gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 29, 2024, 01:05:49 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Please bear with me...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Please bear with me...  (Read 4977 times)

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
Please bear with me...
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
hi,

So I finally decided to pick up modding again...
last mod I made was the evercool mod with a small variation on the casing...

please bear with me,i have a little knowledge in electronics,but very interested in learning some more...

now,what I wanted to do was mini booster thing...
I do understand how it kinda works and everything..
since I want this to be my final everyday mod.i am going to be a little bit ambitious.

so I wanted to do the touch mosfets or touch switches,planning to do 2 for up and down..
then again I don't really understand how to do it and what part do I get,specially form TI,since they are free :)

and can I use like an old school pot?
last time I built my evercool,tantalum caps came from old appliances..
now I really don't have the time to go thru the junkshop again and find them..
what can I do for a substitute?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: Please bear with me...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
Use aluminum electrolytic caps.  They're inexpensive and they perform well enough.  The tantalum caps only offer space savings as an advantage.  They're more expensive and don't perform any better.

You can use a MOSFET to provide a touch switch.  There's some threads here on how to do that.  You really can't just salvage any ol' MOSFET.  You need one with a particular set of specs.  It's not an expensive part, maybe a US dollar at the most.  Here's a good online electronics supply in your country;

http://ph.mouser.com/

If you want push buttons for voltage control you can't use an "old school" pot.  You need a digital pot that accepts direct tactile inputs.  There is only one I've ever seen and it's in a thread here on how to do that.  It's not a common part.  Digital pots almost exclusively use a data bus for control.  That requires a microcontroller which requires an advanced level of electonics design.

In general, I recommend against salvaging parts.  Modern electronics are not designed to be soldered more than once.  My feeling is it's not worth saving a couple dollars to risk failure of your circuit.  That's going to cost more parts and more time to rebuild and if the failure fries an expensive module, you just spent a lot more.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
Use aluminum electrolytic caps.  They're inexpensive and they perform well enough.  The tantalum caps only offer space savings as an advantage.  They're more expensive and don't perform any better.

You can use a MOSFET to provide a touch switch.  There's some threads here on how to do that.  You really can't just salvage any ol' MOSFET.  You need one with a particular set of specs.  It's not an expensive part, maybe a US dollar at the most.  Here's a good online electronics supply in your country;

http://ph.mouser.com/

If you want push buttons for voltage control you can't use an "old school" pot.  You need a digital pot that accepts direct tactile inputs.  There is only one I've ever seen and it's in a thread here on how to do that.  It's not a common part.  Digital pots almost exclusively use a data bus for control.  That requires a microcontroller which requires an advanced level of electonics design.

In general, I recommend against salvaging parts.  Modern electronics are not designed to be soldered more than once.  My feeling is it's not worth saving a couple dollars to risk failure of your circuit.  That's going to cost more parts and more time to rebuild and if the failure fries an expensive module, you just spent a lot more.

as for the salvaged parts..
well only reason i was salvaging them cause before i was no part of this forum and basically no tantalum caps to buy in local stores...

for mosfets..
well what is the part number in TI?planning to take advantage of that...i think they are offering mosfets too...
that's for touch switch,,,right???haven't seen anyone using that here so id like to try it...
any instruction for the non educated ones like me?
i spent like 2 days already reading here on how to make them work on a pv...but either i am too dumb for it???

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
TI makes some of the best stuff, but they have a limited range on MOSFETs.  Most of them use a leadless flat pack which is a bitch to solder by hand on a circuit board and pretty much impossible without one.  The best makers for leaded MOSFETs I've found are Fairchild and Vishay.  There are more brands than you can shake a stick at, but those two seem have the widest range of leaded MOSFETs.

You should be able to find the threads on touch switches in this forum.  Threads are relatively easy to find here since it's not a particularly large forum.  You can find good part numbers in those threads.

The threads here have thourough explanations on how to use these parts.  There's usually lots of Q and A in them.    If you don't understand something, post a specific question in the relevant thread and I'm sure you'll get an answer for it.  Vague generalities like "I don't get it, please explain it to me" really won't bear you any helpful information.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Please bear with me...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx