gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
19852 Posts in 1275 Topics by 5182 Members - Latest Member: charbuild March 18, 2024, 10:33:30 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: The Spark-O-Matic - Wire Arc Welding for coil making
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Spark-O-Matic - Wire Arc Welding for coil making  (Read 501700 times)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
  • PLEASE participate in this forum
Re: The Spark-O-Matic - Wire Arc Welding for coil making
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
Using a strong spring clip is vital for a good weld. The smaller clips with the flat nose in the photos attached caused unsuccessful welds every time due to their weak tension. The stronger clips are alligator clips which I solder filled and filed for a flat surface.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
You calling my clips wussy  :laughing2:

I have been thinking about rigging up something like the below. The bottom post would be fixed, and thinking the top post could be held down and a switch added to release the charge....or maybe just a swift bonk on the center post????

food for thought anyway....I know for me that with good eyes and sometimes shaky hands getting the perfect wire touch is a pita.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:35:34 PM by bapgood »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
You calling my clips wussy  :laughing2:

I have been thinking about rigging up something like the below. The bottom post would be fixed, and thinking the top post could be held down and a switch added to release the charge....or maybe just a swift bonk on the center post????

food for thought anyway....I know for me that with good eyes and sometimes shaky hands getting the perfect wire touch is a pita.

That looks like and excellent idea Bradley. Could be the foolproof prototype. Now build it and let's know.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
I just have to say that (for tonight at least), I love Walmart...  She asked how many I wanted so I told her to just fill the bag.  In scavenging mode now...

ETA - I'm hoping to salvage one of the better Kodak housings for....well a housing  :rockin smiley:

2nd ETA - Just for giggles earlier I measured the juice coming off the transformer and two different units both output 286 volts, so there is a cap of sorts to what these flash circuits can do.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:07:31 AM by MidnighToker »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
I just have to say that (for tonight at least), I love Walmart...  She asked how many I wanted so I told her to just fill the bag.  In scavenging mode now...

ETA - I'm hoping to salvage one of the better Kodak housings for....well a housing  :rockin smiley:

2nd ETA - Just for giggles earlier I measured the juice coming off the transformer and two different units both output 286 volts, so there is a cap of sorts to what these flash circuits can do.

Looks like you hit the jackpot.... yeah!
Be careful opening them. Some caps may be charged.

Offline sovran

Re: The Spark-O-Matic - Coil Wire Arc Welding
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
Just as an FYI

Like most have indicated the fuji doesn't have any plain markings (Breaktru reported finding out they are 120uF)

The Polaroid, Westen Family, and Kodak cameras I have been inside of, all have labeled 120uf 330v caps

help me out a bit here. I have the fuji. the two little ribbon contacts, was originally hooked to the charge function. are these closed then just install a momentary switch on one leg of the cap to charge? then touch the alligator clips attached to the cap to discharge?  This thread has gotten too long for us simpletons. :)

Offline sovran

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »

Some? I have opened 3 so far and luckily I havent been caught in the arc. all 3 have discharged. I almost cant wait.... almost.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
Some? I have opened 3 so far and luckily I havent been caught in the arc. all 3 have discharged. I almost cant wait.... almost.
I had 10 and one zapped me so I started measuring at the cap and 3 had over 200 volts still on the caps.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
help me out a bit here. I have the fuji. the two little ribbon contacts, was originally hooked to the charge function. are these closed then just install a momentary switch on one leg of the cap to charge? then touch the alligator clips attached to the cap to discharge?  This thread has gotten too long for us simpletons. :)

I linked the time line to 7:47 to show where the contact wires go: http://youtu.be/ydwHahAbw2A?t=7m47s
Switch does not go on the cap.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

I wish I had pics of the other side of the PCB's or at home with my stockpile but it sounds like you have the AA Fuji (there are few more differences between the AA and AAA than I originally thought). If memory serves the AA Fuji had a couple pads with multiple solder lines...something like this ||||    ||||....and the AAA have a couple of wires running to a couple of solder points on the PCB. If its a AA Fuji wire one side of your switch to one of the |||| pads and the other side to the other |||| pad, if its a AAA Fuji then one side to one of the solder points and the other to the other.

If this doesn't help I can take pics later this afternoon.

Eidt....Like breaktru shows above /|\....On a AAA Fuji wire the momentary switch to the yellow/? wire location and the blue/green wire location.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:31:05 AM by bapgood »

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
Yeah. I managed to get most of them opened with just one little zap. It was when I was sorting and trying to make sure they were discharged that I got nailed good a few times. DO NOT USE THE BATTERY TERMINAL AS A HANDLE. I'm still trying to figure out WTF was getting me by holding that copper strip and using pliers to short a 10k resistor to drain the caps.

I'll try and get some closeups of the Fujis when I get home. Your momentary (charge switch) goes between the 2 pads that are like 3 or 4 parallel lines bunched up. There was a copper strip in the front half of the case that shorted those to charge the flash.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
I wish I had pics of the other side of the PCB's or at home with my stockpile but it sounds like you have the AA Fuji (there are few more differences between the AA and AAA than I originally thought). If memory serves the AA Fuji had a couple pads with multiple solder lines...something like this ||||    ||||....and the AAA have a couple of wires running to a couple of solder points on the PCB. If its a AA Fuji wire one side of your switch to one of the |||| pads and the other side to the other |||| pad, if its a AAA Fuji then one side to one of the solder points and the other to the other.

If this doesn't help I can take pics later this afternoon.

Eidt....Like breaktru shows above /|\....On a AAA Fuji wire the momentary switch to the yellow/? wire location and the blue/green wire location.
Now I see where there's some confusion.

There are TWO  (that I know of ATM) different Fuji boards.  One is using a AAA battery (which I believe is the one you are using bapgood.) and the the other is using a AA.  Seems that the AA model is the one that got the 120uf caps and the AAA got the 80uf ones.

This is the AAA version (that I have at least).  First pic is what it looks like when you first remove it, and the second shows the parallel lines for one side of the switch and I stuck a red wire stub where the other side goes. (Just above the "LM" in Fujufilm

And the AA version is OF COURSE completely different...... (momentary "charge" switch goes on each side of the groups of parallel lines)

Offline bapgood

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
One is using a AAA battery (which I believe is the one you are using bapgood.)

I'm actually using one of each.

I'll see your 32 and raise you 8  :D

I have been running the AA on 3.3 volts to see how it does. I would eventually like to have it running of a pc power supply converted to a bench unit.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
I'm actually using one of each.

I'll see your 32 and raise you 8  :D

I have been running the AA on 3.3 volts to see how it does. I would eventually like to have it running of a pc power supply converted to a bench unit.
NICE!

I've actually been running them @ 1.2v on NiMH with iffy luck.  Will have to try a slightly drained Li-ion to see if that does any better.  Thinking it'll simply charge it faster  >:(

(I actually just keep ripping the 80uf caps off and stacking them with the 120's....don't think I've tried 4 yet :thumbsup:

Offline sovran

« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
I have the AA model. In midnighttokers last pic, in the bottom right you can barely make out the 2 ribbon contacts I was referring to. Understand I have never used a disposable camera but the case said lift for continuous flash which activated these contacts. I understand you cant have continuous flash since it takes time for cap to charge. What do you do with these contacts? Open or closed?

Breakthru I will have to watch that clip several times when not at work. I am pretty sure where one of the wires went but not the other, assuming this is the same board. When I get home I will solder the other two caps in parallel then rewatch the vid until I get it. Thank you all.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I have the AA model. In midnighttokers last pic, in the bottom right you can barely make out the 2 ribbon contacts I was referring to. Understand I have never used a disposable camera but the case said lift for continuous flash which activated these contacts. I understand you cant have continuous flash since it takes time for cap to charge. What do you do with these contacts? Open or closed?

Breakthru I will have to watch that clip several times when not at work. I am pretty sure where one of the wires went but not the other, assuming this is the same board. When I get home I will solder the other two caps in parallel then rewatch the vid until I get it. Thank you all.

sovran, that is why you solder one side of the momentary switch to one of the pads and the other side of the switch to the other pad. That way when you push the momentary switch its only charging while your pushing it and stops when you let off, you do this while watching the meter to see what voltage your at.

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're asking about what to do with those contacts after you're wiring you're final setup???

Remove them. That is where you would put your momentary charge switch.

(I honestly have no clue what that "continuous change" meant other than that once the caps are "full", they really won't draw any more current than the transformer is putting out, so it's just like holding the charge switch down.

Offline sovran

« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
OK so leave those contacts open and by soldering to the pads you are bypassing that part of the circuit if I understand correctly.

Offline bapgood

« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Sovran, sorry I didn't read close enough when you said last pic bottom right.....

You are talking about these things I believe. These are cut off and not used, they are what release the capacitor charge into the flash bulb on the camera.

These are the pads for wiring the momentary switch to. Sorry my square got a little big, but the vertical line pads.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:23:35 PM by bapgood »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
Sovran, sorry I didn't read close enough when you said last pic bottom right.....

You are talking about these things I believe. These are cut off and not used, they are what release the capacitor charge into the flash bulb on the camera.

These are the pads for wiring the momentary switch to. Sorry my square got a little big, but the vertical line pads.

I concur... yes em

The extended contacts trigger the flash bulb which we are not using. You can leave it on the board and just cut off the copper tangs.
The momentary/charge switch which is wired to the pads will charge the caps.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:32:54 PM by Breaktru »

Offline bapgood

« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »
I lied earlier about the AAA Fuji having wires, it actually has a clip.

I will try to show the differences and the connections.

The one on the left is the AAA Fuji....The right is the AA Fuji

Here is the AAA...Left to Right...New - Battery and charge clips removed - orange wires to momentary switch, red to battery positive, black to battery negative

Here is the AA...Left to Right...New - Battery clips removed (some have left on the battery clips and used them) - brown wires to momentary switch, red to battery positive, black to battery negative

Just a note the battery + and - are opposite relative to the board orientation between the AA and AAA Fuji

Offline sovran

« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
Thanks. I got this now. Plenty of time to to practice my wire welding skills while I wait for a terminator.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »
Capacitor voltage is being drained due to the Low Input Impedance of the Digital Meters I bought.
A 10M or more input impedance is recommended.
The two meters were connected separately for the test. The video show two together.
Meters were from www.wonmeter.com I don't recommend them.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guuOceE0t0k&feature=youtu.be

I calculated the input impedance of the two meters.
The top meter 0-100v is 76k
The bottom 0-333.3v is 985k
See HERE for details.

Update:
By adding a resistor in series with the Low Input Impedance of the panel meter, you can prevent bleed down of the cap voltage.
Calculate the resistor to match your DMM voltage to the panel meter. Total resistance should be around 10M ohm. I used the 0-333.3v meter and got it to read 7.50v which on the DMM is really 75v.
The internal input impedance of 985k for the PM is close to a 1M ohm so adding approximately 9M ohm will do it. Trial and error was used to get accurate results.

This is the meter I use for my OHM and Volt Welder. It is a 100M ohm High input impedance: DIGITAL PANEL METER, LCD,2.7 INCH x 1.7 INCH
You will also need this: Used to finely tune your panel meter.

USER MANUAL
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:30:41 AM by Breaktru »

Offline bapgood

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
Capacitor voltage is being drained due to the Low Input Impedance of the Digital Meters.
The two meters were connected separately for the test. The video show two together.
Meters were from www.wonmeter.com

Bummer  :thumbsdwn2:

Offline Papa Hoyt

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
So is there anyway off adding impedance without affecting voltage reading? I am pretty sure the answer will be short.........

So where can we get these meters with 10m or more impedance?

Offline bapgood

« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
So is there anyway off adding impedance without affecting voltage reading? I am pretty sure the answer will be short.........

I use this $20 dmm from harbor freight and it works and seems decent all around. Its just a dmm.....I'm also waiting for breaktru to find a good meter/display  :yes"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:49:21 PM by bapgood »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »

The answer is short... NO. without affecting the voltage reading.
However, by adding a resistor in series to the meter, I was able to get the meter very stable with NO drop. The consequence is an incorrect LOW reading. If you can deal with that, it will work. I tried to go as low as I can. A 1 meg ohm was N/G so I used two 10megs in parallel with the resulting resistance of 5 meg. Worked good. So now my 75.00v shows as 12.00v on the meter.

Offline Papa Hoyt

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
I would rather just buy a meter that will work so I can build a self contained unit.

if anyone finds one I am sure that others would like this as well and if i find one then I will be sure to post it right here

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
Capacitor voltage is being drained due to the Low Input Impedance of the Digital Meters.
Meters were from www.wonmeter.com

I calculated the input impedance of the two meters.
The top meter 0-100v is 76k
The bottom 0-333.3v is 985k
This ALMOST makes me want to check my DMMs to see where they are, but as the drop off stops after a few that makes too much extra work.  Can spend that time dissecting and breaking so many other things...... (And with the price tag they carried, they'd BETTER be stable enough dammit!)

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »
It's really approximately 74.7v with a 10meg resistor in series w/ the panel meter which is now very stable and prevents cap bleed down. Meter had a low input impedance of less than 1M ohm.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:17:31 AM by Breaktru »

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »
This video was in the Simplified Electronics, Easy Tutorial section of this forum:

Video:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWMF3VkI6U>
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:32:51 AM by Breaktru »

Online charming

« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
I made a Sparkomatic with a camera flash rather than a dc converter. It's cheap and easy and works great. I do not see why some are bent on voltage, capacitance, spark flash, yada, yada yada. I put the wires together and zap. I made a coil. It's as easy as that. Thanks buddy.
Oh, I used one extra cap like you did. Basically I followed your instructions.  :thankyou:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
Successful welds one after the other. Can't be any easier.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6csTiN9nM00&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:33:39 AM by Breaktru »

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »
Great job!  Pretty fine work lining those wires up by the looks ....I'd have to do it under the cc tv magnifier lol.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
Great job!  Pretty fine work lining those wires up by the looks ....I'd have to do it under the cc tv magnifier lol.

Thanks, had to do it by eye too. Got to hook up my laptop to the camera next time so I can see it magnified like shown in the video.

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »
Thanks, had to do it by eye too. Got to hook up my laptop to the camera next time so I can see it magnified like shown in the video.

There's probably a way to make some sort of fixture that will hold the wire in place.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
There's probably a way to make some sort of fixture that will hold the wire in place.

We thought about it and some had good ideas but no one has actually made one. I have one end secured in a fixed clip and the other I use two hands while braced against my bench. Still a bit shaky but better.

I did make something out of the hollow of a Bic Pen with two bolts. One on top, one on the bottom with leads attached. A pin hole in the middle of the pen tube for the wires. I rammed the top bolt down to make contact for welding. Didn't work too good.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
Another Spark-O-Matic w/ multi-function binding posts.
See attached............

Offline bapgood

« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
Another Spark-O-Matic w/ multi-function binding posts.
See attached............

Now your just getting fancy  :yes"....but where is the display fancy pants  :Thinking:

Haha looks good

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
Now your just getting fancy  :yes"....but where is the display fancy pants  :Thinking:

Haha looks good

Ha, ha, keeping costs down. This is not for me.

Offline xMackx

« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »
Can't wait to try making one of these things for myself when i get a camera.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
Can't wait to try making one of these things for myself when i get a camera.
Hey Mack, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy making and using it.
Picked up a few more freebie cameras at the local chain pharmacy.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:34:38 AM by Breaktru »

Offline kortt

• what happened Muskie?
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
Just getting better and better!  :rockin smiley:

Offline MidnighToker

« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »
Dammit!!!  I can NOT get any decent welds on this.  Gotta get some nickel NR wire to try.  I've tried 5 different types of clips, varying the voltage, adding/removing caps.  Still always get this crappy little spot weld that won't hold for shit.

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Dammit!!!  I can NOT get any decent welds on this.  Gotta get some nickel NR wire to try.  I've tried 5 different types of clips, varying the voltage, adding/removing caps.  Still always get this crappy little spot weld that won't hold for $#!+.

Here is what I found and reconfirmed it with making more Spark-O's. The Capacitance that works is exactly 340uF. Not more, Not less. I've tried it. The voltage that works is 74v-75v. Not higher not lower. Not even by one volt. Depending on your meter calibration it might be slightly different.

Oh.. forgot to mention. I've used FujiFilm and Kodak and both results the same.

Online ChainVaper

« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
Here is what I found and reconfirmed it with making more Spark-O's. The Capacitance that works is exactly 340uF. Not more, Not less. I've tried it. The voltage that works is 74v-75v. Not higher not lower. Not even by one volt. Depending on your meter calibration it might be slightly different.

Oh.. forgot to mention. I've used FujiFilm and Kodak and both results the same.

I was going crazy trying to weld. I had given up but now I can do it too. Thanks Dave. I did exactly as you mentioned and Wa-La... success!
Good thing I had extra cameras. Got about 5 from a photo Dev store.
And also some practice helped. Got my stock of coils now and ready to go.

Sorry Dave, I've been stalking these threads and haven't logged on since Sept. While the forum was in maintenance mode, I read your notice about contributing to the forum by logging on and posting. Well here it is and thank you for all your hard work on this wonderful forum.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:47:49 PM by ChainVaper »

Offline urquidezj

« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
awesome progress breaktru
good thing i got midnight toker on this, cuz i have ZERO idea whats going on here hehe, threw the headache on him.
dam i havent posted since i started vaping lol  :laughing2:

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
awesome progress breaktru
good thing i got midnight toker on this, cuz i have ZERO idea whats going on here hehe, threw the headache on him.
dam i havent posted since i started vaping lol  :laughing2:

Good to see you participating. We will try to get Midnight to get it down pat. Hey Toker, can you at least weld Nichrome to Nichrome or Kanthal to Kanthal as a test?

Online Breaktru

• Administrator
  • PV Master
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
I just added another schematic/drawing for the Kodak boards at: Kodak type boards Log on to see images.

Breaktru Forum  |  eCigarette Forum  |  Modding  |  Topic: The Spark-O-Matic - Wire Arc Welding for coil making

gfxgfx
gfx gfx