are like that. The amount of time it takes for one piece, I'd either short change myself on the labor, or no one would be able to afford it.   It really is like give art.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
Below is the bottom view of the board I use in my mods.  You can see the smallest stuff I'm soldering by hand now is chips with .5mm pin pitches and 0603 SMD components.  Those are 1.5mm x 0.8mm.  I have to use a 10x stereo microscope to solder that stuff.  If they reduce the size of packages smaller than that, I won't be able to build stuff by hand anymore.

It's just simply genius  ;hubba;

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
I agree B.

@Craig.. I looked up both of your soldering stations and they are both really nice. I have an archaic simple soldering iron that just plugs into an outlet. I found some stations on Amazon for around $20.00 and I think I'm going to get one of them when I can. I realize that it won't be as good as yours, but you have to start somewhere. I also have limited funds. 8)

Just had a thought... wish they made a wireless one, lol.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:46:43 AM by jumper »

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
Well, if you ever see a wireless soldering station, then somebody figured out how to do what Tesla was trying to do all those years (wireless power grid). 

I've seen variable temperature soldering pencils that plug in the wall.  If one takes a high quality tip, then it would do the job well enough.  However, you need the pencil component to be light and easy to handle especially when working with small electronics so that would actually be a hinderance.

Hopeully you'll be able to get something decent.  Maybe you can find a used one for cheap on eBay.  It's mainly about the tip and the ability to control temperature.  Cheap no-name stations don't take quality tips so I don't know if that's going to be much advantage over a $10 pencil.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about the tips being the important part for a soldering iron. While I'm looking, I will pay more attention to that. Can you tell me what makes a high quality tip so I know what I'm looking for? I saw on eBay where there were some people just selling tips, but I don't know enough about it. Guess I could Google it and find out some info.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread Phestr. Hope you don't mind. You can always throw another post in there and bring it back  :yes"

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
It's all yours, bro.  I gave up on that little thing.  I think I'll go the Evercool route, and stick to circuit boards and larger enclosures for now.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
It's all yours, bro.  I gave up on that little thing.  I think I'll go the Evercool route, and stick to circuit boards and larger enclosures for now.

Is there something we can help you with Phestr?

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »
Well, I wired it all up according to the diagram, but no matter how much I turned the trimmer, I was getting a constant 3.9 our of a 14500 Flames.  Not sure where I went wrong, but it was very frustrating.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
Well, I wired it all up according to the diagram, but no matter how much I turned the trimmer, I was getting a constant 3.9 our of a 14500 Flames.  Not sure where I went wrong, but it was very frustrating.

If you post a close up photo with several views front and back, We maybe able to help you

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »

Here's one pic, let me know if you would like to see other angles.  Any help you could give me would be awesome, since I have 2 more of these and would really like to get them installed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:38:13 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
I am assuming you used the same component values as shown in the schematic.
 I can't see the board pin 2 connection under the heat shrink and the Pin1 to clearly. Different angles may help and if possible a little closer.
I maybe wrong but what I could just about make out is that the solder looks like it was melted on to the pins and parts which could be a source of a cold solder connection. The solder should be melted by the part and not the iron.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »

Dave, I have no doubt you are right.  I have a crappy soldering iron, a crappy helping hands, and this is my first time soldering anything this tiny.  The messiness was a main reason I didn't post pics sooner.  But I figured, "What the hell, everyone started somewhere, right?"  Could the cold joints be the problem?

Offline Learfx

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
It's hard to tell from those pictures but It looks like you have all the pins of the pot hooked up.... Not sure it's supposed to be that way.  try disconnecting pin 3 on the pot and see if that works. 

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
Dave, I have no doubt you are right.  I have a crappy soldering iron, a crappy helping hands, and this is my first time soldering anything this tiny.  The messiness was a main reason I didn't post pics sooner.  But I figured, "What the hell, everyone started somewhere, right?"  Could the cold joints be the problem?

It's not really that messy at all. I've seen a lot worst. You are absolutely correct, we all started somewhere. Practice makes perfect.

Before getting into the possibility of a cold solder connection, have you used that type of pot before? It maybe a multi turn pot which requires a lot of turning to adjust the output voltage.

What value resistors and pot did you use?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
It's hard to tell from those pictures but It looks like you have all the pins of the pot hooked up.... Not sure it's supposed to be that way.  try disconnecting pin 3 on the pot and see if that works. 

It's okay to use all three pins. Either diagram will work the same.

By using two pins tied together:
 If the potentiometer fails for some reason (age, poor quality, dirty, etc.)? If the wiper (which is the rotating part of the component and probably most prone to failure) shorts out, it will let the full amount of signal through. By attaching lug 1 to lug 2, we are building in a “fail-safe.” This ensures that the circuit is never completely open—there will always be some resistive path in case the wiper goes south.

Online Jerseybob

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
I agree w/ breaktru about the multi-turn pots. I had a 21 turn pot and is a pain to adjust. It took many turns to see any output difference. Never again. I only use single turns now.

Online michamer

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »
I think your board looks pretty good and neat. Perhaps a better solder device such as a solder station will help with your soldering.
Be careful with too much heat. It can damage the board.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Hi Phestr, You're right about one thing... we all have to start somewhere. You're much farther along than I am. I can only do plain mods without any circuity, so you're way ahead of me. So you can always say that there's someone who knows less that you do  :laughing2:

Offline Learfx

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
It's okay to use all three pins. Either diagram will work the same.

By using two pins tied together:
 If the potentiometer fails for some reason (age, poor quality, dirty, etc.)? If the wiper (which is the rotating part of the component and probably most prone to failure) shorts out, it will let the full amount of signal through. By attaching lug 1 to lug 2, we are building in a “fail-safe.” This ensures that the circuit is never completely open—there will always be some resistive path in case the wiper goes south.

I didn't know about being able to do that... Cool.   
In Phestr's  reply # 20  it looks like pins 3 & 2 are connected...   Would it be safe to say that pin 1 is cc rotation,  pin 3 cw rotation and pin 2 the wiper?  So you can connect one of the other pins to the wiper pin?  Guess I'm confused.

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
Before getting into the possibility of a cold solder connection, have you used that type of pot before?
What value resistors and pot did you use?

I've never used a pot before, but it is a multiturn 100k. The resistors are 15k between pin 3 and 4, and a 4.7k between the pot and pin 3.

In Phestr's  reply # 20  it looks like pins 3 & 2 are connected...   Would it be safe to say that pin 1 is cc rotation,  pin 3 cw rotation and pin 2 the wiper?  So you can connect one of the other pins to the wiper pin?  Guess I'm confused.

If this is true...it is entirely possible that I have been turning it the wrong way.  :wallbash:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
I didn't know about being able to do that... Cool.   

Pin 2 or center pin is always the wiper. Incrementing resistance causes lower output voltage and visa-verse. So what I do is put an ohm meter on my pins and turn the pot knob clock-wise to make sure the resistance is decrementing. If not, I reverse the pins.
Most trimmer pots don't have pin numbers. 2 outside legs and 1 center.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
I agree w/ breaktru about the multi-turn pots. I had a 21 turn pot and is a pain to adjust. It took many turns to see any output difference. Never again. I only use single turns now.

I had the same problem w/ a 21 turn trimmer pot. Takes forever to adjust.
A multi-turn trimmer pot is better for fine tuning output voltage compared to a single turn. Perhaps a 4 turn pot would be better. Though I still like my single turns.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 06:37:42 PM »
I've never used a pot before, but it is a multiturn 100k. The resistors are 15k between pin 3 and 4, and a 4.7k between the pot and pin 3.

If this is true...it is entirely possible that I have been turning it the wrong way.  :wallbash:

The part values are correct.
Put a voltmeter on your output and turn like hell and see what happens.

Offline Learfx

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Pin 2 or center pin is always the wiper. Incrementing resistance causes lower output voltage and visa-verse. So what I do is put an ohm meter on my pins and turn the pot knob clock-wise to make sure the resistance is decrementing. If not, I reverse the pins.
Most trimmer pots don't have pin numbers. 2 outside legs and 1 center.

I know this is a guess on my part but I was going by the diagram on this page. http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3296.pdf The pot that he's showing in his pictures looks similar... I'm assuming this diagram is pretty close to what he's using. I could be totally wrong though. I don't remember Phestr posting detailed information on the pot he was using,  he may have and I just missed it.  :)

Offline Phestr

• SteamDwarf
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »
The numbers for the legs are inscribed on the pot itself.  I just got a 1S-6S that I'm going to wire tonight into a module.  As soon as that is done, I'll hook this thing up and try again.  Thanx for all the info, guys.  I'm gonna feel super stoopid if I was just turning it the wrong way, but at least it's a simple thing and I did the work right. 

Here's the trimmer I used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300938323432. It looks like it's a knockoff of this: http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3296.pdf.  25 turns...man, that's alot.  But for trial and error work, I didn't want to break the bank.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
I know this is a guess on my part but I was going by the diagram on this page. http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3296.pdf The pot that he's showing in his pictures looks similar... I'm assuming this diagram is pretty close to what he's using. I could be totally wrong though. I don't remember Phestr posting detailed information on the pot he was using,  he may have and I just missed it.  :)

Yes, sorry. my statement about pin numbers would hold true for non multi-turn pots. With the diagram shown in the datasheet I am assuming that Pin 1 & 2 should be tied together so when turning clockwise your output voltage increases. I would still double check w/ an ohmmeter just to make sure.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »
The numbers for the legs are inscribed on the pot itself.  I just got a 1S-6S that I'm going to wire tonight into a module.  As soon as that is done, I'll hook this thing up and try again.  Thanx for all the info, guys.  I'm gonna feel super stoopid if I was just turning it the wrong way, but at least it's a simple thing and I did the work right. 

Here's the trimmer I used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300938323432. It looks like it's a knockoff of this: http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/3296.pdf.  25 turns...man, that's alot.  But for trial and error work, I didn't want to break the bank.

Yes that trimmer is a 25 turn pot. Requires a lot of turning to adjust

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Holy crap...I think I bit off too much...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx