gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 12:39:17 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Wire Arc Welder LM2577 Circuit Help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wire Arc Welder LM2577 Circuit Help  (Read 28435 times)

Offline dezyner

Wire Arc Welder LM2577 Circuit Help
« on: October 29, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
Breaktru, thanks for the instructable on the interweb, used it to make myself a cheapo diy welder for a while, but the welds aren't that great, and it's just a half attempt, all i really did was run the leads and clips off the cap, and it works, and I use ejuice me up every time i make my diy, so huge thank you for both, great stuff. have to ask the guru for some help tho. I got tired of welding and rewelding on the fly with my disp cam flash, so I got me the parts to do a real welder. I picked up an led for it, so i can see what it is set on rather than the counting, trial an error gig. Been reading all the threads, and just can't seem to tie it all together. I am a visual guy, so I can read schematics, but applying them isn't my forte.  Could anyone help me figure out how to wire this all up, I spent most of the entire day yesterday trying to figure it out on my own before I decided to break down and ask for help. pretty much like asking for directions, nobody does it until they are totally lost generally. here is a graphic of what I am working with, and my father in law helped me build a sweet little wooden build box to house it and atties and mods. anyways, help? please? maybe?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:12:53 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Wire Arc Welder Circuit Help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
Thanks dezyner glad I could help.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that the LM board is a "real welder" or a better welder. It's just a different way of doing it.
It seems crazy to dedicate an 18650 battery for an LM board when you could use a free AA battery and a free flashboard plus the free caps from other cameras.
Did you add the extra caps on the welder for the Flash board?

Anyway, I added the wiring for your drawing that I attached below with a N/O pushbutton............
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:02:00 PM by Breaktru »

Offline dezyner

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
far out man. I'll show you a pic of the box we made for the housing when I'm done. the flashboard is getting the job done, but i am no means saying the LM is better, just seems easier to go with theLM board. i am not the most experienced electronic guy, so the LM was a little easier for me to figure out. i don't even remember what camera this flash came out of, and following ins and outs of the circuit was "challenging" for me. all I did to the camera flash board was run some jumpers onto the Cap legs, and zapped. sometimes the charge is too much, so I thought I could control the specs with the Pot meter on the board, and hopefully get some stronger welds this was to boot.

no to the extra caps on the old one. the 650's was just because i have three I never use, figured i would put them to work. lol

got a question or two now after looking at this real quick.

will the version with the Norm Open momentary switch, increase the voltage the longer held, and that voltage will show on the LED?

and is the 470 resistor the same one you spec'd in the instructables version? the one I got from Digi Key is marked YAGEO 1315 10w 3 R6 J?

lol, you dah man, thanks, will post up pics when i get done. really really appreciate the time you took to help me. thank you. cheers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:30:05 PM by dezyner »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Okay dez, got ya.
Just so you know, the capacitance value and voltage setting is important for a successful weld no matter what welder you are using. Sounded like you were just using one cap on the F.B. which doesn't work well.
My Spark-O-Matic flashboard welder has a Digital Meter so I know when to stop the charge to reach my welding voltage.

Good luck with your build and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed

Offline dezyner

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^

couple quick questions on the thread above, i edited, as i read, vapers are not the most patient folks on the planet....lol

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

got a question or two now after looking at this real quick.

will the version with the Norm Open momentary switch, increase the voltage the longer held, and that voltage will show on the LED?

and is the 470 resistor the same one you spec'd in the instructables version? the one I got from Digi Key is marked YAGEO 1315 10w 3 R6 J?

lol, you dash man, thanks, will post up pics when i get done. really really appreciate the time you took to help me. thank you. cheers.

The LM board has a trimmer on board to set your output voltage. You can hold the PB until you reach the trimmer set voltage or stop holding it for a lesser voltage. I think it would be best to set the trimmer to your desired voltage. Some of the LM boards come in 35V max and a 60V max output. And yes you will see the voltage on the meter.

I don't know what that resistor part is. You may have written wrong but the resistor can be a low value. It's there to protect the LM board when applying the short from the wire being weld. I think some of the guys are also using a 3.6 ohm. I don't get why they are using a high wattage like a 10W when the circuit is only something like 200ma. A half watt is plenty.

You mentioned "in the instructable version". I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
cool. thanks. got yah. sorry if I confused you with someone else, I just always see you associated with DIY calculator and these diy welders, you are pretty much the one I associate with it. sorry, wasn't meant as a DIS. thanks much, will report back. thank you again. most helpful.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
wired up, get the led reading, adjust the POT meter to the voltage, all works well, but no spark.?????  the LED and board read, no shorts, or blown fuse, I even switched out the 4700 cap with a 1000 cap i had just to see if the part might have been bad before I got. going to post this picture up and see if anyone can see what i did wrong. i think I made a mistake, but i followed the diagram as close as i could. will try again tomorrow, hopefully somebody sees my glaring, bone headed mistake(s).  thanks very much in advance.

Offline katrev

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:41 AM »
From my past experience the lm board + 1x18650 is the weakest ( and it's logic why) . The flash camera board works ok if you control the voltage applied, and the most reliable is the 24V one,wich i used now (ironically the simplest one to build).

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:39:49 AM »
wired up, no spark.????? 

It's hard to tell in the photo but it looks like you have the diode backwards. Which would prevent voltage to the positive welding lead. A 1A diode such as the 1N4002 (100v) or equivalent would be fine.
Also.. is that a resistor between the on/off switch and the battery? It's suppose to be a FUSE. Remove the resistor and place a fuse.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
the diode faces away from the board, black ring on it indicates polarity, so polarity should be going out, away from the board towards the lead...... it is a small 2 amp fuse between the switch and battery box..... the rectangular resistor is wired after the diode coming off the out+ on the board.....????  the first one I built that I gave to someone had the resistor on the  IN + before the fuse between the fuse and the battery lead, not after the diode as I did it. ?????
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:12:24 PM by dezyner »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
the diode faces away from the board, black ring on it indicates polarity, so polarity should be going out, away from the board towards the lead...... it is a small 2 amp fuse between the switch and battery box..... the rectangular resistor is wired after the diode coming off the out+ on the board.....????  the first one I built that I gave to someone had the resistor on the  IN + before the fuse between the fuse and the battery lead, not after the diode as I did it. ?????

Then it is wired correct. The diode black band is facing toward the welder lead. Perhaps the diode is bad/opened. Take your voltmeter and place the neg lead on the neg connections and with the positive lead check both sides of the diode.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »
that was it, thank you sir, i got some time in this thing...lol. luckily, i bought extras. i will give it the old switcha-roo tonight, thanks again.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
that was it, thank you sir, i got some time in this thing...lol. luckily, i bought extras. i will give it the old switcha-roo tonight, thanks again.

dez, I've seen that you posted my wiring on ECF. The advise that you got about moving the resistor was incorrect.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »
i posted there before I had heard back from you, i didn't think it would be a problem, i wasn't trying to do anything except get input and information.  this thread and that thread are the two I have found with the most info and experience. what about the resistor in the circuit is at question and conflict, if the circuit works both configurations, it's just a question of deciding between the two functions isn't it? ? all I am trying to do is figure out the circuit.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
i removed the wiring/circuit pics and welder pics. there are lots of circuit diagrams out there, I didn't realize it would be a problem. I only posted those because i thought maybe someone else that was visual could use it and it might help them. I didn't think it would be a problem, so if it was, I apologize. was not my intention.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
so now i am confused and feel bad simultaneously..... was better off when it was just the diode.....

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
If your diode burned out the first time, it will most likely happen again. The diode you used from the other guys instructable was a 200ma diode. I previously suggested that you use a 1N4002 which has a 1A / 100V rating.

The reason I put the resistor where it is, is to protect the LM board when the leads are shorted and not the cap like the other guy said on ECF.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
ok, replaced the diode, board fired up, got a small weak spark, but then the LM board went dark, replaced the fuse, that aint it, checked the new diode, it's good, no clue other than maybe the board died on one small spark? i have a diode i scored at radio shack that is IN4004. but the diode is good, the board has no power... did I fry the board? i left the resistor just where you said on the scheme, didn't go with the ECF stuff.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
board is good, took the pos and neg from the batt box, skipped the switch and fuse, it powers the board. so it is either the switch or the fuse. eliminating one of those two variables now

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
That's good. Use your voltmeter to determine what's open. What rating is the on/off switch?

The 1N4004 is good. It's also a 1A but has a higher 400V Rev voltage

Offline dezyner

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
10 a 125 v rating on the switch for the power from the 18650 to board

Offline dezyner

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
switch is good, it was the fuse. and it wasn't just one, i have 1 bad out of the box, and one that was in today that went bad. glad i bought 3 of them. they are 2 amp fuses, did i buy them too small?

Offline dezyner

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »
that was it, 2 bad fuses, new one in worked, and third zap, and blew the third one. so i need a bigger fuse?

Offline dezyner

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
and even when i connect the switch with no circuit fuse, the spark and weld is really really weak, almost non existent, set at 42 volts.....

Offline dezyner

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
have to head off to the electronic supplier here in town in a little bit, need to score some fuses. any suggestions on size ratings that would work better than the 2A that keep blowing? anything else I should pick up besides fuses? I thought that the 4700 CAP would be better than the 1000 i had used before, but this is a really really weak spark, and I replaced the diode i was using with the 4004 but the weld is non existent with that as well. I have some spare (3X) 1000 CAPS, should I be using one or more of those instead of the 4700 CAP?

Offline dezyner

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »
i don't get it, no spark, and when/if it does spark, no welds at all.....? bummed.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
I would like you to put a voltmeter across both welding clips and see if the voltage matches your Panel Meter.
With a 4700uf cap only around 24v is needed. 42 volts should have given you a big snap.
The guys have been using the 2A Slo fuse like the one you have. It shouldn't have blown.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
the meter matches the on board LED as well as the display LED i have.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
It the meter at the leads match then that is puzzling.
Try it without the resistor and see if it zaps good.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
yep. sparks with no resistor

Offline dezyner

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »
might be worth note, this resistor was used/specd/bought from the build on the webz on instructables, and was wired into the IN+ of the LM board.....

Offline dezyner

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
gotta run to the store to pick up some fuses, should I pick up a new resistor as well? 470 ohm resistor?

Offline dezyner

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
yep, even welded a wire without the resistor....get a new 470 ohm resistor or use none?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
gotta run to the store to pick up some fuses, should I pick up a new resistor as well? 470 ohm resistor?

Try 3A fuses. Some guys use the 3.6 ohm and some use the 470 ohm. Did you try it without any resistor?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
Try 3A fuses. Some guys use the 3.6 ohm and some use the 470 ohm. Did you try it without any resistor?

Pick up a 470 ohm 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt and put it between the cap and board (+). This may help stop blowing fuses as it may help suppress the initial current surge to charge the cap.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
picked up a 470 ohm resistor, put in the scheme same as before, nothing, take the resistor out, zaps and sparks fine. popped another fuse with it. without the resistor, no problem.... not sure why, but that resistor in line like it is, doesn't work, but if you take it out of the scheme, it works fine. i even got another 9 volt harness to keep the 18650 LI out of the equation, so should work now i believe.

the 470 resistor and the big rectangular one i got from Digi key, don't even look anything like each other. that, and like i mentioned in the previous posts, they "diy how to" i followed before had this rectangular resistor schemed in to the LM boards IN+. position....

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
The rectangle resistor is a big ass 10W. It has a resistance of 3.6 ohms. It may limit some current flow by putting it in the In+ if you like to try it or try what I said above with the 470 between the cap and the Out+

Note: People stopped using the resistor in the input

Offline dezyner

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »
i actually did try the route you said,  between the +out and the CAP, less sparking and weak welds....so i just took it out, and it works fine with the resistor....so i have no clue why, but, since it works like this, i am leaning towards running with it.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
good pop/spark/weld, no resistor, blew another fuse. going to try the resistor on the IN+ and see what happens.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 03:52:25 AM »
ok. mission accomplished, kinda. it works, no fuse and no resistor, for now, but I got it working, and put together today. many thanks for the help Break, appreciate it. wanted to post this up, it was a worthy cause. I am digging my new build box. welder and ohm reader, with room for supplies. i'll try and figure out the fuse and resistor later. digging it for now. thank you sir.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:57:26 AM by dezyner »

Online dennis15

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:37 AM »
Really nice looking box. Tell your father-in-law well done.

You gotta get some fuse protection before you blow out the board. Did you try the 3A like break suggested? How about putting an ammeter between the battery and the board input to see what it is actually drawing.

Online Squance

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
 :thumbsup: the box came out rather well. Personally I would have used the flash camera circuit. It works super if you have the right caps and volts setting.

Offline dezyner

Re: Wire Arc Welder LM2577 Circuit Help
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
thanks, i like it. turned out really nice, and it only took a week all tolled....lol. the LM board was easier for me to deal with, and it's not really expensive, so, meh, I'll take easy over trying to figure out a flash card. one was just way easier for me than the other.

yep, I did try a 2.5 amp fuse, didn't have any 3A fuses to use. It just keeps blowing them, so, no fuse and no resistor, for now. i can grab some 3 amp fuses, but if it is blowing 2 a and 2.5, wouldn't it make more sense to step up the fuse more than small incrememnts. also would like to try and figure out why this doesn't work with or use a resistor?...and i have no clue how to put an ammeter between the battery and the board to see what it uses. and is that under load when welding, or just powered up? thanks all.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
I was thinking about the circuit again today. Remove the diode and place a momentary (N/O) push button there. Wire the cap to the (+) weld lead. The push button should go to the Out+ and the other end to the cap and (+) weld lead. I was reading up on the LM2577 and shorting the output can damage the board (touching the weld leads together). This way the board won't be continually supplying voltage when you are welding. Possibly why you are blowing the fuse. Also put the fuse back and do NOT use any resistors at all.
I'll re-do the circuit diagram in a bit.

Offline dezyner

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
i went and bought a 3amp inline replaceable, removed the resistor, and have been shutting the button off when welding, but yeah, i was going to add the momentary N/O in since I had it, figured that would make the break I needed when welding instead of shutting the power button off right at the weld.. It works good. but would be nicer if I wasn't shutting the off switch. was wondering if a diode after the board would keep it from shorting? current goes one way, can go back to the board? wouldn't keeping the diode and putting the Mom N/O after be better? just asking? thanks man.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Yes using the N/O PB is sufficient and you wouldn't need the diode or have to shut power. The charge from the cap would be going directly to ground thru the resistant / NR wire.
As an added feature you can add a discharge PB and resistor like I did with the Spark-O-Matic

Offline dezyner

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
visuals help, lots. lol. if I can see it, i can "get it". plus, at this point, I am not looking forward to opening this wire harness back up.... like this?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:19:56 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »
See the change I made --> HERE

I am going to delete your drawing so not to confuse anyone

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: Wire Arc Welder LM2577 Circuit Help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx