gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 28, 2024, 11:26:53 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Source for quality 510 connectors?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Source for quality 510 connectors?  (Read 135438 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: Source for quality 510 connectors?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
Well I'm happy to hear it can be done.
Now if he can get them for 2 bucks, I would buy some

Offline Visus

• PV Master
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
I have had a huge success with vinegar lol  yep vinegar
I solder lipo tabs in tiny droplet puddle of it,   as well as the ss 510 connectors.

Makes for a good weld after initial clean up and scuff
paper towel with vinegar and dab of flux keeping the solder area moist with vinegar, solder and wallah' good weld.

:thumbsup:

Offline kurtus

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 02:28:26 AM »
Yep, I can confirm what bap is saying. I just finished my dna20 mod and used a drawtube cap for the build. Used a good Kester branded acid flux paste and regular lead free solder.

60 watt soldering iron, a mini torch(yeah this may have been excessive but i had a free hand lol) throw some flux on there and let the solder flow tinning the connector first then quickly solder a tinned negative lead wire to it.

Offline Romelee

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:31 PM »

Dave:  510 battery connectors I pay $0.50 each and shipping is $12.50.  If those are the connectors you are looking for, message me.  You can also get the bung and cup seals.

Eric

Offline beamrider

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Not sure how good these are: http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005381/1589801-stainless-steel-flat-top-cap-for-chi-you-king-mod

See, that's the deal.  If that was actually stainless, I'd consider it.  I find the Chinese consider "stainless steel" a term relating to finish tho, and not composition.  I'll bet it's plated brass, or aluminum.

Offline Erck89

• Elixir Mixer
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
Hell, for $5-10 apiece, I'd surely be in for at least 20.

Beamer:  I'll look up the info and send it, and a picture of the connector as soon as I can find it.  should not be to hard, it has only been 4 or 6 weeks since they arrived.

Eric

Offline bapgood

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
See, that's the deal.  If that was actually stainless, I'd consider it.  I find the Chinese consider "stainless steel" a term relating to finish tho, and not composition.  I'll bet it's plated brass, or aluminum.

The chi you ss caps are ss

Offline bapgood

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
And the moment you have all been waiting for.....quality looking ss connectors for about $5  cant_believe:

I have some coming, but haven't actually used them.

Bulk ordering available, pics are better on the ebay listing - price is better on the site

Fatdaddyvapes Mechanical Mod Complete 510 Thread Repair Insert Kits | eBay

SHOP - FatDaddyVapes.com - Home of the best vaping equipment, eliquids, and supplies!!!

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Very good bap, nice find. Thanks.
Unfortunately for me being an all American, I don't have metric drill bits or taps

Offline bapgood

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
Very good bap, nice find. Thanks.
Unfortunately for me being an all American, I don't have metric drill bits or taps

I only have one metric drill bit and I tap metric all the time.....Xmm/25.4 and then I find the closest drill bit :D

This place has pretty good prices and pretty good selection of taps, the quality seems pretty good also I use them on ss/brass/aluminum all the time. http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Metric-Taps/1310.html

Offline bapgood

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
So I got my fat daddy 510 connectors.

It's a little harder for me to compare to other aftermarket offerings because I gave up them without using them and just made my own.

In general I think they will serve must modders pretty well. They are a little longer than I hoped, but that is probably due to their intended use as a replacement.

One out of the 6 connector I ordered the inside 7mm x 0.5 threads are a little out of square to the rest of the connector, the rest were fine.

Also one out of the 6 connector I ordered the inside 7mm x 0.5 threads were closed off at the atty end. Likely due to the lead in chamfer, a tap or a little grinding is needed just to open up the end thread.

Oh and I don't like how the nut won't thread on over the delrin piece, I will grind this down a little.

If you want to use the nut to mount the connector they recommend a 9.5mm hole, which just happens to be very close to 3/8"

I like to tinker and I dislike both the fixed and adjustable connectors I have seen. So I have started using a 20a PCB spring loaded contact probe for the center pin, the pins are rated at < 10mOhms - http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=101402-000virtualkey53060000virtualkey818-101402-000

Below is modifications with a drill and Dremel to add in the use of the spring pin.

So initially I drilled out the delrin piece to accept the spring pin. It worked, but with the pin at the height I like it the end of the pin didn't extend from the end of the connector. Which isn't necessarily an issue, a wire could be soldered to the end of the pin and installed into the connector.

But because I'm me, I took it a little further. I cut down the connector and further modified the delrin piece, so the end of the spring pin stuck out a little.

Below are the some pics.

Here is what my actual plan was for the fat daddy connectors, and I think it turned out pretty nice. I got a little carried away cutting down the ss body, next time it will be a little longer and delrin piece a little shorter, but the pin will stay in the same place.

Basically I made a brass collar with a couple of slits in it to solder to the pin, then I made a delrin piece that the pin presses into. I set the pin location so it makes contact from about 0.130" to 0.200".

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:24:10 AM by bapgood »

Offline Mandro

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
That looks great bapgood. The spring pin is a great idea.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
Nice going. It does look great. I will most likely have to cut them down also. What did you use to cut SS?

Offline breakstuff

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
Impressive. Well done bap  :rockin smiley:

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
Very beefy looking.  The center pin is a great idea.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »
Nice going. It does look great. I will most likely have to cut them down also. What did you use to cut SS?

Typically I just use my lathe. But on the first example I wanted to show it could be done without a lathe. So I chucked an old carto into my cordless drill and then screwed the connector on to the carto, then put a cutoff disk on my dremel stylus.....Then I ran the drill with my left hand and cut it off with the dremel in my right hand. You don't have to cut it off while turning it with the drill, I have just found its easier to cut straight and then you can also easily grind a little tapered lead in on the end after its cut off.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the pointers Bap.
Just opened my mail. Received 3.

Before I attempt to pop out the pin and insulator, anything I need to know before destroying anything?

Offline bapgood

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »

Before I attempt to pop out the pin and insulator, anything I need to know before destroying anything?

Not really....the 10mm outside threads are sharp....my fingers have a few cuts on them  :laughing2:

Offline bapgood

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »

Actually they don't pop out, both are threaded.

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »
As bap said, everything is threaded - the center pin is threaded inside the insulator and the insulator is threaded inside the connector.  So simply unscrew to take apart.

I just sent a contact to fatdaddyvapes and asked him if a 510 connector was doable similar to these thread repair kits.  I also sent him the link you gave bap with the adjustable spring loaded center pin.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
As bap said, everything is threaded - the center pin is threaded inside the insulator and the insulator is threaded inside the connector.  So simply unscrew to take apart.

I just sent a contact to fatdaddyvapes and asked him if a 510 connector was doable similar to these thread repair kits.  I also sent him the link you gave bap with the adjustable spring loaded center pin.

You should also send him a pic of the brass collar. It makes it much easier to deal with instead of the little nub collar low on the pin.

Also when I make my own connectors I use 9mm x 0.5 pitch threads on the outside of the connector and make a nut using 7/16" brass hex stock and usually make a 1/2" to 5/8" diameter brass washer to solder the negative wire to. Because its kind of a pita to try to solder to the nut and then try to get a tool on it, or try soldering after its installed.

These were some I made with a brass threaded sleeve and screw for adjustment (pita!!!) but it show the other stuff I mentioned above.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
Thanks mamu, unscrew.. DOH.
The link for the spring was baps find

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »
Mamu

By chance was the request you sent to FatDaddy, the Craig's 510 connector?

Offline mamu

• PV Master
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 05:20:56 AM »
No, I asked if he would modify the 510 thread repair kit that he makes.

He got back to me and said:
I designed that to actually be a fit-all kind of insert. You can thread it
using an M10X1.5mm tap or use the brass ring to tighten it if the surface
is not thick enough. It can also be grinded from the top or the bottom as
needed.

I actually made a floating pin design but the spring that my manufacturer
keep on using looses tension with heat. So we dropped the product. i will
try to redo it and see where it takes us.

I will let you know.

Thanks for the support.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
Some requests were made on ECF on how they could make the brass collars with typical modding tools.

So here is a little how to for making the brass collar with a drill and Dremel

I didn't have 3/16" OD x 1/8" ID tubing so I used some 0.160" OD x 1/8" ID for the pics. I would recommend using something like this Brass Round Tubing, 3/16" OD, 0.1275" ID, 0.03" Wall, 12" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Start with cutting off a piece about 1" long. Chucking the tube in the drill and turning the tube with the drill and using an exacto knife makes quick work of deburring the end of the tube. Then I used a dremel carving bit to ream out the ID of the tube so the the pin just slides in snug. This bit just barely fit inside the 1/8" ID of the tube, so I put it inside the tube then started turning the drill and then turned on the dremel. An exacto knife or round file or etc would also accomplish the same thing.

Once I had the ID opened up I chucked the tube up with the amount I wanted turned down protruding from the jaws of the chuck. Turning the drill and using a cutoff wheel I ground down the OD of the tube, using the face of the chuck jaws as a stop. This could also be done using a file or etc. I would probably recommend using a file after grinding it down to smooth and flatten the surface. I take this portion down to the same diameter as the collar on the spring pin.

Then I rechucked the tube sticking out a little farther so I could cut it off using the dremel with cutoff wheel. I start spinning the tube with the drill and start in back a little bit with the dremel and work forward until I get to the spot I want. I do this because the dremel will bounce around a little bit starting. There are probably other more accurate ways to cut it off.

Once its cut off, the end was burred. This cleans up easily with an exacto knife.

Then I use the dremel with cutoff wheel to cut a couple of slots to solder the collar to the spring pin. I will probably buy some higher melting temp solder to use to solder the collar to the pin, that way I don't have to worry about it coming unsoldered when I solder on the wire to the end.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:09:42 AM by bapgood »

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Bap

Nicely done! Any thoughts of possibly using part  of a two piece solid brass grommet? I've seen them in 1/8 inch size.  Might save a bit of time.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
Bap

Nicely done! Any thoughts of possibly using part  of a two piece solid brass grommet? I've seen them in 1/8 inch size.  Might save a bit of time.

I'm sure there are several ways to make them. So whatever works for you is the best way IMO.

3/16" OD on the collar flange seems like a good size and still allows for a decent amount of material for the insulator.

The ones I made in the below pic, I made on my mini lathe using 3/16" solid rod.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Thanks for the info Mamu

I'm wondering if CraigHB would have objection to inquiring if Fat Daddy would be interested in having his design manufactured? I've tried several shops and everybody seem to want an arm & leg.  At the prices they've quoted I can see why China get a lot of business.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
The grommets were just food for thought for anyone looking to go that way. As they say more than one way to skin a, well you know! I like the looks of your lathe turned collar,  but then I don't have a lathe! Yet!

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »
Yeah, it's crazy what machine shops charge for production runs, even the China ones.  I honestly don't know how people get stuff done that sells for such a low retail price.  There must be some kind of industry secret on how to get stuff made that cheap.  If you can get those guys to make them cheap, go for it.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
Very Good! I'll see what he thinks. I'll let ya know when I know.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:10 AM »
Fat Daddy said he won't know anything till after the Chinese holidays over. Probably a week or two.

Offline dannyboy

• Puff Master Pro
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Fat Daddy said he won't know anything till after the Chinese holidays over. Probably a week or two.

Thanks LF for the inquiry. Keep us informed.  :thankyou:

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:05 PM »
Talked to Fat Daddy today! The 510 connector is in the works! I suggested a couple of changes base on Craig's experience along with an adjustable center pin. Looking forward to the Chinese proto-type and will let you all know when something shows up. ;cheers;

Offline beamrider

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Can you all say WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nice work!

Offline kurtus

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
And he's considering using a knurled copper pin with a stationary piece that has a solder point for positive lead.....been talking to him too lol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:24:41 PM by kurtus »

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
Yup! Thanks Kurtus I forgot to mention that. It'll be interesting to see what the turn around is.

Offline kurtus

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
hahaha I had my wording f right up and had to look at my email, fixed it

Offline kurtus

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:47 PM »
Yup! Thanks Kurtus I forgot to mention that. It'll be interesting to see what the turn around is.

I've asked him and he doesnt want to respond to the question so I don't think its going to happen really quick. Probably a few months at best but who knows for sure.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
No worries! Again, I'd like to thank Craig for the use of his plans.

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:32 PM »
Yeah, he may have been feeling a little sketchy with more than one person asking about the same set of plans. He didn’t want to step on any   bodies toes! I reassured his that he would be the one handling sales on his site so that anyone that wanted them could get them. Craig had made it clear he didn’t want to be on that end as a vendor. It’s a logical match with all the other items he carries. Personally I just want to have them available as it’ll help the entire modding family and I believe that’ll be a good thing!

Offline kurtus

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »
Yep big kudos to Craig for sure and thanks littlefeather, your on it and I'm leaving it at that but looking forward to seeing something soon for sure

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Very good. Thanks, probably better not to have too many cooks in the kitchen at once, lest the soup sours. I don't know if anybody else has contacted him about these. I believe I'll direct him to this thread just to alleviate any fears he may have and possibly quicken the process.

Offline CraigHB

• PV Master
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
No worries! Again, I'd like to thank Craig for the use of his plans.

You're welcome.  If he makes them available, it will be a bonus for me too.  I have a good stock of them, but if I ever run out, they'll be available for a lot less money and a lot less trouble than I went through to get them.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
Great news guys. Thanks Kurtus and Littlefeather and a special thanks to Craig.
If Fat Daddy see's the interest here, he may jump right on it. I know I'll be buying a bunch.

We may have to dedicate a thread just for the Fat Daddy 510's.

Offline kurtus

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
I'm in for 4 sets for sure, have a bunch of locals bugging me to start building them dna30's so I will be buying a whole lot in the future for sure if things go well on this first small sample run. I'm ready to buy them today darn it lol

Offline Littlefeather

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
Hey Folks!

Just got this in from Fat Daddy and wanted to run it by and see if anybody had any challenges with or a better idea. No pricing or availability at this time just need to make sure it'll be useable for our application. Better to have fresher eyes take a look. It has a floating pin incorporated. Let me know your thoughts!

Offline charming

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »
I wish I could help but it's all Greek to me.
Hoping some skilled person will jump in so this project gets going.

Offline kurtus

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »
Yeah I don't really know how to visualize this with the provided drawing either but if it works I say roll with it. If there is a tiny voltage drop due to the adjustability of the floating pin the dna will adjust for that anyways. I really hope this shows up sooner than later cause I am ready to buy a batch like now lol.

Does anyone know the over all dimensions of this as far as diameter and depth, just sort of curious if this will fit in my mods but I can't quite tell based on the images how it all goes together.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Parts for Mods  |  Topic: Source for quality 510 connectors?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx