gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 09:24:43 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: stacking batteries
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stacking batteries  (Read 11855 times)

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
stacking batteries
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
so i was reading another forum and a guy made a post about a 6.8phm coil on a mech with stacked batteries
http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1plm1u/i_created_a_monster/

now everyone says its a big no no,which i guess on a certain degree i would,not because of blowing my face up,but more of the hassle of keeping track to sync charge them

also even on  the vamo which has all protection necessary,most people there would discourage stacking,
for me stacking 2 18350's give out a better vape than 1 18650..

so what the real deal on staking?
I seek information here since this sommunity has a lot of seasoned vapers,when ice tea bags were great an 6v vaping with cr123's are cool.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
Re: stacking batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:32:54 PM »
It's not the stacking, but the batteries used to do it.  The RCR123A cells are meant to replace the CR123A primary batteries and are the 3.2V LiFePO4 type of Li-Ion.  These are only rated for 1C and are severely overloaded when used to power an atomizer.  So, they tend to blow up in your face.  This is where stacked batteries get a bad rap.  The same thing could happen if you used one of those batteries single.

Stacking IMR cells is no more hazardous than running them single.  However, with 7.4V nominal, you need higher resistance.  A 6.8 Ohm coil would result in a power consumption of about 8 Watts which is actually pretty low.  I'd probably use a resistance that gets me around 15 Watts which would be about half that.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
It's not the stacking, but the batteries used to do it.  The RCR123A cells are meant to replace the CR123A primary batteries and are the 3.2V LiFePO4 type of Li-Ion.  These are only rated for 1C and are severely overloaded when used to power an atomizer.  So, they tend to blow up in your face.  This is where stacked batteries get a bad rap.  The same thing could happen if you used one of those batteries single.

Stacking IMR cells is no more hazardous than running them single.  However, with 7.4V nominal, you need higher resistance.  A 6.8 Ohm coil would result in a power consumption of about 8 Watts which is actually pretty low.  I'd probably use a resistance that gets me around 15 Watts which would be about half that.

i am sorry to sound thick,
but lets say more common brands so others can easily ofllow specially us not that battery knowlegable.

if i had a pair of efest or aw imr 18350 or i18650 and stack em up on a mech,i deally i should be running atleast a 2 ohm build to maximize wattage per say,which i think is what sub ohms do,on a single cell,

and on a regulated mod everything should be fine?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
We're talking about mechs.  For a regulated mod, the output is going to be as set regardless of input voltage.  Of course, whether you can use stacked cells or not depends on the mod.  If you tried to stack cells in a Pro-Vari, you'd fry the electronics, expensive mistake.  If you tried to use a single cell with a home brew mod using a step down regulator, it wouldn't run.

With a mech, power consumption is always going to be the square of battery voltage over atomizer resistance regardless of whether that voltage is 3.7V or 7.4V.  Coil construction does make a big difference in vaping performance, but power quantifies heat.  The heat produced will be in terms of voltage and resistance.  That's regardless of whether it's a higher voltage with a higher resistance or a lower voltage with a lower resistance.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
We're talking about mechs.  For a regulated mod, the output is going to be as set regardless of input voltage.  Of course, whether you can use stacked cells or not depends on the mod.  If you tried to stack cells in a Pro-Vari, you'd fry the electronics, expensive mistake.  If you tried to use a single cell with a home brew mod using a step down regulator, it wouldn't run.

With a mech, power consumption is always going to be the square of battery voltage over atomizer resistance regardless of whether that voltage is 3.7V or 7.4V.  Coil construction does make a big difference in vaping performance, but power quantifies heat.  The heat produced will be in terms of voltage and resistance.  That's regardless of whether it's a higher voltage with a higher resistance or a lower voltage with a lower resistance.

i do agree with you on a mech,point of view,
since i remember those times a full charged 4.2 battery needed a hv atty...

now on the regulated mod,so are you sayiong on a vamo i am slowly killing my circuitry by using 2 efest batteries stacked?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
No, Vamo is designed to use either stacked or single batteries.  You get a little better efficiency with stacked batteries since it bypasses the booster, but a good ICR 18650 cell has a lot more charge capacity than two IMR 18350's.  Personally, I'd go with a high quality ICR 18650 battery on the Vamo and only use an IMR 18350 for the single cell short configuration.  The reason they give you the option is so you only need to stock one battery size for both the long and short configurations.

Offline zeus17

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »
No, Vamo is designed to use either stacked or single batteries.  You get a little better efficiency with stacked batteries since it bypasses the booster, but a good ICR 18650 cell has a lot more charge capacity than two IMR 18350's.  Personally, I'd go with a high quality ICR 18650 battery on the Vamo and only use an IMR 18350 for the single cell short configuration.  The reason they give you the option is so you only need to stock one battery size for both the long and short configurations.

wow thanks for this,this is very enlightening,i shone away from icr cells since i am not sure about the safeness on them.

efficiency wise
will 2 icr 18350's be better than 2 18350's

only reason i am asking this is because i really feel the efficiency of 2 18350's compared to 1 18650 imr..
will such be the case?

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
Bigger batteries have higher drain limits so you can use an ICR 18650 in an advanced mod.  The mod's electronics will protect the battery from short circuits, overloads, and over-discharge so you don't have to use a protected cell in one.

For the 18350 size, only use IMR cells.  Drain limits are too low for an ICR 18350.  They're not suitable for use in an e-cig.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Battery  |  Topic: stacking batteries

gfxgfx
gfx gfx