gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 07:06:48 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Help with rapping a coil on a RBA
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help with rapping a coil on a RBA  (Read 27002 times)

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
Help with rapping a coil on a RBA
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Hi everyone. I did a search on this and as always I get too much information, so if you'll forgive me, I will just come out and ask my question. Someone gave me a cheap "COV NewGen Atomizer" and I'm having a difficult time getting it to work good. Here are some of the things I would like to know.

1. After you put liquid in the tank, are the coils supposed to still light up?
2. I get sh*t for vapor... may be connected with question 1
3. It has a very small air hole. Would it be better to drill it out?
4. And lastly, my Vamo doesn't like it at all. Gives error 9.9 when checking ohms (guess I should get my meter out, duh)

Any help at all would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:02:36 PM by jumper »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
Re: Help with rapping a coil on a RBA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
answers are not specific to product but generally for all rba/rda/

coils should not glow or light up..
they will only light up if the juice is not going to the wick,or pretty much dried up.

well 2nd queston is connected with 1st.. :)

airholes,will be your preference,,,usually though larger airholes would mean huge vapors,but a bit of sacrifice on flavor...
i had mine drilled 3mm,no afc thou so when i want a smaller airhole i just put tape on it...

on the vamo,well,i don't really put my meter out unless i don't have the vamo,i basically use it from batt check to ohm checks...
9.9 error usually mean you are have a short on the coils,either the coil is touching the base or oner of your coils is touching the post.

what kind of coil are you running spaced out?
if yes try poking them a bit,they should not glow evenly,
and also the wire might be wrapped too tight on the wick not allowing the juice to flow..

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
answers are not specific to product but generally for all rba/rda/

coils should not glow or light up..
they will only light up if the juice is not going to the wick,or pretty much dried up.

well 2nd queston is connected with 1st.. :)

airholes,will be your preference,,,usually though larger airholes would mean huge vapors,but a bit of sacrifice on flavor...
i had mine drilled 3mm,no afc thou so when i want a smaller airhole i just put tape on it...

on the vamo,well,i don't really put my meter out unless i don't have the vamo,i basically use it from batt check to ohm checks...
9.9 error usually mean you are have a short on the coils,either the coil is touching the base or oner of your coils is touching the post.

what kind of coil are you running spaced out?
if yes try poking them a bit,they should not glow evenly,
and also the wire might be wrapped too tight on the wick not allowing the juice to flow..

Thank you Zeus for the help. I just checked my coils again and the bottom coil had a hotspot. I fixed it, but the Vamo still gives me an error. But I can use it on my plain 3.7 mod I made. The factory hole is 1.5mm. I will probably use a small drill and make it a little bigger. I'm not sure what kind of coil I'm using because it came with the RBA and they didn't say.

I "think" I might have it now and just need to drill the hole bigger. I'm going to do that and let you know how it comes out.

Again, thanks. I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:04:28 PM by jumper »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
I just got through drilling out the air hole. It's a little bigger than I should have made it, but it's certainly changed the vapor production. Now that I have it working better, I will put some better juice in it and see how it does.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
Thank you Zeus for the help. I just checked my coils again and the bottom coil had a hotspot. I fixed it, but the Vamo still gives me an error. But I can use it on my plain 3.7 mod I made. The factory hole is 1.5mm. I will probably use a small drill and make it a little bigger. I'm not sure what kind of coil I'm using because it came with the RBA and they didn't say.

I "think" I might have it now and just need to drill the hole bigger. I'm going to do that and let you know how it comes out.

Again, thanks. I appreciate it.

yup drill the holes out and if possible align it to be directly infront of your coil to increase vapor even more.

as for the coils,well,those are probably stock made ones,just try tightening the post a bit see if that helps.

as for the vamo error.have you used it with any other atty?
just to rule out that its not broken..
also check the positive post as well,vamo has a known issue that the positive post sinks and does not connect properly...thou mine does not have these

if its bigger that what you have wanted,a small tape should do the trick or putting your finger there :)

let k=me know how it turns out i will help as much as i can.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
yup drill the holes out and if possible align it to be directly infront of your coil to increase vapor even more.

as for the coils,well,those are probably stock made ones,just try tightening the post a bit see if that helps.

as for the vamo error.have you used it with any other atty?
just to rule out that its not broken..
also check the positive post as well,vamo has a known issue that the positive post sinks and does not connect properly...thou mine does not have these

if its bigger that what you have wanted,a small tape should do the trick or putting your finger there :)

let k=me know how it turns out i will help as much as i can.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I need it because it's my first RBA, lol. And yes, they must be stock coils. The RBA actually came pre-wired but I didn't like the way it was performing and did a new coil. It got better in some ways, worse in others. Hotspots keep coming back and I have to mess with it much more that I think you should. Today I had hotspots on the top and bottom coil. I got rid of the bottom hotspot, but it seems like the top one keeps coming back after I fix it.

About the Vamo, I can use the tank on my vv eGo mods with no problem. I'm guessing that they don't have the circuitry to check things like the Vamo. I'm guessing this is what you mean by trying a different atty.

I will check the positive post when I write this. I still have a little wire sticking off the positive and negative posts. I'll trim those off just in case it's giving me problems. When I worked it the last time, I found out that the positive post needed to be screwed down a little more because the wire came off of it when I was messing with it.

Thanks about the tape idea. I will probably need to do that because the draw is much too airy now. I'm going to chance juices when I finish here so I'm comparing apples to apples. I'm using an iClear tank on my Vamo and it's working just as good as the RBA. The videos I've seen on YouTube show that the RBAs get considerably more vapor than other tanks. Mine does not.

Will let you know how things turn out when I work on it again in just a moment.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
**wall of text**p.s can you take a photo?so we can see atleast?
i have a suggestion but this need to have a constant tension to work...

reason why hotlegs appear is because of uneven tension...and bad spacing...

now,things to try,
either you poke around until you have resolved your hotspots,
check on the post if coils are too close to it,,

or grab a big nail,wrap it there as if it was silica,reason for this since you are wrapping it on a nail,tension is much constant,tehn dry fire see if glows rright,then insert the silica,which could be tricky,,,but a little loose is ok as long as silica is touching all coils...

or.applying even tension..
wrap the wire ti the coil touching this time,,,
something like this ////
compared to normal coil / / /

try contact coils..
this might help you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/389074-micro-coil-rba-your-reo.html

i generally endorse this method
1 less of a hassle in dealing with hot spots.
close to 0% of gettting one..

thou on a vamo,i suggest your target ohm should be above 2ohms..then have the airhole directed at the coil itself..

as for the airhole,well if you get it right,you might actually leave it as it is to reduce the increased th...

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
Thanks man... Sorry for the delay, but I had to help my lady with some housework. I've heard of people wrapping the wire around things like nails before and I think I might give that a try.

will get back to you when I have more information...

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
I just re-wired another coil using the "nail wrap" technique you talked about. It was still tough but I have it working now with no hotspots. It will have to break in a little more, but for now it's doing good. However, it's not really doing any better than before. I think that I just got too cheap of a RBA. Should have got something like the AGA-T2 or something.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »
I just re-wired another coil using the "nail wrap" technique you talked about. It was still tough but I have it working now with no hotspots. It will have to break in a little more, but for now it's doing good. However, it's not really doing any better than before. I think that I just got too cheap of a RBA. Should have got something like the AGA-T2 or something.

do not worry mate,no rba is too cheap,my igo-l is cheap even cheaper is a china era,both of which can out perform any high end rba,and given day.

what gauge of wire are you using?
what ohm reading does it read now.

now,if you have no hotspots,that sounds great,now air flow,,,
to maximize vapor...try aligning the airhlole to the coil,,you should see the coil on the airhole itself.do not cover it up yet.

a photo would help a lot, :)
try microcoils...way way easier than spaced out coils...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:17:15 AM by zeus17 »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
do not worry mate,no rba is too cheap,my igo-l is cheap even cheaper is a china era,both of which can out perform any high end rba,and given day.

what gauge of wire are you using?
what ohm reading does it read now.

now,if you have no hotspots,that sounds great,now air flow,,,
to maximize vapor...try aligning the airhlole to the coil,,you should see the coil on the airhole itself.do not cover it up yet.

a photo would help a lot, :)
try microcoils...way way easier than spaced out coils...

Thanks for your thoughts on cheap RBAs. Makes me think there's some hope, lol.

I don't know what gauge wire came with the tank. To me, it looks pretty small, but appears to be like the ones I've seen on YouTube. I usually use the Vamo to check ohms. I'm not real sure how to check the ohms on a meter. Can you give me some help with that? I put the meter on the ohms setting and connected the wires to the positive and negative posts. It showed .01 ohms. I don't think that can be right.

I know about aligning the air hole to the wick, so I got that part right. I'll try to make a picture in a little bit. I'm looking at micro coils right now on YouTube.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
don't loose hope...believe me its worth the trial once you got it pinned down i guess we need to do it step by step...

first on your current build..
no hotlegs right?
no wicking issues?

try to align the airhole first,
see if performance improves...

as for ohm checking..
the one i am using is either my vamo or the digital ohm checker,with the 510connection...so i guess i cant help that much...
usually i trust what the vamo reads...

does the vamo read your at all?what ohms?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
I'm trying not to lose hope :) I just remembered that I have some more wire in my stash somewhere. Let me find it and try doing another coil. Then I'll answer your questions...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:14:04 PM by jumper »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
if no more wires,,recycle...
hehehhe i do it always.

not sure if it has reprecautions thou.

i just straighten them out and wrap a new one...

but if you do get a wire,,here is a short instruction on how to do a microcoil
get something like a precision screw,a small nail ..

do this,,,

if you have a torch torch the wire until it glows,careful not to torch yourself.
this removes some springiness.

now on the the nail leave like half an inch or so,or just enough for you to hold the wire and the nail together..

wrap the wire around the nail as tight as you can..
as to the numbe rof loops,if its thin wire see if you can do 7 loops or to whatever the wire can,
then mount to the rba/rda

remove nail dry fire until it glows,then pinch with pliers so they compress some more.
when compressing,the mod should be off,or not firing..

then insert wick...

see if that works...

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
do this,,,

if you have a torch torch the wire until it glows,careful not to torch yourself.
this removes some springiness.

now on the the nail leave like half an inch or so,or just enough for you to hold the wire and the nail together..

wrap the wire around the nail as tight as you can..
as to the numbe rof loops,if its thin wire see if you can do 7 loops or to whatever the wire can,
then mount to the rba/rda

remove nail dry fire until it glows,then pinch with pliers so they compress some more.
when compressing,the mod should be off,or not firing..

then insert wick...

see if that works...

Oops... didn't read your message good. I touched the coil "after" I wound it around the nail. I did a 6-5 wrap on the coil, no hotspots. This time it's producing less vapor than before, sigh. What affects vapor the most? I wonder if I'm not winding the coils tight enough?

On YouTube, after people get through making the coils, they get tons of vapor.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:09:39 PM by jumper »

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
wait...
you have something there no more hotspots right?
what device are you using?
can the vamo read it out?
what ohms?
ideally your coils should be like this

///////

close to each other right?

now less vapor?
hmm...
how about taste? and th?

airhole is it aligned?
can i see a pic?pretty please?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
wait...
you have something there no more hotspots right?
what device are you using?
can the vamo read it out?
what ohms?
ideally your coils should be like this

///////
close to each other right?

now less vapor?
hmm...
how about taste? and th?

airhole is it aligned?
can i see a pic?pretty please?

I'm trying to use it on my Vamo, but I always get an error (9.9) and with what you said, I guess the ohms are not high enough. I don't know what gauge wire I'm using, but it's looks like what you have in the picture.

The taste has been good on some wraps but on others it will have a metallic taste. TH is good when I can use my eGo winder. One thing I noticed is that I have to keep screwing with the coil after I already have it right and I'm vaping. I don't know if this is because the coils are too lose or what :( And my coils are not always close together. The 7-6 wrap is the most I've been able to get on the coil so far.

Yes, the air hole is aligned and it makes a difference on the amount of vapor. I'm going to have to wait and get my lady to take a picture, but will have one as soon as I can. She's good with a camera. I take blurry pictures.

I've run out of wire. I still have some old ones left but they have been cut off and I couldn't get more wraps on it. I'm going to try and use the wire off of one of my Nova replacement wicks. Had to take a break before I threw the RBA against the wall, lol.

If I understand you right, it's the number of wraps that affect what the ohms will be... right?

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
Extra info: I use an iClear on my Vamo. The heads on the iClear are 2.2 ohms and I run it at 4.2 volts. So far, it has been out performing the RBA with vapor and TH.

Here's a long awaited picture

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
I'm trying to use it on my Vamo, but I always get an error (9.9) and with what you said, I guess the ohms are not high enough. I don't know what gauge wire I'm using, but it's looks like what you have in the picture.

9.9 errors on a vamo means usually for my gennya nd drippers means either my coils is not monted tight,
a part of the coil is either touching the base/post or the top cap..
check any of these if none please indicate,also check with another topper if it measures out,just to rule out that device ain't broken..

The taste has been good on some wraps but on others it will have a metallic taste. TH is good when I can use my eGo winder. One thing I noticed is that I have to keep screwing with the coil after I already have it right and I'm vaping. I don't know if this is because the coils are too lose or what :( And my coils are not always close together. The 7-6 wrap is the most I've been able to get on the coil so far.

metallic taste has usually a couple of  things that cause is either the coils are not broke in yet,

too solve this pulse the coil,
pulsing is basically firing until it glows,turn off,then turn on again until it glows.
tanks are ss,so not really cleaned yet.

ss mesh.well,not sure how to solve that,,oxidize it somemore?

for the fidling part,check if its secure on the post,
specially if your positive post are those like small nuts they tend to move around,

for getting the coils close,pulse then squeeze with tweezors or pliers,
fire until it glows,let go of the fire button then squeeze...repeat a couple of times,

Yes, the air hole is aligned and it makes a difference on the amount of vapor. I'm going to have to wait and get my lady to take a picture, but will have one as soon as I can. She's good with a camera. I take blurry pictures.

[/i]
no worries only reason i ask for them so i can see where is wrong?if there is any,english is not my first language so pictures do best :),hahahha as for blurry photos i get those too much on my own,same reason i got a good phone camera with auto focus :) [/i]

I've run out of wire. I still have some old ones left but they have been cut off and I couldn't get more wraps on it. I'm going to try and use the wire off of one of my Nova replacement wicks. Had to take a break before I threw the RBA against the wall, lol.

[/i]thats unfortunate,ive recycled a couple of wires from my bad coils batches so far it works out...taking a break actually helps ,i know the feeling,if the aga did nto have pyrex i probably threw it in,wi=hich i actually did with my did clone first time i had it... [/i]
If I understand you right, it's the number of wraps that affect what the ohms will be... right?

yes and no,...

yes the number of wrap ideally dictates the ohms but there is also a factor  of gauge   of the wire,
example my 40mm wire 10 turns would only be 0.9ohms..
but my 32mm 10 turns is about 2+ ohms...
same diameter,1/16" drill bit.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:18:15 PM by zeus17 »

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess you missed the picture. I think we were posting at the same time. I just got a note from someone else that said that the coils should still glow even with juice in the tank. I've been trying to not make it glow when juice is in the tank so maybe that's my problem.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Extra info: I use an iClear on my Vamo. The heads on the iClear are 2.2 ohms and I run it at 4.2 volts. So far, it has been out performing the RBA with vapor and TH.

Here's a long awaited picture

cool looking genny looks heck of a lot better than my aga..
now disregard everything first

well from the photo looks like you are using ss mesh...which is probably the culprit of all your hassles,,,

the coils look actually great.
given that they are spaced coils,,

to troubleshoot.
one
wick holes are they insulated? if not then that is probably the reason why you are getting 9.9 on the vamo,ss mesh shorts the whole darn thing... :)
and plus the metallic taste
resoultion;
a one the wick needs not to touch the base sorry if i did not see those clearly,
next if the wick hole does not have insulation,better to re oxidize the ss mesh
as for oxidization,i can;t help you much on those,since i gave up on ss mesh a long time ago,plus i aint a fan of the genesis tilt.

for the actual coil those are neat for spaced coils really.

can you take the wick out?without destroying the coil if yes,
can you try putiing in the vamo and measure resistance?
and dry fire?see if you have hot spots..

if the vamo can measure and you dont have hotspots,coils are good,all you need is to fiddle with the ss mesh now,,

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
My two cents worth:
From the photo, at least it looks like....

The coil windings are touching the positive center post (A short or short of some of the windings) This will give you a low resistance coil reading, the coils that aren't touching will be very hot.

The coil windings are too loosely wound. You will get poor to no vapor.

As a beginner, you should carbonize the mesh before wrapping the coil to insulate it from a short. When you progress to extraordinaire coil builder you can fore-go the carbonizing.  Lately I have brushed my rolled up mesh tube against some cotton and form a very thin layer of cotton around the SS wick before wrapping the coil around it.

The coil wraps should be snug around the SS mesh but not so tight as to make it short. It's all practice, trial and error. Did you see the ZEN video I posted about "Adjusting Coil for Even Glow" ????

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
My two cents worth:

The coil windings are touching the positive center post (A short or short of some of the windings) This will give you a low resistance coil reading, the coils that aren't touching will be very hot.

As a beginner, you should carbonize the mesh before wrapping the coil to insulate it from a short. When you progress to extraordinaire coil builder you can fore-go the carbonizing.  Lately I have brushed my rolled up mesh tube against some cotton and form a very thin layer of cotton around the SS wick before wrapping the coil around it.

The coil wraps should be snug around the SS mesh but not so tight as to make it short. It's all practice, trial and error. Did you see the ZEN video I posted about "Adjusting Coil for Even Glow" ????

Hi BT, thanks for joining in. We decided to keep this public just in case it might help someone else down the road. Thanks for your observations. I will make sure I keep your suggestions in mind when I make the next coil. It's hard to know (or describe) the difference between having the coil tight or too tight.

Let me give it another shot and I'll post again. And no, I didn't see your video. Would love a link :)

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
My two cents worth:

thanks for that i failed to see that they are touching the positive post.
same reason why he is getting the 9.9 error.

Offline jumper

• Ultra Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
Ok folks, I finally got it. It's putting out tons of vapor and has a good TH.

Although the people who know how to do it right won't think that this is a big deal, for me it was a make it or break it understanding of how to wrap the coil. The trick is to make the coils tight around the mesh (thank you BT). But not only tight around the mesh, but keep it tight when you wind it around the positive and negative posts. I wrapped it once tight around the mesh but not around the posts and it sucked. So I redid the wrap and made sure it was tight all the way to the posts and that made all the difference.

Thanks to Zeus and all his help and BT too. I couldn't have done it without the both of you. I am now a happy Genny owner :)

Now I'm going to take a much needed break, LOL.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
Yeah..... and don't forget to thank Mr. Zeus for all his help.. Fantastic job Zeus

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
thanks for that sir bt,:)
i am not sure iif i did help :),I was blabbering most of the time I think.

but hopefully all 3 of us was able to help someone who is too shy to post and just lurk around.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Atty/Carto/Tank/Rebuildable  |  Topic: Help with rapping a coil on a RBA

gfxgfx
gfx gfx